• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grumble

Grumble gains inVOWELuable knowledge

5 minutes ago, Grumble said:

This is going to sound stupid, but the very first thing I changed years ago is exhaling on my left foot strike. I can honestly say I have been out of breath, muscles quivering, unable to go a step farther, but I have never since had a side stitch.

The only thing that has seemed to work for me is leaning forward into the run and kinda 'holding my chest open' consciously rather than letting my inhalation open my chest up.

I don't know if that makes sense or not, but its seemed to work the past months or so....that and not eating 30 min prior to swimming, washing behind my ears, and putting my laundry away...honestly, it seems pretty evolutionarily defeating...*ages ago* "hold on Mr. Predator...I've got a stitch in my side, lets take a 5 min break..." how has this NOT been bred out of our species yet

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, farflight said:

The only thing that has seemed to work for me is leaning forward into the run and kinda 'holding my chest open' consciously rather than letting my inhalation open my chest up.

How's your endurance with that though? That controlled fall stuff they used to spout is kinda bullshit, imo. Why the heck would I want to burn extra energy not falling on my face when I'm not tired when I'm going to do that when I'm tired anyway?

5 minutes ago, farflight said:

I don't know if that makes sense or not, but its seemed to work the past months or so....that and not eating 30 min prior to swimming, washing behind my ears, and putting my laundry away...honestly, it seems pretty evolutionarily defeating...*ages ago* "hold on Mr. Predator...I've got a stitch in my side, lets take a 5 min break..." how has this NOT been bred out of our species yet

Maybe it's a thing that's come with less of an endurance lifestyle.I wonder if cultures that still are very endurance focused have that problem.

2 hours ago, Grumble said:

I hate running. I signed for the L.A. marathon next march as a bucket list goal. But as with any physical endeavour, I'm training to complete and training to improve. I don't learn to love the breathlessness, I am loving being able to run the same route at the same time with less to little effort.

That's what I was hoping would happen with cycling and hill walks. No luck yet.

I don't know what thin and bony anything looks like. I recently lost abou 40 lbs and lost a shoe size. Brings a new meaning to fat feet. Can you do a mobility test?

Interesting. Even when I was a bit overweight my hands and feet remained bony. Good news is I won't have to change shoes or rings ever. Unless these grip exercises finally turn my necromancer hands into hulk hands. I wonder if there are feet grip exercises to get muscular hulk feet? Sorry, just letting my mind wander. 

(NOT A MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL) In my experience that's the pelvic tilt/knee issues are due to underperforming glutes. Which I still have to some degree. (Partially why I introduced A2G paused squats ince a week into my workout) One of my favorite tests is the CHAIR OF DEATH Death death death death death...

https://www.self.com/story/improve-your-running

(third exercise, although the toe yoga is suprisingly useful)

I dunno about the feet, but as someone with planar fasciatis, I recommend going to at the very least a running shoe store and getting the measurements to help you find the right shoe to either mitigate or address that. I've gotten both a biometrics test and a gait test to help find shoes that work best for me.

Yeah, I have deliberately working at strengthening my glutes significantly and my knees still turn in. I think the glute med is weak, not the max (not anymore). Those clamshell moves seem too easy to actually do anything, though... Anyway, you've given me the idea of researching running gait exercises, because even if I don't start running this will quite possibly help my normal posture and gait.Thank you kindly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grumble said:

How's your endurance with that though? That controlled fall stuff they used to spout is kinda bullshit, imo. Why the heck would I want to burn extra energy not falling on my face when I'm not tired when I'm going to do that when I'm tired anyway?

I guess by lean forward I mean keeping a much more vertical running posture (with midfoot striking). The last few runs I've done pretty well 3-3.5 miles (did a 5k last november) and have been routinely hitting 3ish miles lately. 

Granted, you're hitting longer distances, so that might change after mile 5, 10, or 20. I think the bigger part though is keep my ribs/chest open, so its easier to take in deep breathes, I just have to remind myself to not let my chest cave in

7 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Maybe it's a thing that's come with less of an endurance lifestyle.I wonder if cultures that still are very endurance focused have that problem

I really wish I could read a study on that! It seems interesting

• Like 2

On 11/29/2018 at 12:00 PM, farflight said:

But are predators striders or sprinters? I think big cats can't go fast for long, they sneak then sprint. Wolves though, wolves will eat you if you get a stitch, for sure. I have no idea what bears do. I think they eat fish, so, a possible danger for weak swimmers. 

• Haha 3

On 11/29/2018 at 12:21 PM, farflight said:

I really wish I could read a study on that! It seems interesting

I found a ted talk that talks about about it!

On 11/30/2018 at 5:33 PM, Harriet said:

But are predators striders or sprinters? I think big cats can't go fast for long, they sneak then sprint. Wolves though, wolves will eat you if you get a stitch, for sure. I have no idea what bears do. I think they eat fish, so, a possible danger for weak swimmers. 

One of my absolute favorite stories about humans comes from tumblr and I love sharing it.

https://imgur.com/gallery/XpThccW

• Like 2

WEEK 2 COMETH!

And by the gods its going to be a busy one.

Last weeks recap:

Accelerate: 0/1 I skipped my thursday run, christmas decorations are more important.

Elevate: 1/1 Hills suck, but I did it. I think, because it's almost a quarter mile by itself instead of running around the whole area I'm just going to go up and down the hill 10 times or so.

Implement: 1/1 It's done, except for how it's going to mount, but I'm going to let the wife decide if she wants to wall mount it or sit it on a desk. But I'm calling this a win (pics later this week)

Ohmmmmm: 4/7 I made it through Thursday. Finished decorating and played video games on friday, had army christmas party and work christmas party on saturday, and army again on sunday. Probably could have at least made 5/7 on Sunday, but I was tired and grumpy and forgot. Not the most auspicious start, but at least it's something.

Other note, I've been having exceptionally vivid dreams this last week. I'm wondering if they're related to the newly forming habit of meditating. Has this happened with anyone else?

Unplug: 6/6 I managed to get my phone plugged in and put away reasonably every night except Saturday. But i was out til almost midnight. At a surprisingly boring christmas party. So the wife and I watched funny videos with coworkers and made it a good time.

Not a bad week all told. 

Image result for vowel gifs

• Like 6

On 11/29/2018 at 9:53 AM, Harriet said:

Also, I have the combination of anterior pelvic tilt

Huh. Might this be subject to the magic of physical therapy? (I had problems with my pelvis being misaligned due to a fall when young compounded by weak abs. Physical therapy has improved this dramatically.) 

7 hours ago, Grumble said:

Other note, I've been having exceptionally vivid dreams this last week. I'm wondering if they're related to the newly forming habit of meditating. Has this happened with anyone else?

Unplug: 6/6 I managed to get my phone plugged in and put away reasonably every night except Saturday.

Actually, I'd guess the dreams may be the result of better sleep patterns because the phone is put away earlier. 

13 hours ago, Katerina said:

Actually, I'd guess the dreams may be the result of better sleep patterns because the phone is put away earlier. 

Frozen Sorcery GIF - Frozen Sorcery Ice GIFs
  • Haha 2

E - Elevate

Later today.

I - Implement

Thursday for pics. Still having problems with the raspberry calendar. Plus I need to make a frame. I may be double dipping on my projects.

O - Ohmmmmm 1/7

Did a 3 minute session before bed. found something that helped lead into sleep. I've also started using one of the things that headspace uses pretty often, feeling your body against whatever it's sitting/laying on. I tend to start at my feet and work my way up, I've yet to make it to my head before I fall asleep. I also woke up 10 minutes before my alarm this morning feeling positive and well rested. Shit's weird, yo.

Neckrolling Owl GIF - Birds Bird Owl GIFs

U - Unplug 1/7: This was so easy last night. I discovered one of my big issues with getting of my phone was losing track of time. So what I have done is set my phone to night mode at 8:30. It doesn't lock me out or shut down, it just gently changes my color scheme to filter out blue light. It's a painless and easy way to tell me it's time. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Grumble said:

Ohmmmmm: 4/7 I made it through Thursday. Finished decorating and played video games on friday, had army christmas party and work christmas party on saturday, and army again on sunday. Probably could have at least made 5/7 on Sunday, but I was tired and grumpy and forgot. Not the most auspicious start, but at least it's something.

I'm a chronic long-term meditator and I've never noticed that side effect, however I do have super-intense dreams when I've been sleeping poorly for a while (especially if having stressy-times) for a bit when I start to sleep well again I've got Quentin Tarantino meets Baz Luhrmann all up in my brainpan. So I'm thinking maybe @Katerina is on to something there.

3 minutes ago, Grumble said:

O - Ohmmmmm 1/7

Did a 3 minute session before bed. found something that helped lead into sleep. I've also started using one of the things that headspace uses pretty often, feeling your body against whatever it's sitting/laying on. I tend to start at my feet and work my way up, I've yet to make it to my head before I fall asleep. I also woke up 10 minutes before my alarm this morning feeling positive and well rested. Shit's weird, yo.

But good weird tho - right?

4 minutes ago, Grumble said:

U - Unplug 1/7: This was so easy last night. I discovered one of my big issues with getting of my phone was losing track of time. So what I have done is set my phone to night mode at 8:30. It doesn't lock me out or shut down, it just gently changes my color scheme to filter out blue light. It's a painless and easy way to tell me it's time. 

I have f.lux on my laptop for that very reason. I did not know that this was a thing on my phone. It is. It is also an option for my tablet. You, sir, have just unintentionally improved my quality of life.

giphy.gif

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Grumble said:

WEEK 2 COMETH!

And by the gods its going to be a busy one.

Last weeks recap:

Accelerate: 0/1 I skipped my thursday run, christmas decorations are more important.

Elevate: 1/1 Hills suck, but I did it. I think, because it's almost a quarter mile by itself instead of running around the whole area I'm just going to go up and down the hill 10 times or so.

Implement: 1/1 It's done, except for how it's going to mount, but I'm going to let the wife decide if she wants to wall mount it or sit it on a desk. But I'm calling this a win (pics later this week)

Unplug: 6/6 I managed to get my phone plugged in and put away reasonably every night except Saturday. But i was out til almost midnight. At a surprisingly boring christmas party. So the wife and I watched funny videos with coworkers and made it a good time.

Yay for space orcs!  No, I never found any difference in my dreams after starting meditating. Weird but cool. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Grumble said:

O - Ohmmmmm 1/7

Groovy, glad the meditation is going well!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I'm a chronic long-term meditator and I've never noticed that side effect, however I do have super-intense dreams when I've been sleeping poorly for a while (especially if having stressy-times) for a bit when I start to sleep well again I've got Quentin Tarantino meets Baz Luhrmann all up in my brainpan. So I'm thinking maybe @Katerina is on to something there.

Possibly. I didn't have these when I was going to bed at 9-915 every night when i was doing my weight loss challenge and I did not have dreams that vivid.

But good weird tho - right?

Definitely good weird.

I have f.lux on my laptop for that very reason. I did not know that this was a thing on my phone. It is. It is also an option for my tablet. You, sir, have just unintentionally improved my quality of life.

giphy.gif

Image result for help me help you gif

10 hours ago, MikeW said:

Duuuuude, so glad meditation sounds like it’s bringing good things into your life!

I did not expect it to be this helpful. I was looking at my fitbit sleep results over the last month and I've even seen an improvement of my sleep quality, exponentially so over the last couple weeks.

Accelerate: 1/1

Elevate: 1/1 

I did both yesterday. 5 rounds hill sprints. 1 minute sprint up the hill then walk back down. By the 5th round I was done. I was wheezing like a two pack a day smoker. Also got butt dialed by a friend and decied it would be a good idea to answer it, I sounded like one of those prank caller mouth breathers. It was not one of my brightest moments. So this will be my new standard going forward, with the goal of sprinting all 5 rounds. Once I can do that I will add another round until I get to 10 rounds. 

Implement: 0/1 Distracted by Destiny 2. I'll focus, I swear.

Ohmmmmm: 2/7 Continuing to do this. Continuing to feel good about doing it. Nuff said.

Unplug: 2/7 The night mode is a perfect reminder. I was in the middle of getting addresses for Christmas cards when the screen changed. I didn't even finish copying the address I was working on and put my phone away. It was very much a Pavlovian reaction, but that's kind of what I want.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Unplug: 2/7 The night mode is a perfect reminder. I was in the middle of getting addresses for Christmas cards when the screen changed. I didn't even finish copying the address I was working on and put my phone away. It was very much a Pavlovian reaction, but that's kind of what I want.

Perfect.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Elevate: 1/1 

I did both yesterday. 5 rounds hill sprints. 1 minute sprint up the hill then walk back down. By the 5th round I was done. I was wheezing like a two pack a day smoker. Also got butt dialed by a friend and decied it would be a good idea to answer it, I sounded like one of those prank caller mouth breathers. It was not one of my brightest moments. So this will be my new standard going forward, with the goal of sprinting all 5 rounds. Once I can do that I will add another round until I get to 10 rounds. 

Nice work. I mean the sprints, not the phone call. Are you still lifting at the moment? Do the sprints affect the lifting? 

11 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Nice work. I mean the sprints, not the phone call. Are you still lifting at the moment? Do the sprints affect the lifting? 

I lift, but it's down to once a week on Sunday. Trying to double up or lift the day before a run has been causing unexpected pains, especially in my shoulder, but lifting on my scheduled crosstrain day, which is between long run and rest day, seems to be beneficial. I think sprints augment lifting. I think my long distance running affect lifting a little more negatively, which is expected. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

I lift, but it's down to once a week on Sunday. Trying to double up or lift the day before a run has been causing unexpected pains, especially in my shoulder, but lifting on my scheduled crosstrain day, which is between long run and rest day, seems to be beneficial. I think sprints augment lifting. I think my long distance running affect lifting a little more negatively, which is expected. 

Interesting. Is lifting once a week enough to maintain? 

21 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Interesting. Is lifting once a week enough to maintain? 

Maintain strength? Yes.

Maintain PR strength? No.

TBF, I do bodyweight stuff too. Pushups, pullups, jump squats, etc.

• Like 1