• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

woodandbronze

Choosing my Class and Continuing the Rebellion

Hi Adventurers! I'm Ambera Wave woodandbronze. I joined the Academy in July and have been here in the forums since August. I’m ready to choose my class and call myself an Adventurer. I love to walk/hike and completed the Camino Francés, hiking from St-Jean-Pied-de-Port, FR to Santiago-de-Compostela, ES in 2012. Whenever I travel, I walk at least 10k/day exploring my surroundings. At home, I’m less adventurous -  walking at least 20 minutes/day but mostly the same route. My go-to gym workout is the rowing machine, but I’ve yet to row on actual water… something to work towards in 2019. I recently tried geocaching and really enjoyed it, but my forays are on hold now that the snow has come. I will pick it up again when I travel this winter and in spring.

With the end of the year fast approaching, I’m continuing my main quest to lose 7.4 kg (16 lbs) by Dec. 31st… and I’m almost there! Phase II of my weight loss goals will start in 2019.

SMART goals: Drink at least 1 glass of water before each meal. Continue measuring portions, eating greens every day, eating at the dining table (mindful eating), not buying pasta, bread, cookies and other empty calories (except butter, cheese, and the occasional dark chocolate) when grocery shopping.

Quest 2: Lose body fat by getting stronger
SMART goals: Continue rowing 3 days on/1 off, do bodyweight Level 2 exercises 3x/week, walk 20 minutes/day (minimum). Since I don’t do any winter sports, I’m considering getting a pair of snowshoes for extended winter walks.

Quest 3: Learn the ukulele
SMART goals: Finish this round of lessons, set a goal for practice sessions each week and practice 30-45 minutes/day by setting a timer and cycling through the planned exercises 3 times per session. I would also like to move my practice time from afternoon to late morning, when my focus is better.

Quest 4: Plan Portugal trip
SMART goals: research (I have 2 travel guides on loan) and draft an itinerary

Looking forward to getting to know fellow Adventurers.

• Like 5

So I'm going to try and check in here more regularly and to do that, I've decided to keep my in progress battle log here. Today was good!

DIET - drank 1-2 glasses of water before each meal

ROWING - Completed a stroke pyramid: 10 hard strokes-10 easy, 20-20, 30-30, 40-40, 50-50, 40-40, 30-30, 20-20, 10-10

BODYWEIGHT L2 - Assisted lunge 6/2, 5/1; Inch worm 6/2, 5/1; Wall slide 15/2, 10/1; Side plank: 25 sec./2, 20 sec./1

WALK - snowing out, so worked the treadmill for 0:20:43

UKE - had a 45 min. lesson today

TRAVEL - n/a

• Like 3

Today was my day off from rowing, so I went out walking in a winter wonderland this morning (0:22:45). And the day went well...

DIET - drank 1-2 glasses of water before meals, and had veggies at lunch and dinner.

UKE - practiced for 45+ min. this morning. My teacher gave me a new song to work on and it's killer (a JS Bach minuet)! I'm going to have fun with that one.

TRAVEL - did a little research this morning. I got a seat sale in early September and am going to Portugal in late February. I've been debating whether I want to stay in Portugal or continue on to southern Spain.

• Like 2

Welcome to the Adventurers! Really glad to have you in our little group. I see that you are still working on your itinerary for your trip - are you planing on any hiking while you are there?

Love your goals for the challenge. Do you have a calendar or planner where you keep everything together?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Welcome to the Adventurers! Really glad to have you in our little group. I see that you are still working on your itinerary for your trip - are you planing on any hiking while you are there?

Love your goals for the challenge. Do you have a calendar or planner where you keep everything together?

Thank you, I'm glad to be here! Despite having bought the plane ticket awhile ago, I haven't planned anything else. I'll definitely be doing some urban hiking while away, but until I have more of an idea of where I'll wind up, it's hard to say at this point. I use a small notebook as a dedicated planner/travel/bullet journal - it's not pretty, but it works well for me.

Today's battle log:

WALK - another snowy day, but I walked 0:26:16 (the same route usually takes no more than 23 min.)

ROWING - 21 minutes at 35spm

BODYWEIGHT L2 - Squats: 16/2, 15/1; Elevated pushups: 16/1, 15/2; 1-arm row (5 lbs): 16/1, 15/2; Farmer's walk: 40 sec./1, 35 sec./2

UKE - was able to fit 45 min. of practice in before lunch. I definitely prefer practicing in the morning than in the afternoon. Not saying my playing is any better :unsure: but my focus is definitely improved

TRAVEL - a little more research today - specifically on Lisbon. I've been there a few times, but I didn't spend any time there during the last couple of visits

DIET - the day's not over, but I've already had more than 1.5 litres of water today and had a salad at lunch. My meal planner lists steamed greens as a side for dinner, and I'm going to start them once I've posted this

• Like 1

Welcome to the Adventurers, Ambera! 

I love the way you state your goal and then break it down into individual SMART action steps. I feel like so often I either have the steps or the goal, but not the integration between the two.

• Thanks 1

Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends! Fill yer boots!

The day started well...

ROWING - 6 x 500m/1 min. easy

WALK - treadmill 0:20:55 - we had unusually cold weather for November and when they announced that there was black ice, I moved my walk indoors

UKE - practiced 45 min. before lunch. Hard slogging through the Minuet. Played something easy & fun at the end of practice to boost my morale

TRAVEL - more research on Lisbon

but then I decided to try a recipe for no-bake chocolate quinoa puffs, which I'm thinking of giving as Christmas gifts. Kryptonite! I ate the whole batch.

19 hours ago, Nova Aquarii said:

Welcome to the Adventurers, Ambera! 

I love the way you state your goal and then break it down into individual SMART action steps. I feel like so often I either have the steps or the goal, but not the integration between the two.

Thank you, Nova. The steps are the small changes I've introduced since discovering NF, but the Planning  Worksheets have helped me articulate my goals and integrate those changes.

• Like 3

Thank you all for making me feel so welcome. Salut, Sciread77 - si  tu veux pratiquer le français ou l'espagnol, je serai contente de t'aider. But in all honesty, my written French isn't up to snuff. Practico las dos lenguas cada día con Duolingo y soy Quebequense (pero anglófona).

So today got off to a good start...

ROWING - 5 x 4 min/1 min easy

WALK - 0:25:17 outdoors

DIET - water before each meal. Had lots of veggies at lunch, and dinner also will incorporate a couple

Since I had a date to meet up with a friend to do some shopping for her son's birthday party this weekend, that took up the rest of the day. I'm exhausted now (lots of walking), so I won't be getting to my bodyweight exercises until tomorrow, and travel research won't get done at all today. As for the ukulele, I might do some strumming after dinner.

• Like 4

Merci, gracias, thank you! I’m stalled atm other than basic coworker convos at work but once I’m through the hailstorm I’ll be back to practicing daily. I was going to get my Duolingo username but I’ve forgotten how to get to it on the mobile app. 

It’s cool that you play the ukulele. We got one for my dad last year and the kids love it. Even though it cost more than my guitar, which is bigger and they play along with. They crack up at having the “bigger guitar.”

• Like 1

Today's stats:

ROWING - day off

WALK - 0:39:11 outdoors

BODYWEIGHT - Assisted lunge: 6/3; Inch worm: 6/2, 5/1; Wall slide: 15/2, 10/1; Side plank: 25 sec/2, 20 sec/1

UKE - practiced 45 min. this afternoon

TRAVEL - I took a break from my research

DIET - had 1-2 glasses of water before each meal and veggies at lunch and dinner

• Like 3

Today's stats:

ROWING - 3 x 1000m/1 min easy

WALK - treadmill 0:21:19

UKE - couldn't focus on anything today, so did a 10 min. online lesson + 20 min. strumming

TRAVEL - no research today

DIET - 1-2 glasses of water per meal and veggies at lunch and dinner

• Like 4

Today's stats:

DIET - I gained a little weight over the last week (Curses, chocolate quinoa puffs! :mad-new:), but not enough to depress me. Still drinking 1-2 glasses of water before meals and having veggies at lunch and dinner

ROWING - 10 x 1 min/1 min easy

WALK - treadmill 0:21:16

BODYWEIGHT - Squats: 16/2, 15/1; Elevated pushup: 16/2, 15/1; 1-arm row (5 lbs): 16/1, 15/2; Farmer's walk: 40 sec./1, 35 sec./2

UKE - had a 45 min. lesson

TRAVEL - no research (again!). I have to fix this - I think there's just too many distractions at home (read, too many excuses not to do it). Since 1 of the books I borrowed is due back at the library this week, I plan to make have a library day - find a quiet spot and hit the book before I return it.

• Like 3

Today's stats:

Day off from rowing

WALK - 0:23:22 outdoors

BODYWEIGHT - Assisted lunge: 6/3; Inch worm: 6/3; Wall slide: 15/2, 10/1; Side plank: 25 sec./2, 20 sec./1

UKE - 45 min. practice

TRAVEL - no research today

• Like 2

In all honesty, I'm just can't focus on it yet. I renewed the travel books, as I won't be able to get to the library this week.

Today's stats:

ROWING - 3 x 1000m/3 min easy

WALK - treadmill 0:21:29

UKE - 45 min. practice

TRAVEL - no research today. Library books renewed.

DIET (yesterday & today) - drank 1-2 glasses of water before meals and ate veggies at lunch & dinner

• Like 2

Today's stats:

BODYWEIGHT - Squats: 16/2, 15/1; Elevated pushups: 16/2, 15/1; 1-arm row (5 lbs): 16/2, 15/1; Farmer's walk: 40 sec/1, 35 sec/2

ROWING - 6 x 500m/2 min easy

WALK - 0:25:40 outdoors

TRAVEL - whaddayaknow! I continued my Lisbon research

UKE - 30 min. practice

DIET - 1-2 glasses of water before meals, veggies at lunch & dinner

• Like 2

DIET - I met and surpassed my Phase I weight loss goal - 7.6kg (16 lbs and change)!!! :cheerful: woot woot!!

Now to maintain/keep losing through the holidays because Phase II will begin in 2019...

Drank 1-2 glasses before meals and ate veggies at lunch and dinner

ROWING - 20 min. at 33-35spm

BODYWEIGHT - Assisted lunge: 6/3; Inch worm: 6/3; Wall slide: 15/3; Side plank: 25 sec./2, 20 sec./1

WALK - 0:24:35 outdoors

TRAVEL - more research on the Algarve

UKE - had my last lesson today (45 min.) - I'll resume formal lessons in the Spring, but will start using the "Ukulele Aerobics" program & book as of tomorrow

• Like 2

Welcome to the Adventurers! You're among some of the most inspiring and helpful Rebels on the forum. I'm glad you're with us.

On 11/19/2018 at 7:30 AM, Ambera Wave said:

At home, I’m less adventurous -  walking at least 20 minutes/day but mostly the same route.

I don't get to travel much, and when I do I am usually doing whatever my wife and daughters want to do, which may include adventuring but often includes relaxing around wherever we are staying or shopping. :) So I offset this by finding opportunities to be adventurous at home, taking new routes and trails, trying new activities or the same activities in new ways, tasting new foods. When we go out to eat, I'm known to hand my wife the menu and say, "Surprise me," letting her order for me but not show me what she ordered. I hike and run trails a lot, climb trees just for fun, look for opportunities to challenge my brain, body, and spirit.

You're very much among like-minded rebels. We are happy to have you. And it looks like your challenge is going really well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1