• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blocky

Blocky goes back through the Stargate...

Good day.

Other than playing around with it, do you really like the slinghshot? It's something I've been contemplating when I get back to PL.

8 hours ago, Blocky said:

- Did a little Russian-ing.

Then slow down.

4 hours ago, Grumble said:

Other than playing around with it, do you really like the slinghshot? It's something I've been contemplating when I get back to PL.

I haven't really found a good way to program it in regularly.

I really only use it as a different variation to cycle through OR after a couple of bad weeks when I need a confidence boost OR when I feel like doing something stupid. I only get it out every 5-8 weeks.

I think it'll pay off in about 5 years when my shoulders are trashed and I still want to bench but for now I could live without it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thur 29 & Fri 30 Nov

________________________________________________________________________________

Training

Thurs

Did some cardio... reluctantly. Bike and rowing.

Fri

Dynamic Effort Lower:

- SSB Box Squats with 10kg chain. 8 doubles with 125kg... they were fast-ish but I was a little sluggish all round. I then YOLO'd some singles up to a new PR of 165kg + chains. It was much harder than I expected but looked OK on film.

- Comp DL: triples up to 160kg... Finding DL really tough and this was 15kg under where I want to be.

- Comp SQ: 8s up to 85kg.

- Good mornings and leg pressing for accessories.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Other stuff

- Noooope.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I did some random googling and found 2 of my favourite things smooshed together... Stargate and LEGO!

1206919655-SPLASH.jpg  2b075972f39d74ad050bff91b193e373.jpg

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +9 STR

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 4/10 sessions  +2 CON

Learn An Alien Language (INT GOAL): 3/10 hours  +1 INT

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blocky said:

I did some random googling and found 2 of my favourite things smooshed together... Stargate and LEGO!

1206919655-SPLASH.jpg  2b075972f39d74ad050bff91b193e373.jpg

I think the thing on the right is an armoured banana. But I have never watched stargate, so I might be wrong. Yuck, 39 degrees? Is it humid also? I always used to feel quite terrible in my home town in the summer, even in the low 30s, because of the humidity. And the fact that it was scarcely cooler at night. Who wants to seep when just lying on the mattress makes you hot? 

14 minutes ago, Harriet said:

But I have never watched stargate,

please watch....it's wonderful on many different levels...there is a great reason that it ran on TV for soooo damn long (I think SG1 is still the longest running sci-fi show, not longest running property, but longest show/installment)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, farflight said:

please watch....it's wonderful on many different levels...there is a great reason that it ran on TV for soooo damn long (I think SG1 is still the longest running sci-fi show, not longest running property, but longest show/installment)

If you count X-files as scifi then X files has 11 seasons and SG1 only 10... but 10 is still pretty good considering that scifi shows only seem to average 3.

Edit: Fuck... forgot the new Dr Who... also on season 11.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yuck, 39 degrees? Is it humid also? I always used to feel quite terrible in my home town in the summer, even in the low 30s, because of the humidity. And the fact that it was scarcely cooler at night. Who wants to seep when just lying on the mattress makes you hot? 

No humidity at the moment... super dry and now most of the state is on fire... again...

• Like 1

Sat 1 Dec

________________________________________________________________________________

Training

Repetition Effort Upper:

- Closegrip Bench: Was aiming at sets of 3 at something reasonably heavy... decided to do some over warmups and ended up setting a new 1RM at 125kg, then dropping down and setting a new 3RM at 112.5kg, then dropping to 100kg for another 3 x 3.

My brain is weird yo!... I have felt super shitty all day (We had chinese foodz last night and I think the MSG really knocked me around) - felt really light headed, fatigues and shaky most of the day... I was really dreading training today and then managed to set 2 new PRs... Henceforth, I will ignore my brain and just do the work... it always seem to work out.

- Push Press: 8s up to 55kg

- BB Rows: 8s up to 70kg

- Superset (x4) of pushups and supine rows

- Superset of facepulls and hammer curls

Other stuff

- Did a lot of housework today... cleaned out the laundry and had to wash down the walls and everything... took quite a few hours.

- Watched an interesting vid from JTS regarding maximum recoverable volume... now I need to analyse my training to see if I'm doing too much work or not enough work... after watching the vid, I have a suspicion that I'm doing too much work on my squat and DL days.

- Put together my next 3 week training block which starts on 10 Dec.

Still need to get in 1 more hour of Russian-ing this week.

Moar LEGO stargate!!!!!!

1472940606m-SPLASH.jpg

18lvkjpfkmqzyjpg.jpg

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +11 STR

• Like 1

22 hours ago, farflight said:

Oops, posted without typing. I shall take your recommendation and watch. I like a good sci fi or fantasy show. I'm just turned off because films seem to get more and more violent each year :/

But this is an older show right? So it should be okay. I don't mind things blowing up or enemies getting shot. I just hate agonising close ups of extreme violence against non-combatants: women, children, someone's old dad, the twiggy scientist holding a beaker. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blocky said:

No humidity at the moment... super dry and now most of the state is on fire... again...

I clicked like, but it was a sympathetic like. I wish the country would stop catching fire. Oh well, apparently all the schoolchildren are taking time of school to tell our government they're useless. 

6 hours ago, Blocky said:

- Closegrip Bench: Was aiming at sets of 3 at something reasonably heavy... decided to do some over warmups and ended up setting a new 1RM at 125kg, then dropping down and setting a new 3RM at 112.5kg, then dropping to 100kg for another 3 x 3.

My brain is weird yo!... I have felt super shitty all day (We had chinese foodz last night and I think the MSG really knocked me around) - felt really light headed, fatigues and shaky most of the day... I was really dreading training today and then managed to set 2 new PRs... Henceforth, I will ignore my brain and just do the work... it always seem to work out.

I'm still amazed by the gigantic bench. Did it take you long to achieve? (I'm currently benching 34kg after 10 months of effort. I think I accidentally rolled a sorcerer with no stats to speak of. Mustn't complain though, could be worse. could be a slime mould.)

Yes, muchly, to the ignoring the brain. I have learned this lesson. Nothing can tell me whether I'll manage a lift except attempting it. Attempt all the lifts!!!

On 12/2/2018 at 2:43 AM, Harriet said:

But this is an older show right? So it should be okay. I don't mind things blowing up or enemies getting shot. I just hate agonising close ups of extreme violence against non-combatants: women, children, someone's old dad, the twiggy scientist holding a beaker. 

Yes... SG1 is classic 90s... lots of sparks and explosions, lots of people falling over (often comically) and groaning BUT very little blood (if any).

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 2:52 AM, Harriet said:

I'm still amazed by the gigantic bench. Did it take you long to achieve? (I'm currently benching 34kg after 10 months of effort. I think I accidentally rolled a sorcerer with no stats to speak of. Mustn't complain though, could be worse. could be a slime mould).

It's taken a lot longer than it should have (due to a wonky shoulder)... I'm going in to my 9th year of focussed lifting.

I had at least a year when I could not get anything above 90kg regardless of different programs and recently about 18 months where I was stuck at 120kg... Just gotta keep grinding.

It's also worth remembering that other people are likely bigger than you are. When I jumped from 110 to 120kg I had also bulked to 115kg so still pretty much a bodyweight bench

• Like 2

Mon 3 Dec

Training

Max Effort Lower:

DL vs 20 kg bands: I really underestimated how hard this was going to be. The band tension kicks in right where I should be accelerating, making the whole lift a massive grind. I managed 180kg + 20kg bands for a single, which felt slow but is still a new 1RM with this setup.

Comp SQ: worked up to a max set of 5 at 120kg, then stripped 20% and did 3 more sets of 5.

Deficit DLs: I did 100kg for 3 sets of 8 beltless... just didn't feel like I could go much heavier without dying today.

Accessories: Lunges and back extensions.

Other stuff

- Accidently fell down the rabbit hole yesterday of watching a ton of youtube vids about easter eggs in computer games... What a time waster.

- Did not get my Russian done yesterday (just forgot)... so no points for that.

Moar LEGO stargate!!!!!!

27429846451-332a55bf89-b.jpg  b94938a9e6fff7fb8bed231b-full.jpg

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +12 STR

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Blocky said:

DL vs 20 kg bands: I really underestimated how hard this was going to be. The band tension kicks in right where I should be accelerating, making the whole lift a massive grind.

that sounds brutal! do you have a video somewhere of this?

11 hours ago, Blocky said:

Yes... SG1 is classic 90s... lots of sparks and explosions, lots of people falling over (often comically) and groaning BUT very little blood (if any).

Yay, sparks and falling over! I can watch that!

11 hours ago, Blocky said:

It's taken a lot longer than it should have (due to a wonky shoulder)... I'm going in to my 9th year of focussed lifting.

I had at least a year when I could not get anything above 90kg regardless of different programs and recently about 18 months where I was stuck at 120kg... Just gotta keep grinding.

It's also worth remembering that other people are likely bigger than you are. When I jumped from 110 to 120kg I had also bulked to 115kg so still pretty much a bodyweight bench

Oh yeah, I'm not 115kg. That probably makes a difference. I should stop and reflect-- I never imagined before starting that I would get a 0.5 bodyweight bench, but I did. Now onward to the 0.75!!!  It is also excellent to hear stories about plateaus overcome. What got you out of that 18 month thing, if not the programme? 

Tue 4 Dec

Training

Cardio... Done. Crazyball swings and jump rope

lots of 1 arm farmer's walks for the ol' obliques

Other stuff

- Put together 2 bedside tables that were more rubicks cube than furniture...

Moar LEGO stargate!!!!!!

38685.png

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +12 STR

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 5/10 sessions  +2 CON

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Harriet said:

What got you out of that 18 month thing, if not the programme? 

Perserverance mostly...

getting fatter helped... I now have aback up plan when nothing else works: get fatter>increase strength>train enough that the strength sticks>cut back down

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blocky said:

Perserverance mostly...

getting fatter helped... I now have aback up plan when nothing else works: get fatter>increase strength>train enough that the strength sticks>cut back down

Interesting... I go through phases of thinking I'm too weak and need to eat more, and phases of thinking I'm too fat and need to eat less. But I'm not really mentally prepared to cut calories again (probably won't be for a long time) so I don't want to bulk properly either because I'll have no way back. Anyway, perseverance is something I can do. 

12 hours ago, Blocky said:

- Put together 2 bedside tables that were more rubicks cube than furniture...

Yes, now we want to see the puzzle furniture. 

10 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

gotta love rubiks furniture

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

Yes, now we want to see the puzzle furniture. 

I think the worst thing is, that they are really nothing special to look at.... just a wooden box with metal legs. But it seems that the company went out of its way to over-complicate it.

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

Interesting... I go through phases of thinking I'm too weak and need to eat more, and phases of thinking I'm too fat and need to eat less.

Yes. This is my life. My way around it is to have 1 goal (ie: getting stronger)... then on my fat days, I ask myself "will cutting help me get stronger... no... Don't be a dick"...

Having said that, I do have a maximum fatness that I'll allow... once my lifting belt only buckles on the sixth hole, then I'm too fat.

Wed 5 Dec

Training

Max Effort Upper

- Bench + 18kg chains: Top single at 120kg + chains. This an equal PR. My benching with chains has taken a dive recently which is weird because all my other bench variations are going up... not entirely sure what the deal is.

- Normal Bench: sets of 5 up to a new 5RM of 105kg - this stellar increase has gone up 0.5kg. Last time I did a linear progression, I microloaded my bench over several weeks to a 5RM of 104.5. I'll take it though.

- Pendlay Rows: sets of 3 up to new 3RM of 102.5kg.

- 4 x giant sets of: DB benching, TRX rows, tricep extensions and hammer curls.

Other stuff

- Nope.

Moar LEGO stargate!!!!!!

45502567092-638bde3456-z.jpg

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +14 STR

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 5/10 sessions  +2 CON

• Like 2