Maigs Does What?!

Maigs

.....Seriously, what am I doing? I have no idea :D

I'm getting pretty well settled into the new job and re-stabilized my eating habits to where they were before (aka not horrible, but could use improvement). Physical activity has been basically nil though. It's dark by the time I get home and winter has officially moved in with the cold. 

My goals this challenge are super simple. Not necessarily easy, but simple.

Eat reasonably

Huh, that seems really familiar for some reason. My goal is to eat a reasonable amount of reasonably healthy food. Not aiming for perfection, just doing the best I can given my struggles with food and the fact that I'm not always in control of what I get for lunch. I read a book recently that makes me think I need to give intuitive eating a try so I've got that book on hold at the library. Until then I'm going to ask myself to really consider what and how much I'm eating.

Figure out a plan for getting back the gym

I have one basic overall fitness goal (besides aging with dignity) and that is to competently run OCRs. In order to do that I need to improve my strength and stamina and that's not happening sitting on my ass. So I'm going to work to find a gym that I like and will actually routinely go to.

There will probably be a lot of ramblings as I work through both of these. You all like ramblings, right?

• Like 9

Current Challenge:  Maigs Starts Over

10 hours ago, Maigahane said:

.....Seriously, what am I doing? I have no idea :D

Being awesome? 

Following :) 

• Like 2

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

I love a good ramble. Following

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

I love rambles! Also loving your goal of  eating a reasonable amount of healthy food,  but not striving for perfection.

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

22 hours ago, Xena said:

This is a great, tractable, specific goal. Hope you find someplace perfect.

Thanks! I have a few thoughts, which will be detailed in a ramble in a bit :)

12 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Being awesome? 

Following :) 

I'm feeling rather....average instead of awesome lately. Hopefully that will turn around here soon

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Also loving your goal of  eating a reasonable amount of healthy food,  but not striving for perfection.

In theory it's always been the goal. In reality I chase binges with restricting. Nothing too wild on either end (usually) but enough that I've completely stalled out and have developed not-so-great inner dialogues

20 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Following for the rambling.  :-)

10 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Bring it on! B)

7 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I love a good ramble. Following

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I love rambles!

Welp, you all asked for it. Ramblings to start next :)

• Like 2

Eat reasonably

Those of you have been around for a while know that I have good intentions and good plans for eating, but they just don't pan out quite like I imagine. I don't chase crazy diets (other than being a vegetarian with vegan tendencies, but that's mostly for environmental reasons with the health benefits being a nice side effect) and generally want to eat like a "normal person". Reasonable amounts of real food and the ability to eat treats without going nuts. Then reality hits and I get stressed or anxious and I eat those tasty tasty feelings, usually as some combination of chocolate and/or peanuts.  The last year-ish of my old job really wore on me with an incompetent coworker (damn you Kevin!) and a boss with good intentions but such horrible execution that she's running things into the ground. I'm really hoping that now that I'm getting settled into my new job, that so far is much better than the old one, I can also get to that "normal person" way of eating

Anyway, after reading a memoir of a woman who got into intuitive eating I've had a huge success with eating the way I want.

Spoiler
  • Saturday evening I didn't think I was hungry but was searching the kitchen for answer's to life's questions  and realized that I'd only had chips and dip for lunch and probably actually was hungry, so I ate some leftovers from the night before.
  • Sunday I was emotional (for no obvious reason) and wanted to eat those emotions. Even though I went to two grocery stores (doing the actual weekly grocery shopping) I didn't end up buying junk food. I imagined myself eating anything that caught my eye and knew none of it would satisfy the cravings. I realized I wanted a gooey brownie so after dinner that night I made homemade brownies (for the first time ever) and they did the trick. I started out too fast so I ate more than I probably needed (2.5 pieces) but once I took a break and thought about it I realized that they really hit the spot and I wasn't craving any more
  • Monday morning I was tempted by the brownies but imagined myself eating one and realized that it did not actually sound that good first thing in the morning so I passed
  • Monday night I made chili, ate a bowl and felt satisfied (I often have a second bowl because it's delicious and surprisingly low calorie). Then I had a single brownie and was satisfied again
  • Today I had leftover chili for lunch and 4/5ths of the way through realized that I was full and stopped. Normally I would have just powered through and finished because that's an awkward amount left
  • Tonight I made Udon with peanut sauce which is also delicious but wasn't tempted at all to get a second bowl because I'm comfortably full. There's still a brownie left which I will eat in a bit.

It feels deceiving because it's supposed to be much harder than this. It will probably get harder in the future, especially when I get stressed again. For now I'll keep doing the visualizations and trying to slow down enough to listen when my body tells me it's satisfied

I have the Intuitive Eating book on hold at the library, by which I mean I recommended that they buy it as an ebook for Overdrive. Sometimes they buy recommendations really quick so I'll give it a week or two before just checking out the physical book instead

• Like 6

Figure out a plan for getting back the gym

Like I said in the intro post: I enjoy OCR's and want to do well at them and I'm not nearly as strong or as good of a runner as I would like to be for that. Since I'm settling into my new schedule it's time to think about how to work gym time into it. I have a few options and thoughts:

• Go back to my old gym. I really liked it and realized the other day that I only stopped going because my job was spiking my anxiety. It's fairly close to home, but in the other direction from work. Pros: I can take classes or hit the weights. I really liked Sunday night kickboxing and Tuesday night spin and they fit in my normal schedule nicely. Price is really good. Cons: There's not good options for classes the rest of the week. While Sunday and Tuesday are usually good days, they're far more likely to end up with other plans than Monday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday
  • Check out the 9Rounds gym right by my work. I really like the idea of having a structured but changing workout without set class times that may or may not work with my work hours, I'm just not sure how I'll actually like it. I WILL take advantage of the free class next week
  • Check out the "Health Club" between work and home. I kinda cringe at it being a "health club" but they have classes daily that start 30 minutes after (normal) quitting time so I should be able to make it regularly, though it would push back dinner even further. They offer a free week trial that I may take advantage of if I decide against 9Rounds
  • If none of those pan out there are apparently a plethora of gyms between work and home that I can look into. The problem is finding ones with class times that work around my job and my need to eat dinner before 8pm
  • Suck it up and actually use the free gym and Hub's work. No classes and no squat or bench rack, but other than that it's decently equipped, and free, but not quite conveniently on my way home and slightly further away than my old gym

Right now I'm leaning towards checking out 9Rounds and if I'm not feeling it going back to my old gym. Either one of those would just be a twice a week commitment to start with a run sometime during the week if the weather cooperates with me

• Like 5

Tuesday

It was a really good day. I haven't talked about it but I've been working on my morning routine and it's really becoming a habit. Work was good. I said above that I had a win with mindful/intuitive eating at lunch where I quit eating my leftovers 4/5ths of the way through because I was comfortably full. Then I went for a 1.5ish mile walk. I stopped at comfortably full at one serving of dinner and had a brownie. Hubs is off to pick up a mini-Floof that we're going to be watching for the holiday and I'm curled up on the couch with a blanket which is a wonderful place to be in winter :) Calories are kinda low since my lunch was such a low calorie recipe, so if I'm extra hungry tomorrow I know why and I'll respect that my body needs more food. We're going to a concert right after work and neither Hubs nor I know when we'll be able to get off work, so I don't actually know what I'll be eating for dinner yet. Absolute worse case scenario is I grab a veggie burger at Burger King and eat it on the way, more likely we'll end up getting Chipotle or possibly one of the posh-ish restaurants near the venue if I can leave work 30 minutes early and Hubs doesn't get held up

I took a long walk at lunch yesterday too and between the two walks I did a lot of thinking and I'm pretty sure I've decided which gym option I'm going to choose and I'm pretty excited.

• Like 6

It sounds like Intuitive Eating is really working well for you. Well done on the last few days.

7 hours ago, Maigahane said:

I took a long walk at lunch yesterday too and between the two walks I did a lot of thinking and I'm pretty sure I've decided which gym option I'm going to choose and I'm pretty excited.

Do tell!  

• Like 1

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 

It sounds like Intuitive Eating is really working well for you. Well done on the last few days.

Do tell!  
Thanks. And I will tell....later.

Today I'm already doing the math on how much caffeine is lethal. Bonus-Floof absolutely would not settle down last night and kept me up until an obscene hour. Then woke me up at 5am because that's breakfast time and why aren't we feeding him, are we trying to starve him to death?!

He's a good dog, just out of his comfort zone and off routine
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Today I'm already doing the math on how much caffeine is lethal.

The good news is that you'll die of water poisoning long before reaching a lethal caffeine overdose. :D

• Like 2

Current challenge: Work. Eat. Train. Sleep. Repeat. 

2021 threads: Respawn

2018-19 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV

8 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Today I'm already doing the math on how much caffeine is lethal

5 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

The good news is that you'll die of water poisoning long before reaching a lethal caffeine overdose. :D

caffeine-bullet-caffeine-bullet-4-stuks.

Problem solved! 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

I'm glad that intuitive eating is working for you!  I'm hoping that it will work for me, too.  Sounds like you have several good gym options.  Good job working toward that goal!

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

23 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Lol, I actually even dilute my caffeine. My drink of choice is those powder flavor packets you add to a bottle of water (120mgs/packet) and I prefer at half strength in my 32oz bottle instead of the 16.9oz they say. That said, I had three of them yesterday when I've been aiming for 2. I probably would have stuck to two, but I had a concert to go to after work so I knew I'd be up later than normal

17 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

caffeine-bullet-caffeine-bullet-4-stuks.

Problem solved!

But mint is gross :P Which is probably a good thing because that could be dangerous

14 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I'm glad that intuitive eating is working for you!  I'm hoping that it will work for me, too.  Sounds like you have several good gym options.  Good job working toward that goal!

It's still too new to say it's working, but so far it's not a failure :D

• Like 3

Just now, Maigahane said:

But mint is gross :P Which is probably a good thing because that could be dangerous

It's fine they don't' really taste like mint. It's more like a ball of intense coffee flavour that someone has tried to hide behind a kind of minty taste ;) 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

Wednesday

It wasn't as rough of a day as I expected considering how bad my sleep was. I had a pretty good day at work. I had leftovers for lunch and the last of the brownies. When I was done I still felt hungry so when I went for my walk I grabbed my wallet and went the opposite direction as normal so the gas station would be there at the very end of my walk in case I was still hungry once my food settled. And of course it was plenty of food and I wasn't hungry anymore by the end of my walk.

After work I had to rush to get home, change, and eat before the concert. Hubs picked up Chipotle and because of the rush I had him get me a burrito instead of my normal bowl, and holy hell they loaded up my burrito, I don't think I've had one filled to that level of "bursting-at-the-seams". And of course chips because you can't get chipotle without chips :) I ended the day with 2200 calories...supposedly. I'm sure my burrito was more than Chipotle's nutrition chart :P Either way is okay since I was low on calories Monday and Tuesday. I would have preferred to not be in a rush so I could have gotten a bowl and been able to slow down an enjoy dinner but considering the time I had I'm okay with it. And I wasn't even slightly tempted by the overpriced food-like-crap at the concert.

The concert was really good. From Ashed to New, Bad Wolves, FFDP, and Breaking Benjamin. I sat next to a woman with her 8 year old son who was absolutely loving it, it was awesome.
FFDP kicked ass despite the lead singer being in a freaking boot (cracked heel and broken toes apparently). They were 2 or 3 songs in before I even realized it because he was still all over the stage, though you could tell near the end it was definitely getting to him

24 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

It's fine they don't' really taste like mint. It's more like a ball of intense coffee flavour that someone has tried to hide behind a kind of minty taste ;) 

Ugh, that's even worse than mint! I'm one of those people where it doesn't matter how heavily you doctor up coffee with sugar and other flavors, it still tastes like coffee and I can't stand it

• Like 2

Sounds like a good day!  Good job with food.  The concert sounds awesome.  I haven't been to a show in ages.  Happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

20 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I kinda wish they were a caramel flavour instead of mint as I think that would work better with the coffee taste. I don't mind the taste though. 

• Like 1

2020 Races: 

20 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Sounds like a good day!  Good job with food.  The concert sounds awesome.  I haven't been to a show in ages.  Happy Thanksgiving!

Thanks! Most of the concerts I've been to were in your neck of the woods at Verizon Wireless Music Center (I think it got a new name since I moved away though). It's definitely a different experience going to an outdoor concert sitting on the lawn versus indoors and sitting in an arena

Thanksgiving

It was a good, but unusual Thanksgiving for us. It was only the second time ever that we didn't go back to Homestate for the holiday. Between the new job and the concert the night before we decided to stay home. We had cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I made a cornish hen with mashed potatoes for Hubs and a Sweet Potato Curry for myself. We had Bonus-Floof most of the day, which meant horrible sleep again, but it also meant taking him for two 1-1.5 mile walks to try and wear him out, plus a  separate 1.5 mile for Floof. For dinner I wasn't kinda-but-not-really hungry and hubs wasn't hungry at all. I asked myself what I wanted to eat and decided on the half serving remaining of the experiment from the other day and some sweet potato fries. Unfortunately I got munchie and ate some tortilla chips for no real reason. Then ate some M&M's that I don't regret and ended the day at 2050 calories.

I did a thing and signed up for a free class at 9Rounds for Monday after work. I was also reminded (thanks to @jonfirestar's challenge) that I have a climbing wall that I want to tackle. I have a bit of anxiety of giving it a try though. I have no idea what I'm doing and have no one to go with. I know they'll be super friendly and accommodating there, but there's still the anxiety

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I was also reminded (thanks to @jonfirestar's challenge) that I have a climbing wall that I want to tackle. I have a bit of anxiety of giving it a try though. I have no idea what I'm doing and have no one to go with. I know they'll be super friendly and accommodating there, but there's still the anxiety

This is my exact circumstance too :) Obviously I know the others who go climbing but I don't live near enough to them to make it viable to tag along so I'm left with doing it by myself. It really isn't a secret at this point that I was extremely anxious about it. Look to see if they do introduction lessons at the gym. I did that and it really helped with me going the first time, if not when I went at it on my own last night but my gym also offers beginner group lessons and I decided between last night and today that I will be doing those for a little while and that might also be an option (and for my gym they are really cost effective although that probably isn't universal). 

• Like 1

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

8 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

This is my exact circumstance too :) Obviously I know the others who go climbing but I don't live near enough to them to make it viable to tag along so I'm left with doing it by myself. It really isn't a secret at this point that I was extremely anxious about it. Look to see if they do introduction lessons at the gym. I did that and it really helped with me going the first time, if not when I went at it on my own last night but my gym also offers beginner group lessons and I decided between last night and today that I will be doing those for a little while and that might also be an option (and for my gym they are really cost effective although that probably isn't universal). 

My climbing wall is a little different in that it's actually part of the college gym but anyone can use it. They have a basics/intro class to teach you how to belay, tie knots, etc which I have taken. They supposedly have other more indepth climbing classes, but I rarely see them posted, and when I do I always find them too late to join. The woman who taught the basics class would probably have done individual training, but she was about to graduate and move to Colorado at the time. I'm guessing there's others there that would do it to, I just have to actually get there and then actually talk to people

• Like 2