• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

Lateral Planet Runs to the Finish Line

On 11/19/2018 at 6:35 PM, Lateral Planet said:

How is it nearly December already!? One more challenge and I will have successfully completed a whole year of continuous challenges, yay!

This. . . is serious goals right here! One year of challenges is great!

On 11/20/2018 at 7:42 AM, Lateral Planet said:

Yep I've learned that it's easier to have one set of expectations for regular weeks snd a different set for the busy weeks. When I'm working a lot of overtime I just get too exhausted to want to exercise much, but it takes no extra effort to eat well so that'll be the main goal

I might have to steal this idea.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:05 PM, Lateral Planet said:

And Vistaprint had a sale on so we've also picked a stationery design and ordered save the dates! I think we've finally firmly kicked the procrastination and indecision demons to the curb and things are happening.

Excellent score on the Vistaprint sale! I used Vista print for all my wedding stationary (save the dates, invites and response cards, and programs). They turned out BEAUTIFULLY and were way under budget, even with over-ordering by like 100.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SeekingCassandra said:

This. . . is serious goals right here! One year of challenges is great!

I'm really looking forward to it, this is easily the longest I ever stuck with a 'get fit' plan!

I might have to steal this idea.

I highly recommend it! I did this a few months ago when I went on holiday for two weeks in the middle of the challenge. I just relaxed the rules a bit while I was on holiday, so I didn't lose momentum or focus and I didn't get disheartened by achieving less than usual, which are two reasons I used to abandon 'get fit' plans years ago.

Excellent score on the Vistaprint sale! I used Vista print for all my wedding stationary (save the dates, invites and response cards, and programs). They turned out BEAUTIFULLY and were way under budget, even with over-ordering by like 100.

It was great timing! They arrived the other day (a week early!) and I'm really happy with them. Hopefully we'll be ready to order more stuff in time for the Boxing Day sales. I nearly did the same! I budgeted based on 60 people, and then at the last minute realised there were so many couples on the guest list we only really need about 40.

• Like 2

This is really off-topic but I was thinking about my October holiday just now and realised I neglected to share with you lovely people my favourite photo I've ever taken:

1567791125_2018-10-0209_03_05.thumb.jpg.3d6492c4cebdea2d8388d68f0da7be77.jpg

Cuddly wombat says hello! This dude was in a sanctuary; unfortunately I didn't get to snap any of the wild ones we saw. But usually when you see wombats at a zoo they're fast asleep, (downside to most Aussie animals being nocturnal) so I was very excited to meet this friendly guy :D:D

• Like 2

Sigh, tonight's workout was replaced with a whole lot of lifting. It looks like our shower is leaking into the room behind it, which is full of books. Just so many books, you guys. So we had to pack up two of our overstuffed bookcases and shift them into the spare room. Heck of a workout!

• Like 1

I'm so over this week; just a whole bunch of little annoying things going wrong have added up and it's made me cranky today. So this afternoon I had a nap and a nice bath and shaved and did my nails (both of which I've been meaning to do for ages), which all helped improve my mood a bit.

Skipped the walk I had planned to time for it all, but it was worth it :) Not to mention my thighs still haven't forgiven me for all those lunges I did on Wednesday night, so I'm glad today's Darebee set was all pushups and planks!

Nutrition goals are going well. It's nice to have a working oven again, and even nicer to be able to have dinner at home rather than at work. Just one more busy week to go and then I can relax for a few months!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

I'm so over this week; just a whole bunch of little annoying things going wrong have added up and it's made me cranky today. So this afternoon I had a nap and a nice bath and shaved and did my nails (both of which I've been meaning to do for ages), which all helped improve my mood a bit.

Skipped the walk I had planned to time for it all, but it was worth it :) Not to mention my thighs still haven't forgiven me for all those lunges I did on Wednesday night, so I'm glad today's Darebee set was all pushups and planks!

Nutrition goals are going well. It's nice to have a working oven again, and even nicer to be able to have dinner at home rather than at work. Just one more busy week to go and then I can relax for a few months!

Hey, sometimes you just need that mental break to take care of yourself :) 

• Like 2

It was a busy weekend! On Saturday I baked some brownies to test out the oven, and then I made a hedgehog slice because Fiancé asked nicely, but I restrained myself from eating any.

We went for a nice long walk, and it was great to really stretch my legs at last. Looking forward to the end of the week, when I can start getting back into running! I also did a Darebee set in the evening.

On Sunday some friends and I took a road trip to a cherry festival out of town. It was much more successful than our last road trip, when we went on a pilgrimage to Yass to check out the pub after the Queer Eye guys had spruced it up. It was nice enough, but basically it was a long way to go for fish and chips ;)

My friends actually commented on how well I was eating, since I didn't get chips with lunch and didn't have pie and ice cream while we rested after cherry picking. I just said, "I've been practicing!" Also I tried on a dress! I just happened to see a gorgeous lacy green thing in a boutique and had to try it on. It felt good, and it gave me some ideas for the kind of silhouette I'm looking for in a wedding dress. If I can't find something white in my budget I'll be checking the eveningwear section for something green ;)

The downside was I had to spend a lot of the evening pitting cherries so I could freeze them, so I skipped exercises for the night. I kind of accidentally picked way too many (that bucket was bigger than I thought, and apparently I'm awesome at cherry picking), and ended up with 4.6 kilos to deal with! If anyone has any recipe recommendations I'm happy to hear them :D

• Like 2

Sounds like it was a fun time. I love some cherries. Just too many carbs for me right now ;) I did have a few awhile back. Could only have like 3 or 4 a day haha.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tateman said:

Sounds like it was a fun time. I love some cherries. Just too many carbs for me right now ;) I did have a few awhile back. Could only have like 3 or 4 a day haha.

It's always nice to have a day in the country, especially if there's food involved, and I just have no restraint when it comes to cherries! I probably did too much taste-testing yesterday but in the long run it's probably better for me than too much chocolate, though ;)

• Like 1

Week 1 Recap: It was a good week, especially considering how much of it I spent shackled to my desk!

1) Do some exercise every day = 6/7

It was only on Sunday I didn't make myself do something, although I think I get half a point for half an hour of manual labour picking fruit

2) No liquid calories = 7/7

It's just too hot for tea these days so I'm mostly avoiding juice and sugary soft drinks. Also I should probably be having more water anyway.

3) No deep-fried food = 7/7

Didn't have many opportunities for this one, since I packed most of my meals to have at work. I had the option of having a burger with or without chips, so I'm pleased with myself for going without.

4) <25g sugar each day = 6/7

I did have some cherry pie and ice cream for dessert last night, but otherwise I was well under 25g each day.

Result: scales this morning said 73.8kg, which is a loss of over a kilo! I don't know if I believe it, but it's what it said. I'm hoping weight loss will accelerate in week 3, when I can get back into running.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tateman said:

Hopefully, the scale is accurate :) I know I fluctuate a bit on mine ;) Good first week!

Thanks, I hope so too! Just one of those suspiciously good results, and I'm not certain I earned it, but I'm cautiously optimistic :)

• Like 1

It's been a crazy couple of days, because of course these things come in threes: first the oven broke, then the shower, and now my rear left car tyre has a leak. But I haven't let that spoil my challenge! I got some extra exercise pumping some more air into my tyres yesterday; I think I can keep it alive until I can get to the garage next week. I did have some chocolates yesterday to cheer me up, but not enough to tip me over my sugar limit. Otherwise it's all going well, but I'm really keen for this week to just be over already!

Not gonna lie, this week has kind of kicked my butt so far. It's the last busy week of the year, and it's always a toss-up between (a) Let's call it a day and start the summer break early; and (b) Let's squeeze in as much last-minute work as possible so we can say the year was extra productive. Of course they went with (b), so I'm just wiped.

Yesterday I treated myself to Maccas for dinner to celebrate the end of the craziness. It was a conscious, considered decision for comfort food. But the nuggets and chips meant I failed on fried food, and the chocolate frappe meant I failed on liquid calories and sugar. But on the day, it sure was worth it!

Today is going to be a bludge day; with all the end-of-year work events, not much actual work will get done, which is a real relief after this week! And I'm home alone for dinner, so the puppy and I can have fish, which Fiancé hates. The real challenge will be remembering to go for a run once it's finally cool enough this evening. I'm facing 34C (94F) today and all weekend, and I really don't want to go outdoors in that heat if I can help it!

I kicked today's butt! By which I mean I met the minimum requirements for a successful challenge day ;)

When I got home this arvo I made sure to change into my tights immediately so I wouldn't forget to go for a run. And I actually ran this time! Feels like I've just been walking for weeks, so it was nice to speed up a bit.

I also made a head start on next week's challenge by starting the Zombies Run 5K training app from the beginning. I did it around this time last year and ended the final week with a new personal best time for 5km, so I might as well have the same goal this time around!

• Like 1

That's awesome :) I've started my c25k app a few times, but technically only finished it once back in 2014 ;) I never did try the Zombies one. I know a few that really like it though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tateman said:

That's awesome :) I've started my c25k app a few times, but technically only finished it once back in 2014 ;) I never did try the Zombies one. I know a few that really like it though

I discovered it from this forum, actually, when I found a thread talking about it a few years ago when I started yet another short-lived "get fit" phase. When I hated running I always used to say, "I'll run when I'm chased!" because that (hopefully) never happens, but the game literally tells you you're being chased by zombies so I had to give it a go.

I really like it, mostly because there's a really good story attached to it so there's an extra incentive to keep going to hear what happens next. And I get attached to fictional characters easily. Like if a regular app told me to run I'd probably be like "Make me" but if my buddy Sam tells me to run because I have to rescue people from zombies, I don't want to let him down ;)

• Like 1

Week 2 Recap: It's been a bad week and I let the challenge suffer as a result. Ready to get back on track again this week! 

1) Do some exercise every day = 3/7

This was a combination of slacking off or just being too tired at the end of the day. Still, I'm pleased I got in a proper run, since it had been a while!

2) No liquid calories = 6/7

Damn, that frappe was so good, but it spoiled my perfect score. Also I think I'll add more water to my challenge this week. 

3) No deep-fried food = 6/7

Also an imperfect result thanks to McDonald's, but I don't plan on going back there for a while.

4) <25g sugar each day = 3/7

This was a major fail area. I actually think the frappe opened the floodgates, like, "Oh yeah, chocolate makes me happy, let's have more of that!" So I was not very restrained in my sweets consumption for the second half of the week.

Result: I'm back up to 75kg, and honestly I'm not surprised! But that's OK, I can get back down again. But I've been kind of hovering around 75kg for the last month or so, and it'd be nice to end the year on a lower number.

I'm hopeful that now I have a more stable work schedule for the next few weeks I'll have more energy to focus on doing well in the challenge, and more time to exercise as well. I have to seize that opportunity before things get busy again in February!

There were narrow victories today. I did great for nutrition goals, but I probably cut it close with the sugar limit. I had a go at making jam over the weekend (what else does one do with a freezer full of cherries?) so I had to have some pikelets and cream to test it out. I'm quite pleased with it! But from now on I'll have small quantities only.

Had to abort my plans for a run this arvo. As soon as I started the drive home there was a major hail storm warning on the radio, and I decided it wasn't worth the risk. Of course we didn't even get any rain, but I'm sure if we'd gone out we would've been pelted by hail the whole way home. So instead I just did some squats and called it a day. Something is better than nothing!

Winning today! It was cool and overcast for most of the day, so I took puppy for a run as soon as I got home. Lucky I did because it started raining soon after. Did day 2 of Zombies Run 5K training, so far I'm about two minutes per kilometre faster than I was last time :D

Had to skip the run yesterday because I was making a cake for morning tea today. So of course today is stormy as heck so I won't be able to make up for it. Hopefully it clears up a bit tomorrow! 

On the other hand, nutrition stuff is going well. I didn't even do much sneaky taste-testing of the cake yesterday, just licked the whipped cream off the beaters because oh man I love whipped cream. There was a lot left after decorating the cake (a black forest sponge) but instead of making myself eat it this week I'll freeze it and save it for Christmas dessert or something. I didn't even know you could do that, sure glad I looked it up!

Yep, there is no way I'm going outside this afternoon! It's absolutely bucketing down and the last few minutes of the drive home were actually kind of scary with such low visibility. Now I'm home I'm staying put!

Luckily I got a bit creative at work. I had the office room to myself and we've been keeping the door shut anyway to keep out some construction noise, so I figured nobody would notice me doing some cheeky exercises at my desk. I did 10 moves for every 10 pages of proofreading, so that's 120 pages, 70 squats and 50 pushups against my stabding desk. Not bad for half a day's work!

On the flipside, I did eat a fair amount at the morning tea, including a slice of my cake, which was pretty darn good if I say so myself! But I definitely exceeded my sugar limit.