• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Katerina

The Holiday Special

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

What on earth is the captain's or arse-less chair? Regardless, congrats on getting 7 of whatever things you do with them :D

Thank you. This is an arse-less chair. It will be a long time before I can do what he is doing. Most people I have seen just go for 90 degrees.

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

You eat one doughnut per year? That's amazing moderation. That's extreme moderation

I probably have about 4/yr. Generally, really sweet foods do not sit well with me, so the indulgence is just not worth it. Breaking up with marshmallows about broke my heart (especially because I make them myself for Christmas), but corn syrup is another NO for my stomach. So it's less about discipline and more about avoidance of pain. ;) If I am going to do bad things, it will probably involve Mexican food and/or wine. (Though the latter also imposes its own limitations. Half day hangovers are the worst. Except for lunges that make me feel weak and uncoordinated. My pride, at least, would rather have the hangover.)

captains-chair-leg-and-hip-raise.png

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Katerina said:

captains-chair-leg-and-hip-raise.png

It makes me very happy that you picked this visual. Most people just bend their legs without any pelvic tilt and that just works the hip flexors, with abs as an afterthought.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

It makes me very happy that you picked this visual. Most people just bend their legs without any pelvic tilt and that just works the hip flexors, with abs as an afterthought.

it explains so much. years ago i did these without pelvic tilt and thought wow i must have really strong abs because this is way too easy. ahahahahaha wrongo.

43 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

it explains so much. years ago i did these without pelvic tilt and thought wow i must have really strong abs because this is way too easy. ahahahahaha wrongo.

I learned this watching an Alan Thrall video a month or so ago.Or maybe it was Buff Dudes. I might spend too much time youtube fitness channels.

• Haha 1

On 12/10/2018 at 12:29 PM, Grumble said:

makes me very happy that you picked this visual.

Don't get too excited. . .beginner's luck. That said, I am now being very careful not to swing my legs and use momentum to cheat, so thank you for that warning :)

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 11:44 AM, Harriet said:

I hate single leg squats and lunges

This makes me feel better. Thank you for saying this. (It's not just me!)

Ok, so yesterday went back to "regular" workout. Pretty much stayed the same on weights but went to 12 from 10 on reps/set in some exercises. 

I *did* get through the HIIT circuit Jose prescribed 5x (up from 4). So yay, progress.

Question for all you experienced people. I would like to move my squat up a few pounds; I think my lower body can take it. BUT I am struggling a bit with grip/position, so I have not tried to do so. I read in either Barbell Prescription or Starting Strength that grip for squats should not have the thumb circling the bar for low back squats (even though that is what most beginners default to). Ok, fine, but I don't feel as secure with the thumb-with-the-rest-of-the-fingers on the bar in terms of balance. (I paid attention to my hand placement in the bar to make sure I wasn't sabotaging myself by being unbalanced in the first place.) How do I fix that? Is it a grip thing that will right itself in time?

17 minutes ago, Katerina said:

This makes me feel better. Thank you for saying this. (It's not just me!)

Ok, so yesterday went back to "regular" workout. Pretty much stayed the same on weights but went to 12 from 10 on reps/set in some exercises. 

I *did* get through the HIIT circuit Jose prescribed 5x (up from 4). So yay, progress.

Question for all you experienced people. I would like to move my squat up a few pounds; I think my lower body can take it. BUT I am struggling a bit with grip/position, so I have not tried to do so. I read in either Barbell Prescription or Starting Strength that grip for squats should not have the thumb circling the bar for low back squats (even though that is what most beginners default to). Ok, fine, but I don't feel as secure with the thumb-with-the-rest-of-the-fingers on the bar in terms of balance. (I paid attention to my hand placement in the bar to make sure I wasn't sabotaging myself by being unbalanced in the first place.) How do I fix that? Is it a grip thing that will right itself in time?

Are you saying the position of your hands/thumbs affects your overall balance, or it affects how well you feel the bar is balanced on your back? Honestly, I haven't noticed a difference in overall balance from hand placement. I use thumbs because gripping the bar hard reminds me to be strong. But I'm just a beginner, too. 

4 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Are you saying the position of your hands/thumbs affects your overall balance, or it affects how well you feel the bar is balanced on your back?

The latter, I think. I know (Hooray, isolated exercises) that my left side is weaker than my right, and I feel sometimes I get a little crooked (bar slightly diagonal across back rather than perfectly horizontal). Maybe I should be pushing my hands forward more, consciously? Would switching to wearing tank tops help (friction and skin awareness rather than potential slight slide down fabric)? It's nothing crazy, but I sometimes catch it in the mirror just a bit. Jose hasn't said anything about it, so maybe I am being paranoid. (He has, in the past, called me on my left knee slipping inward a bit.) Damn you, left side weakness! 

3 hours ago, Katerina said:

The latter, I think. I know (Hooray, isolated exercises) that my left side is weaker than my right, and I feel sometimes I get a little crooked (bar slightly diagonal across back rather than perfectly horizontal). Maybe I should be pushing my hands forward more, consciously? Would switching to wearing tank tops help (friction and skin awareness rather than potential slight slide down fabric)? It's nothing crazy, but I sometimes catch it in the mirror just a bit. Jose hasn't said anything about it, so maybe I am being paranoid. (He has, in the past, called me on my left knee slipping inward a bit.) Damn you, left side weakness! 

Hmmm. Well, when I didn't use thumbs, I just pulled down on the bar so it was trapped between my back and my hands. It wasn't going anywhere regardless of whether I was wearing a t-shirt or tank. I think the crookedness might get better if your upper back and shoulders get stronger. I can't say because I don't feel like my upper back gets tight enough when I squat, either. BTW I've seen other people with uneven bars. Maybe it just happens. Let us know what your trainer says.

14 hours ago, Katerina said:

*puts internet lecture hat on*

Well, actually...

*takes internet lecture hat off and throws it in the trash*

Ugh. The worst.

Seriously though.

Grip doesn't really matter right now.

Hand placement can though, for people with a smaller frame or people new to squats it is generally considered better to use a narrow grip. It helps the shoulder blades contract and make sure the back is tight and ready for the lift. It's not necessarily something you NEED to do, but it definitely helps if you can't pack your shoulders and tighten your back without cues. What would recommend as far as grip goes, you may want to learn to get comfortable with the thumbless grip as it will help as can help with pulling the bar into your lats/traps as the weight gets heavier.But it's not something I would worry about right now.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

better to use a narrow grip

I am sorry, but can you define "narrow grip"? 

Incidentally, I am not small. I am 5'9" if this impacts anything. 

2 minutes ago, Katerina said:

I am sorry, but can you define "narrow grip"? 

Here's a quick and easy diagram

Image result for squat hand placement

NARROW                                                                                                 NEUTRAL                                                                                                  WIDE

You'll see in the narrow grip how tightly his shoulder blades are pulled back, even in a relaxed state its going to force the back and shoulders to activate more than the other two hand positions. My shoulder doesn't allow for narrow grip due to a mobility loss after shoulder surgery, but that's how I used to position because of the forced activation, although I dind't know thats why at the time.

Also, please note the narrow grip has thumbs wrapped around as opposed to in line with the fingers. Grip doesn't really matter.

2 minutes ago, Katerina said:

Incidentally, I am not small. I am 5'9" if this impacts anything. 

It doesn't its more of a back width thing than a short/tall/skinny/muscular thing.

Ok, so Jose said my balance (of the bar across my shoulders) was fine. The only reminder he gave me was to make sure I have the bar centered (or myself centered) before I start. I can do that.

So I did make some progress this week, despite being down a workout due to end of semester madness. (Love. Of. God. Just make it end already!) Anyway. . . 

Squats are now at 60 from 55. I got 3x10 at 60, so I might try 65 tomorrow.

Bench press is now 50 from just the bar. Did 10-10-7, but I did 12 warmups at 45, so maybe reducing warmups will fix that tomorrow.

Standing (two hands) dumbbells triceps extensions are at 25 from 20 (8-8-8).

Shoulder presses are still a challenge at 15/hand. 

Curls are still a.challenge at 15/hand.

New exercise: squating cable rows. Started at 27.5. Did 10-12-12 so will move that up next time.

Got a 2nd HIIT routine. Not super thrilled with it; my ankle hurt last night (more jumping than previous routine), but that may be due to out-of-gym clumsiness before the gym (read: running with dogs--badly). Will probably defer another go at that until break. (Original routine does not involve any jumping.)

He didn't have me deadlift yesterday. He said he doesn't like to program squats/deadlifts for the same day, but having poked around, I don't think that is a valid concern at my newbie level. Jury? What do you think? 

Violated a goal and was on FB a little on the weekend. Nothing too much, but yeah, I think I will keep that to a minimum just from the time-wasting perspective. 

Eating has been fine.

Tomorrow *should* be a unilateral day, but I may just not be up for that (end of semester crabby). I may save that for Thursday. The past 4 days have had stupid drama of one form or another; nothing life-altering, but enough to try my ability to be nice. By Thursday, I should be close enough to the end to handle doing something that frustrates me. 

Thank you, @Harriet and @Grumble for your discussion on Harriet''s post. This newbie is paying close attention :)

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Katerina said:

He didn't have me deadlift yesterday. He said he doesn't like to program squats/deadlifts for the same day, but having poked around, I don't think that is a valid concern at my newbie level. Jury? What do you think? 

I would tend to agree with you on this. Your gains are new enough that the extra shock of two of the 'golden 5' lifts in the same day, and you're not focusing on a specific goal other than get stronger. maybe if you start training for a meet or have a more specific or aesthetic strength goal in mind, but otherwise. Lift all the things.

(Golden 5: Bench, Dead, Squat, OHP, Pullup)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Katerina said:

So I did make some progress this week, despite being down a workout due to end of semester madness. (Love. Of. God. Just make it end already!) Anyway. . . 

Thank you, @Harriet and @Grumble for your discussion on Harriet''s post. This newbie is paying close attention :)

Yay Progress! And yay for helpful thread. 

I can't say much about squatting and deadlifting on the same day. I don't do it, even though I'm relatively new to lifting, because I get tired very easily and have to manage that. But most people seem to have much longer periods of linear gains and to not have any fatigue problems, so. But your trainer's programme may also be perfectly good. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Yay Progress! And yay for helpful thread. 

I can't say much about squatting and deadlifting on the same day. I don't do it, even though I'm relatively new to lifting, because I get tired very easily and have to manage that. But most people seem to have much longer periods of linear gains and to not have any fatigue problems, so. But your trainer's programme may also be perfectly good. 

This. Let your trainer, that you're paying, manage your program (obviously provided they aren't doing something stupid or programming against your goals).

• Like 1

The summary:

1- Every day deliberate movement: C. Some weeks were better than others, and end of semester didn't help. Will put this back on the list the 7th, but I may include serious housecleaning as deliberate movement for many reasons of necessity.

2-Social media: B. Did fine until about the last week of the challenge when the semester lasted longer than my interest in it but my mental energy was zapped. Still did better with regard to amount of time. Overall, improvement. Did read quite a bit more.

3-Training: A. I was faithful to 3x/wk, and I progressed with strength, coordination (never my gift), and HIIT. 

I did, however, do something stupid. I moved up my curls weight  (nothing impressive-10 to 15-but still a significant increase for me), got mad when I struggled to hit 7, forced it to 8, and now have tennis elbow and so have to walk that back anyway. I am a big believer in mind over matter (Generally works for me), but I may have to rethink nuance :)

4-Malaise of Winter:A. Honestly, in a lot of ways, I can't take credit for this. The weather on the whole not being brutal helps, as does my time helping with my neighbor's dogs (motivates me to get outside and makes it enjoyable). Then came the surprise that ALL of my kids would be home for Christmas  (hasn't happened in years) and that one of them is moving back to IL in the spring with his wife and baby, so yeah, good stuff!

About that cleaning goal. . . 

I will be stealing a page from Gemma's book next challenge. The son who is moving back with wife and baby is moving in with us (=husband, son, cat) in a not-huge townhouse. There is major reassessing of possessions and living space to be done in the next couple of months. I am excited but also a little nervous. Let the games begin :)

• Like 3

Yay for training awesomeness! Also, congrats on making a little progress on social media and movement, even if they weren't perfect. So you're going to have two sons, one daughter-in-law and one grand baby at home?  

• Thanks 1

So you're going to have two sons, one daughter-in-law and one grand baby at home

Yes, and the little guy is 3, so he is talking and running and generally fun and busy (except when he's tired). :)

• Like 1