• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grumble

Grumble gains inVOWELuable knowledge

On 11/21/2018 at 4:37 PM, Gemma said:

Love all of this. Will you post pics of the finished burning? I'd love to see it! 

Absolutely. 

On 11/21/2018 at 6:41 PM, MikeW said:

One: love the creative theme.

Two: someone else unplugging this challenge!

Encouraged Mrs G to help me keep on track if I fall off. She seemed very enthusiastic.

On 11/22/2018 at 7:37 AM, Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf said:

Lol well hopefully some of it is useful.

If you are focused more on endurance than speed I'd definitely recommend some hill work then.  You'll be glad you did it once your 2/3rd the way into that race and wondering what you got yourself into lol

Indubitably. I did my first hill 5k run that started and ended with a hill that had almost 100 ft elevation in less than a quarter of a mile. I'm going to run it again for the next few weeks at least once a week.

So beings our new challenge.

Gotta Go Fast GIF - Lizard Worm GottaGoFast GIFs
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I was going to workout yesterday, but work got in the way. Turns out being part of IT in a major merger and a major facility upgrade makes for long days in the last days of the year. Who knew.

Accelerate: 0/1

Elevate: 0/1 But I'm planning to do it today.

Star Wars IHave The High Ground GIF - StarWars IHaveTheHighGround GIFs

Implement: 0/1 Mostly because christmas threw up in my garage.

No automatic alt text available.No automatic alt text available.

Ohmmmmm: 1/7 I did not headspace yesterday, but I did take a 26 minute nap. So I'm counting that because it felt so good.

Joey Ross GIF - Joey Ross Nap GIFs

Unplug: 1/7 I was about 15 minutes late yesterday, but I was also setting up christmas in the house. And it looks so pretty.

Image may contain: christmas tree and plant
  • Like 6

45 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Christmas!!!! I see you sneaking the adorable tree skirt in too

Who said anything about sneaking?

23 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Ah, I see the Christmas is strong in your family as well. (I swear half the boxes we moved last weekend getting my bro settled into their new digs was Christmas decor.)

giphy.gif

1) I have added every year. I will continue to do so.

2) I visited that house over the weekend. I contemplated seeing if they could adopt me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Are we just going to let it pass that your garage has hardwood flooring?

There's a reason we don't park the cars in there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i didn't even notice that! is that a thing? like nips?

Not that I am aware of. 

TBF, I did not do this myself, the previous owners did and I like it enough to keep it and turn it into my office.

• Like 1

I have a new alarm clock. My 14 yr old cat has decided she is going to wake me up when I turn the alarm off and roll back over. It's probably for the best. So I pet her and let her continue, maybe we can make this a new thing.

Accelerate: 0/1 

Elevate: 1/1 

I don't know if I was extra phlegmy or what, but this run sucked extra hard and I had trouble breathing. Almost 10 seconds slower pace than this same route last week. I think next week I'm going to move this to later in the week see if it makes a difference.

RUN

15:48, Tuesday November 27, 2018
2.77 mi
26:45 mins
9'38" pace
157 bpm
514 cals

Implement: 0/1 

Cleaned the area up last night by getting some of the christmas stuff put up and boxes put back away. Now I can get to my desk. Today will get some of the outside lights up and then I'll have enough room to work comfortably. I think all I have left to do is seal it. Just need to find a seal I can do on Friday when I'm off.

Ohmmmmm: 2/7 

Did a 3 min meditation... and fell asleep. Don't know if this counts as a win or if I'm just tired. 

Unplug: 2/7 

Plugged my phone in at 9:15. Because I was putting up christmas stuff and the wife was shopping. I'm past my time, but I *think* that counts, esp since I put it away as soon as I came back inside. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Grumble said:

I have a new alarm clock. My 14 yr old cat has decided she is going to wake me up when I turn the alarm off and roll back over. It's probably for the best. So I pet her and let her continue, maybe we can make this a new thing.

Sweet. I miss my cats (they're staying with a friend while we're in the USA) but they're not allowed in the bedroom. It's the one fur-free room. One time when Mr Harriet was away I let them sleep with me but they were too excited and spent the whole night making trouble. They also left large tufts of fluff everywhere. 

6 hours ago, Grumble said:

Elevate: 1/1 

I don't know if I was extra phlegmy or what, but this run sucked extra hard and I had trouble breathing. Almost 10 seconds slower pace than this same route last week. I think next week I'm going to move this to later in the week see if it makes a difference.

Me too, sort of. I did my cardio thing today for the first time in a couple of weeks, and it was hard. I never feel like I make any progress with cardio. It's just hard and sucky every time, which may have something to do with frequent minor colds. Unsure how to break past the initial barrier of suck and become the fit person who is fit.

37 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Sweet. I miss my cats (they're staying with a friend while we're in the USA) but they're not allowed in the bedroom. It's the one fur-free room. One time when Mr Harriet was away I let them sleep with me but they were too excited and spent the whole night making trouble. They also left large tufts of fluff everywhere. 

1. That's adorable. 2. I inherited the cats and decided trying to reteach them wasn't worth it. 3. There is no way i'm going to let the "while we're in the usa" slide without an attached story.

37 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Me too, sort of. I did my cardio thing today for the first time in a couple of weeks, and it was hard. I never feel like I make any progress with cardio. It's just hard and sucky every time, which may have something to do with frequent minor colds. Unsure how to break past the initial barrier of suck and become the fit person who is fit.

For whatever reason, we seem to give up on the aspects of training when it comes to cardio. Are you tracking it? Are you doing anything to improve other than just "running"? Are you working on form and technique? This should all be the same things you do when lifting. Even if you do it occasionally, you should be looking for ways to improve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

1. That's adorable. 2. I inherited the cats and decided trying to reteach them wasn't worth it. 3. There is no way i'm going to let the "while we're in the usa" slide without an attached story.

For whatever reason, we seem to give up on the aspects of training when it comes to cardio. Are you tracking it? Are you doing anything to improve other than just "running"? Are you working on form and technique? This should all be the same things you do when lifting. Even if you do it occasionally, you should be looking for ways to improve.

Well, Mr Harriet got a research fellowship at a University here. So we packed our things, reluctantly gave our cats to a friend, and flew to the USA, trying to banish the memory of distressed mewling by little-big cat during the drive, and her refusal to alight from the safety of the cat tree in the new apartment--for several hours. Happily, big-big cat enjoyed exploring the new apartment. But we miss her extreme cuddles and hyper-purring. Little-big cat used to sit on the back of my computer chair like a heavy fur stole, tail draped over one shoulder, sometimes chewing my hair. Big-big cat used to lay on top of me if I napped on the couch, and would give off deep purrs that would reverberate through my whole torso (she reaches all the way from my collar to my hips, tail not included).

And since you asked, here are little-big-cat and big-big-cat :)

IMG_3628.thumb.jpeg.c80de4ad5f419f39daf1c3722009336c.jpegIMG_4794.thumb.jpeg.11077958ec5012c8d43ac442f75edc0a.jpeg

So, I started doing hill and staircase walks about 5 weeks ago. The hill is not too steep, but it's followed by an extremely steep staircase that takes me to the limits of my very low endurance. I thought that doing this repeatedly would improve my cardiovascular fitness and reduce my fatigue more generally. It takes 16-18 minutes each time. I don't run; I feel fatigued just looking at runners, and I have no desire to repeatedly slam my dodgy feet/ankles into the ground. I thought maybe it was getting slightly easier (like, an 8.5 out of 10 instead of a 9 out of 10, where 10 is death) but a head cold and two weeks off have nudged it back up to 9 again. Bleargh. I wonder if lifting more often would increase my endurance. Somehow. By making my body feel light like tiny dumbbells thanks to my awesomely disproportionate strength, maybe. I would like that. 

• Like 5

On 11/19/2018 at 1:52 PM, Grumble said:

Elevate

This last 10k trail run proved I need to do more than just run on the streets. SO I will be adding more trail running as well as hill work. This will also replace a shorter run day.

Man those are a bitch.  There's an epic sledding hill here that goes over 45* angle for a bit and at one point I was running it just 10 times and my heart rate would over 180. Need to get back to that when it is a bit warmer here.

Excited to follow along with you this month bud.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Harriet said:

Well, Mr Harriet got a research fellowship at a University here. So we packed our things, reluctantly gave our cats to a friend, and flew to the USA, trying to banish the memory of distressed mewling by little-big cat during the drive, and her refusal to alight from the safety of the cat tree in the new apartment--for several hours. Happily, big-big cat enjoyed exploring the new apartment. But we miss her extreme cuddles and hyper-purring. Little-big cat used to sit on the back of my computer chair like a heavy fur stole, tail draped over one shoulder, sometimes chewing my hair. Big-big cat used to lay on top of me if I napped on the couch, and would give off deep purrs that would reverberate through my whole torso (she reaches all the way from my collar to my hips, tail not included).

Thats adorable.

14 hours ago, Harriet said:

And since you asked, here are little-big-cat and big-big-cat :)

IMG_3628.thumb.jpeg.c80de4ad5f419f39daf1c3722009336c.jpegIMG_4794.thumb.jpeg.11077958ec5012c8d43ac442f75edc0a.jpeg

KITTIES! Also, congrats on Mr Harriett for being a brilliant human being.

So, I started doing hill and staircase walks about 5 weeks ago. The hill is not too steep, but it's followed by an extremely steep staircase that takes me to the limits of my very low endurance. I thought that doing this repeatedly would improve my cardiovascular fitness and reduce my fatigue more generally. It takes 16-18 minutes each time. I don't run; I feel fatigued just looking at runners, and I have no desire to repeatedly slam my dodgy feet/ankles into the ground. I thought maybe it was getting slightly easier (like, an 8.5 out of 10 instead of a 9 out of 10, where 10 is death) but a head cold and two weeks off have nudged it back up to 9 again. Bleargh. I wonder if lifting more often would increase my endurance. Somehow. By making my body feel light like tiny dumbbells thanks to my awesomely disproportionate strength, maybe. I would like that. 

It absolutely does. Although, lifting like a powerlifter doesn't help as much as HIIT, crossfit, or strongman lifting because all of those require more endurance than PL. I am training like a runner (obviously) so I'm doing full body with an emphasis on time under tension so I can build my endurance level strength up. Also, I've learned that people have bad ankles and some people have ankles with poor mobility. Figure out which are yours (I thought I had cruddy ankles until I improved their mobility)

Also, in hindsight, my earlier response was awfully ranty and I apologize for it, as it was not meant that way.

3 hours ago, Broba Fett said:

Man those are a bitch.  There's an epic sledding hill here that goes over 45* angle for a bit and at one point I was running it just 10 times and my heart rate would over 180. Need to get back to that when it is a bit warmer here.

HAHAHAHAHA. No seriously. That's a hell of a hill.

Excited to follow along with you this month bud.

Broba! Glad to see your mandalorian mug around here again.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Thats adorable.

KITTIES! Also, congrats on Mr Harriett for being a brilliant human being.

It absolutely does. Although, lifting like a powerlifter doesn't help as much as HIIT, crossfit, or strongman lifting because all of those require more endurance than PL. I am training like a runner (obviously) so I'm doing full body with an emphasis on time under tension so I can build my endurance level strength up. Also, I've learned that people have bad ankles and some people have ankles with poor mobility. Figure out which are yours (I thought I had cruddy ankles until I improved their mobility)

Also, in hindsight, my earlier response was awfully ranty and I apologize for it, as it was not meant that way.

Yes, KITTIES! :D And thank you re: Mr Harriet's brilliance. 

I didn't come across as ranty, it came across as helpful, like an awesome fitness nerd. So, are you doing running for the endurance goal rather than because you love running itself? Or both? Did you hate it at the start but learn to enjoy it? I just want to have more energy for my daily life and not get tired so quickly. I guess I just have to learn to love the feeling of lactic acid and breathlessness. I think my ankles are mobile, but my stupid feet are thin and bony. Also, I have the combination of anterior pelvic tilt/knees that come in/feet that pronate in. Which means they lose their arch and do a bad job of shock absorbing.

Just now, Harriet said:

I didn't come across as ranty, it came across as helpful, like an awesome fitness nerd. So, are you doing running for the endurance goal rather than because you love running itself? Or both? Did you hate it at the start but learn to enjoy it? I just want to have more energy for my daily life and not get tired so quickly. I guess I just have to learn to love the feeling of lactic acid and breathlessness.

I hate running. I signed for the L.A. marathon next march as a bucket list goal. But as with any physical endeavour, I'm training to complete and training to improve. I don't learn to love the breathlessness, I am loving being able to run the same route at the same time with less to little effort. example. My very first group run of 3 miles took me 29:21. I ran that same route 3 weeks later in 26:56. My current average time for 3 mile runs is now 26 flat. or about an 8:40. My recovery runs, which for me have traditionally been at the beginning of the week, are about 9:30 a mile and I can hold a (slightly breathy) conversation the whole time. 

Just now, Harriet said:

I think my ankles are mobile, but my stupid feet are thin and bony.

I don't know what thin and bony anything looks like. I recently lost abou 40 lbs and lost a shoe size. Brings a new meaning to fat feet. Can you do a mobility test?

Just now, Harriet said:

Also, I have the combination of anterior pelvic tilt/knees that come in/feet that pronate in. Which means they lose their arch and do a bad job of shock absorbing.

(NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL) In my experience that's the pelvic tilt/knee issues are due to underperforming glutes. Which I still have to some degree. (Partially why I introduced A2G paused squats ince a week into my workout) One of my favorite tests is the CHAIR OF DEATH Death death death death death...

https://www.self.com/story/improve-your-running

(third exercise, although the toe yoga is suprisingly useful)

I dunno about the feet, but as someone with planar fasciatis, I recommend going to at the very least a running shoe store and getting the measurements to help you find the right shoe to either mitigate or address that. I've gotten both a biometrics test and a gait test to help find shoes that work best for me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Did you hate it at the start but learn to enjoy it? I just want to have more energy for my daily life and not get tired so quickly. I guess I just have to learn to love the feeling of lactic acid and breathlessness. 

All of this.

14 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I hate running.

I'm following this conversation avidly. I want to like running, I've tried many times to like running, I have never succeeded at liking running - but @Grumble's advice all seems very sound and I am surprisingly encouraged by the idea that you don't have to like it to improve at it. I have way-less-than-zero interest in running a marathon, but I would still like to think I'm competent to run half a mile or so at need (if I were, say, being chased by a serial killer or something) without dying from the side-stitch-o-doom. 

7 minutes ago, raptron said:

@Harriet has very cute cats.

FLOOFIES!!! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

All of this.

I'm following this conversation avidly. I want to like running, I've tried many times to like running, I have never succeeded at liking running - but @Grumble's advice all seems very sound and I am surprisingly encouraged by the idea that you don't have to like it to improve at it.

If you're going to do something, even if you don't like it, at least be good at it.  - Somebody's philosophy that I chose to cherrypick and remember.

Seriously though, I can't imagine taking on a major undertaking of any kind without a plan to improve along the way.

I have way-less-than-zero interest in running a marathon, but I would still like to think I'm competent to run half a mile or so at need (if I were, say, being chased by a serial killer or something) without dying from the side-stitch-o-doom. 

This is going to sound stupid, but the very first thing I changed years ago is exhaling on my left foot strike. I can honestly say I have been out of breath, muscles quivering, unable to go a step farther, but I have never since had a side stitch.

FLOOFIES!!! 

They are extra floofy. Flooftacular maybe. A floofaganza. (the scientific name for a group of extra fuzzy cats and you can't change my mind.)

• Like 3