• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ensi

The IE Group - Intuitive Eating Support Group (Part 2: The IE Group Returns)

7 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Yes, regular sugar :)

That means I have all the ingredients! 

Oh wait, my mom has been baking a lot of goodies for the Sinterklaas celebration this afternoon... Maybe I'll wait until we finished those before I go baking :D

• Haha 1

When the challenge came up initially, I didn't think that I had any fear foods. I think that I've worked through a lot of thoughts that I had about certain foods, but sometimes the guilt is still there. This shows up mostly with non-plant-based carbohydrates as RedStone mentioned. The particular ones lately have been bread and doughnuts. I also am very careful about dried fruits because I tended to eat a ton of them in the past.

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever had fear foods. I might have issues with eating but the idea of demonising foods has never made sense to me. The cycles of most trendy fear foods are simply too quick. Yes there’s a lot of nutrition research, but it doesn’t tend to go that fast, nor always be well done or applicable to humans and most importantly not done within a context of a balanced, varied and adequate food intake. For example you can’t draw any sort of conclusion that sugar is evil or dangerous by feeding a starved eat sugar and seeing it go haywire.

@Terah awesome for trying the mars bar hot chocolate! I actually tried it to and also found it to be a bit meh, not a fan of mars bars tbh. I’ll stick to my standard recipe of darkish chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. :) 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I’ll stick to my standard recipe of darkish chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon.

Interesting. My wife only mixes cacao, regular sugar and milk.

Thinking that maybe I should treat her to something a little more fancy, like you recipe there :)  Would go well with the theme of my current challenge too! :)  

4 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Interesting. My wife only mixes cacao, regular sugar and milk.

Thinking that maybe I should treat her to something a little more fancy, like you recipe there :)  Would go well with the theme of my current challenge too! :)  

I just much prefer the richer mouthfeel of using chocolate than cocoa, and I find you have to add a lot more sugar to pure cocoa to make it less bitter, which again changes the texture. You can of course change things up as well, adding for example chilli or booze or mint. :) 

29 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Booze probably isn't the best idea, with her being pregnant and all... :P I think the cacao is more of a convenience thing as well

Haha I meant in general, but fair point. :P 

I’ve NO idea about the amounts, I go by colour to judge the amount of chocolate and taste for the rest haha.

3 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

@Terah awesome for trying the mars bar hot chocolate! I actually tried it to and also found it to be a bit meh, not a fan of mars bars tbh. I’ll stick to my standard recipe of darkish chocolate, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon

That sounds like an amazing recipe! Going to try that for sure, thanks for sharing :)

I make chocolate milk for my boys a lot: 200 ml almond milk, 1 tbsp coconut sugar and 1 tbsp unsweetened cacao powder. They love it, and I don't feel like a bad mom because it's not too unhealthy. Wait, is this part of food fears too? Not wanting to feed your kids too much sugar and such? 

40 minutes ago, Terah said:

That sounds like an amazing recipe! Going to try that for sure, thanks for sharing :)

I make chocolate milk for my boys a lot: 200 ml almond milk, 1 tbsp coconut sugar and 1 tbsp unsweetened cacao powder. They love it, and I don't feel like a bad mom because it's not too unhealthy. Wait, is this part of food fears too? Not wanting to feed your kids too much sugar and such? 

I don't know the age of your boys, but for anyone interested, here's a wonderful group that deals with pediatric nutrition and food psyche: http://www.feedinglittles.com/ Lots of different kinds of community resources and I think a lot of the issues they touch on are probably translatable for older kids

29 minutes ago, RedStone said:

I don't know the age of your boys, but for anyone interested, here's a wonderful group that deals with pediatric nutrition and food psyche: http://www.feedinglittles.com/ Lots of different kinds of community resources and I think a lot of the issues they touch on are probably translatable for older kids

Thanks for sharing! My kids are a little older (6 and 8), but the blog posts are looking like a great read. 

From when they just started eating I've always stuck to the rule: I decide what they eat, and they decide how much. And all in all I can't complain: they can be fussy about some veggies and about new recipes. But most of the time they are great eaters that know how to listen to their hunger and fullness cues (except when my oldest eats pasta or tomato soup, it looks like we never feed him if you see him eat that :p) 

• Like 2

Oops

Spoiler

I ate all the cheese. 

Overall, though, I’ve been having a really positive experience with IE this week. I really didn’t want more than one sweet at today’s Cub Scout Christmas party, and I’ve been enjoying having restaurant leftovers in the fridge.

Spoiler

The biggest things I need to work on are avoiding too much emotional eating, remembering to approach IE with a beginner mindset, and forgiving myself for small mistakes. I’ll get there!  It really feels like success is possible.

• Like 2

Ok so fear foods. I actually made a list of these earlier in the year when I first read the IE book but it's across the room and I've been on my feet all day so nope xD Besides, it's changed a bit. Most of these things are foods that I have been known to binge with, and am still afraid of them. 

Spoiler

Goldfish crackers

oreos

Club brand crackers (they look like saltines but baked with butter)

salads (I have so much emotional baggage around salads)

pringles

canned frosting

cookie dough

snacks in general

white sugar (ish... I've mostly conquered this food fear at this point. I don't use artificial sweetener anymore, and I've been consuming Splenda since I was a youngun)

Just plain white bread

PopTarts

• Like 1

4 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

Oops

Hide contents

I ate all the cheese. 

Overall, though, I’ve been having a really positive experience with IE this week. I really didn’t want more than one sweet at today’s Cub Scout Christmas party, and I’ve been enjoying having restaurant leftovers in the fridge.

Hide contents

The biggest things I need to work on are avoiding too much emotional eating, remembering to approach IE with a beginner mindset, and forgiving myself for small mistakes. I’ll get there!  It really feels like success is possible.

Sounds really good! All in all, the "mistakes" in this process are not mistakes, but learning opportunities :D The beginner mindset is so important. It sounds like you have a good thing going :)

3 hours ago, TheGreyJedi-Ranger said:

Ok so fear foods. I actually made a list of these earlier in the year when I first read the IE book but it's across the room and I've been on my feet all day so nope xD Besides, it's changed a bit. Most of these things are foods that I have been known to binge with, and am still afraid of them. 

Hide contents

Goldfish crackers

oreos

Club brand crackers (they look like saltines but baked with butter)

salads (I have so much emotional baggage around salads)

pringles

canned frosting

cookie dough

snacks in general

white sugar (ish... I've mostly conquered this food fear at this point. I don't use artificial sweetener anymore, and I've been consuming Splenda since I was a youngun)

Just plain white bread

PopTarts

Across the room is way too far :DD Well done finishing the challenge :)

• Like 3

10 hours ago, suzyQlou said:

all the cheese

In the Netherlands cheese is considered to be part of a healthy diet, full of good stuff. Like broccoli. Or apples. Even the dietician I went to 8 years ago told me to eat it. Seeing it as something someone could binge on feels strange. I feel like this highlights how important your beliefs are around food. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Terah said:

In the Netherlands cheese is considered to be part of a healthy diet, full of good stuff.

I'm pretty sure anyone from France would agree with this :) 

In Sweden it's a bit of both. Some would say it's a perfectly good food to eat, while some would say that it's something you might want to watch your intake of...

But I think we can all agree that it's super tasty :D Yummy

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Terah said:

In the Netherlands cheese is considered to be part of a healthy diet, full of good stuff. Like broccoli. Or apples. Even the dietician I went to 8 years ago told me to eat it. Seeing it as something someone could binge on feels strange. I feel like this highlights how important your beliefs are around food. 

I have never thought about it this way! :o But that's definitely a proof that our beliefs play a huge role. That's why I think it's important to see food as food (stop the food police), nothing more, nothing less, and pick the ones that you like and make you feel good and energetic!

Some progress I've made with compulsive thoughts around exercise (including some of those thoughts, so spoilers):

Spoiler

So I have had this thought nagging in my head, "I should do a strength training workout three times a week and I should go running once or twice". And I haven't thought about them as harmful as the thoughts I have around food, so I haven't really tried to stop them. I've been sick with a cold, so it's been really hard to stay still and let myself rest, because "staying still is bad for your health. Now you're losing all the progress you've made!" and I've had this low-key anxiety going on all the time. So, a few days ago, I told myself, "I don't have to have any fitness goals or rules", and I immediately relaxed. Just like that! And then I started to hear myself a lot better, and I've been much more in tune with my body during these past few days. I've also had some bloating, which is now completely gone. I feel so much better now. I think I have exercised too hard, and doing something lighter would be 1) enough and 2) optimal for me. But I will have to remember that exercise rules can be just as harmful as food rules.

Have you had any issues with over-exercising or having compulsive thoughts around exercise?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ensi said:

Have you had any issues with over-exercising or having compulsive thoughts around exercise?

That's a great win! 

And yes, I definitely have. Everyone tells yoi strength training is the way to go. And I have tried it. I lifted at the gym, I did bodyweight workouts at home, I bought some dumbbells to motivate me to workout at home. But the truth is: I hate it. I don't like working out by myself. I love dancing and zumba and dancehall classes are perfect for me. It doesn't feel like working out. But if I have to skipp a class for one reason or another, I can feel guilty and feel like I have to make it up somehow. 

I do feel like I have let go of this mindset for the most part in the last few months though. I came to the realization that I love yoga too. And even if that isn't "lifting weights" it is good and healthy for ME, because it makes me feel good :)

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Terah said:

That's a great win! 

And yes, I definitely have. Everyone tells yoi strength training is the way to go. And I have tried it. I lifted at the gym, I did bodyweight workouts at home, I bought some dumbbells to motivate me to workout at home. But the truth is: I hate it. I don't like working out by myself. I love dancing and zumba and dancehall classes are perfect for me. It doesn't feel like working out. But if I have to skipp a class for one reason or another, I can feel guilty and feel like I have to make it up somehow. 

I do feel like I have let go of this mindset for the most part in the last few months though. I came to the realization that I love yoga too. And even if that isn't "lifting weights" it is good and healthy for ME, because it makes me feel good :)

Strength training is definitely the thing that I bully myself with the most. I do enjoy kettlebell workouts and doing bodyweight exercises, but it's the pressure I put on myself that kinda ruins it. And it's been hard for me to talk about this, because I haven't really identified it as a problem, and I fear that people are gonna think that I mean "I'm never gonna work out again" :D But as you said, it's better to choose exercise that keeps you healthy and happy! I am gonna work on letting go of the pressure to work out so much. Working out is good for me, but stressing about it is not... Thanks for your insight, it gave me some support to keep working on this :)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ensi said:

This used to be a major issue for me- compulsive thoughts not over exercising. I actually basically quit exercising for a while because I needed to focus on IE. And I've done it several times. I love zumba, I love lifting heavy things, and I love some bodyweight movements. But I feel obligated to do things like run (I physically can't- my asthma doesn't really allow it outside and treadmills are boring) and learn to do pushups. The other issue is that I'd freak out when I'd (obviously) need to eat more while exercising. I restricted really badly, which doesn't work well for lifting heavy things. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Ensi said:

I fear that people are gonna think that I mean "I'm never gonna work out again"

For me the problem is that I think like this of myself. As soon as I start sliding away from my workout plan it goes downhill really fast and before I know it I haven't moved my body in three months or more :( (This is a fact - my fitness tracker is proof of that!) 

For you, if you think that other people will think that you will never work out again, but you yourself know that isn't true then I don't see the problem. I mean, even if they start thinking you will not move - as soon as you do (as you know yourself you will) you'll prove them wrong!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Terah said:

I came to the realization that I love yoga too

That's great! Yoga seems awesome! 

I wanted to write "yoga is awesome", but since I haven't tried it myself I don't really know if that's true or not. But it seems awesome! And it's definitely something I want to try sometime.

3 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

And it's definitely something I want to try sometime.

You should! It's not for everyone, some find it boring, but I love the feeling of stretching my body and "nailing" a pose :D

I have surprised myself quite a few times during yoga, I think that helps too ;)

• Like 1