• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

annyshay

Annyshay is Feeling Festive

Recommended Posts

On 12/1/2018 at 1:58 PM, annyshay said:

I don't know how parents do it, honestly.

You pray till they are bigger, and can get things for themselves. :D Then again, we don't sit around a table anymore, so ... I can't really talk.

On 12/2/2018 at 2:28 PM, annyshay said:

For fun! :D  Also, penguins.

Because you can, and you are super adventurous and courageous. And penguins.

On 12/2/2018 at 9:45 PM, lucky fire dragon said:

not without proper preparation at least. I've walked over glowing coals a few times before and it was amazing!! 

Wow! Really?!

On 12/4/2018 at 2:43 PM, annyshay said:

It was a good day. I got my work done pretty early so I spent a bunch of time writing, reading, and playing video games. The dinner that I made was pretty tasty too: roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli, and salmon. Yum yum.

A good day, ending off with good food. Glad for you.

5 hours ago, annyshay said:

Bodyweight Workout 1A (NF Academy)

Awesome!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Because you can, and you are super adventurous and courageous. And penguins.

Candidate for the byline of my future autobiography. ;)

 

17 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Awesome!

I'm not making it a goal yet, so there's no pressure. But it's kinda a goal. :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday w2d4

- PT exercises: towel gathering, heel raises 2 x 15, talocrural mobility, inversions 2 x 15

- dinner was distraction free

- forgot to meditate

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been reshaping my goals in my mind a bit. This got started by realizing that I need more accountability around some aspects of my work, and that my friendly neighborhood nerds might be able to help me some with that. There are three big long term goals that I'm working on in my career at the moment. These goals are all a little bit hard to break down and work consistently on, but they won't happen if I don't approach them in that way. These aren't things that I can procrastinate and then cram in at the last minute. I need to start a new job, publish two papers, and pass two sets of boards in 2019. I was successful with similar goals in 2015, so I know that it's possible. I'm posting this up here now so that you guys will start asking me questions about these tasks and help keep me accountable. Thanks in advance!

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday w2d5

Eat

- breakfast was distraction free

Move

- PT exercises: heel raises 2 x 15, inversions 2 x 15, talocrural mobility

Think

- meditated for 15 minutes with insight timer

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, annyshay said:

I've been reshaping my goals in my mind a bit. This got started by realizing that I need more accountability around some aspects of my work, and that my friendly neighborhood nerds might be able to help me some with that. There are three big long term goals that I'm working on in my career at the moment. These goals are all a little bit hard to break down and work consistently on, but they won't happen if I don't approach them in that way. These aren't things that I can procrastinate and then cram in at the last minute. I need to start a new job, publish two papers, and pass two sets of boards in 2019. I was successful with similar goals in 2015, so I know that it's possible. I'm posting this up here now so that you guys will start asking me questions about these tasks and help keep me accountable. Thanks in advance!

First question, do these three things have to be done in a particular sequence? It seems like they need to happen in the order you listed; I wanted to ask for clarification.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

First question, do these three things have to be done in a particular sequence? It seems like they need to happen in the order you listed; I wanted to ask for clarification.

Yay questions! They don't need to happen in a particular sequence other than the boards. Those tests are in late October and early November of next year. I did put them in the vague order that I think they will happen, but it will be best if I work on all three simultaneously. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mid Challenge Check In

 

source.gif


I'm going to work on a new way of wrapping up weeks on here with some questions that are adapted from my former (*soooooobs* come back from maternity leave, please) health coach, Amy Clover. I'm going to answer the questions for the first half of the challenge so far.


What wins did you have?
- I won NaNoWriMo. I'm still really excited about this!
- 11 sessions of meditating using insight timer (more with other formats)
- at least one distraction free meal or snack every day 
- on track to do 5 days of PT exercises per week
- doing two bodyweight workouts per week


When did you feel resistance?

- I'm starting to have some resistance to doing the bodyweight workouts already
- there are some days where I'm not wanting to do my PT exercises but once I get going they don't take that long
- I'm also resisting distraction free meals on some days

 

How can you shift? 

- I think some of the resistance is against feeling like I HAVE TO do things and not take breaks because in the past I have pushed myself way too hard when starting to be active again, so I'm trying to remind myself repeatedly that things can be different this time

- I'm trying to shift the way I think about things into domains ruled by verbs: eat, move, work, create, think, etc. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great challenge. I love those  questions.  When I'm struggling with a goal, and just think I need to try harder at the same thing, is usually when I  end up just saying "screw it" I don't care and givig up. Taking the time  to stop and realize the resistance, and then seeing what I ca shift seems like a  much smarter way to go about it. I've sorta been doing that, just by learning from experience what works for me. But I think I will try it a bit more mindfully .

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/8/2018 at 7:29 AM, annyshay said:

start a new job, publish two papers, and pass two sets of boards

Sounds like some important things are in the cards for 2019.  The first one is going to be tougher because you don't realy have 100% control over it, but there are certainly things you can do to make success more likely.  How far along are you in the job search now?  Any advice we may have on this would be very different if you have not seven started compared to if you have a few leads that you are already interviewing for.

 

I like the new summary format :) 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 3:23 PM, Infinity.Creates said:

It's not your goal and you're doing it anyway? That sounds like extra points! :P

 

This!! Plus you are rocking them workouts, whooohooo

 

13 hours ago, annyshay said:

I won NaNoWriMo. I'm still really excited about this!

 

That's how it should be :) Am still over the moon over here for you! Keep milking that one. Hah, imagine your papers to be published to be just another brick down the same road of success, hey :D 

 

13 hours ago, annyshay said:

- 11 sessions of meditating using insight timer (more with other formats)
- at least one distraction free meal or snack every day 
- on track to do 5 days of PT exercises per week
- doing two bodyweight workouts per week

 

 

So much win! Woot woot

Also excellent questions and summary idea.

 

13 hours ago, annyshay said:

I think some of the resistance is against feeling like I HAVE TO do things and not take breaks because in the past I have pushed myself way too hard when starting to be active again, so I'm trying to remind myself repeatedly that things can be different this time

 

great insight and acknowledgement. Another question would be why? What was your original thought when choosing that goal? Who all benefits? What does your body like about it? And are there any ways to make it more enjoyable as you go about it (if you want to keep the goal) like playing music it feels good to move to, changing pace in order to make it feel better, ... it might mean doing less reps of something for starters because doing them slower and more deliberate is a lot harder, but then less reps with feel good will be at least as effective. OR on the contrary, doing things you are already familiar with a little faster, taking them a step towards swing dance so to say and playing with that ^_^

 

By the way, you do make sure and dating options do dance, right?
I love my hubby so much, but he doesn't dance and look where that left me! I need a pole for partner...  you still have the full buffet of options, pick yourself someone who enjoys dancing as much as you, will you :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Sounds like some important things are in the cards for 2019.  The first one is going to be tougher because you don't realy have 100% control over it, but there are certainly things you can do to make success more likely.  How far along are you in the job search now?  Any advice we may have on this would be very different if you have not seven started compared to if you have a few leads that you are already interviewing for.

 

I like the new summary format :) 

I've interviewed at one hospital and have a second interview this Friday. I've also sent out applications to four other hospitals that I'm waiting to hear back from. I don't necessarily want to apply more places until I hear from those that I've been waiting on. It's approaching three weeks of waiting, and I'm starting to go a little stir crazy. :beaten:

 

Some of this goal is the moving and paperwork that are going to be needed once I have a job sorted out. Getting licensed, credentialed, and privileged to work is a bit of a nightmare, honestly.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, lucky fire dragon said:

great insight and acknowledgement. Another question would be why? What was your original thought when choosing that goal? Who all benefits? What does your body like about it? And are there any ways to make it more enjoyable as you go about it (if you want to keep the goal) like playing music it feels good to move to, changing pace in order to make it feel better, ... it might mean doing less reps of something for starters because doing them slower and more deliberate is a lot harder, but then less reps with feel good will be at least as effective. OR on the contrary, doing things you are already familiar with a little faster, taking them a step towards swing dance so to say and playing with that ^_^

 

By the way, you do make sure and dating options do dance, right?
I love my hubby so much, but he doesn't dance and look where that left me! I need a pole for partner...  you still have the full buffet of options, pick yourself someone who enjoys dancing as much as you, will you :) 

These are great questions, Lucky.

 

I would LOVE to find a dance partner. I feel like that's just adding to the long list of desirable qualities in a partner though, hehe.

 

The original thought when choosing the goal is that I want to feel capable and energetic. I benefit by slowly getting myself moving again and prioritizing strength means that I have a lot of flexibility to do whatever type of program I want to at the moment. My body likes the feeling afterwards of being a bit worn out and my muscles like the pump. Hehe. I think twice a week is maintainable even when my schedule gets crazy (next up in January), and that it will be a way to keep my brain a bit more happy than when I'm being completely sedentary. I don't want to go after cardio or other activities that will put too much stress on my foot while I'm already working on my PT exercises most days of the week.

 

Putting on music and playing around with tempo is a good idea. Thanks!

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saturday w2d6
Eat

- dinner was distraction free

Move

- PT exercises: heel raises 2 x 15, talocrural mobility

Think

- meditated for 30 minutes with insight timer

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, annyshay said:

I think some of the resistance is against feeling like I HAVE TO do things and not take breaks

Oh, I so relate to this.

Sorry, I can't think to add anything to the support and questions you've already received. So just Woot! Woot! rooting for you. :loyal:

 

On the dancing partner... it can rub off. Brandt loved dancing. I couldn't put too feet together without tripping. He taught me to dance with him, now I sometimes drag him up off the chair and we dance a couple steps around the front room! ;) With the right partner, things will fall in place.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

On the dancing partner... it can rub off. Brandt loved dancing. I couldn't put too feet together without tripping. He taught me to dance with him, now I sometimes drag him up off the chair and we dance a couple steps around the front room! ;) With the right partner, things will fall in place.

That's so sweet. :D

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sunday w2d7
Eat

- dinner was distraction free

Move

- PT exercises: inversions 2 x 15, towel gathering, heel raises 2 x 15, talocrural mobility

Think

- meditated for 30 minutes with insight timer

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar question for the other two goals - what's your starting point and do you know the steps to achieve those goals? Any particularly difficult or time consuming parts or where you'll need help? 

 

On 12/9/2018 at 9:16 AM, annyshay said:

The original thought when choosing the goal is that I want to feel capable and energetic. I benefit by slowly getting myself moving again and prioritizing strength means that I have a lot of flexibility to do whatever type of program I want to at the moment. My body likes the feeling afterwards of being a bit worn out and my muscles like the pump. Hehe. I think twice a week is maintainable even when my schedule gets crazy (next up in January), and that it will be a way to keep my brain a bit more happy than when I'm being completely sedentary. I don't want to go after cardio or other activities that will put too much stress on my foot while I'm already working on my PT exercises most days of the week.

It's all good reasons, just remember that if the goal is to get moving it doesn't matter if you follow the program or not, just that you get moving at all. And movement can take many different forms. Building up a baseline of strength is always a good thing, but you don't have to do it in that order. If you want to do for example yoga you'll build up the required sports specific strength simply by doing yoga. For now it sounds like you are at least sort of enjoying the workouts (your body at least, brain not so sure about?), so maybe just try to remember that when you meet resistance. :) Don't forget you can always scale down if you feel like you're going too fast.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

It's all good reasons, just remember that if the goal is to get moving it doesn't matter if you follow the program or not, just that you get moving at all. And movement can take many different forms. Building up a baseline of strength is always a good thing, but you don't have to do it in that order. If you want to do for example yoga you'll build up the required sports specific strength simply by doing yoga. For now it sounds like you are at least sort of enjoying the workouts (your body at least, brain not so sure about?), so maybe just try to remember that when you meet resistance. :) Don't forget you can always scale down if you feel like you're going too fast.

This is helpful, Hats. Thanks. It makes me wonder if my brain doesn't like the "strength training" label any more than it likes the "workout" label. Maybe I just aim to do something twice a week. Hmm hmm hmm. That seems like too little, but I bet that's my old mental programming and shoulds breaking through. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Similar question for the other two goals - what's your starting point and do you know the steps to achieve those goals? 

Publish Two Papers
- I have 3/5 of one paper drafted and reviewed once by my mentor
- I have 1/5 of the second paper drafted (this one can't be finished until we collect all the data in the spring of 2019)


- Steps that still need to happen in vague order:
Paper #1 - read more articles, make table 2, meet with statistician, make table 3 and/or write narrative section, plan discussion section, draft discussion section, write abstract, revising sections (background, methods, results, discussion, abstract), format for first submission, submit

Paper #2 - read more articles, collect data, tabulate data, meet with statistician, plan background, draft background, plan results, draft results, make tables and/or figures, plan discussion section, draft discussion section, write abstract, revising sections (background, methods, results, discussion, abstract), format for first submission, submit


Pass Two Boards
- I've taken a couple of practice tests for each of the boards
- I have a question bank for pediatric ID boards
- I have attended in person board review and have slides for medicine ID boards


- Steps that still need to happen in vague order (needs to be broken down better than it currently is):

print out content specs and previous exams, highlight knowledge deficits, make a study plan, decide if I want to attend in person review course, consistent work on study plan

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Any particularly difficult or time consuming parts or where you'll need help? 

Aye, there's the rub. 

 

For the papers, the issue is working consistently on them especially when there are so many other work related tasks that appear more urgent. There's also the challenge that I am waiting on other people for some parts of the process, but mostly this is an excuse because there are many other areas that I could be working on. 

 

For the boards, the sheer volume of material that I need to have mastery over for the boards means that I need to spend hours studying every week from now until November. That's daunting. It's hard to keep myself engaged because it's important but there are many more urgent tasks. I guess this is the same issue as the paper, really. Also, I'm having a hard time knowing how to break things down for this test. There are fewer study guides and the like than there were for my last set of boards. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you seem to have a pretty good grasp of what needs to be done, the problem is sucking up and prioritising it. :) Sounds like you'll have to schedule in time for it otherwise there will always be more urgent things to do.

For the tests - is there someone you can ask?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

So you seem to have a pretty good grasp of what needs to be done, the problem is sucking up and prioritising it. :) Sounds like you'll have to schedule in time for it otherwise there will always be more urgent things to do.

For the tests - is there someone you can ask?

Sucking it up and doing the work is always the hardest thing, but it's also a thing that I have a good track record with, honestly. I am trying to schedule it in the morning, but I think my days are too different from each other so I may have to come up with a more complicated schedule. I'm trying to focus on setting a schedule for myself at the beginning of the week, but it's still a bit hard for me to do. My schedule can be... unpredictable and very hard to wrangle.

 

I've sort of talked to all the people that I can so far. I've discussed the tests with my program director and people that have taken them recently. I took some steps today, making a list of all the things that I missed on my practice exams. Again, I think it's just a matter of me sitting down and actually doing it.

 

Accountability to my nerds definitely helps. :)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.