• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Cheetah

Cheetah participates in Ugly Sweater Day.

I've let my fitness slide lately.  I'm putting a little weight back on, and I'm not really cool with that.  I'm okay with just maintaining for a while, but I need to at least stay where I am, and not gain weight.  I also have gotten considerably weaker since I stopped lifting a couple of months ago.  I haven't picked up a barbell to see how far down my big lifts have fallen, but I was up to six chinups and now I can just manage one.  So I want to work on strength training as well.  Healthy eating, healthy exercising, healthy body.  That's the goal.

I don't want to go back to tracking calories again.  I want to try out intuitive eating, but the book hasn't come in at the library yet, and I don't really want to buy it.  I guess I can't shake the feeling that it's not going to work for me, and I don't want to sink money into a lost cause.  So for the time being, I'm just going to stick with the pattern of eating that has been working for me during the week, which is to say eating mostly eggs and beans and not a lot else.  It's cool; I love eggs and beans.  My big eating challenge remains the weekends.  Without the structure of my everyday food prep, I make bad decisions on the fly.  I do feel like the last few weeks have been slightly better, but not by much.  I need to master this.  I'm just not sure how. 

I do need to exercise.  But I also need to be realistic about it.  Tank and I came to the same conclusion at about the same time, that doing what can be done in the time available is preferable to doing nothing because the time is not available to do the best thing.  It's a perfectionism thing.  So my goal is to get in 3 bodyweight workouts each week.  I'm going to copycat Tank and start with the NF beginner bodyweight workout.  Seems like a good idea, and I don't want to risk overthinking this into inaction, so I'm just going with it.  If I find I have time for extra exercise, I'll go take a brisk walk.  Walks are awesome and I love them, and they don't have to be long to be good for my soul.

I'm adding back an old goal that I haven't done in a long time.  Ukulele.  I'm badly out of practice.  My goal is to pick it up and play just one song every day.  If I get a chance to record a song for you lovely people, I will, but I'm not making any promises, because time is short these days.

TL;DR

1 - Eat rational foods

2 - 3 BW workouts per week

3 - Ukulele every day

• Like 16

Good plan on adjusting the approach!    I was going to offer the idea of shipping you my Intuitive Eating book that I am not using - but if I recall, you're on the east side of the Big Pond - so shipping would probably be more than just buying it hah.

Damn.  Blast.

Over the last two challenges, I keep reaffirming the idea for myself, that it matters a lot less in WHAT you do, and matters far more in how consistently you do it.   So doing something when you can and over the long haul will net better progress than NOT doing the thing you think is the perfect thing to do, that you can't consistently do because Life. :D

You're doing great in figuring out all the pieces.    And you've got a solid plan to start ya off!

tenor.gif?itemid=8462703

• Like 3

15 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Looks like a good challenge.  I'll be following along (in large part just to see all of the creative title changes along the way :P )

I'll try not to disappoint.  ;-)

14 hours ago, Salinger said:

Good luck Cheetah, and ill hope we see some videos of the uke playing :) xx

I guess we'll see!

13 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Sounds like you've got a good challenge! Good luck with your experiments into intuitive eating! 

Thanks!

10 hours ago, deftona said:

Following along so I can BeatlesMania you when you post your videos. 

I put the link for my YT in my sig line so you can watch them over and over and over.  :-P

10 hours ago, shaar said:

I too love eggs and beans.

Are you gonna play...... A CHRISTMAS SONG??

Maybe.  The thing is, most of those songs were written for piano and/or organ, and they're terribly difficult to play on a guitar or ukulele, because they use all manner of wacky chords that are easy to do with two hands but next to impossible with one hand.  So they don't translate well.  Having said that, I know that people do it all the time, so I'm sure there's a way.  I'll look into it.  If I can find a satisfactory arrangement for a song that isn't too annoying, I might give it a try. 

Humbug.  :-P

9 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Good plan on adjusting the approach!    I was going to offer the idea of shipping you my Intuitive Eating book that I am not using - but if I recall, you're on the east side of the Big Pond - so shipping would probably be more than just buying it hah.

Damn.  Blast.

Over the last two challenges, I keep reaffirming the idea for myself, that it matters a lot less in WHAT you do, and matters far more in how consistently you do it.   So doing something when you can and over the long haul will net better progress than NOT doing the thing you think is the perfect thing to do, that you can't consistently do because Life. :D

You're doing great in figuring out all the pieces.    And you've got a solid plan to start ya off!

I actually live in Indiana.  But you don't need to ship me a book; I'll wait until the library gets it in.  I'm sure I'll find pants that still fit in the meantime.  ;-)

7 hours ago, Raxie said:

Eggs and beans are delicious! Excited to hear some uke! :)

Yes, they are.  Interestingly, I don't usually have them together.

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I've made many a meal of refried beans and scrambled eggs.

I have not.  Perhaps I will.

• Like 5

So far:

I haven't done much.  This week has been a bit mad.  Yesterday I spent all morning running around town and I never got to doing a workout.  Today I went on a field trip with my daughter, and just had time to get to work after.  I'd do a workout here at work, but I literally can not do it in these pants.  I am determined to do one tomorrow.  I've got shopping to do, but I can take 15 min and do the circuit once or twice.

Food has been reasonably good, I think.  Monday I had meatloaf and rice.  Today I had a bagel for breakfast and beans for lunch/dinner.  I've actually still got some beans left because I got full and didn't finish them.  I might have them for breakfast with some eggs; we'll see.  ;-)  I'm sure I had a few sweeties yesterday and I know I had a few today, but nothing like a binge.  Just a little treat for fun and sanity.  I'm totally good with it, especially since I had a strong impulse to have a quart of ice cream for lunch today, and didn't.

I have not ukulele'd yet this week.  I don't honestly know if I will... Maybe I will tomorrow.  But with the holiday, the week is only getting more and more nuts.  So I don't know; we'll see.  I'm not pressuring myself, because part of the point of this challenge is being okay with what I can do. 

The field trip was pretty cool.  We went to James Whitcomb Riley's house.  They turned it into a museum when he died in 1916, and it's perfectly preserved in the state that he left it 100 years ago.  Lots of gorgeous old woodwork and beautiful art on the walls, and shelves of old books in every room.  Oh, and while we were there I saw a red-tailed hawk swoop down and snatch a squirrel up off of the side lawn.  Raptors 1 Squirrels 0.

While I was waiting around for the field trip to start I had a couple of hours to kill, so I went to a coffee shop near the school that I hadn't been to before.  This is where I picked up the aforementioned bagel.  It was a nice place.  Friendly staff, not too crowded.  I'll go again next time I have to wait around the neighborhood for my kids.  Unless the weather is nice; then I'll go walk the multi-use trail that runs nearby.  Or something completely different.  I'm a free spirit, didn't you know?

Okay, I have to walk away from this desk; I've been sitting here for hours and hours.  I'm going to go do some pushups and toe touches.  I can't squat in these pants, but I can do something.

Edit:  I can too squat in these pants.  I did two circuits of squats, pushups, and toe touches.  Workout accomplished.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Edit:  I can too squat in these pants.  I did two circuits of squats, pushups, and toe touches.  Workout accomplished.

Way to show those pants who's boss

• Like 2

6 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Way to show those pants who's boss

One must needs master one's pants.

5 hours ago, deftona said:

Do you guys have grey squirrels, red squirrels, or both?

Mostly red, but there are a few grays in the woods.  Here in Indiana, the grays are protected from hunting, and you never see them in town.  In the suburbs, the reds get as big as rabbits, and they're very cheeky.

3 hours ago, Salinger said:

I might practice some guitar today!

Hope you have a wonderful day Cheetah xx

You should!  And you as well!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We actually have a few black squirrels down here in Texas.

I have never heard of such a thing. 

We had lots of red squirrels until the grey ones came over from the Americas and almost wiped them out. Ship us some red ones, will ya. They're protected species here.

10 hours ago, deftona said:
15 hours ago, Cheetah said:

snatch a squirrel

Do you guys have grey squirrels, red squirrels, or both?

I skimmed a bit catching up, missed context, and suddenly thought you were doing some kind of weird no weight workout with rodents. Or this:

90556.jpg

I'm less excited now.

Also;

15 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Okay, I have to walk away from this desk; I've been sitting here for hours and hours.  I'm going to go do some pushups and toe touches.  I can't squat in these pants, but I can do something.

You can always squat. The question is can you wear the pants again after the squatting. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

We actually have a few black squirrels down here in Texas.

I've heard of them, but I don't think I've ever seen one.

3 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Following for the ukelele!

That's a good reason!

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That surprises me. I thought they were Canadian mutants.

I think there's a lot we don't know about squirrels...

2 hours ago, deftona said:

I have never heard of such a thing. 

We had lots of red squirrels until the grey ones came over from the Americas and almost wiped them out. Ship us some red ones, will ya. They're protected species here.

Funny old world.  Sorry about your squirrels.  The best ones here fly.  Do you have flying squirrels?

2 hours ago, Arkania said:

What? Did I hear ukulele? I'M IN!

Oh, yes.  I just put my YT in my sig line.  I only have two videos on it so far, but I'll try to add a few more this challenge.

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Following. I hope you'll give me some inspiration to pick up my ukulele again. 

You definitely should!  I'll try to get a video up soon.  ;-)

1 hour ago, Sylvaa said:

I skimmed a bit catching up, missed context, and suddenly thought you were doing some kind of weird no weight workout with rodents. Or this:

90556.jpg

I'm less excited now.

Also;

You can always squat. The question is can you wear the pants again after the squatting. 

I feel like Flying Squirrel should be a kung-fu style. 

Sadly, I need to keep these pants for a while.  Happily, I did not tear the butt out of them squatting.  Tonight I'll try it again and see if my luck holds.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cheetah said:

Oh, yes.  I just put my YT in my sig line.  I only have two videos on it so far, but I'll try to add a few more this challenge.

GAAA! It's a ukelele Rickroll!!!

Gaaa.png

J/K, that's actually well played.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

GAAA! It's a ukelele Rickroll!!!

J/K, that's actually well played.

It's my beautiful and discerning wife's favourite song for me to play.  Actually, the chords are really interesting and fun.  :-)

Today is going well.  My beautiful wife and children were off from work and school, so after breakfast and grocery shopping, we took them to see Ralph Breaks the Internet.  It was a fun movie with plenty of jokes for the grownups.  Good times.

Food has been good today.  Scrambled eggs with a whif of cheddar for breakfast.  Pizza for lunch, in sane quantity.  Fried chicken and cornbread for dinner, and a couple of pieces of pie because here at my working place we did a Thanksgiving food event for the students, and Cheetah don't pass on Pie.  But I only had two rational pieces of pie, so I'm totally good with that.

I'll get a workout in tomorrow amid the Turkey-Day chaos, and I plan to do another Saturday.  Also this weekend there will be a lot of leaf raking and probably at least one walk around the neighborhood.  So that will do for that.

Still no ukulele time.  However, one of my students brought a guitar, and I let him show me a few chords.  It's definitely different from the uke, but I think I could actually learn to play one some day.  Maybe I'll buy myself a guitar for a graduation present?  That could be fun!  Something to think about anyway.

Also in news, some silly person made me an ambassador of our fine clan.  As in all things, I shall endeavour to do my best.  ;-)

• Like 10