• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

iatetheyeti

iatetheyeti: structured chaos

36 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Ten months seems like such a long way away...

Well there is may to look forward too, and then slightly later in May. I'm determined to arrange a non-race get together when you come down for the Super. Everyone is well within an hour of London so it shouldn't be too hard to get everyone together. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

Well there is may to look forward too, and then slightly later in May. I'm determined to arrange a non-race get together when you come down for the Super. Everyone is well within an hour of London so it shouldn't be too hard to get everyone together. 

May feels so far away too! I'm most definitely up for a non-race get together too, and thankfully that will be one of those occasions I can be very flexible because I won't have to rush back to work, so that should make it a little easier as well, I'd think.

• Like 1

Week One, Day Two

I wasn't going to, but I figured it's better to keep myself in the habit. I am very glad I pushed back the start of this challenge given how my current work streak ended. Surprise visits from the area manager are not so much fun, especially not when you're flying solo. I got frazzled. And then I left work and had to make an actual phone call like an actual competent adult person, so I'm shot. Nine minutes on hold and three minutes of actual conversation and I am wiped out.

Plan for tonight is to chill, feed, and set myself up for success tomorrow.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

May feels so far away too! I'm most definitely up for a non-race get together too, and thankfully that will be one of those occasions I can be very flexible because I won't have to rush back to work, so that should make it a little easier as well, I'd think.

Considering, I've set myself up to try and do a 55k OCR in May, it can take it's time in getting here :lol: I really wish we could get you down more often and especially for Christmas but it is what it is but we'll arrange something nice for the next time you are here. 

I hope you managed to chill okay overnight and I hope you have a successful today! 

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 4:06 PM, jonfirestar said:

I'm sure I'll be able to make it along for that. 

• Like 1

Week One, Day Three

Very tired today. Mentally/emotionally more than physically. Over the past couple of weeks I've had a series of fairly major wake-up calls, and this morning I got another. It kind of takes it out of you... On one level I'm actually kind of grateful because if not for these wake-up calls I'd likely go on believing I'm doing a good job a coping with everything. On another level I'm kind of peeved, I know things are bad and I don't need people pointing out yet another thing I'm failing at. That's a lot of fun to have rolling about in your head. I guess on the plus side, even with the anger and frustration that may or may not be justified, it's at least a guideline of sorts. Maybe.

Dailies:

• Junk: No junk in the flat, and I have not left the flat today
  • Veggies: Will be complete when I've finished cooking and eating dinner
  • Water: No, and I probably won't hit this target today either
  • Tracking: Not yet
  • Tidy: Above and beyond my original daily goal. I've made the decision that a MAJOR clearout is need and am being appropriately brutal with my empire of crap
  • Clean: Done, done, and done
  • Organise: This went hand in hand with my tidying today. I completely reorganised my books (I have a great many and will be getting rid of approximately none, but at least they now occupy shelves rather than being piled up on the floor), went through the entirety of my legal/otherwise essential documents, and went through all of my bike and general tools so that they now occupy only one box instead of a general kind of everywhere
  • Me-time: Will happen after dinner
  • SAD protocols: Well, so far I haven't left the flat and now it's night, I still don't have any vitamin D, and last night I was so tired I went to bed and actually went to sleep. That never happens

Physio was done, as was a short bodyweight workout. I did also overhead press a small armchair in order to get it through an awkward doorway, which I likely shouldn't have done despite it being an easy to handle weight. My shoulder did not complain, and despite a fairly intense day of blitzing the place still hasn't complained. I'm taking this as a good thing. I haven't had a complaint from it in a good while despite the progressive increase of activity at work. Maybe because of that progressive increase? Either way, I've gone from being settled into doing my physio and taking it slow to being highly impatient to get back to doing not that.

Plan for tonight is to feast, spend some time reading, and then get an earlyish night. I'm working an opening shift tomorrow so I have no doubt the tiredness I feel now will be multiplied when my 4am alarm goes off... But on the plus side It does mean I have the whole afternoon to myself. I mean to continue my household purge, go for a run, and try to figure out a plan for the next eight days of work.

• Like 1

Week One, Day Four

Just a short one because I don't think I've actually hit any of my goals today (aside from having plenty of veggies). I woke up feeling awful (mentally), I went through work with that feeling only increasing with every little dig from the CO, and I have to say, the grey skies and torrential rain didn't help any.

But.

I don't feel like that now. Quite the opposite. Never underestimate the power of a drastic haircut. While I may not get much done tonight, I do have confidence that things will be a little easier tomorrow.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iatetheyeti said:

I don't feel like that now. Quite the opposite. Never underestimate the power of a drastic haircut. While I may not get much done tonight, I do have confidence that things will be a little easier tomorrow.

Sooo, how drastic are we talking? 

I don't know if this is helpful, but from everything I have seen you do an amazing job dealing with a mountain of stress and overwork.  If you aren't coping as well as you'd like it is because of the epic nature of your workload, not because of you.  Evidence you can kick stress's ass:

2 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

I can't wait to hear about it! (maybe a photo?)

35 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I don't know if this is helpful, but from everything I have seen you do an amazing job dealing with a mountain of stress and overwork.  If you aren't coping as well as you'd like it is because of the epic nature of your workload, not because of you.  Evidence you can kick stress's ass:

I try, but whether or not I feel I'm successful varies wildly depending on just about anything. Whether or not I'm actually successful, well, I think I must be more often than not, otherwise I'd have been snowed under a long time ago. It'd be nice if I could recognise it some more though.

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Sooo, how drastic are we talking? 

39 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I can't wait to hear about it! (maybe a photo?)

Alright. Well. In August my hair reached my lower back easily enough. Now the longest part is roughly two inches, give or take. So not quite the full Britney move that I've been joking about doing, but pretty close, enough so that my mother would weep should she see it. It wasn't actually what I intended on when I started it, but my hair is fantastically unruly and gets more so the shorter it gets, so I figured taking it right down and working with it as it grew out would be a lot easier than fighting with it. I'm actually pretty happy with the result, but it feels bizarre. I have never had my hair this short. Ever. It kind of feels like part of my head is missing, and I'm suddenly very worried about my ears getting cold.

...but there will be no photos until I'm happy that it's finished. So... maybe January? :lol:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Alright. Well. In August my hair reached my lower back easily enough. Now the longest part is roughly two inches, give or take. So not quite the full Britney move that I've been joking about doing, but pretty close, enough so that my mother would weep should she see it.

I'm almost disappointed :P you know where my vote is on how to finish it! 

I think the about 2 inches at the longest will still suit you really well even if I'm forced to picture it in my head. 

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2018 at 3:44 PM, iatetheyeti said:

In light of that I have written a note to myself to remember to do a workout tomorrow. Basically whenever I get stressed and tired I have no memory function whatsoever (to go along with having no sense of time...). The trick is remembering to write the notes, and that's why actually being present here and updating daily helps me. I blather on, then I remember something. I blather some more, I remember something else.

Have you seen Memento? (Definitely just kidding!!!)

image.png.6b54f91359d6d8aa217100c91d844a68.png

9 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Week One, Day Four

Just a short one because I don't think I've actually hit any of my goals today (aside from having plenty of veggies). I woke up feeling awful (mentally), I went through work with that feeling only increasing with every little dig from the CO, and I have to say, the grey skies and torrential rain didn't help any.

But.

I wasn't surprised you felt crappy. You were tired the night before and had to open. It's completely reasonable.

But I am happy for you about the drastic haircut!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm almost disappointed :P you know where my vote is on how to finish it! 

I think the about 2 inches at the longest will still suit you really well even if I'm forced to picture it in my head. 

If I go full Britney then you'll be the first to know, I promise!

I honestly won't know if it suits me until I adjust to it. It's still a funny kind of novelty at the moment, especially the bit right at the front that just sticks up and refuses to go in any other direction (not so much the bit at the back that does the exact same thing though!).

17 hours ago, Xena said:

Have you seen Memento? (Definitely just kidding!!!)

image.png.6b54f91359d6d8aa217100c91d844a68.png

I wasn't surprised you felt crappy. You were tired the night before and had to open. It's completely reasonable.

But I am happy for you about the drastic haircut!

Heh, well, that's one way of doing it!

Unfortunately tired is my default right now, but I'm taking steps to try and get my sleeping habits fixed. 

• Like 2

Week One, Day Five

Someone told me it was Wednesday and I believed them up until about mid afternoon because I am a clever cookie.

I also got out of bed this morning and about had a heart attack because I thought someone had broken into my flat. They hadn't. It was my reflection. I actually did not recognise myself in the mirror. Once I'd done swearing I did actually find it pretty funny. It's strange, and I'm still adjusting to having virtually no hair, plus I can't stop stroking the back of my head because it is just so soft there, but it's a major mark of just how far I've come and how much I've recovered in terms of things like self confidence and esteem. I would never, never have been brave enough to do this even just last year. Now? Absolutely. Hand me the clippers and off we go. And I feel much better about myself. I never liked having long hair, I just did it because it was expected and because I was worried about what people would say if I went and did exactly what I just did. Now I'm at the point where I actually got disappointed that no one at work realised I'd done it (but then, a hat is a required part of my uniform, so...).

Dailies:

• Junk: I did have a cookie at work. We got in a new seasonal flavour (white chocolate and ginger) and there was a packet for everyone to try so we could better advise customers. I considered not having one, then I went ahead and took one and paid attention to how I reacted after. Last month I'd have devoured the whole packet. Today I felt no urge to despite that cookie being one of the best things I've eaten in a while. So... a little sacrifice in order to recognise that I actually have made progress, maybe?
  • Veggies: Done
  • Water: Not good today, I am very dehydrated and have a headache because of it
  • Tracking: I'm going to need to set a reminder or an alarm on my phone for this
  • Tidy: Done
  • Clean: The entire bathroom after I made such a mess of it using it as a makeshift hair salon yesterday...
  • Organise: Yep
  • Me-time: About to commence
  • SAD protocols: I need to get better at these considering how hard I'm being hit right now

Physio was done and an adapted workout was done at work. I was going to speak about something else, but I can't remember what for the life of me.

Tonight's plan is to be in bed at 10pm tonight so I can be up at a reasonable time tomorrow to walk in to work. Then assuming I don't drown (the amount of rain we've had means even the burn running down the side of my street resembles the Etive), I suffer through work and then walk home.

11 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

If I go full Britney then you'll be the first to know, I promise!

And a blow by blow account of when you burst onto the scene at a family function fabulous and badass ;) 

14 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

I honestly won't know if it suits me until I adjust to it. It's still a funny kind of novelty at the moment, especially the bit right at the front that just sticks up and refuses to go in any other direction (not so much the bit at the back that does the exact same thing though!).

I get that it's a work in progress but in my minds eye really short hair suits you! 

3 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

. It's strange, and I'm still adjusting to having virtually no hair, plus I can't stop stroking the back of my head because it is just so soft there, but it's a major mark of just how far I've come and how much I've recovered in terms of things like self confidence and esteem.

This made me really happy to read. Most of the time it is ourselves that hold us back. You do with your hair what makes you happy. It's your hair. Screw expectations. Especially the expectations of anyone who doesn't accept you for being you. You are a strong and outstanding woman. You rock Yeti! 

Oh that came out quite impassioned :) I mean it and it goes for more than just hair. That might go without saying. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

And a blow by blow account of when you burst onto the scene at a family function fabulous and badass ;) 

...I may just film it!

I get that it's a work in progress but in my minds eye really short hair suits you! 

This made me really happy to read. Most of the time it is ourselves that hold us back. You do with your hair what makes you happy. It's your hair. Screw expectations. Especially the expectations of anyone who doesn't accept you for being you. You are a strong and outstanding woman. You rock Yeti! 

Oh that came out quite impassioned :) I mean it and it goes for more than just hair. That might go without saying. 

It's taken a good long while to get to this point, but I'm glad I've finally got here. Thank you :) 

• Like 1

Week One, Day Six

I think we can safely say I've done my cardio for today:

Spoiler

gp0GnqD73x1LnKuhbWjYWFwMkHmxV5ivmsu6jxqgdFFVXmstCzDttPbz_6_vzOuRqJWqvZTqOiJhm4bqIiR1KAZZYm8Z_pMJVW_6h_gQx9H34fMhkjdDOzG-KW7en_L_ByFEqdr3_MRtp_UNsEz18MCs7weeeEQGwBf29n9dOGrtt9K8RJVQcLMUme170FXISrT9cA2H-sSOq8oSHvVvR3r9S-tqXPZVcVmOZZipmGe4RTvGdznVtyEz7clftq47omfY-aLbCFuTyRpqy5-sh4UgBk-UHtUFNUw9HqGPeFzdfQxya0gGoDB0r6hO3inWRMtGjfDLFPgSDz_xe1thy2f_R3w6J7qVNt4Ewe33DCxletnpINA0Q1VPmEgfTYBHTSKetB-IWh47lcvpjYCYO_nxBpHEeIXoRLK7OEARb4bxEN3NdDTKgcZs8mJDMFkhKNfaFQ_1KzwOgN4e4pRhqH4RseGA2L9-FyhSt12j1DH1NiOrNb-tASGSxeN897o_EIrPxO30brRmOeaodowfpQ-9griMp66nAio59no-xssREde9LX4YrHlKZOHCoUNVcEy9kCMklSar4EqyRy-KWkXdPMGeDIC-ci8osbVPbn4pUFaoarTe1i48I5ao0hMftr-YVArrSmY3N9kgLPv_vXCk=w370-h657-no

Dailies

• Junk: None consumed. there was free apple pie in the staff canteen today, and I'm quite pleased to say I avoided it with relative ease
  • Veggies: Yep. I even had lunch prepped for work today, which included a whole head of broccoli
  • Water: Definitely
  • Tracking: ...no
  • Tidy: No, should have done it this morning
  • Clean: As above
  • Organise: As above
  • Me-time: I'm giving myself an hour before going to bed
  • SAD protocols: Well, I did just spend almost four hours walking! No vitamin D yet, and I did remember to do some meditation before bed last night

I'm kind of exhausted. And, although it's a very small thing, I'm kind of proud of the fact that I walked to work in one hour and forty five minutes when I was fresh and energetic this morning, then after seven hours at work running around like a headless chicken I was able to match that time on the way home, almost to the minute, despite being far more tired. That's my little achievement for the day, I think. I did also achieve two blisters, one on each little toe. Guess that means they're going to need taping up tomorrow too...

Plan for tonight is to go to bed as soon as possible. I've just downed a much needed recovery shake, so I reckon it should be an hour or so as it's just liquid. I had a walking dinner (I've basically been adopted by one of my deli co-workers and she feeds me so much chicken it's unbelievable) and can't actually face any more solid food tonight. What I do need to remember is to eat a bigger meal before leaving tomorrow.

• Like 1

:blink:

That's impressive stats right there! 

I'm working towards that being my new normal, so to speak. It saves money, it gives me a massive mood boost, and there might be a fitness benefit or two as well.

• Like 1

I couldn't see the image or whatever was behind the spoilers, but the description of your walking journey was pretty impressive!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

I'm working towards that being my new normal, so to speak. It saves money, it gives me a massive mood boost, and there might be a fitness benefit or two as well.

heh, I did a 25k run today and your step count was still higher than mine! Total badass :D That is indeed a really good way to sneak in some exercise along with all of the other mental, physical and financial health benefits that go along with it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xena said:

I couldn't see the image or whatever was behind the spoilers, but the description of your walking journey was pretty impressive!

It was just a FitBit screenshot showing off my 38,000+ steps (which I feel is definitely a little impressive!).

28 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

heh, I did a 25k run today and your step count was still higher than mine! Total badass :D That is indeed a really good way to sneak in some exercise along with all of the other mental, physical and financial health benefits that go along with it. 

Seriously? :lol: You know the best bit? Walking only takes fifteen minutes longer than if I went by bus...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, iatetheyeti said:

Seriously? :lol: You know the best bit? Walking only takes fifteen minutes longer than if I went by bus...

Seriously :lol:

qJmEYsX.jpg

That's a 25k run and some serious house work! If it is only taking a few minutes more than taking the bus it's a no brainer to do that walk! If your bus commute costs anything close to mine it's easily worth that extra 15 minutes on the finances alone (let alone all the other benefits).

• Like 1

Week One Summary

Not bad, not great, somewhere in the middle. And that's ok. I may not have smashed any challenge goals, but I hit a major life goal and had some happy realisations along the way. It's made me feel a lot better about everything that's been weighing me down, too.

Goal One: Physio

This one has been just fine.

Goal Two: Structure, Structure, Structure

Half and half with this one. I've been doing the workout and rest day parts, but not the running.

Corrective action: For next week we're going to do a little blackmail. My run days and Tuesday and Thursday. The only two morning shifts I have next week are... Tuesday and Thursday. Because of course they are. So. I get up at 3:45am instead of 4am, I go for a run before work (a short run), and then I get the bus to work.

Goal Three: Food Stuff

Another hit and miss one. Tracking is my major issues here, mainly because I just forget. I have had a couple of junk incidents also, but considering one consisted of a single cookie and one consisted of some chocolate soy milk, each with no desire or effort made to consume more, I'd say it's not been so bad.

Corrective action: Reminder set in phone to track food intake. This is vital, especially on my walking commute days. On those days I burn over 1000 more calories than I do in an average day, so I need to ensure I'm putting enough fuel back in the tank to function properly.

Goal Four: The Unfuckening

It's been ok. I've done something most days, but the effort has been very half-hearted. I need to actually get my shit together and do this properly.

Overall it's a better start than I expected, all things considered, but there is definite room for improvement and that's exactly what I intend to do. I've got a rough plan for next week. The first half takes in the latter half of my current eight day streak, but then I get two full days off and intend to take full advantage. Next week we also get our new start in the bakery, so things at work are going to take an interesting twist that I need to be prepared to deal with.

8 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Seriously :lol:

qJmEYsX.jpg

That's a 25k run and some serious house work! If it is only taking a few minutes more than taking the bus it's a no brainer to do that walk! If your bus commute costs anything close to mine it's easily worth that extra 15 minutes on the finances alone (let alone all the other benefits).

:lol:

It's even better considering I mostly walk along the bus route these days (less drivers trying to run me over there)... But yeah, the cost of a bus commute is pretty bad, which is why I'm slowly making the transfer to only walking/cycling to work. Plus the Legs of Steel benefit!

• Like 1