• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blocky

Blocky goes back through the Stargate...

10 hours ago, Blocky said:

Having said that, I do have a maximum fatness that I'll allow... once my lifting belt only buckles on the sixth hole, then I'm too fat.

Critical mass

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Blocky said:

Yes. This is my life. My way around it is to have 1 goal (ie: getting stronger)... then on my fat days, I ask myself "will cutting help me get stronger... no... Don't be a dick"...

Having said that, I do have a maximum fatness that I'll allow... once my lifting belt only buckles on the sixth hole, then I'm too fat.

Okay, that's a very objective measure, which could be helpful. I don't think I actually change much in fatness, just in thoughts. On moment I'm like "Girl, you're okay. You're a normal size and you're getting fitter". Then I see some fitness girls with very slim legs and I'm like "OMG did you think you were normal and okay? You're definitely not okay". But then when it comes time to skip food I'm like "Actually I'm a normal size and I need food for lifting". And it goes round and round. 

• Like 3

On 12/1/2018 at 2:18 AM, Blocky said:

- Closegrip Bench: Was aiming at sets of 3 at something reasonably heavy... decided to do some over warmups and ended up setting a new 1RM at 125kg, then dropping down and setting a new 3RM at 112.5kg, then dropping to 100kg for another 3 x 3.

My brain is weird yo!... I have felt super shitty all day (We had chinese foodz last night and I think the MSG really knocked me around) - felt really light headed, fatigues and shaky most of the day... I was really dreading training today and then managed to set 2 new PRs... Henceforth, I will ignore my brain and just do the work... it always seem to work out.

Noice!

Yeah, the brain is deceptive. It's always looking for reasons to try slightly less hard. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 12:15 AM, CourtnieMarie said:

nice PRs!! i wonder if the chains bench being stagnant has to do with balance/stability problems?

Probably more to do with accelaration from the bottom position... I've been doing a lot of grinding reps over the last 6 months trying to put on some mass that I've prob lost a lot of speed.

Time to add some speed work back in and see what happens.

• Like 1

Thur 6 and Fri 7 Dec

________________________________________________________________________________

Training

Thurs:

Cardio done. More kettle bells and cycling. Also did several longer trips with the 1-arm farmer's walks.

Fri:

Dynamic Effort Lower

So, this was a weird one... I woke up in the middle of the night, all excited, thinking about how I could change out my next 3 week wave of speed squats for single ply squats. Then I couldn't get back to sleep because I wanted to go try it out.

This picture seems appropriate again....

AegDr3S.png

- Single-ply Box squats with SSB: 12 doubles with 140kg/308lbs, then YOLO'd some singles up to 190kg (a 15kg PR).

- DLs: I had planned 3 singles at 180kg, but ended up with 1 at 180kg, 1 at 185kg and 1 at 190kg (my best DL this year has been 200kg).

- Accessories: comp squats, good mornings and leg press - all done fairly light because I was spent.

Holy shit this was a hard training session... Even though the suit adds a ton of support to the hips, it doesn't help the knees or upper back at all... so that's a lot of volume and intensity for the ol' knees.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Other stuff

- This year has been a fucker for appliances. We've had the pool filter repaired, the washing machine replaced and today our new fridge came. And it was a battle. Mrs Blocky had measured up the fridge hole and picked one that would only just fit... but she hadn't measured any of the DOORS that it had to fit through to get into the house. So 1 hour later, I had removed both doors and had bits of fridge everywhere.

Nothing is easy...

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Moar LEGO stargate!!!!!!

31680409258-face2fde9d-z.jpg

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +15 STR

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 6/10 sessions  +3 CON

Learn An Alien Language (INT GOAL): 3/10 hours  +1 INT

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Blocky said:

Even though the suit adds a ton of support to the hips

wait i missed something about this suit you reference

and you gotta be kidding me with the fridge. you are a saint.

8 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

wait i missed something about this suit you reference

and you gotta be kidding me with the fridge. you are a saint.

I was using a single-ply centurion squat suit to overload my squatting.

I am soooo done with appliances... to be fair the only other things we own that haven't broken yet are the stove and microwave... aslthough I've just realised that my computer is on it;s way out too (but at leasts it's quite old and has done a good job)...

• Like 1

Sat 8 Dec

________________________________________________________________________________

Training

Repetition Effort Upper

- Closegrip Bench: 5's up to 100kg (rough 95% of 5RM).

- Push Press: 3's up to 72.5kg (NEW 3RM!)

- Pushups and supine rows.

- Facepulls and curls.

Didn't push too hard today, just a little bit mentally fatigued. The Push press PR was a nice get though. I don't train it often and it's been a long time between PRs. New 3 week block starts Monday!

Other stuff

- Did at least 2 hours of Russian and then had a 2 hour Russian lesson. I'm working on putting all my written notes into Excel and then hyperlinking all the words and sections together.

XekgmIB.jpg

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +16 STR

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 6/10 sessions  +3 CON

Learn An Alien Language (INT GOAL): 3/10 hours  +2 INT

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Blocky said:

Training

Repetition Effort Upper

- Closegrip Bench: 5's up to 100kg (rough 95% of 5RM).

- Push Press: 3's up to 72.5kg (NEW 3RM!)

- Pushups and supine rows.

- Facepulls and curls.

Didn't push too hard today, just a little bit mentally fatigued. The Push press PR was a nice get though. I don't train it often and it's been a long time between PRs. New 3 week block starts Monday!

Yay PR! That's like 165 pounds you're lifting overhead, right? Mad. I've never seen anyone at my gym do anything like that. 

On 12/8/2018 at 1:22 PM, Harriet said:

Yay PR! That's like 165 pounds you're lifting overhead, right? Mad. I've never seen anyone at my gym do anything like that. 

It's a lot of weight. (Speaking from experience)

TBF, push press lets you use leg drive to lift more weight than strict overhead press. It seems like a duh, but they have different goals, so it gets overlooked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

TBF, push press lets you use leg drive to lift more weight than strict overhead press. It seems like a duh, but they have different goals, so it gets overlooked.

Of course you can already press that much :D So, today when I set up for my (tiny, 60lb) OHP, the dude next to me was push pressing something like 155. I've seen this guy around before, and he once made a sympathetic comment when I was struggling with the dodecahedron plates (rolling about on the deadlift). I'm also disposed to like him because he looks like a powerlifter--not as lean as the college boys but lifting a lot more. Plus he has a beard. Definitely a dwarven warrior. So I told him his lift was pure madness and he seemed happy.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Of course you can already press that much

I realized that sounded braggy and it was not meant to be. I was just affirming how strong Blocky is (stronger than me)

:D So, today when I set up for my (tiny, 60lb) OHP, the dude next to me was push pressing something like 155. I've seen this guy around before, and he once made a sympathetic comment when I was struggling with the dodecahedron plates (rolling about on the deadlift).

https://hexbumper.com I own these and backed them on kickstarter. Absolute fucking amazing for deadlifghting with hex plates and honestly one of my staples at the gym, even if I don't DL. They're 2.5 lbs each and those tiny plates are impossible to find in a commercial gym.

I'm also disposed to like him because he looks like a powerlifter--not as lean as the college boys but lifting a lot more. Plus he has a beard. Definitely a dwarven warrior. So I told him his lift was pure madness and he seemed happy.  

The very best compliment you can pay to a powerlifter.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

I realized that sounded braggy and it was not meant to be. I was just affirming how strong Blocky is (stronger than me)

https://hexbumper.com I own these and backed them on kickstarter. Absolute fucking amazing for deadlifghting with hex plates and honestly one of my staples at the gym, even if I don't DL. They're 2.5 lbs each and those tiny plates are impossible to find in a commercial gym.

The very best compliment you can pay to a powerlifter.

You're totally allowed to brag a little. Other people's awesome lifts make me happy to read about. Oh, interesting. So if you're mighty and lift 4 plates a side you need 8 of them though. 

Yes, and I knew he was a true warrior when he confessed that he himself was intimidated by the weights he was attempting. Defeat fear! Rock on! 

2 minutes ago, Harriet said:

So if you're mighty and lift 4 plates a side you need 8 of them though. 

Nope. The recommended weight for each pair is 600 lbs. So I wouldn't need a second until I got past 6 45 plates, a pair of 5s, a pair of 2.5s, and the bar. So, Plenty of life for a single set of hexbumpers. 

5 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Nope. The recommended weight for each pair is 600 lbs. So I wouldn't need a second until I got past 6 45 plates, a pair of 5s, a pair of 2.5s, and the bar. So, Plenty of life for a single set of hexbumpers. 

Ah, so the other dodecahedron 45 plates don't roll because they now have a slightly smaller diameter than the caterpillar-ed plate?

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Ah, so the other dodecahedron 45 plates don't roll because they now have a slightly smaller diameter than the caterpillar-ed plate?

Yea, it adds about a half an inch to the plate. I'll put up a video sometime in the next week or so and show you what it's like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

I do something a little similar in my home gym (obvs for a different purpose). I leave a 45lbs bumper plate on each end of my deadlift bar - they are about 2mm bigger in diameter than my iron plates, which means I can slip the iron plates on and off easily without needing to lift the bar or get a deadlift jack. Incredibly convenient.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 7:22 AM, Harriet said:

I actually have a lady (coming in to her 50s) that I train that can out do me on pressing overhead. She's hit a 1RM push press of 82.5kg... mine is 80kg.

7 hours ago, Grumble said:

As a powerlifter, I see NO benefit in doing heavy strict pressing. The push press is more athletic, it's more intergrated as a system and teaches timing of leg drive and pressing. It also takes a bit of stress of the teeny tiny shoulder muscles and reduces injury risk. I'll still do strict pressing but it's lighter and for more reps.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Grumble said:

I was just affirming how strong Blocky is (stronger than me)

It's because you insist on running around like a lunatic....

• Haha 3

Mon 10 and Tue 11 Dec

Training

Monday:

Max Effort Lower

- Box Squats from a lower box. 1RM of 150kg. It's kinda a PR because I've never maxed from a low box. It's exponentially harder than my normal box height.

- DLs: 3s up to 150kg

- Comp Squats: 3s up to 115kg

- Accessories - SL DLs and a ton of air squats.

Today was truly miserable. I made the mistake of couching all Sunday and today I was stiff, sore, tired.

I've also found the point of critical mass with regards to fatness. I was bloated from shitty eating over the weekend, the belt was tight, the tightness pushed my blood pressure sky high, which in turn gave me a shocking headache, which in turn destroyed my motivation. Everything I touch was about 20kg UNDER what I wanted. Let's call it a deload and move on.

Tuesday:

Operation: Be less fat has begun.

Went for a 1 hour hike with a weight vest. Gonna try and do that at least once a week. Still need to do some farmer's walks and stretching later today.

EDIT: Couldn't face farmer's walks, so I settled for some dedicated oblique work but still did my stretching.

Other stuff

- Nope.

a33e32560dce6b04677f0bad894f29a0-stargat

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +16 STR

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 7/10 sessions  +3 CON

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Blocky said:

I actually have a lady (coming in to her 50s) that I train that can out do me on pressing overhead. She's hit a 1RM push press of 82.5kg... mine is 80kg.

As a powerlifter, I see NO benefit in doing heavy strict pressing. The push press is more athletic, it's more intergrated as a system and teaches timing of leg drive and pressing. It also takes a bit of stress of the teeny tiny shoulder muscles and reduces injury risk. I'll still do strict pressing but it's lighter and for more reps.

NO WAY, that is PURE MADNESS!!! (you must now visualise power-calculating eye-glass-computers shattering, broken by heretofore unknown power levels).

Interesting. I have been kind of wondering if I really need two types of press (including bench) and whether I'd be better off using OHP day for developing my super weak pulling muscles.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

Interesting. I have been kind of wondering if I really need two types of press (including bench) and whether I'd be better off using OHP day for developing my super weak pulling muscles.

I think BOTH are important... but I would focus on horizontal pressing (ie: benching) for strength and do overhead work for reps to keep the shoulders healthy. I do both on the same day (I also row on the same day).

One of the major problems with beginner strength programs is the lack of accessory work.

• Like 2

Wed 12 Dec

Training

Max Effort Upper

- Bench vs 10kg chains: New 1 RM of 122.5kg. Still wobbly as fuck though.

- Comp Bench: 6 doubles at 105kg. Started wobbly but improved as I went.

- DB Bench: I upped the ante and started using the 25kg DBs. 3 x 12, followed by the 20kg DBs with 16.

- Cable Row: Finally got my cable stack working again (one of the guide rails was bent a little which added a lot of friction). 10s up to 55kg.

- Pushdowns and curls until my arms wouldn't work.

I'm making a focused effort this training block to really push the accessory work to failure. I feel like I've been playing it safe and quitting when it gets hard.

Other stuff

- Mowing... lots of mowing.

spoofpark01.jpg

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +17 STR

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 7/10 sessions  +3 CON

• Like 2

On 12/10/2018 at 5:58 PM, Blocky said:

Today was truly miserable. I made the mistake of couching all Sunday and today I was stiff, sore, tired.

I've also found the point of critical mass with regards to fatness. I was bloated from shitty eating over the weekend, the belt was tight, the tightness pushed my blood pressure sky high, which in turn gave me a shocking headache, which in turn destroyed my motivation. Everything I touch was about 20kg UNDER what I wanted. Let's call it a deload and move on.

Ouch, that sounds terrible. Yep, it was definitely an intentional, programmatically prudent deload and will certainly make your next workout stronger.

On 12/10/2018 at 10:40 PM, Blocky said:

I think BOTH are important... but I would focus on horizontal pressing (ie: benching) for strength and do overhead work for reps to keep the shoulders healthy. I do both on the same day (I also row on the same day).

One of the major problems with beginner strength programs is the lack of accessory work.

Okay, shoulder health. I didn't think about that. But yeah, I have been finding that just having three sets of three exercises three times per week wasn't enough to get stronger. I added in lighter versions of everything, with dumbbells or what have you, and am finally seeing some improvement in my heavy lifts. 

• Like 1

Fri 14 Dec

Training

Dynamic Effort Lower

- SSB BxSQ in single ply suit: 10 dubs with 145kg, then YOLO'd singles up to a new 1RM of 195kg. Damn near killed me. I'm still hungry for the 200kg next week though.

- DLs: 4 doubles with 160kg (roughly 80% of current max). Felt pretty good. Up to 165kg next week.

- Comp Squats: Currently working on widening my stance. Adductor seems OK with it so far. 3 x 5 at 100kg. Prob could have done more, but was dying from the heavy box squats.

- Leg Press and back extensions for many reps.

I also did some cardio yesterday AND again today. Whoa....

Other stuff

- Ugh... *Social Blocky Alert*... I'm being forced to do things tomorrow. We have some family coming to do an early Xmas gift exchange, because they wont be here for real Xmas. So, up early to tidy and vacuum, then people will invade my space for a few hours, THEN we are going for a buffet lunch. Which I have to leave early to get to my 2 hour Russian lesson. Then it's straight to the gym for 2 hours of benching. It's going to be a big day.

- I did some Russian-ing yesterday and today. Still need to do some more tonight to prepare for tomorrow's lesson.

images-q-tbn-ANd9-Gc-TDMZpdcb-ISa-Rn7d-O

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +18 STR

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 8/10 sessions  +4 CON

Learn An Alien Language (INT GOAL): 5/10 hours  +3 INT

• Like 3