• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ensi

The IE Group - Intuitive Eating Support Group (Part 2: The IE Group Returns)

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Hope you guys don't mind, I've been lurking around here.

Of course not! :) 

18 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I've always heard the recommendation to eat til you're 80% full, which to me is just about as you hit 5.

The recommendation, or wording, I've most often heard is "Don't eat until you're full, eat until you're no longer hungry", or "If you eat until you're feeling full you've eaten too much. You should stop when you're just no longer hungry". Which seems to be a 5, at least on this scale: https://www.rachaelhartleynutrition.com/blog/beyond-the-hunger-fullness-scale But I've always been really frustrated by this advice, as I hate never being allowed to feel properly full. So having someone not just saying it's alright to not just eat until you feel full, but to actually eat until you almost feel a little bit uncomfortable sounds almost too good to be true!

I have a plan that will allow me to play around with how much I eat at various meals, and see how it affects me/makes me feel. It's just difficult to find a good time to execute the plan as there always seems to be other things happening that would interfere with my plan :chargrined:

• Like 1

Started reading this (very old) thread at another forum http://happyeaters.spruz.com/forums/?page=post&id=E4C215B4-0F9C-481E-ABF1-450C277861F7

Only read the first page this far, then I got sucked down some other Internet rabbit hole... But already, in the first page, found two things I'd like to quote :) 

"If guilt and body shaming actually worked, you'd be a swizzle stick at this point."

"You quit being a hateful jerk to yourself. From there, you can do anything."

8 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Of course not! :) 

The recommendation, or wording, I've most often heard is "Don't eat until you're full, eat until you're no longer hungry", or "If you eat until you're feeling full you've eaten too much. You should stop when you're just no longer hungry". Which seems to be a 5, at least on this scale: https://www.rachaelhartleynutrition.com/blog/beyond-the-hunger-fullness-scale But I've always been really frustrated by this advice, as I hate never being allowed to feel properly full. So having someone not just saying it's alright to not just eat until you feel full, but to actually eat until you almost feel a little bit uncomfortable sounds almost too good to be true!

I have a plan that will allow me to play around with how much I eat at various meals, and see how it affects me/makes me feel. It's just difficult to find a good time to execute the plan as there always seems to be other things happening that would interfere with my plan :chargrined:

I tell my boys to listen to their tummy and let it tell them when there is enough food inside. The only way they can overeat is when they think it's really tasty and they eat too fast and forget to chew. 

The number scale can be useful to help you get in tune with your hunger signals, but it shouldn't be the next diet. Just do what works for you and keep listening to your tummy ;)

41 minutes ago, Terah said:

it shouldn't be the next diet

Agreed! In my opinion I think there is a little bit too much emphasis on every single meal being perfect, with just the right amount of food, and exactly the food you're most craving. Especially this article talks a lot about having food options, so you can always pick what you think will be most satisfying for your next meal https://alissarumsey.com/intuitive-eating/meal-prep-intuitive-eating/

The problem with that, that I see, is that in many families today's dinner is next day's lunchbox. And, when preparing that lunch box, how can you know how hungry you will be for lunch next day, or how can you know exactly what food you will find most satisfying? Or if you're cooking for a whole family, how are you supposed to honor everyones cravings for different foods in the same meal?  I just don't think that's realistic.

What I do instead (on good days, when my ED isn't acting up too much) is to just eat what is available for that single meal. Sometimes more food is available than I need. Sometimes I wish there was more food available. If I have put more food on my plate (or in my lunchbox) than what I really needed to hit the exact right spot on the hunger/fullness scale I'll still finish all of the food. In all cases I'll just trust my body to either signal hunger again sooner or later depending on if I ate "too little" or "too much", and/or make the next meal smaller/bigger depending on what my body needs. 

So as long as my day contains one or two more flexible meals and/or the possibility to pick what/when to snack I think that over the course of the day it will all even out :) 

• Like 1

I just found this thread, but I'm trying IE since last June, with some struggles.

I find that if I chew 30ish times I relise my fullness too, but I barely remember that!

Also, I *should* avoid sugars because of PCOS, but my sugar craving in very high!

My other issue is technical: for my current home situation I have little access to the kitchen (and it is going on for 6 months) so my diet too often is something around reach hunger, walk around the shop without being able to choose, buy some ready to eat crap, be unsatisfied, repeat.

Yet, I'm still trying and I think this is the right approach overall, even if I'm struggling with it.

Does anyone wake up in the morning, even after not having had dinner, without feeling hungry?!?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, Diadhuit said:

Does anyone wake up in the morning, even after not having had dinner, without feeling hungry?!?

Absolutely. Often if I go to bed hungry my body has almost given up on sending out hunger signals by the time I wake up the next day...

Absolutely. Often if I go to bed hungry my body has almost given up on sending out hunger signals by the time I wake up the next day...
Oooh! That is interesting! I think my body needs movement to kickstart signals.
Would you suggest to eat breakfast anyway for some time and see if I start receiving hunger signals?

46 minutes ago, Diadhuit said:

Would you suggest to eat breakfast anyway for some time and see if I start receiving hunger signals?

Nah, try having that dinner the night before instead :) 

I think it depends - do you have energy to function in the morning without breakfast? Does it throw off the rest of the day? If you need breakfast then it might be helpful to eat something. Once you get used to eating at certain times your hunger cues should kick in. But if it doesn't bother you then it's up to!

2 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Also, I *should* avoid sugars because of PCOS, but my sugar craving in very high!

My other issue is technical: for my current home situation I have little access to the kitchen (and it is going on for 6 months) so my diet too often is something around reach hunger, walk around the shop without being able to choose, buy some ready to eat crap, be unsatisfied, repeat.

I wonder if these two are not related? If you don't eat the right things to feel satisfied maybe it causes your sugar cravings to sky rocket.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

So as long as my day contains one or two more flexible meals and/or the possibility to pick what/when to snack I think that over the course of the day it will all even out :) 

I think so too! Sure if I had my own personal chef and assistant and nutritionist I could have exactly what I wanted and needed at any given time, but alas I don't so I'll just have to trust my body to figure it out. :P 

And it's not that difficult to adjust really. If you happen to not have enough for lunch grab a snack afterwards, if it's way too much don't eat it all at once.

I also think that if you add enough variety it's probably going to cover all grounds. 

The whole discussion about being an anaconda vs a grazer made me think of how much bias there is. If a skinny person eats a lot the assumption goes "oh lucky you you can eat whatever you want and still be skinny", even if it's the only meal of the day. For a fat person it's too often "gross or should you really be eating that much?" :angry:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

Totally. I'm never hungry in the morning, but if I don't breakfast, I have a blood sugar crash a few hours later and sometimes get faint, so I do it anyway. Took some trial and error to find out what worked for me - I have to keep notes and stuff for reference when I'm trying out different methods to see what works, but in the long run I no longer feel bogged down with those questions so I think it's been worth it :) 

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

If you don't eat the right things to feel satisfied maybe it causes your sugar cravings to sky rocket.

Totes! I've been having that a lot lately, started using some nice protein powder to get it in and it's helping from both sides!

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

The whole discussion about being an anaconda vs a grazer made me think of how much bias there is. If a skinny person eats a lot the assumption goes "oh lucky you you can eat whatever you want and still be skinny", even if it's the only meal of the day. For a fat person it's too often "gross or should you really be eating that much?"

I put this amazeballs shirt on my family holiday gift swap but they didn't go for it :lol: I ended up explaining it to my mom anyway and referenced it several times throughout our trip together... but the big takeaway was having to remind myself the same damn thing every time I felt myself judging my pre-diabetic dad. I'm just gonna get it for myself :P 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RedStone said:

I put this amazeballs shirt on my family holiday gift swap but they didn't go for it :lol: I ended up explaining it to my mom anyway and referenced it several times throughout our trip together... but the big takeaway was having to remind myself the same damn thing every time I felt myself judging my pre-diabetic dad. I'm just gonna get it for myself :P 

Love it! :D And that's a great point, even if you're concerned about someone's health 1) you don't know the whole story and 2) judging won't help. Talking gently to and/or educating the person might help if you're genuinely concerned about their health, or sometimes you just have to mind your own business until they want help...

• Like 1

I think it depends - do you have energy to function in the morning without breakfast? Does it throw off the rest of the day? If you need breakfast then it might be helpful to eat something. Once you get used to eating at certain times your hunger cues should kick in. But if it doesn't bother you then it's up to!

I wonder if these two are not related? If you don't eat the right things to feel satisfied maybe it causes your sugar cravings to sky rocket.

Thanks! I think they might be related, but more exploration is needed.

I used to eat at very specific times (7am, 1pm, 8-9pm) and even then I wouldn't feel hungry until I would feel starving.
I am never satisfied by eating at work, is it a salad, or a microwaved food, or a sandwich, but lunch is my main meal, the one I don't feel like skipping.

Took some trial and error to find out what worked for me - I have to keep notes and stuff for reference when I'm trying out different methods to see what works, but in the long run I no longer feel bogged down with those questions so I think it's been worth it  

Yeah, that's the other question: how do you keep notes? I manage to write down what I eat with reference to my hands (a fist of veggie etc.). Do you track how you feel? How often? What else do you track?

2 minutes ago, Diadhuit said:

Thanks! I think they might be related, but more exploration is needed.

I used to eat at very specific times (7am, 1pm, 8-9pm) and even then I wouldn't feel hungry until I would feel starving.
I am never satisfied by eating at work, is it a salad, or a microwaved food, or a sandwich, but lunch is my main meal, the one I don't feel like skipping.

Exploration is key. :)

I sometimes don't get classic hunger signals, especially in the mornings. Instead I just get tired and lethargic, or even a bit sad. I think I need a nap but in fact I need food. Or I get cravings. It's just an example, but it could be worth nothing if you get any other types of signals that are not necessarily just the classic rumbling tummy hunger signals. 

Sounds like you might simply need a bit more for lunch since it's your main meal. For me if I eat a salad or something too small I often get massive cravings as I go home from work so I need to make sure I have food at hand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Diadhuit said:

Yeah, that's the other question: how do you keep notes? I manage to write down what I eat with reference to my hands (a fist of veggie etc.). Do you track how you feel? How often? What else do you track?

During different points of the process I've focused on different things. Figuring our hunger cues was tough for me, and I never really kept good journals on that, just sort of made mental notes until it clicked. Trying to figure out scheduling and eating when not hungry was a different story - In my case it was important to track blood sugar crashes and workout energy. I'm a very small woman with low blood pressure and a fitness professional, so I payed attention to whether or not I had a crash and when, how fatigued I felt during a day of training for work, and whether or not I had the energy to workout during breaks. It's all super simple, just little scribbles in a small notebook. Here's what a crash day looked like for me:

(I can tell I didn't get what I needed because I had all that wine! :tongue: I don't crave that stuff in excess unless I'm lacking in macros)

WYSRnEs.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Instead I just get tired and lethargic, or even a bit sad

It me :) I get sad. I know some people get hangry :lol: but not me. I get sad and weepy and I'm like, hey girl, whats wrong, then it's like, oh, when was the last time you ate?? Silly RedStone

• Like 1

Hello, lovelies! Our Headquarters is no longer tied to the challenges:

Thank you for the idea, @Mad Hatter! It's much easier and more pleasant to keep the conversation going this way :) See you there!

• Like 3

It me  I get sad. I know some people get hangry  but not me. I get sad and weepy and I'm like, hey girl, whats wrong, then it's like, oh, when was the last time you ate?? Silly RedStone
Sad, hangry and undecisive, yes that is defo my hunger signal. I remember a date night walking for restaurants that were close, ending up walking in a Lidl for food and not being able to decide what to have. I was crying and mentally blaming my bf. He is a keeper as he is still with me :sweat_smile:

Also a very weird fullness signal of mine is when I overeat (Christmas style) I can't stop eating. It's like if I suddenly think that eating is the cure for overeating nausea. Maybe because when I'm really starving I'm nauseous and don't feel like eating.

During different points of the process I've focused on different things. Figuring our hunger cues was tough for me, and I never really kept good journals on that, just sort of made mental notes until it clicked. Trying to figure out scheduling and eating when not hungry was a different story - In my case it was important to track blood sugar crashes and workout energy. I'm a very small woman with low blood pressure and a fitness professional, so I payed attention to whether or not I had a crash and when, how fatigued I felt during a day of training for work, and whether or not I had the energy to workout during breaks. It's all super simple, just little scribbles in a small notebook. Here's what a crash day looked like for me:

(I can tell I didn't get what I needed because I had all that wine! :tongue: I don't crave that stuff in excess unless I'm lacking in macros)

WYSRnEs.jpg

This is so helpful, thanks!
My last attempt was similar to yours, but too detailed to keep it up (what I ate, how I felt when I ate, or in general)

5 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

not being able to decide what to have.

Totally been there, I get you.

5 hours ago, Diadhuit said:

This is so helpful, thanks!
My last attempt was similar to yours, but too detailed to keep it up (what I ate, how I felt when I ate, or in general)

Yeah, I think the instinct is just to track all the things, figure out all the things, do it all in one swoop, but I've never actually succeeded that way so I dunno :lol: little bit at a time does it for me! Good luck!!

(btb, did you see the new thread?)