• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

Lateral Planet Runs to the Finish Line

How is it nearly December already!? One more challenge and I will have successfully completed a whole year of continuous challenges, yay! So I'd better make it a good one. The next four weeks are going to be pretty hectic, so I'm splitting the challenge into halves:

Part One: Survival Mode

1) Do some exercise every day

2) No liquid calories

3) No deep-fried food 

4) <25g sugar each day

Part Two: Speed Run

1) Zombies Run 5K training as often as possible 

2) Do some exercise every day

3) No liquid calories

4) No deep-fried food 

5) <25g sugar each day

The first part covers the last busy work fortnight of the year, which is always a pain (after that it's smooth sailing til February)! If I can manage any exercise at all, even just a handful of squats while I'm getting ready for bed, I'll call that a win.

After that I'm back on a 9 to 5 schedule so I'll have more time for running. I did the 5K training app at the same time last year, but I'd like to do it again so I can improve. Although I did set a new personal best at the last race, I feel like my progress has stalled a bit, especially in the last couple of weeks, when the most cardio I've done is a few flights of stairs each day at work. Next year I'd like to be able to jog continuously for a whole 5km.

I'm also letting go of the pushups challenge for a bit. I totally failed to get into full bodyweight workouts in the last challenge; I tried to replace runs with workouts and ended up doing nothing. I'm hoping that by making the goal a broad "Do anything" I'll be more free to try some different things and see what I enjoy besides Zombies Run.

Otherwise the challenge is all nutrition based. As Christmas parties start happening I need to really focus on eating well if I want to keep losing weight. So I've got a few simple rules in place that have served me well in previous challenges. 

Targets:

I'm setting up a couple of targets for the end of the year. There's no punishment for not reaching these goals but there should be rewards for succeeding. I'm sure the Boxing Day sales will inspire me.

74.5kg = my current weight and exactly 10kg below my heaviest. If I can avoid gaining any weight that's a major win!

72.5kg = from memory, my weight when I first joined NF in 2015

<70kg = my original goal set at the start of the year. Not sure how achievable this is (5kg in five weeks seems like a lot) but we'll see how close I can get!

Good luck, everyone :D:D

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Dalish said:

A whole year of consecutive challenges!  Awesome! :D 

Following along, I like your two-part split 

Thanks! It's quite exciting; this isn't my first attempt but it's definitely the longest I've stuck with a 'get fit' plan

Yep I've learned that it's easier to have one set of expectations for regular weeks snd a different set for the busy weeks. When I'm working a lot of overtime I just get too exhausted to want to exercise much, but it takes no extra effort to eat well so that'll be the main goal

• Like 2

Following again. One year is a great accomplishment. And you have made progress the entire time. Here to cheer you on as you run.

Although, to be honest, this might be me if I tried this at the moment

giphy.gif

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Following again. One year is a great accomplishment. And you have made progress the entire time. Here to cheer you on as you run.

Although, to be honest, this might be me if I tried this at the moment

giphy.gif

Thanks! It hasn't always been linear progress but I'm still in a better place than I was this time last year, which is basically unprecedented!

Poor kitty! Honestly, that was me yesterday. Still, I'd call that a good effort, especially considering the only cardio I've done in ages has been to use the stairs at work to get to the vending machines on the second floor ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Thanks! It hasn't always been linear progress but I'm still in a better place than I was this time last year, which is basically unprecedented!

Progress won't always be linear. And lets be honest, if it was, you may not trust it. But the fact that you can say "I am in a better place now" is a huge thing, so focus on that portion.

10 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

Poor kitty! Honestly, that was me yesterday. Still, I'd call that a good effort, especially considering the only cardio I've done in ages has been to use the stairs at work to get to the vending machines on the second floor ;)

I am sure you did better than you think.  It probably just felt harder since you missed a few runs. But overall, you ran at all which is again, progress.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Progress won't always be linear. And lets be honest, if it was, you may not trust it. But the fact that you can say "I am in a better place now" is a huge thing, so focus on that portion.

I am sure you did better than you think.  It probably just felt harder since you missed a few runs. But overall, you ran at all which is again, progress.

Very true! Not gonna lie, every time the scales give me an unexpected result (good or bad) I get suspicious, but that's because they were $10 from Kmart so quality is not assured ;) I'll do an anniversary photo shoot at the end of the year, that'll really tell a story!

Exactly, since I wasn't jogging much it felt so slow! But even at a light stroll I was running laps around Fiancé, who was napping on the couch the entire time ;)

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 4:46 PM, Lateral Planet said:

Exactly, since I wasn't jogging much it felt so slow! But even at a light stroll I was running laps around Fiancé, who was napping on the couch the entire time ;)

This is what I tell myself with numerous things. 1 is better than 0 for push ups, walking laps, ect. Keep up the good work

• Like 1

OMG you guys!! I just locked in a wedding venue!!

1017652023_tenor(1).gif.b8c0315cefc2644aa1514b87c0f77fdd.gif

And Vistaprint had a sale on so we've also picked a stationery design and ordered save the dates! I think we've finally firmly kicked the procrastination and indecision demons to the curb and things are happening.

It also means I need to really smash this challenge if I want to be comfortable dress shopping early next year. I've never had anything tailored and never worn anything like a wedding dress before, so I want to look and feel my best, or at least better than I do today. Today I'm celebrating with a very unhealthy lunch, but after all these chips are gone it's back to work with the healthy living!

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Lateral Planet said:

OMG you guys!! I just locked in a wedding venue!!

1017652023_tenor(1).gif.b8c0315cefc2644aa1514b87c0f77fdd.gif

And Vistaprint had a sale on so we've also picked a stationery design and ordered save the dates! I think we've finally firmly kicked the procrastination and indecision demons to the curb and things are happening.

It also means I need to really smash this challenge if I want to be comfortable dress shopping early next year. I've never had anything tailored and never worn anything like a wedding dress before, so I want to look and feel my best, or at least better than I do today. Today I'm celebrating with a very unhealthy lunch, but after all these chips are gone it's back to work with the healthy living!

giphy.gif

Woo congrats!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Dalish said:

giphy.gif

Woo congrats!

Thanks! Also I love that gif, it's adorable!

Tonight I made a lunch for tomorrow, I've thrown a salad together so I can avoid the work cafeteria. Also I think we've been eating slightly healthier this week completely accidentally. The oven's been broken since the weekend so while we wait for the landlord to come around we're doing without garlic bread, roast potatoes and any baked treats I might usually be tempted to make. That said, I've been a little generous with chocolate in the last couple of days so that probably makes up for it ;)

• Like 1

Well that was silly of me, I forgot today is our office Christmas party so I didn't need to make lunch after all! Oh well, the salad should still be fresh enough to recycle as part of tonight's dinner. And it's unusually cold for an Australian November day so I'm looking forward to some nice hot Thai food!

• Like 1

Since the last challenge totally failed to reignite an interest in bodyweight exercises, I thought I'd try something different this time around and have a go at a Darebee program. Since it's been a while, I'm not going to make myself do all the reps they prescribe; just as many as I can until I'm too tired. I did day 1 of Hero's Journey just now, and managed 40 reps instead of 60, which isn't too bad, I'd say.

Given my schedule in the next couple of weeks won't allow for much running, it'll be nice to have some exercises to do. Also I invited some friends to come dress shopping with me in January so I want to be ready for it then!

• Like 1

Congrats on getting the wedding venue set up. That is great news. And good luck with the darebee program; I think you have the right idea. do what you can and then try to do just one better the next day.

I love batch cooking on weekends for lunch. It makes it so much easier than "what will I try to make as I walk out the door."

Looks like you are all ready for a good start to the week

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Congrats on getting the wedding venue set up. That is great news. And good luck with the darebee program; I think you have the right idea. do what you can and then try to do just one better the next day.

I love batch cooking on weekends for lunch. It makes it so much easier than "what will I try to make as I walk out the door."

Looks like you are all ready for a good start to the week

Thanks! It feels good to be actually making some progress wedding-wise!

I've done two days of the Darebee thing and so far I'm doing well below what they expect, but it's better than nothing at all. It might also be a side-effect of forgetting about it until bedtime ;)

Batch cooking it good but it's a bit of a pain without the oven! Hopefully that'll get replaced soon.

In other news, I was a little indulgent last week and it shows; this morning I've crept back ip to 75kg. It's not the end of the world and if I apply myself this week I should be able to lose it as quickly as I gained it, but it's still annoying. There's something about the week between challenges that sends me off track a bit. I'll try to get a better handle on that next time!

• Like 1

Ohh nice job getting the Wedding Venue secured. Something you won't have to worry about anymore :) I am attempting to get get my running started up. Hopefully, you do anything works out for you. I have struggled the same these last couple of challenges with doing any kind of bodyweights 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I've done two days of the Darebee thing and so far I'm doing well below what they expect, but it's better than nothing at all. It might also be a side-effect of forgetting about it until bedtime ;)

I generally push a large chunk of my exercise off till close to bed. Partially due to timing but partially due to the "hey, if I do this then go to bed, I sleep better". I also find this works for using the treadmill as well.

But the main point here is your doing something, and you will improve if  you keep working on it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tateman said:

Ohh nice job getting the Wedding Venue secured. Something you won't have to worry about anymore :) I am attempting to get get my running started up. Hopefully, you do anything works out for you. I have struggled the same these last couple of challenges with doing any kind of bodyweights 

Thanks! That's one thing down and about a thousand to go ;)

Good on you! Yep a while back I thought I should diversify a bit and aimed to do fewer runs and more exercises ... which ended up with me not doing much of anything at all! So this time I'll try a reverse psychology thing, like if doing bodyweight exercises isn't treated as a chore I must do, maybe I'll be more inclined to do it.

11 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I generally push a large chunk of my exercise off till close to bed. Partially due to timing but partially due to the "hey, if I do this then go to bed, I sleep better". I also find this works for using the treadmill as well.

But the main point here is your doing something, and you will improve if  you keep working on it.

Very true, I find if I can exhaust myself a bit before bed I'll get to sleep quicker. Yesterday I was either at work or commuting for pretty much all of the day, so I had to leave it til bedtime. On the other hand, today I had a bit more time in the morning so I could have done some exercises, but instead I let myself get stuck in a YouTube loop of cake decorating videos ;) (For real, I'm trying to talk myself out of trying to make my own wedding cake)

Like Steve says, the best exercise routine that really works is the one you actually stick to! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Very true, I find if I can exhaust myself a bit before bed I'll get to sleep quicker. Yesterday I was either at work or commuting for pretty much all of the day, so I had to leave it til bedtime. On the other hand, today I had a bit more time in the morning so I could have done some exercises, but instead I let myself get stuck in a YouTube loop of cake decorating videos ;) (For real, I'm trying to talk myself out of trying to make my own wedding cake)

Like Steve says, the best exercise routine that really works is the one you actually stick to! 

I can so easily get stuck in youtube videos haha :)

• Like 2

Phew, it's been a busy week and it's only Wednesday morning! So far so good on the challenge. All the meal prep has helped me avoid deep-fried food, and although I've been tempted I haven't had anything other than water and coke zero to drink. I've had only 5 or 10 grams of sugar each day, so that's a win. And although I've left it til the evenings I've kept up with the Darebee thing.

No sleep-in this morning because some tradies came over to install the new oven. Looking forward to having roasted potatoes again! Although I'm a bit annoyed the landlord picked a different type of stove, because I'm pretty sure some of my pots and pans can't be used on a glass surface. Oh well, hopefully we'll be able to get our own house this time next year so they won't gather dust for too long!

Also I got my calendar for next year indicating which weeks are going to be the really busy ones. It's going to be a very quiet year! On the one hand it'll be nice to have a reliable 9 to 5 schedule for most of the time (win for work-life balance), but on the other hand that's a lot of overtime I'll miss out on (fail for bank balance).

• Like 2

On 11/21/2018 at 9:05 PM, Lateral Planet said:

It also means I need to really smash this challenge if I want to be comfortable dress shopping early next year. 

Dude! This will be a great push! 

Make sure you share pictures of dresses!!

Im in embarrassed to ask, but I’m assuming your getting married....? :ambivalence:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Butternut said:

Dude! This will be a great push! 

Make sure you share pictures of dresses!!

Im in embarrassed to ask, but I’m assuming your getting married....? :ambivalence:

I know right, now I have a deadline! Of course I will share, don't worry ;)

Yes I'm getting married in September, and we've been engaged since July last year but not organised enough to actually plan anything until recently! It's not a weird question, either. The events coordinator at one of the venues we looked at said she's had a few inquiries from ladies who weren't even engaged but just really optimistic!

• Like 2

Remembered to do my exercises again, that's a five-day streak! Also extra points for the hour spent working out my elbows trying to scrub clean the bottom of a frying pan. Almost all of my cookware can be used on the new glass-top stove, but I need to clean off the bottom as much as I can so it won't damage the surface. But I think my cast iron pot is too knackered (the enamel is coming off the bottom) which sucks because it's kind of my favourite. I guess now I know what I want for Christmas!

• Like 1