• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ensi

The IE Group - Intuitive Eating Support Group (Part 2: The IE Group Returns)

Welcome to the IE Group!

FearlessFineGermanspitz-small.gif

This group is for everyone, who wishes to practice intuitive eating. It doesn’t matter, if you’re just starting or if you’re a seasoned veteran: everyone’s welcome! This group is for sharing ideas and experiences around intuitive eating, and to offer guidance with issues that members might have.

Rules:

• Intuitive eating is a very personal experience, so we’re not here to tell one another how to do it “right”. Instead, we support everyone to find their own way and navigate through their issues
  • Discussion should be mostly about intuitive eating and everything that has something to do with it
  • Personal venting is allowed, but put it under spoilers
  • Do not share material that encourages dieting or food restrictions - this group is not the place for that
  • Sharing material on intuitive eating is allowed
  • Avoid discussing exact calorie amounts or goal weights, as some might find this triggering (or put them under spoilers, too)
  • Taking part in challenges and other activities is optional. Use this group in any way you find helpful
  • Taking part in discussions that you find difficult or emotionally taxing is not expected of you. If something's too much for you to handle, feel free to skip the discussion

It is very likely that there will be discussion surrounding eating disorders and/or unhealthy relationship with food, since many discover intuitive eating after a long time of dieting or suffering from an eating disorder. This is why it’s important to understand that we are not trained psychologists, therapists, or dietitians: this group doesn’t replace getting professional help for your issues with food, but we’re here to offer support to one another. Some of us might have a healthy relationship with food, some not, and it's all OK: we're here to learn and grow :)

How to join? Come and say hello! If you wish to give a brief introduction of yourself and/or a link to your current challenge, that would be lovely :) ( But don't feel pressured to share any information you'd rather keep to yourself.)

What are the challenges about? The point of the challenges is to give one another mental support as we do things that are new and/or scary to us. For example, we might try eating our fear foods, or spend a week paying extra attention to our hunger or satiety signals. We encourage you to come up with your own challenge ideas and tell us about them: this is a wonderful opportunity to get support for something specific you're struggling with!

Current members:

• Ensi
  • Terah
  • Tobbe
  • Mad Hatter
  • TheGreyJediRanger
  • Arkania
  • Tanktimus the Encourager
  • RedStone
  • suzyQlou
  • Mahalak
  • annyshay
  • Cheetah

Intuitive Eating Resources

Books

Videos and podcasts

Articles

• Like 3

May the madness continue ;) Sorry I've been slightly less active than at the start, but I have a few assignments going on! It should get easier in a day or two :D I love reading your conversations, you're awesome :love_heart:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RedStone said:

giphy.gif

tumblr_mfwvhgQClk1r6rdclo1_500.gif

Just kidding :D You're very welcome! We had a pretty active conversation during the previous challenge, so jump in and have fun :)

By the way, we just had a small challenge! If you want to complete it, here it is:

Time for a new challenge! This week we're gonna take a look at what we're currently doing in order to make IE work for us. Maybe you're just starting out, or maybe you've already practiced it for a while, but list out the things you are doing to practice IE. If you're just starting out, you might be learning to listen to your hunger signals. If you've practiced IE it for a while, you might have learned that you get hungry on your way home from work, and you always have a small snack before you leave work to prevent being ravenous when you get home. Maybe you haven't started yet, and are not sure what to do. In that case, you can start thinking about things that you could start doing: learning to eat enough, trying to eat every two to three hours... You can also write down the thoughts that keep you from starting, and we can discuss them together and help you get over the fears.

So, that's the challenge for the week! Just think about the things you do, and reflect on them. Do they work? Would you like to do something else? Are there problem areas in your habits?

Taking part in challenges is totally optional, so you don't have to do this, if you don't feel like it :)

I'm happy to say that my efforts to eat more before bedtime have helped me sleep better! I've had baked sweet potato with turkey cold cuts, which is a pretty good combo (both carbs and protein), but I also have a bit of peanut butter, because why not :P Right now my main goal is to slow down, and spend less time on online surfing. I get caught in the morning, and I procrastinate while doing my assignments...! It takes a lot of time and energy, to be honest. For the past couple of days, I've just turned off my laptop, and realized how much more space I have to draw and do... well, anything, really :D I'm gonna make a new challenge at some point, but now I'm gonna study a bit...

• Like 4

I'm here for this one as well!

Still far from caught up with everything, even in the old thread. But I'm working on it! :) One thing I'm going is watching that one hour long IE video that was posted in the last thread. I'm about 1/3 in to it. Liking it so far Thumbs Up

• Like 1

On 11/18/2018 at 8:09 PM, Arkania said:

I struggled a lot the last 2 weeks with my eating.

Reveal hidden contents

After I decided to do IE i ate AAAALL the things. SO the scale went higher and higher. People noticed and told me that they can tell that I gained weight. That I look "more".

And I am very anxious about that. It was a lot for two weeks. 5kg.

BUT I ate almost just carbs. Bread, bread rolls, pizza, all the good stuff. So there might (there is) some water and I think because of all the carbs I was so bloated. Because they take a lot of time to digest. Longer than protein etc.

But I think this "haven't had it for years, need it now!" is now done. Yesterday and today was sort of "normal" again. Hopefully.

I can'T stand this weight. Ok, it's not the weight itself (the number) but the way I look now.

BUT!!!! I put the scales in the basement. Yay!

Sorry to hear about your struggles :(  Still feeling bad, or is it better now?

8 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I'm here for this one as well!

Still far from caught up with everything, even in the old thread. But I'm working on it! :) One thing I'm going is watching that one hour long IE video that was posted in the last thread. I'm about 1/3 in to it. Liking it so far Thumbs Up

Welcome! :)

Yeah, I think I'll go back to the old thread and bring something here...! For example, @Terah asked if there are positive changes from your former self (instead of just thinking how old you've gotten haha :D ). Hmm. I can look at old pictures and think that I was pretty back then, but I know how uncertain and anxious I was - I was diagnosed with anxiety disorder at some point. I wasn't my own authentic self, so I don't really miss those times. Then again, I have had to make some mental work so that I don't block the past away. I'm getting better at it, but it's still hard to look back and see all the time and energy wasted on trying to be perfect.

As for the positive changes: I like the way my body changed after I started eating more carbs and everything! My body relaxed after a long time of restriction and dieting: I have rounder shapes, and (here I go again) THE HIPS. There's a layer of fat on my bum that wasn't there before, and I love it :D I noticed it after the first few weeks. First I was like ?? but then I realized that I really liked the changes. I've also had to really consider, what my idea of a desirable body type is. I had been so busy trying to be ripped that I never stopped and considered that maybe that's not what I wanted. (The "strong is the new thin" thing probably also affected me a lot, because these things comment very strongly on what female body is supposed to look like in our society, which plays a big part in eating disorders.) I want to be a bit round (think about Marilyn Monroe) and/or "normal" - I'm not an athlete, so I don't need to look like one. If my ideal body type is "normal", then I don't need to have such rigid restrictions and rules concerning diet and exercise. My anxiety disorder is gone, too, and I'm sure it's because I've had energy to find other solutions to my problems than food.

Instead of looking back at my old self and feeling negative, though, I would like to apologize to that old me for the things she had to go through. She didn't deserve any of it, but she tried her best at all times with the knowledge she then had, and came through.

I'd also like to bring back the hunger-fullness article @Tobbe mentioned in the previous thread! I have to go soon, but I took a short look at it, and it listed other signs of hunger than just the feeling you get in your stomach. That's a really good thing to learn! I'll comment a bit more later today :) Have yourselves a lovely day!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Sorry to hear about your struggles :(  Still feeling bad, or is it better now?

Yeah it got better.

Just worte about that in my challenge thread.

• Like 2

I thought I didn't have big food fears. I thought I'd made my peace with food. But then:

Spoiler

Yesterday I was buying some small presents to put in the shoes of my boys (google 'sinterklaas' if you're confused) and I saw mars bars in that store. 

I remembered Def (another rebel here on nf) had posted she had melted a mars bar in hot milk to make mars chocolate milk, and I thought why won't I buy some to try it for myself. 

And I just couldn't. I had so many "good" reasons not to buy it... And ended up leaving the store with just the toys. 

How do I do this? Just suck it up and buy a pack? Ease I into it and buy mini's or a single bar? 

ETA: I just bought a pack of mars bars and actually ate one. Just to get it out of the way. I was too tense to actually enjoy it, it also tasted almost too sweet. 

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. 

Or they'll just sit in the cabinet for a year before I trow them out :p

2 hours ago, Arkania said:

Yeah it got better.

Just worte about that in my challenge thread.

Glad that it got better :) Sorry that I'm not up to date with your challenge thread. Still trying to catch up on everything everywhere...

6 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Glad that it got better :) Sorry that I'm not up to date with your challenge thread. Still trying to catch up on everything everywhere...

No problem ata ll, was just too lazy to c&p it here :D

7 hours ago, Terah said:

I thought I didn't have big food fears. I thought I'd made my peace with food. But then:

Hide contents

Yesterday I was buying some small presents to put in the shoes of my boys (google 'sinterklaas' if you're confused) and I saw mars bars in that store. 

I remembered Def (another rebel here on nf) had posted she had melted a mars bar in hot milk to make mars chocolate milk, and I thought why won't I buy some to try it for myself. 

And I just couldn't. I had so many "good" reasons not to buy it... And ended up leaving the store with just the toys. 

How do I do this? Just suck it up and buy a pack? Ease I into it and buy mini's or a single bar? 

ETA: I just bought a pack of mars bars and actually ate one. Just to get it out of the way. I was too tense to actually enjoy it, it also tasted almost too sweet. 

Maybe I'll try again tomorrow. 

Or they'll just sit in the cabinet for a year before I trow them out :p

First of all, that sounds like a ridiculously delicious idea. Second of all, ease into it. Buy a small package, or invite some people over and only have as much as you feel comfortable. You're building trust here: allow yourself to see that having a small amount of Mars is OK, then that a bit more is totally OK, and with time, you build trust. You don't have to feel comfortable about eating an X amount of your fear food right away just to prove yourself that you're over your fear foods. Why is it so important for you to eat that chocolate? Is it a true indicator of your process, or is it just another demand for yourself ("if I can feel like this, then I prove to myself that I'm doing OK")? You're doing OK, and that Mars bar is just a Mars bar. Focus on eating enough at meal times, and enjoy a Mars bar, if you want. And how much chocolate do you think you could eat on a daily basis for it to be "safe"?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Ensi said:

First of all, that sounds like a ridiculously delicious idea.

I thought so :D

Why is it so important for you to eat that chocolate? 

It was more that I was surprised and disappointed that I was unable to buy the mars... I don't want food to have power over me. 

And how much chocolate do you think you could eat on a daily basis for it to be "safe"?

I don't have a specific amount in mind. But I do want to be able to eat it if I want some. 

You're doing OK, and that Mars bar is just a Mars bar. Focus on eating enough at meal times, and enjoy a Mars bar, if you want.

I hope I will get there :)

• Like 2

Hi everyone! An excellent day to report! It's Thanksgiving here in the states, and I've already had a few disgruntled moments. Getting some head space for myself to sit here and type out some stuff is a great mental break to help keep things moving in a positive direction.

So here are a few things I do to practice IE!

1. Eat breakfast despite a lack of hunger. This seems counterintuitive to IE, but after about 8-9 months of exploring hunger cues/energy levels etc, I discovered that my days function so much better if I eat breakfast despite hunger cues. I put this in the - do it because I know I feel better/in the long run my body needs it - camp. Missing breakfast usually results in a blood sugar crash + I have low blood pressure = dizziness and the shakes, as well as mindless binging later in the day. As I do most days, I had breakfast this morning, despite family saying I should starve in order to stuff my pie hole during Thanksgiving later. Thanks but no thanks, and I feel fine.

2. Setting intentions for the day. Lately, I've been setting intentions for mindfulness, both while eating and just being present throughout my day AKA not watching every single squirrel that scurries by. Even though this is sort of the goal everyday, taking the time to actually say it to myself really helps me set the tone for the day and keep it.

3. Curating social media. If something on social media triggers me, it's out. I don't feel bad about, I remind myself I can always come back to it another time... but lately the fitness industry as a whole feels really weird to me and we're kind of taking a break right now :lol:

4. Journalling. I follow a lot of journal prompts and try to get in at least a little observation every day.

5. Practicing. I just finished a program with an IE coach, and despite me wanted to continue, she says it is time for baby bird to fly the coop and starting putting in the practice and applying what I've learned. I believe the lesson is about building self reliance, and she assures me that a new period of absorbing will happen in the future. In so many ways, it's magnificent kismet that I spotted this thread just as I was going off on my way - having a place to stay connected while not necessarily reliant seems like a great place to settle in, report back for accountability, and not feel totally adrift. Grateful to have found you!!!

6. Observing without emotion. This is one of the biggest ones for me right now, and something I have to practice a lot. Things like seeing myself in the mirror, seeing other fitness professionals doing things I disagree with, having ice cream after lunch. I see the thing, and say "that's interesting," and move on. It's hard for me not to have an emotional reaction, but it's getting easier. For certain things, I've been able to do appropriate word swaps that now paints formerly bad things in a positive light. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, RedStone said:

not watching every single squirrel that scurries by.

I do hope you don't mean literal squirrels, because they're super cute and totally worth getting distracted by. :lol:

Awesome stuff though. Out of curiosity - what journal prompts are you using?

I love that your coach said no to more work rather than keep taking your money. Sign of a great coach right there!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Terah said:

It was more that I was surprised and disappointed that I was unable to buy the mars... I don't want food to have power over me. 

I had this a few years ago... I was having an awful day and was nearly in tears and bought this beanie baby rhino to keep me company while I was running errands. The next errand was groceries and I was looking at flavored oatmeal vs plain. At the time I "wasn't allowed" flavored and the beanie baby gave me this super kind supportive look and I cried right there in the aisle, in front of all the oatmeal. He told me it was ok, that I should get it, and I did. I don't think I ate it right away, but eventually... and then fast forward - now I have flavored oatmeal on some days days - and unflavored and all the other things in between. And that is the origin story of how a 40 year old woman now has an emotional support rhino with it's own IG. Life is funny. 

But yeah, in the long run, removing "good" and "bad" tags off of foods - all foods - made it a lot easier to listen to my body and not feel imprisoned by my choices. <3 All I had to do was take a leap and trust that the world wasn't going to explode, even if it was a bad choice. (Spoiler, it wasn't! ;))

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I do hope you don't mean literal squirrels, because they're super cute and totally worth getting distracted by. :lol:

LOL no, not really ;) mostly internet conversations. I get really wrapped up and it's hard for me to walk away... but when too many happen at once I end up not really paying 40% to anything... And I totally do this while eating so it's a big no bueno for RedStone!

2 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Awesome stuff though. Out of curiosity - what journal prompts are you using?

I love that your coach said no to more work rather than keep taking your money. Sign of a great coach right there!

Oooo I have a list I've been amassing! Maybe I'll make a google doc we can all share and add to - when I got home this weekend!

And yes. When the course was coming to an end I even:

giphy.gif

but she wouldn't have it! :lol:

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, RedStone said:

an emotional support rhino with it's own IG

I need to follow him(her?)! Where can I find your rhino on IG? 

Love the emotional support rhino story!

1 hour ago, RedStone said:

Oooo I have a list I've been amassing! Maybe I'll make a google doc we can all share and add to - when I got home this weekend!

That'd be great!

Btw, are you still doing PT? Because I can definitely see how that'd be tricky to navigate. Personally most of the people I follow are pole dancers and climbers, of which many are super lean. I do try to ruthlessly cull anything that smells of fitspo and I try to add people of all sizes, though those are sadly kinda hard to find. I'm imagining it's even worse if you're actually in the industry.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Terah said:

I don't have a specific amount in mind. But I do want to be able to eat it if I want some. 

If you tried to help someone else to face their fears, would you tell them you're surprised and disappointed when they don't succeed? No, you wouldn't, because you're one of the kindest people I know :D What needs to happen, more than that Mars bar, is that you start supporting yourself instead of pressuring yourself into doing things that feel uncomfortable doing. See even the smallest progress (would you have considered buying that Mars bar in the first place a couple of months ago?), and give yourself credit :) Like RedStone said, you could start practicing observing without emotion. You will probably have that disappointed reaction in the future (and it's totally understandable!), so when that happens,  say to yourself, "that's interesting", or maybe, "oh, this reaction again", and move on. It's OK that food still has some power over you, and it will take some time until you reach the level where you're comfortable. It's like training any other muscle: you can't lift up 50 kg, if you have only been practicing with 5 kg. You got this :love_heart:

10 hours ago, RedStone said:

Hi everyone! An excellent day to report! It's Thanksgiving here in the states, and I've already had a few disgruntled moments. Getting some head space for myself to sit here and type out some stuff is a great mental break to help keep things moving in a positive direction.

So here are a few things I do to practice IE!

1. Eat breakfast despite a lack of hunger. This seems counterintuitive to IE, but after about 8-9 months of exploring hunger cues/energy levels etc, I discovered that my days function so much better if I eat breakfast despite hunger cues. I put this in the - do it because I know I feel better/in the long run my body needs it - camp. Missing breakfast usually results in a blood sugar crash + I have low blood pressure = dizziness and the shakes, as well as mindless binging later in the day. As I do most days, I had breakfast this morning, despite family saying I should starve in order to stuff my pie hole during Thanksgiving later. Thanks but no thanks, and I feel fine.

2. Setting intentions for the day. Lately, I've been setting intentions for mindfulness, both while eating and just being present throughout my day AKA not watching every single squirrel that scurries by. Even though this is sort of the goal everyday, taking the time to actually say it to myself really helps me set the tone for the day and keep it.

3. Curating social media. If something on social media triggers me, it's out. I don't feel bad about, I remind myself I can always come back to it another time... but lately the fitness industry as a whole feels really weird to me and we're kind of taking a break right now :lol:

4. Journalling. I follow a lot of journal prompts and try to get in at least a little observation every day.

5. Practicing. I just finished a program with an IE coach, and despite me wanted to continue, she says it is time for baby bird to fly the coop and starting putting in the practice and applying what I've learned. I believe the lesson is about building self reliance, and she assures me that a new period of absorbing will happen in the future. In so many ways, it's magnificent kismet that I spotted this thread just as I was going off on my way - having a place to stay connected while not necessarily reliant seems like a great place to settle in, report back for accountability, and not feel totally adrift. Grateful to have found you!!!

6. Observing without emotion. This is one of the biggest ones for me right now, and something I have to practice a lot. Things like seeing myself in the mirror, seeing other fitness professionals doing things I disagree with, having ice cream after lunch. I see the thing, and say "that's interesting," and move on. It's hard for me not to have an emotional reaction, but it's getting easier. For certain things, I've been able to do appropriate word swaps that now paints formerly bad things in a positive light. 

Such great things to do! Thanks for sharing :) And I agree with #1: I can't function without a breakfast for very long :D Here's an article Tobbe linked before, it lists some other hunger signals:

Most people think of hunger as an emptiness or gnawing in their stomach, but hunger can present itself in different ways. For example, while I notice hunger as a sensation in my stomach in the late-morning, afternoon and evening, in the morning, I never notice a physical sensation of hunger. For me, I know I'm pushing it too long without eating if I start to feel anxious. That's my sign that I'm 3 or below on the scale and need to eat pretty immediately. 

Other signs of hunger you might notice - low energy/fatigue, moodiness, poor attention, headache, stomach upset, dizziness or shakiness. If you notice one of these physical signs pop up 3-4 hours after you last ate something substantial, it's a good chance it's hunger. 

Low energy, poor attention and dizziness are certainly signs that I start noticing after 3-4 hours after my previous meal. Actually, the more I allow myself to eat, the less obvious the "gnawing in the stomach" kind of hunger is. It takes time to learn how to recognize your own signals, though!

10 hours ago, RedStone said:

Peer support for the win!

tumblr_ouidmbsse11qelqjto1_250.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ensi said:

tried to help someone else to face their fears, would you tell them you're surprised and disappointed when they don't succeed? No, you wouldn't, because you're one of the kindest people I know :D What needs to happen, more than that Mars bar, is that you start supporting yourself instead of pressuring yourself into doing things that feel uncomfortable doing. See even the smallest progress (would you have considered buying that Mars bar in the first place a couple of months ago?), and give yourself credit :) Like RedStone said, you could start practicing observing without emotion. You will probably have that disappointed reaction in the future (and it's totally understandable!), so when that happens,  say to yourself, "that's interesting", or maybe, "oh, this reaction again", and move on. It's OK that food still has some power over you, and it will take some time until you reach the level where you're comfortable. It's like training any other muscle: you can't lift up 50 kg, if you have only been practicing with 5 kg. You got this :love_heart:

I had not thought of it like this. For some reason being kind to others is way easier for me than being kind to myself... 

I feel like I've made such great progress in such a short time. It made me feel kind of invincible :p  I guess I still have to be patient with myself. 

Maybe I'll go back to the "life on tellus" course to help practice mindfulness,to practice to be more observing and less judgy :)

• Like 3