• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blocky

Blocky goes back through the Stargate...

Sat 22 Dec

________________________________________________________________________________

Training

I did way better than expected today. I flipped my training around a bit to work on stuff that I knew would be pain free.

- Pendlay rows: 3's at 95kg

- Push Press: 5's at 45kg. Shoulder wasn't painful but I could feel something twanging on the eccentrics.

- TRX Rows: many sets of 8.

- Bench Press: I was able to do sets of 5 up to 60kg pain free, started to notice a twinge at 70kg. But I used the slingshot and was able to bench up to 100kg for 3 painfree. I think this will be the first time that the slingshot will be uber useful.

I did notice that benching was only painfree when I really cranked the scapulae back and down (to the point of cramping). Any time they moved, my shoulder hurt. Something to noodle on. Maybe I've been getting lazy with my setup.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Other stuff

- Pupper is a fair bit better today. Still a bit off balance and his eyes are still twitching but he seems pretty happy and unconcerned.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +21 STR

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 10/10 sessions  +4 CON

Learn An Alien Language (INT GOAL): 7/10 hours  +3 INT

My last 2 training session were a mess due to me attempting the Squatmas challenge.

It was extremely hard and I have all the lower back DOMS.

I'll update the rest of my challenge and do a wrap-up tomorrow.

• Like 1

Blocky's Challenge Wrap-up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This challenge certainly had it's ups and downs. But on the whole, I did very well.

Lifting went well for 4 out of the 5 weeks, with tons of new PRs, but ended with me straining something in my shoulder (I don't think it's serious, BUT it is taking longer to heal than I anticipated. I also did pretty well with my cardio - I did the twice a week thing for the first 3 weeks, but the last 2 weeks was pretty much 20 mins per day.

Here's what I achieved:

Get Strong Enough To Rip An Alien's Head Off (STR GOAL):  +21 STR

Get Fit Enough To Run Away From His Friends (CON GOAL): 10/10 sessions  +4 CON

Learn An Alien Language (INT GOAL): 7/10 hours  +3 INT

I'm also awarding myself a further +2 CON for doing the Squatmas challenge, and +1 CHA for doing it with a santa hat on.

I also participated in the Squatmas challenge... which was stupidly hard... but lead me to some lightbulb moments with regards to training. I learned the following:

- I can do more volume than I think I can

- My technique (especially with squatting) seems to improve as fatiguie sets in... My lower back was hurting badly by the time I got to 50 squats... BUT as I focused more on technique, the last 50 reps were good and my back stopped hurting. I suspect that I've been getting lazy with my bracing and technique a bit.

- My broken adductor CAN handle more volume. The DOMS has been pretty bad, but I didn't injure anything.

- I seem to be able to do more volume with Sumo DLs, but higher intensities with conventional DLs. I thought this was interesting.

In my next challenge, I plan to implement some of this:

- Do more volume on squatting and DLs with 100% bodyweight on the bar. I'm NOT going to do 100 reps again for a long time... but I will aim for 30-50 at least once a week and see how my recovery goes.

- FOCUS a lot more on technique... I need to practice bracing better.

- Throw in more Sumo DLs for volume on DL day.

- Do a lot more rowing on the C2

• Like 3

Congrats on your PRs and strength increases! It's also cool to learn things to apply to your own programming. For every training and programming possibility, the internet will advise you both yes and no, like elves. So learning from personal experience is important, even though the internet will also tell you never to design your own programme, but also to never accept pre written programmes blindly and always trust yourself and listen to your body, but also to not trust your body because it lies and to follow the damned programme already without any substitutions or variations.