Xena wraps up 2018

Xena

On 11/26/2018 at 1:14 AM, Xena said:

Deception Pass 50K

http://www.rainshadowrunning.com/deception-pass-50k.html

...but I'm starting to have some concerns about the tailbone injury (read on for more whining)

Would love to find a good New England race for you...and hopefully join!

Oh that does look really nice. Sorry to hear about your tail bone. That kind of thing can be really painful. I hope that you are able to run even if you do need to go with Plan B. 

We are probably looking to do a trip in 2020, since the vacation into Europe next year (assuming brexit doesn't mean I'm exiled to this little island :( )  is already in motion. But it has been far, far too long since we've been back to New England so there are a lot of reasons for us to make the visit. I definitely want to take the opportunity to do something fun and adventurous while we are there because I was pretty inactive when I lived in CT so it'll let me see a whole new side! 

• Like 3
On 11/20/2018 at 3:43 AM, Xena said:

Also, I’ve started working with a coach, so I need to feel that out.

Interested to know how the coach will change your training, or not. Also about your trip to "Southland"... Antarctica? I still need to catch up a bit.

On 11/26/2018 at 10:30 PM, Maigahane said:

Yum, that looks good. I'll have to file that away to try sometime

I've stolen plenty of cooking ideas from you. Happy to share one :-)

11 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Interested to know how the coach will change your training, or not. Also about your trip to "Southland"... Antarctica? I still need to catch up a bit.

Trip for work. I think I hid it under a spoiler a while back. Super cool opportunity, but I tend to be a little vague about some real life stuff on the forum.

8 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

Bruised my tailbone snowboarding down a run in Breckenridge, CO back in January.

I feel your pain.

Thanks for the thoughts. Was hard for me to formulate a response...too distracted by the Momoa avatar pic.

7 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hope the tail bone isnt TOO painful today :( xx

Thanks Sal, definitely not worse than Sunday.

Today was pretty uneventful. Did a short run. Didn't feel great, but got through the distance without any unnecessary stops. I think I'll try my interval workout tomorrow.

So far so good on the actual challenge goals.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Tailbones are so RUDE. I hope yours heals quickly! 

Rude indeed!! Thanks for the thought.

Did my interval workout today. Well...I did  the core of the workout (3x6 min speeding up throughout the 6 mins), but I meant to do a total of 5 miles. After 4 miles, I was in a enough pain that I walked the last mile home. On the one hand, the workout definitely irritated the injury. On the other hand, I haven't been able to run much for several days, and I wanted to get in one solid workout. I figured if I did it now, I have time to recover from it. It's hard to know if I was right or wrong because (1) I have no idea how long this injury will take to recover from if I do nothing to irritate it, and (2) I have no idea how much various activities delay the recovery. It's frustrating, but in the big picture will be ok.

Tomorrow I'm going to:

1. Do some strength training.

2. Check with my friend about what cardio machine he has at home...I'm pretty sure they have something other than a treadmill that I might be able to use over the next week. I just want to keep doing some low amount of cardio activity to not lose fitness but not hurt myself. I don't really want to re-join the gym right now with my trip coming up so soon. An elliptical or some kind of stair climber would be perfect.

The scored challenge goals are so-far-so-good. So far this week:

3/3Tracking calories on all food that I prepare (I even made a guess at Taco Tuesday last night)

3/3 Drinking my water

3/3 Pushups...this week I'm doing 3 sets of 5 each day. At least the first one of each set is a negative and the rest can be knee pushups. I'll increase difficulty next week.

2/3 Mobility exercises. Will do today's as soon as I sign off. This has become hard because a lot of the things I would normally do strain the injury, so I've had to substitute a lot.

3/3 Daily activity...tomorrow I think I might have to bundle up and walk to get my miles.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

I reactivated my gym membership today. Learned that

1. The elliptical didn't bother my tailbone.

2. The stairclimber was also fine.

This is great! I can do cardio and not worry about making the injury worse. The stairclimber is particularly good to do because my race will have some decent hills...if I get that far.

Surprisingly, strength work was a bigger problem. Dumbbell bench press was really hard because I couldn't roll down from sitting to lying on my back (no big deal, I can use the bar next time and sort of roll sideways. Lifting anything heavy from the ground was hard...and I'm not talking about a hardcore deadlift, just trying to lift the plyobox off the stack so I could use it. Weighted step-ups were a complete no-go. I tried to step up onto that big plyo box while holding 8 lb dumbbells. Nope. Hurt like hell.

Going to focus on things that don't hurt at all (now that I've found some) and avoid everything else.

• Like 9
12 hours ago, Xena said:

1. The elliptical didn't bother my tailbone.

2. The stairclimber was also fine.

This is great! I can do cardio and not worry about making the injury worse. The stairclimber is particularly good to do because my race will have some decent hills

Sweet! Sorry to hear about the other setbacks. But, this is far better than being sidelined from everything. Sending you some healing vibes too...

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c0151026349794b77

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Xena said:

. The stairclimber was also fine.

This is great! I can do cardio and not worry about making the injury worse. The stairclimber is particularly good to do because my race will have some decent hills...if I get that far.

Im glad that you found stuff that doesn’t hurt. I’ve been using the stair climber to supplement my hill work since my injury. It does a really decent job of simulating the long uphill power hikes. 

On 11/30/2018 at 1:03 AM, Elastigirl said:

Sorry, sending a few healing vibes (saving some for myself though) your way.

And sharing them right back with you :-)

On 11/30/2018 at 12:13 AM, Fonzico said:

Were you able to just reactivate your gym membership briefly?

No, but it worked out ok. I only had about two months left. I'll lose a bit but not too much. I've been a member of this place ever since I moved here. They are reasonably priced, and I feel like they could use the business.

On 11/30/2018 at 10:05 AM, jstanlick said:

Sweet! Sorry to hear about the other setbacks. But, this is far better than being sidelined from everything. Sending you some healing vibes too...

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c0151026349794b77

At this point, alien magic is totally welcome.

On 11/30/2018 at 12:41 PM, jonfirestar said:

Im glad that you found stuff that doesn’t hurt. I’ve been using the stair climber to supplement my hill work since my injury. It does a really decent job of simulating the long uphill power hikes. 

Thanks Jon! And yeah, one of my ultra-running heroes swears by that thing.

On 11/30/2018 at 3:58 PM, Taffythecat said:

Sorry about the injury! That must suck. I'm following.

It's annoying but honestly not so bad. Most injuries I would get as a runner are a little more nebulous as to whether/how they will heal. This one isn't so bad. And welcome!

On 12/1/2018 at 2:18 AM, Morag said:

Grrrrr the painful movements! Glad you found some things to do while you wait for the healing to commence.

All the hugs and more healing vibes, of course!

4b3f69d871fc40caa62465cb067f8169.jpg

Sent from my phone via Tapatalk

Thanks Katrin! I love that picture so much :-)

• Like 2
On 11/19/2018 at 8:43 PM, Xena said:
  • Eat like an athlete! I'll do whatever running training I can before the race, but focusing on diet is probably the biggest impact I can have. Nothing major, just geared toward general health and a bit of weight watching. I've recently switched to mostly vegetarian diet and want to track a little better how much I am actually putting on my plate. I may re-evaluate these criteria after my race, but this is what I'm doing for at least the first two weeks

• Track all meals that I prepare myself. Don't worry so much about meals out, they are frustrating to account for.
    • Drink at least one liter of water every day.
    • Drink alcohol (moderately) only on social occasions.
  • Some kind of mobility work every day. I've got some good routines, focused mainly on my back and hips. Just want to make sure I do it and feel like I'm getting "credit" for it.
  • Pushups! There will be a pushup goal. Honestly this is a vanity goal. I'll be working out in a small shared space, and I want to look strong :-)  I'm going to ramp up a little during zero week and then figure out a target for this.
  • Daily activity. My watch has a daily activity tracker. I have it set at the lowest level. I only have to think about it on days that I don't run. I need to make sure I get my heart rate up a little by walking, cross-training or whatever. I think this is a healthy thing to do and just takes a little bit of attention.

6 out of 7 on the mobility. It is just much less appealing now that some exercises are off the table and I don't have all the normal tightness from running. But I think I might be healing a bit and maybe could try a more standard yoga session tomorrow.

7 out of 7 on everything else. The hardest thing was mobility on the one day I didn't do a proper cardio workout. I did some stretching, pushups and gentle yoga. Then I bundled up and walked outside for two miles. That only got me to 44%. I kept thinking the tracker had to be wrong...but then since I don't really know what it tracks, it's hard to say. Kind of a weird goal since I don't even know what it's measuring, but it somehow works because it forces me to move around a little more on rest days. I think that's a good thing.

A couple bonus points from various things, so I get a reward this week. About $10 toward a music download, kindle book or similar.

I've done about an hour of cardio in the gym both yesterday and today. Now I'm officially actually tapering and will do 30-45 min the next few days. On Wednesday I think I'll try jogging 2 miles and see how that feels. Will help me gauge my expectations for the race.

Pushup progress is going well. This week I'll stay with 3x5, trying to do as many of them as negatives as possible. Saturday (race day) is excused. Sunday can be scaled as much as necessary depending on how I'm feeling.

• Like 7
23 minutes ago, Xena said:

Then I bundled up and walked outside for two miles. That only got me to 44%. I kept thinking the tracker had to be wrong...but then since I don't really know what it tracks, it's hard to say. Kind of a weird goal since I don't even know what it's measuring, but it somehow works because it forces me to move around a little more on rest days. I think that's a good thing.

Sure seems like a good thing. Anything that encourages you to move more is a good idea in today's world of sitting.

23 minutes ago, Xena said:

Now I'm officially actually tapering and will do 30-45 min the next few days. On Wednesday I think I'll try jogging 2 miles and see how that feels. Will help me gauge my expectations for the race.

This sounds reasonable to me. Plus, you don't want to go to Washington and have your expectations set way too high or for that matter too low.

• Like 1