• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

[Sylvaa] Survivor

Oh good grief my friends. It has been a rough few weeks here in Sylvaa-land. So many things have been going on recently that I have not been doing ANYTHING here that I want to do (or said I would!). It looks like the next few months are going to be very stressful in their own right and I need to keep some kind of safe space for all of the feels.

But first! Hi! I'm Sylvaa, your friendly, neighborhood Adventurer GL. I'm a 30-something mother of four teenagers, I travel 80% of the time for work (out of state), and a proud dog and cat mom. I started my health and fitness journey over 10 years ago after having my kids. I found NF 4 or 5 years ago now after getting stuck in a rut and wanting to find a better way to "gamify" my progress. I'm currently down about 80 pounds overall and signed up for my first half marathon in the spring! Yay!

On to the feels

Spoiler 1: Fertility Stuff

Spoiler

We've recently found out my 16 year old is pregnant. In February, I'm going to become a grandmother to a baby boy. The "good news" (if you want to call it that) is that this occurred prior to her boyfriend moving in with us - yes, he's still here. So there isn't a lot we could have done to prevent this. The actual good news is that mom and baby are healthy.

I'm struggling a lot with this. I don't want to say my daughter planned this, but her reaction has never been one of "oh crap" and as a teenage mother myself, none of her reactions are one of a girl who didn't try (at least partly) to become pregnant. We are also having issues because her boyfriend is mixed and my in-laws (not my MIL, but my FIL and BIL) are racist. They are literally more upset that the baby will be a quarter black than they are that she is 16 and pregnant. So truthfully, I've had to be more supportive than I would like to be because I'm having to support her from stupid family drama. Not that I don't want to be supportive, but I want to make sure she realizes that this is her choice and her responsibility. 

Spoiler 2: Job Stuff

Spoiler

I've officially requested to be moved off my current project. I have a bad project leader and I have had enough of the nonsense that is accompanying it. She has her own agenda and is furthering it versus worrying about the project moving forward. So I am keeping my options open and hopefully getting staffed somewhere else after Christmas. I can go into more detail about this, but the long and short of it is that she isn't a good manager and her decisions are impacting team morale, our relationship with hospital staff, and the profitability of the project. So I'm out.

Also, I just found out Friday that my current Counselor (he's technically my actual manager, we just call them counselors to distinguish from project manager) is leaving the company. So now I have to deal with getting reassigned to a different Counselor. One of my co-workers on my current project wants to become my Counselor, but he reports up through the PM I don't like. So I have to tactfully say that no, I don't want to touch that with a 10 foot pole.

But it's not all bad! The holidays are almost here and I love feeding and doing fun things for the family!

I am currently reviewing options for joining a gym at home (I've got a membership on the road), so that I can continue to go and actually do things. My husband is willing to go with me (we had a long talk about how one of his hang ups is not being "fit enough" for a number of the local gyms. So we might end up using a local Planet Fitness on the weekends, which works for my needs and will help him not be uncomfortable and more willing to go). 

On Saturday, we are having an all day LotR movie marathon with food! We have always celebrated Thanksgiving on Saturday (it's just easier with so many other places for people to go) and this year, my FIL and BIL are boycotting our celebrations, so I'm doing what I want! I get to work from home, then only a few short travel weeks before I get time off for the holidays (and two more weeks at home!). 

I've not got a whole lot planned out for this challenge, because I want to just keep moving forward. Tonight, my goals are to clean our dining room and run (4x600 with 2:00 rest in between). I'm also cooking this week (since I'm home), which is something we had pretty much stopped. 

• Like 12

Holy moly you have a lot going on!

I just caught up on your last challenge - are you still planning to do the marathon?

It sounds like you are a great mo. So semi congrats and semi commiserations re: your daughter.

I remember wanting to be a young mom (teenagers have no sense sometimes). Hope everything works out there.

Also, can I please have an invite to the LotR marathon? :D

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

I just caught up on your last challenge - are you still planning to do the marathon?

It's only a half, not a full. But yes, I am still planning on doing so! Looking forward to it - and the bourbon which will follow.

16 hours ago, pureleeawesome said:

Also, can I please have an invite to the LotR marathon? :D

I mean, it's kind of far for you to get here, but sure, it's Saturday! I'll try to remember to take pictures regardless, so you can live vicariously through us. But also, aren't you closer to Hobbiton anyway?

11 hours ago, fleaball said:

That's a lot of stuff happening. Sending hugs and kitties!

Apparently, the kitty heard you, because I couldn't work this morning because she was sleeping on me! It was amazing! 

Got out for a run last evening. Woot Woot for 4-week streak. It took me a bit and I was getting frustrated because I had my settings wrong, but once I got them adjusted, it was a nice run. 6x200M fast, with 3:00 rest in between. Also got back on the healthy eating train (although I forgot avocados at the store. :( ).

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

(although I forgot avocados at the store. :( )

As much as I hate setting foot in a store, I have been known to for avocados...I generally try to remember them on the grocery order though!  :D

Here for support, omg you do have a lot going on!

• Thanks 1

On 11/19/2018 at 9:34 AM, Sylvaa said:

Oh good grief my friends. It has been a rough few weeks here in Sylvaa-land. So many things have been going on recently that I have not been doing ANYTHING here that I want to do (or said I would!). It looks like the next few months are going to be very stressful in their own right and I need to keep some kind of safe space for all of the feels.

THIS. I can relate to this so much. 

If you end up joining Planet Fitness, let me know what you think of it. I know they have had a lot of negative media for some of their policies, but there is one right down the road from me, and it would offer so much more than the tiny little gym room in my apartment complex. And I just can't afford a real gym membership, so it is an option on the table. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nova Aquarii said:

If you end up joining Planet Fitness, let me know what you think of it. I know they have had a lot of negative media for some of their policies, but there is one right down the road from me, and it would offer so much more than the tiny little gym room in my apartment complex. And I just can't afford a real gym membership, so it is an option on the table. 

My health insurance (Cigna) has a program where we pay $25 a month and can use a number of gyms all over the country, which includes our local Planet Fitness. So technically, we would join that program and it would include PF. A lot of companies do this, so it might be something to look into!

IMO, PF is one of those places where you get what you put into it. If you don't go to a gym, or need something more than you currently have access to, it's not a bad place to go (and I mean SOMETHING is always better than NOTHING, right?). Where I live, we don't have a lot of low to medium tier gyms. Most of ours are geared towards experience lifters, so if you want something less daunting, PF is one of your better options. They aren't perfect, but they also aren't bad, as long as you know what you are getting into.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

IMO, PF is one of those places where you get what you put into it. If you don't go to a gym, or need something more than you currently have access to, it's not a bad place to go (and I mean SOMETHING is always better than NOTHING, right?). Where I live, we don't have a lot of low to medium tier gyms. Most of ours are geared towards experience lifters, so if you want something less daunting, PF is one of your better options. They aren't perfect, but they also aren't bad, as long as you know what you are getting into.

Valid point, I was a member of PF for a year, it fit my needs, I'm not able to lift more than dumbells and bars and they had those. I have a free (from my job) membership to Bailey's now and I don't see a lot of difference except maybe in classes offered and they have personal trainers on site if you want to pay more.

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 10:43 PM, Sylvaa said:

I mean, it's kind of far for you to get here, but sure, it's Saturday! I'll try to remember to take pictures regardless, so you can live vicariously through us. But also, aren't you closer to Hobbiton anyway?

... maybe :P I've actually been to Hobbiton! It was lovely. New Zealand is like a prettier, more peaceful, Australia.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Looking forward to the "Grandma Sylvaa" challenge in February...

Asking the real questions: we've already started discussing what the heck this baby should call me. Because like, "Grandma" reminds me of people significantly older than me. 

So all of the Americans out there - I hope you are having a lovely Thanksgiving and enjoying your day, regardless of your plans. 

• Like 7

On 11/23/2018 at 9:56 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Don't worry, we won't call you Grandma Sylvaa here (unless, you like want us to?)

Following

Lol no.

Okay, I owe you all a recap of our LotR ridiculousness. But I'm still digesting. Seven meals is no joke, even with all of the limiting I did! 

• Like 10

Glad to hear you're still surviving, especially the baby news and the in-laws drama. I'm generally a docile man who doesn't like to stir the pot, but when it comes to racism and similar injustices I struggle to (and usually don't) keep calm and stay quiet.

You know I'm always here for you if you need to talk or vent or share something that you'd rather not put on the boards.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Doing this via tapatalk, then editing in browser. Be patient.

THE DAY OF ALL THE EATING PICTURES:

Breakfast and Second Breakfast are actually in the picture together. 

Spoiler

a39851b9d6cf699609331d030c259dc4.jpg

Homemade biscuits, bacon, sausage, and country ham for Breakfast

Pastries for Second Breakfast.

Elevenses:

Spoiler

875e0d14758c816b8eaf51ee64c7d521.jpg

Lembas Bread and Pumpkin Bread. Not pictured Beorn's Honeycake.

Luncheon

Spoiler

133577cd438b16788a0e347da50accf2.jpg

Our twist on a Ploughmans Lunch

Also, I made Scotch Eggs:

89f44150c1e7514a900566bf7c62d7be.jpg

Afternoon Tea:

Spoiler

cc6b73712e9b15cbb44a9f6be82d9e35.jpg

Bilbo's Tea Cake, Cucumber and Smoked Salmon sandwiches

Dinner:

Spoiler

2d173fbae717139a4e45e403939cc888.jpg

Balin's Spiced Beef (I didn't get a picture before it got broken into) and Jacket Potatoes.

Also, Mini Pork Pies!

0b62ad9cf56a6962e41a0b99c8113eb1.jpg

Not Pictured: Supper. We had meat and cheese, 10-cup Ranger cookies, and Texas Sheet Cake Mini bites. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 12

Updated my last page to be neater and to explain what the heck you are looking at. 

Fun fact: I am obsessed with bite sized food. This will come into play over Christmas too. Also, we are planning a Harry Potter marathon weekend with food too. I need a life.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, fleaball said:

Holy shit, woman. That is awesome and you are crazy.

I literally had to re-read my own posts to figure out what exactly I had said this time that was crazy. I'm still not sure. I did go easy on the amount of food I made (promise)!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

I literally had to re-read my own posts to figure out what exactly I had said this time that was crazy. I'm still not sure. I did go easy on the amount of food I made (promise)!

I’m just in awe of the amount of food and the dedication to the movie marathon. I know you didn’t make everything but putting it all together is bananas. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, fleaball said:

I’m just in awe of the amount of food and the dedication to the movie marathon. I know you didn’t make everything but putting it all together is bananas. 

I was so much fun though! Honestly, my husband had to stop me from making more things homemade. He put his foot down and made me relax more than I would have. 

I just love feeding people. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

Updated my last page to be neater and to explain what the heck you are looking at. 

Fun fact: I am obsessed with bite sized food. This will come into play over Christmas too. Also, we are planning a Harry Potter marathon weekend with food too. I need a life.

Sounds to me like you have the best life. 

I particularly loved these titles:

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

Not Pictured: Supper. We had meat and cheese, 10-cup Ranger cookies, and Texas Sheet Cake Mini bites. 

• Like 4