• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Sylvaa

[Sylvaa] Survivor

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I missed the class I normally do on Monday, but soldiered through and hit an upper body strength workout along with some swimming. I'm really loving being back in the pool now that I'm actually doing it regularly. I also had some lackluster BBQ and automatically thought of @Tanktimus the Encourager. Not sure we have any projects slated in Texas, but if so, I'm campaigning to be included!

My system just finished up a big round of expansion, I don't think there will be any more for a while. However, we are a growing city, and will have to keep adding hospitals, so who knows?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

My system just finished up a big round of expansion, I don't think there will be any more for a while. However, we are a growing city, and will have to keep adding hospitals, so who knows?

 

That doesn't stop us. In fact, that's usually when we roll in. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sylvaa is having a day.

 

My daughter had a doctor's appointment this morning, which did not go as planned. Her blood pressure was up, so they hooked her up to the stress machine for a while, then sent us for STAT labs. Still waiting on results, but if they come back abnormal, we'll be on the way to the ER.

 

Of course, in between running around for that, my check engine light came on in my car and of course it was a transmission related light. I know this because luckily, I was able to get the code checked by the nicest (but slightly strange) mechanic. He informed me that there were three possible issues; the first was a $75 part, but the other two probably meant a new transmission. On the bright side, apparently it's pretty easy to get a junkyard transmission for my made and model car. I mean, I guess that is a positive.

 

So right now, I'm waiting for a call about STAT labs, before making any decisions. At this point, work actually needs me to be on site (as like potentially the only one), but I might not go. 

 

I'll be at the gym later. 

  • Sad 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Sylvaa is having a day.

Yikes! That does not sound like a fun day. Sending good vibes your way.

 

20 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

my check engine light came on in my car

What was with cars yesterday? My light came on yesterday as well. I think mine is a bad thermostat that's creating issues for the sensors in the throttle body. I'm hoping yours is the $75 part. Nobody needs a huge hit to the pocketbook for their car this time of year...well, anytime of year really :P 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Did you hear back?

 

Nope! Which is good news - it means labs came back okay. So no ER visits for us!

 

8 hours ago, jstanlick said:

What was with cars yesterday? My light came on yesterday as well. I think mine is a bad thermostat that's creating issues for the sensors in the throttle body. I'm hoping yours is the $75 part. Nobody needs a huge hit to the pocketbook for their car this time of year...well, anytime of year really :P 

 

Oof! That is rough! We are getting it towed to the mechanic today (within the next hour), so they can take a look at it next week. We'll see what happens, because if it is something bigger than that, I might be getting a new car. 

 

Made it to the gym yesterday, then did a 4.5 mile run today. It sounds really weird to say that, because I don't consider myself a runner. Guess I am though!

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad your daughter is okay!!

 

14 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Made it to the gym yesterday, then did a 4.5 mile run today. It sounds really weird to say that, because I don't consider myself a runner. Guess I am though!

 

4.5 miles is long enough to call yourself a runner, or at least, a running enthusiast.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/9/2018 at 8:38 AM, jstanlick said:

4.5 miles is long enough to call yourself a runner, or at least, a running enthusiast.

 

Pretty sure what I do does not involve any semblance of the word "enthusiast". :D 

 

Update on our gym trip Friday: We went to Planet Fitness, as it was open and close. It wasn't as bad as I've heard honestly. First of all, our location only has pizza once a month and bagels once a month (on different weeks). Also, you can totally wear tank tops, just not spaghetti strap ones. So that kind of blew about half of the negative statements I'd heard about them. It wasn't a bad place to be and it gets us to the gym once a week together, so I'm satisfied overall. Also, ours is pretty new, so it's really clean. They have a 30 minutes circuit area, which would work for my husband really well. 

 

Two more weeks of traveling and then I have 11 days off in a row! I am so stoked to be hanging out with the family and getting some time to relax. My husband is also off for that time frame, so we get to do a lot of whatever we want (nothing) for a WHOLE WEEK. 

 

Also, got our tree up and decorated this weekend and started wrapping presents. I've got 3/4 kids almost completed (pretty much all I have left are stocking stuffers) and I've got a good bit for my husband. We're trying to figure out when we are celebrating, but dealing with multiple families (okay, technically just my husband's ex) gets annoying. 

  • Like 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2018 at 1:38 PM, Sylvaa said:

Update on our gym trip Friday: We went to Planet Fitness, as it was open and close. It wasn't as bad as I've heard honestly. First of all, our location only has pizza once a month and bagels once a month (on different weeks). Also, you can totally wear tank tops, just not spaghetti strap ones. So that kind of blew about half of the negative statements I'd heard about them. It wasn't a bad place to be and it gets us to the gym once a week together, so I'm satisfied overall. Also, ours is pretty new, so it's really clean. They have a 30 minutes circuit area, which would work for my husband really well. 

 

 

Two more weeks of traveling and then I have 11 days off in a row! I am so stoked to be hanging out with the family and getting some time to relax. My husband is also off for that time frame, so we get to do a lot of whatever we want (nothing) for a WHOLE WEEK. 

 

Also, got our tree up and decorated this weekend and started wrapping presents. I've got 3/4 kids almost completed (pretty much all I have left are stocking stuffers) and I've got a good bit for my husband. We're trying to figure out when we are celebrating, but dealing with multiple families (okay, technically just my husband's ex) gets annoying. 

 

Looks like you've encountered the potential for a solid Base of Operations to launch your and hubby's next fitness journey from.  Thinking you'll take the plunge?

 

Super envious of your 11 days off.  At least with all that time off it'll be slightly less difficult to schedule your festivities!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Looks like you've encountered the potential for a solid Base of Operations to launch your and hubby's next fitness journey from.  Thinking you'll take the plunge?

 

We've kind of already taken the plunge. The two of us are members of a gym network through my health insurance. We pay $25 each and can use any gym in the network, which includes pretty much all Planet Fitness locations. Calling it our Base of Operations is more tricky, because that location is not. :) I split my time between a YMCA in KY (on the road), our local YMCA, then Planet Fitness. My husband primarily uses a different Planet Fitness located near his work. But this location is a good Friday night gym spot.

 

A few weeks ago, I had a conversation with my husband about the whole gym thing. See, I need to workout for mental health reasons. And, while my husband is supportive, he doesn't have the drive to really do much in the way of exercise. But if he doesn't, we end up spending a "significant" amount of time apart for me to workout. I say "significant" because when we only see each other three days a week, hours add up quickly. I liked being a member of our local Y, but he felt uncomfortable going (judgement wise - even though nothing ever happened, he just felt that way). So we are compromising on Friday nights at Planet Fitness. Which works for me. 

 

I guess I haven't updated my regular schedule recently for working out. 

 

Mon - Recovery run, Active Together class (cardio, weights, balance, core, and stretching), Swim

Tue - Brick workout (usually Biking, then Interval running), Weight Program

Wed - Dance Fitness, Swim

Thur - Rest day

Fri - Recovery run or Elliptical, Weight Program

Sat - Long Run

Sun - Rest Day

 

I've found a pretty nice balance between DOING ALL THE THINGS!, Having a running program, and having a life outside the gym. Also, it's more lengthy on days I'm not at home anyway, so I don't "lose" family time. 

 

21 minutes ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Super envious of your 11 days off.  At least with all that time off it'll be slightly less difficult to schedule your festivities!

 

So I read somewhere about how people who regularly take time off end up being more productive and happier in their roles. And I know that, as an American, I am like destined to be bad about this. So I always schedule the week between Christmas and New Years off. This works out well too because the kids are off school, as is my husband, so we actually get a nice amount of time together. This year, with the way the holidays fell, I ended up taking an extra day off (because who wants to work Christmas Eve if they don't have to anyway?). 

 

I'm just being whiny about the whole situation. For the past like 4 or 5 years, we've done Christmas Eve, so my step-kids can do Christmas with their mom. They have a half-sister who is 9 or 10 now, so up until this year, Santa had been a big deal. Well, this year, there is a chance my daughter has to work Christmas Eve and their half-sister no longer believes, so we were trying to get her to do Christmas Eve so we could have Christmas. Well, their mom has to work, so she wants them Christmas. She finally agreed that as long as she had them at some point on Christmas, she would be happy. But my step-son wants to be at our house for Christmas (both steps want to be at our house Christmas morning, because I always make breakfast and my step-daughter won't sleep at her mom's). So it's very convoluted.

 

We should find out whether or not my daughter works Christmas Eve this weekend coming up, so if not, we'll do Christmas Eve with the whole family, early Christmas morning with the kids, take the step-kids to their mother's for a few hours, then bring them back to our house. Which should keep everyone happy. Maybe. Just to make this whole situation even more ridiculous, apparently mom sent my step-daughter a message asking if they could do Christmas the Saturday AFTER Christmas, partly because she hadn't started shopping or planning. According to my step-daughter, she usually does most of her shopping Christmas Eve, which is why she doesn't want to celebrate then. 

 

Today, I am pretty sure I found Flea's Christmas present (shhh!). And I got some work done - part of which was super important!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

25 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

Today, I am pretty sure I found Flea's Christmas present (shhh!).

I liked the post before I got to this part. Is it too late to take it back?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fleaball said:

 

I liked the post before I got to this part. Is it too late to take it back?

 

I'll make the disclaimer that it is not as fabulous as last year's! Also (because I know you don't like presents), this year, it is based on something you said you wanted / needed like a while ago. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

 

I'll make the disclaimer that it is not as fabulous as last year's! Also (because I know you don't like presents), this year, it is based on something you said you wanted / needed like a while ago. 

I hope it's a cat.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I hope it's a cat.

 

There is no cat involved this year. Technically, last year involved a cat. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You have a cat.

You have two cats.

But you're a grown up, so who am I to say you can't have three cats?

I mean, I've definitely complained about wanting/needing a cat before so it was clearly a logical guess. Also when I was at the dentist today she told me she has five so there's nothing wrong with three. 

 

40 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

 

There is no cat involved this year. Technically, last year involved a cat. 

I like how this implies there could still be future cats.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I mean, I've definitely complained about wanting/needing a cat before so it was clearly a logical guess. Also when I was at the dentist today she told me she has five so there's nothing wrong with three.

 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3SiUJG3vJvGX-bk1fsAh

I now want this mug

 

6 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I like how this implies there could still be future cats.

 

I mean, cats are always a possibility.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

But you're a grown up, so who am I to say you can't have three cats?

I have three cats....

 

not claiming the grown up part though, can't make me!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Story Time!:

 

These are the Days of My Life ...

 

So my office building has been undergoing some changes. Offices have moved out, offices have switched around, it's been fun. 

 

On Monday, when I got on site, there was a new sign in the women's restroom. It was a very lovely done Word Doc (complete with Smart Art) stating, "Don't Forget to WASH YOUR HANDS". Now, I want to set the stage for you. My office building is on the cusp of a not so very nice part of town. So it is locked down. Like, you can't enter without a badge without going through security (there are a lot of homeless people around who try to stay warm). We are on the third floor and the offices only have so many people. There might be 15 women who use this bathroom. 

 

Today, I walk into the bathroom and there is a new sign, "WASH YOUR HANDS" and then, in pink highlighter, "Do not remove this sign" above the print and, "is someone feeling guilty?" below the print.

 

Now, I don't know who doesn't wash their hands here. I haven't seen anyone not wash their hands. But seriously, it's not like it's a super widely used restroom. And there are a number of people who go in there to like, fix their hair or make up (seriously, there was a can of hair spray on the counter for like the first two months we were in that office). So just because you see someone leave without washing their hands doesn't necessarily mean they used the bathroom without washing their hands. But if you are going to be that snarky in a note, why not just use your mouth and say something to the person?

 

It could be worse though, our old office had a sign in the restroom that said, "if you continue to flush things other than toilet paper, we will take away your paper towels". 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now