• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Grumble

Grumble gains inVOWELuable knowledge

Recommended Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgC-FCZ9B-w

 

I don't even know how it got started, but a person accused me of using too many vowels (we were not friends, I had just met her at a bday party and she did not understand my sense of humor), I think it was because I was alliterating sentences to the delight of small children and the annoyance of their parents. In that theme, I am going to associate all of my goals with a vowel.
 

A- Accelerate

I still need to get faster, so to do that I will be incorporating tempo and interval running to replace one of my shorter distance days. If I make the distance, then great, if I don't then oh well.

The Fonz Happy Days GIF - TheFonz HappyDays GIFs

 

E - Elevate

This last 10k trail run proved I need to do more than just run on the streets. SO I will be adding more trail running as well as hill work. This will also replace a shorter run day.

Obvi GIF - Brooklyn99 Cocky Confident GIFs
 

I - Implement

I have a bunch of unfinished projects at home, the burning project I made for my wife still isn't stained and mounted, a raspberry pi calendar still isn't finished (had some driver issues and got distracted), and my garage is still a mess. I will be tackling these in order of effort, so the plan is to have the burning finished by end of week one, calendar by end of week 2, and spend the next two weeks finishing the garage. I've made big efforts (Year of Clean, not forgotten, just not hyped), but I still have a ways to go.

Lotr Begin GIF - Lotr Begin Rain GIFs
 

O - Ohmmmmm

I talked last challenge about working on my headspace, and the little bit of mindful meditation has really helped. To that end I will be using the Headspace alexa app, anything more than 10 minutes a day doesn't really fill me with excitement, but 10 minutes of focusing on focusing is something I can do daily. 

Rafiki GIF - Rafiki Meditation TheLionKing GIFs
 


U - Unplug

I got called out by my wife for being on my phone too much. So I will work on that. At 8:30pm, if I am home, I will take my phone to the bedroom and plug it in. If I don't maintain this after two weeks, I will install an app that locks my phone down except for phone calls and text messages. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Wondering IWonder What Would Happen GIF - Wondering IWonderWhatWouldHappen Die GIFs
 
 
A: [][][][]
E: [][][][]
I: [][][]
O: [][][][][][][]x4
U: [][][][][][][]x4
 
 
I don't do sometimes vowels. Make up your damn mind y.
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Grumble said:

U - Unplug

I got called out by my wife for being on my phone too much. So I will work on that. At 8:30pm, if I am home, I will take my phone to the bedroom and plug it in. If I don't maintain this after two weeks, I will install an app that locks my phone down except for phone calls and text messages. Any recommendations are appreciated.

 

I have a plan... but you will need a hammer...

 

Capture.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Blocky said:

 

I have a plan... but you will need a hammer...

 

Capture.png

 

I'm looking for something with a little less... impetus.

 

But thanks.

 

Kristen Bell GIF - Wink FingerGun VeronicaMars GIFs
 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Grumble said:

U - Unplug

I got called out by my wife for being on my phone too much. So I will work on that. At 8:30pm, if I am home, I will take my phone to the bedroom and plug it in. If I don't maintain this after two weeks, I will install an app that locks my phone down except for phone calls and text messages.

You could always look into the default parental controls. 

 

On thing, rather than omitting the behavior (the phone), try replacing it with something else, replacements tend to work better than just quitting something (e.g. instead of "quitting smoking" take up an activity). Also, what do you tend to use the phone for anyway? If it just time killing, task/spouse avoidance?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Grumble said:

U - Unplug

I got called out by my wife for being on my phone too much. So I will work on that. At 8:30pm, if I am home, I will take my phone to the bedroom and plug it in. If I don't maintain this after two weeks, I will install an app that locks my phone down except for phone calls and text messages. Any recommendations are appreciated. 

 

I recommend not using an app to make yourself not do stuff. Just my two cents, but I don't think those lockdown apps lead to changes in behaviour; they just prevent the misbehaviour for a short while. It's like if you put a fence around a cookie jar, kids will just hop the fence or wait until it opens and devour all the cookies. Teach them to moderate their cookie consumption instead.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, calanthrophy said:

Teach them to moderate their cookie consumption instead

giphy.gif

 

Silly...we can't expect to teach children/people RESPONSIBILITY! How ever could they claim to be victims if they responsibility is THEIRS! 

 

(Seriously though, I hate my phone/social media/things. I try to use electronics as rewards and tools, like I cleaned the whole house...I can play some diablo 3 for an hour....okay a week)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, farflight said:

You could always look into the default parental controls. 

 

On thing, rather than omitting the behavior (the phone), try replacing it with something else, replacements tend to work better than just quitting something (e.g. instead of "quitting smoking" take up an activity). Also, what do you tend to use the phone for anyway? If it just time killing, task/spouse avoidance?

It's just a time waster at the end of the day. We're watching tv and just vegging. But it also precludes conversation because i'm buried in my phone. And cuddling, which annoys my wife.

 

46 minutes ago, calanthrophy said:

 

I recommend not using an app to make yourself not do stuff. Just my two cents, but I don't think those lockdown apps lead to changes in behaviour; they just prevent the misbehaviour for a short while. It's like if you put a fence around a cookie jar, kids will just hop the fence or wait until it opens and devour all the cookies. Teach them to moderate their cookie consumption instead.

Normally agreed, but I'm one of those people that if I don't have the toy to play with, I tend to play with it less overall. I use it because it's there. Unlike food. The less I have the more I want. GIVE ME ALL THE FOOD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Grumble said:
1 hour ago, farflight said:

 

It's just a time waster at the end of the day. We're watching tv and just vegging.

 

Behaviorally speaking, that makes it sound like "watching tv and just vegging" isn't something you want to do. If it was something you wanted, you'd be partaking in the experience (unless its like a young child, TV on in living room, kid in another room but gets mad when TV gets changed).

 

Maybe try to do...*cough* other activities with the wife? Watching TV is kind of a 'side by side' playing. Yea, your 'together' but not really being intimate unless you're BOTH using the TV as a tool for engagement (e.g. talking about experience/thoughts after show is over). 

 

Thoughts for consideration:

1) What would Grumble rather be doing than watching TV at the end of the day (and the phone is NOT an applicable answer here)

2) Whatever the answer to #1 is, could Grumble invite Mrs. Grumble to join in

3) Could the Grumbles sit in a room together just visiting instead of TV

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i also get mad at spouse when we're watching tv together and they're on their phone lol i like to enjoy that half hour to an hour of side by side playing. i usually just leave my phone in another room for that short period of time.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, farflight said:

 

Behaviorally speaking, that makes it sound like "watching tv and just vegging" isn't something you want to do. If it was something you wanted, you'd be partaking in the experience (unless its like a young child, TV on in living room, kid in another room but gets mad when TV gets changed).

TV is mostly just background for me, and if I'm not on the phone I'm most often engaged with Mrs Grumble. Occaionally I'll watch the show thats on, but tv is much more the wife's thing than mine.

 

Note: TV doesn't come on until after grimble goes to bed. During the week at least. No tv on a school night.

 

12 minutes ago, farflight said:

Maybe try to do...*cough* other activities with the wife?

Oh, don't worry about those. There's enough "activity time" that it's not an issue. I just want to be on my phone less.

 

12 minutes ago, farflight said:

Watching TV is kind of a 'side by side' playing. Yea, your 'together' but not really being intimate unless you're BOTH using the TV as a tool for engagement (e.g. talking about experience/thoughts after show is over). 

 

Thoughts for consideration:

1) What would Grumble rather be doing than watching TV at the end of the day (and the phone is NOT an applicable answer here)

2) Whatever the answer to #1 is, could Grumble invite Mrs. Grumble to join in

3) Could the Grumbles sit in a room together just visiting instead of TV

Grumble would like to be playing video games with Mrs Grumble, but we have very different opinions about how much fun that is.

 

It's what happens when a Gamer marries a NonGamer. You'd think after 7 years we'd have figured it out, but like any good relationship, it's an ever evolving thing.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just reading about your hill runs makes me feel tired. Surely you will have all the fitness soon. 

 

8 hours ago, Grumble said:

Grumble would like to be playing video games with Mrs Grumble, but we have very different opinions about how much fun that is.

 

It's what happens when a Gamer marries a NonGamer. You'd think after 7 years we'd have figured it out, but like any good relationship, it's an ever evolving thing.

 

The few times I accidentally let Mr Harriet see my video games, he was shocked at how violent they are. I felt slightly ashamed, because I know they're violent and morally corrupt, but I love them, and so now I hide them. It's never occurred to me to ask him to play with me.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 1:52 PM, Grumble said:

SO I will be adding more trail running as well as hill work.

If you haven't done much hill training in the past you'll find this can make a HUGE difference. When you make an effort to work in hill training you suddenly realize how much stronger your run feels on flat courses or the random small hill you used to think was work.  Definitely a good idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i also get mad at spouse when we're watching tv together and they're on their phone lol i like to enjoy that half hour to an hour of side by side playing. i usually just leave my phone in another room for that short period of time.

Sorry I missed this earlier. She does the same, but I can't get annoyed until i fix myself. 

 

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

Just reading about your hill runs makes me feel tired. Surely you will have all the fitness soon. 

That's my goal. Just wait til you see what I have in store after my marathon is complete.

 

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

 

The few times I accidentally let Mr Harriet see my video games, he was shocked at how violent they are. I felt slightly ashamed, because I know they're violent and morally corrupt, but I love them, and so now I hide them. It's never occurred to me to ask him to play with me.

Mrs Grumble isn't shocked by my games content, she doesn't find the appeal in them. I'm still working on getting her more involved.

 

1 hour ago, Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf said:

If you haven't done much hill training in the past you'll find this can make a HUGE difference. When you make an effort to work in hill training you suddenly realize how much stronger your run feels on flat courses or the random small hill you used to think was work.  Definitely a good idea.

I haven't done hill training, but I'm curious to see how it pans out. Does once a week work or should I do something like alternating between speed work one week and hill work the next? You're thoughts are greatly appreciate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd say just set a timer for 8:30 and plug it in like you're planning to. I also do much better not just scrolling on my phone if it's just not in the room with me. 

 

YAAAA HILL RUNS! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Does once a week work or should I do something like alternating between speed work one week and hill work the next?

I'd start with once a week and see how you feel doing that. Doing the hill work will help with your speed somewhat and endurance a lot simply because your running muscle is stronger.  But it will not help with your cadence / turnover whatever you want to call it, which is a big part of speed work. So the hills will really help you on your hilly races or longer races, but they won't be as useful to make you really fast in shorter races.

If you are trying to train for a race and you know it is almost certainly going to be flat, I'd probably stick with the once a week for hill work to help on the endurance and then do your normal thing the rest of the time.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, raptron said:

I'd say just set a timer for 8:30 and plug it in like you're planning to. I also do much better not just scrolling on my phone if it's just not in the room with me. 

That would be interesting. See if I can't pavlov it a bit if I make it a timer on our echo that Mrs G hears too.

 

3 minutes ago, raptron said:

YAAAA HILL RUNS! 

You do these monsters too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf said:

I'd start with once a week and see how you feel doing that. Doing the hill work will help with your speed somewhat and endurance a lot simply because your running muscle is stronger.  But it will not help with your cadence / turnover whatever you want to call it, which is a big part of speed work. So the hills will really help you on your hilly races or longer races, but they won't be as useful to make you really fast in shorter races.

If you are trying to train for a race and you know it is almost certainly going to be flat, I'd probably stick with the once a week for hill work to help on the endurance and then do your normal thing the rest of the time.   

 

https://www.lamarathon.com/event-info/the-course/course-map

 

Course Route Elevation Chart

 

Not a ton of elevation, but enough I want to be ready for it. The grand goal is 26.2 miles. So I want that endurance more than speed. I think. 

 

Please note I will be using your running knowledge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2018 at 7:52 PM, Grumble said:

E - Elevate

This last 10k trail run proved I need to do more than just run on the streets. SO I will be adding more trail running as well as hill work. This will also replace a shorter run day.

Obvi GIF - Brooklyn99 Cocky Confident GIFs

 

Only good things can happen when you channel the spirit of Gina Linetti. 

 

3b278805dbf5809c513e719ad02ab93d425a0323

 

You got this. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Grumble said:

Please note I will be using your running knowledge.

Lol well hopefully some of it is useful.

 

If you are focused more on endurance than speed I'd definitely recommend some hill work then.  You'll be glad you did it once your 2/3rd the way into that race and wondering what you got yourself into lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now