• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

annyshay

Annyshay is Feeling Festive

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Yep, that's the takeaway I got from it as well and I agree with the underlying premise that accepting people for who they are, rather than how they look, is extremely important.  My complaint was that they seemed to be implicitly saying that doing anything about obesity itself is unimportant and ultimately a waste of time.  

But the question is if obesity is really the problem to solve? To me it seems like obesity is a just a symptom of a whole host of issues, which you were already getting at. And trying to fix the symptoms, that may or may not need fixing, through shaming, fear mongering and diets proven not to work does makes me wonder... I do agree with your criticism about the article though, and that more root cause analysis is needed.

On a different note - I'm glad you found a PT that seems equally keen to get you dancing again!

And of course - WOOOOOOOTTTT FOR WINNING NANO!!! That's impressive. Will you edit your novel next or was this just to get you writing and finishing something?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, annyshay said:

I JUST WON NANOWRIMO!!!

WOOOOT!!!  Congratualtions

10 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

To me it seems like obesity is a just a symptom

Good point.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

But the question is if obesity is really the problem to solve? To me it seems like obesity is a just a symptom of a whole host of issues, which you were already getting at. And trying to fix the symptoms, that may or may not need fixing, through shaming, fear mongering and diets proven not to work does makes me wonder... I do agree with your criticism about the article though, and that more root cause analysis is needed.

Yes to this.

On a different note - I'm glad you found a PT that seems equally keen to get you dancing again!

:smile-new: Me too. Now I just need to do the work. Hehehe.

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

WOOOOT!!!  Congratualtions

2 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Congratulations! That is awesome! :loyal:

And of course - WOOOOOOOTTTT FOR WINNING NANO!!! That's impressive. Will you edit your novel next or was this just to get you writing and finishing something?

Thanks guys. I'm SUPER proud of myself for this.

I think I'm going to take a few months off before I edit. Mostly I wanted to finish something. January is going to be super busy with work. February is Antaractica (WHAT?!). So, I think realistically March is the soonest that I would start poking at it again. That said, I would like to keep doing some creative writing, so we'll see how things play out in December.

• Like 2

Omg, yay! Congrats on your NaNo win! And also, yessss. I am a huge, huge advocate for physical therapy, so I'm glad you've found someone you like and can work with to get back to where you want to be. Go, go, mid-foot mobility!

YOU ARE GOING TO ANTARTICA?!?!? I missed this before! :D That's so exciting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Omg, yay! Congrats on your NaNo win! And also, yessss. I am a huge, huge advocate for physical therapy, so I'm glad you've found someone you like and can work with to get back to where you want to be. Go, go, mid-foot mobility!

YOU ARE GOING TO ANTARTICA?!?!? I missed this before! :D That's so exciting. 

I am super excited and hoping that I can get going again.

YES!!!!

• Like 2

Thursday w1d4

- PT exercises: inversions 2x15, talocurual mobility, heel raises 2x15, towel gathering

- dinner was distraction free

- meditated with insight timer for 15 minutes

• Like 5

Friday w1d5

- PT exercises: inversions 2x15, talocurual mobility, heel raises 2x15, towel gathering

- breakfast was distraction free

- meditated with insight timer for 15 minutes

• Like 7

2 hours ago, annyshay said:

breakfast was distraction free

Oh, I miss that feeling. With my kids, breakfasts are always distracted. :D

You're doing really well, btw.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Wolfen said:

Oh, I miss that feeling. With my kids, breakfasts are always distracted. :D

You're doing really well, btw.

I don't know how parents do it, honestly.

THANKS!

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 2:19 AM, annyshay said:

I JUST WON NANOWRIMO!!!

OMG that is soooooooooooo awesome!!!!! How did I miss this? Oh, I know, I totally slacked in attendance and am ashamed, but also super hyped happy for you!

CONGRATULATIONS

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1

Also big yay on the pt for getting you to dance again :)

ANTARCTICA? You just keep rocking all over the place! Not jealous aaaaat all :lol: Enjoy!!

Also what happened with your meditations? I was about to tell you off for the frequent forgetting and now you suddenly seem to rock them :D what happened?

The article you shared was a very interesting read, for all the mentioned reasons and I share many of the mixed feelings of what came short, yet so much important was shared. Funny, to me diet also means the way of eating in general and that makes a big difference in personal filter, reading articles like this one. What I think is a very good thing is that more and more discussions come up that question what was taken for truth or standard approach so far. Even if they can't offer a solution yet, it calls for a broader perspective, which is certainly needed on the whole topic of food, health and lifestyle no matter what weight.

It would be so cool to have a recipe like the citrus for scurvy that works for everyone, yet with both weight levels and health, it doesn't seem to work that way. When I was a teenager and even as a young adult still I suffered from body shaming of skinny people with no curves whatsoever. Yet I could eat as much as I wanted and would still be skin and bones. At the age of 20 I weighed 49 kg. I was healthy skin and bones, but still :P 

Now I am a far cry from the figure I had then and while no-one would call me obese, I don't like the feeling of any of the squishy parts that grew over time. I'd much rather have something in the middle of the two, past and present. I read all these articles in the hopes of understanding better how my body works and why it went one way back then and is going the other way now. The explanation of hormone levels playing a major role looks very sensible to me. It could actually explain both stages that I went through, but I have yet to see if it helps me get my body to cooperate in going where I want to go with it...

Apart from all that I also have moments where it's so clear to me that I inhabit my body only. It's just a cover to hold my essence, my self. It's not who I am and I must not mix it up with that, the way we seem to have such a tendency to do. Look at someones weight and it won't tell you a thing about who that person is! Look into their eyes, listen to the tone of their voice, watch their actions and feel their presence and you will find out so much more than looking at the "suit" we wear over it all. That is something I want to remember more often, not only towards others, but also towards myself. It's easiest when having fun, so let's get back to the dancing part.... I'll aim back for the pole no matter what shape and you get swinging again, shall we :cheerful:

Also I want to mention here, how much I love the nerd crowd on these forums in all their honesty and warmth and courageous readiness to think beyond standards! It's such a wonder-ful place to come here!!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

I'll aim back for the pole no matter what shape and you get swinging again, shall we :cheerful:

YESSSS!

16 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Also I want to mention here, how much I love the nerd crowd on these forums in all their honesty and warmth and courageous readiness to think beyond standards! It's such a wonder-ful place to come here!!

Me tooo! Especially since it’s technically a fitness and diet where weight loss is in fact quite often in focus. Or maybe it’s because we’re nerds that make us question the status quo which is clearly not working.

Btw you might also find the IE group interesting!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Also big yay on the pt for getting you to dance again :)

Yes, that's the goal!

ANTARCTICA? You just keep rocking all over the place! Not jealous aaaaat all :lol: Enjoy!!

Don't worry. There will be challenges leading up to it, I imagine. For vicarious living purposes.

Also what happened with your meditations? I was about to tell you off for the frequent forgetting and now you suddenly seem to rock them :D what happened?

I was traveling to visit family and got out of the habit. It just took me a while to remember to use the new app again. 

2 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

It's easiest when having fun, so let's get back to the dancing part.... I'll aim back for the pole no matter what shape and you get swinging again, shall we :cheerful:

Yes to this. Glad to see your thoughts on the article as well!

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Or maybe it’s because we’re nerds that make us question the status quo which is clearly not working.

Nerds FTW

• Like 1

Bodyweight Workout 1B (NF Academy)
Three circuits of:
- Good mornings x10
- Standing wall walks x5
- One leg balance x5sec per side
- Wall slides x8
Finisher: Front plank 20 sec x3

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

sounds like strong work :triumphant:

What is a standing wall walk? And what is a front plant?? Sounds awefully close to a faceplant :blink: Please don't do those!

Standing wall walks start at the top of a wall push up and then you just walk your hands up as high as you go and then back down. That's one rep.

Front plants was meant to be front planks, and don't worry. My face is safe. ;)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, annyshay said:

Standing wall walks start at the top of a wall push up and then you just walk your hands up as high as you go and then back down. That's one rep.

Ah, I see, that is strong work!

Front plants was meant to be front planks, and don't worry. My face is safe. ;)

:D glad to hear that. I should get some planking in again, I guess. If you say front plank, does that mean there is such a thing as back planks?? Oh my, I better go sleep now, my mind is obviously a bit off balance today :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

If you say front plank, does that mean there is such a thing as back planks?? Oh my, I better go sleep now, my mind is obviously a bit off balance today :lol: 

Not sure about back planks, but I've definitely done side planks before. Go sleep though. Sleep is goooooood.

• Like 2

Not sure about back planks, but I've definitely done side planks before. Go sleep though. Sleep is goooooood.

Aaaaaah yes, side planks, how could I ever forget those. Horrible things! Front planks are much better and yes, I will go sleep now.... hugzzzzzzzzz

• Like 2