Yasha’s Yoga, Ride, Walk, Water Challenge

Yasha92

Hello friends! Long time no update, my apologies for that. Since we last spoke (or thereabouts) I have started a new job and it is excellent. The work itself is much of a muchness, but my team is great and my boss is just fine (a big step up from before). I am on a fixed term contract for 10 more months, but the person whose parental leave I am backfilling has taken another role for when she returns so at the end of my contract this role I am filling ‘temporarily’ will become available permanently and I plan on applying for it.

Mr and I moved to the city where my new job is located. After being convinced for many years that I was a country person and could never live in this particular big city I have been pleasantly surprised to discover that I really love it here. Our house doesn’t feel like city living (in a block of 4 in an old art-deco building) and has a backyard where I have been able to put in some garden beds, there are trees that touch the house and because we are on the upstairs level it feels like we live in a treehouse. We are a 20min train ride or 45min bike ride away from the city centre that means if we want to we can go in to the hustle and bustle but we aren’t in the thick of it. I have also started riding to work on occasion as the cars here are used to seeing cyclists on the road.

Despite the bags and bags of ‘stuff’ that left our house pre-move I’ve been steadily decluttering further, partially fuelled by my recent fascination with the #vanlife and #tinyhouse movements. Mr is a ‘hard no’ on living full time in a van, but it has opened my eyes to just how little stuff people really need. At the very least it should help us to be more mindful of not letting waves of Giftmas excess into our home. I have already ‘opted out’ of two rounds of secret santa and ‘opted in’ to the donation tree.

I’m still on my medication and the doctor I last saw suggested staying on it for now until things really settle. I took myself off for three days unexpectedly (why do we do that?) and she was right, so I shall continue taking them as prescribed.

I think that more or less covers it. To the goal-mobile!

1.       Monday Yoga. One of my team members runs a free, weekly, hour-long Yoga session in lunch which I strongly support. If for whatever reason I cannot make it (meetings coming out the wazoo this time of year) I will do a Yoga with Adrianne at home instead.

2.       Ride to work 3 days / week. Pretty self-explanatory EXCEPT I like to make thing complicated, so this could be ride from home to work and work to home on the same day, or home to work then leave the bike at work and then ride the bike home from work the next day. Three double rides, OR six half rides (impossible, requires coming in on a weekend!), OR a combo two double + two halves/ one double + four halves (confused yet?!)

3.       Walk each evening for 30mins – preferably with Mr. I have been doing a fair bit of reading about exercise and Depression and the effects of even a half hour walk seem to be extremely beneficial. In a way this goal is a bit of a ‘white lie’, as I will be using my ‘need’ to go for half-hour walks in the evening to try and get Mr walking for half an hour (for my safety). To be convincing I need to walk even if he doesn’t come with.

4.       Drink more water (3 blue bottles of water+). I have a waterbottle. It’s blue. I need to fill it with ‘water’ and empty it into my tummy three times. Herbal tea counts. Cordial does not.

• Like 7

Quotable template for ease:

Monday Yoga 1/5

Ride to Work 2/3, /3, /3, /3, /3.

Walk 30mins * * * * F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S

Drink more water * * * * F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S

Also, did I mention I have a new favourite wall?

dd36cbc6111e5c6fa581a3ff79c59b07.jpg

Or that I work at Hogwarts?

b133505f4ddb933378bb7065410ba492.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 5

Starting zero week (the first of my five weeks till giftmas).

Because I only logged in today to check the dates of the next challenge my goals were not yet set yesterday (Monday). I still did yoga and drank my water and rode my bike, so all yesses except the walk which is a pass based on not yet being a goal XD. Today (Tuesday) I caught the bus (I am trying to alternate the days I ride/don't ride my bike to assist with tushie tenderness) to work, worked then caught the bus home. I drank plenty of water (at least three bottles) and also some herbal tea because my hands tend to hurt the day after a bike ride and holding a nice hot mug of tea helps soothe them. When I got home Mr and I went for a 45min walk while we were waiting for dinner to finish cooking. We saw lots of interesting plants and several birds I couldn't identify. A very pleasant walk.

Monday Yoga 1/5

Ride to Work 1/3, /3, /3, /3, /3.

Walk 30mins * * * T F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S

Drink more water * * * T F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

Also, did I mention I have a new favourite wall?

Implying that you had an old favourite wall? 

Following along! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

strava - myfitnesspal - Instagram

2019 Roadmap

Spoiler

" Always aim for something stupidly crazy." - Charlie Quinn

2019 Races: Cliveden MTR 06/01 | Nuts Challenge 02/03 | Reading Half Marathon 17/03 | W.A.R 27/04 | RRDW 11/05 | Nuclear Oblivion 19/05 | Man vs Lakes 20/07 | Spartan Trifecta Weekend 05-06/10 | OCRWC 11-13/10

Current Challenge: First Steps

Previous Challenges: 12 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24

Here for the combo two double! :) Sounds like a lot of waves have been in your life with the move, but I'm glad you and Mr are enjoying yourselves in the big city :D

Wolf

• Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

Implying that you had an old favourite wall? 

Following along! 

Ohyes, I love me a green wall XD do you not have a favourite wall? You should get one, then whenever you run past it you’ll go “that’s my favourite wall” - it’s good for you

Welcome aboard!

Here for the combo two double! [emoji4] Sounds like a lot of waves have been in your life with the move, but I'm glad you and Mr are enjoying yourselves in the big city [emoji3]

Wolf

Lots of ups and downs [but still no behbehs eeeeeeey].

I’m very happy here and it’s nice to be happy again ^_^ Mr is struggling, but it’s not the worst I’ve seen him and he is always a bit rattled by change. He’ll come good again. He’s also relieved that I am ok again and for now that’s enough.

• Like 1

I'm so glad that it is going so well for you. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

12 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I'm so glad that it is going so well for you. 

Me too. Thank you for witnessing me not doing so well, I am glad I'm still around to do better :)

• Like 1

Week Zero, 1/5 Wednesday:

Rode my bike in to work a little earlier today so I could try a new route... I got a little lost and while I did find some nice roads to ride on none of them really got me to my destination and I did have to ride a fair way along ScaryStreet tm to get there in the end. I made it just in time to jump in the shower and get changed before heading over to the other side of campus to attend an awards ceremony because my uncle-colleague* was nominated for this prestigious award. I had insider information that he was going to win and I was tasked with getting him there on time (his desk is next to mine) because he's both shy and a smoker and they were sure he was going to be outside having a puff when they announced it. Knowing that he was going to win and with the BigBoss' blessing I encouraged the team to go a little bit bananas and everyone took a ruler with a cutout of his face stuck to it to wave like those big footy hands, I brought in some confetti cannons and party 'tooters'? whistles? (what are those things called?) and doled them out beforehand 'in case he wins'. The team went absolutely ballistic when he won which was well deserved and good for team morale. It did mean that the whole day felt like a Friday not a Wednesday though, so I imagine it'll be a weird (but probably good) vibe tomorrow.

*uncle-colleague or brother-colleague kind of seems the best way to describe it, my boss supervises two team leaders, myself and this chap and we each in turn supervise a team (and chap has the 'step children' of a new team that's only sort of a team but we still love them equally to our other children). If I had to really stretch to put a familial descriptor to him and I I think we are really the cooky aunts.

Riding home I had lots of practice using the 4th rule of the city cycling class that I went to: "ride graciously". I've told myself that the two cars that beeped at me as they were going past were just trying to let me know they were there (the same as when I ring my bell to alert pedestrians not to step out in front of me), that the taxi driver who shouted out his winder "go faster!" as I was pedalling as hard as I could up the hill was cheering me on not mocking me, I gave lots of 'thank you' waves and I let people in whenever it was safe to do so. I also didn't poke out my tongue at the lady who overtook me illegally and unsafely when I caught up to her at the lights and then passed her (but ooooh I wanted to). I am on the lookout for a quieter street for the ride home that will get me there almost as fast, there is a good section of 'old' road which isn't too busy but I need to find some more side streets so I'm off the main road. I am also suffering mega chub-rub from thinking I could wear shorts to ride... turns out not -_-

Mr was super kind and arranged to have dinner on the table for me as I hopped out of my second cold shower of the day. After dinner we went for a half hour walk together. He did go "but you're riding to work, why did you choose two exercise goals you noodle?" and I was all innocence: I don't knooooow, silly meeeee! ... >.> <.<

We saw lots of bats and a few funny street names. We walked down the main street and while it was interesting to see how far we could get in 15mins (then turn and 15back) I prefer walking along the side streets looking at the gardens.

Just about to drink the last of my third refill of water to take my meds with, I also had a glass or two of water at the pub-lunch to celebrate the win (I also didn't spend any money on lunch so that was a win). Raking in those stars.

• Like 4
25 minutes ago, Salinger said:

wow what a great update, so happy to see you settled Yasha !!!! Following along :) xx

Yay, happy to have you Sal!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

Riding home I had lots of practice using the 4th rule of the city cycling class that I went to: "ride graciously". I've told myself that the two cars that beeped at me as they were going past were just trying to let me know they were there (the same as when I ring my bell to alert pedestrians not to step out in front of me), that the taxi driver who shouted out his winder "go faster!" as I was pedalling as hard as I could up the hill was cheering me on not mocking me, I gave lots of 'thank you' waves and I let people in whenever it was safe to do so. I also didn't poke out my tongue at the lady who overtook me illegally and unsafely when I caught up to her at the lights and then passed her (but ooooh I wanted to). I am on the lookout for a quieter street for the ride home that will get me there almost as fast, there is a good section of 'old' road which isn't too busy but I need to find some more side streets so I'm off the main road. I am also suffering mega chub-rub from thinking I could wear shorts to ride... turns out not -_-

First of all, I love the rule of riding graciously. Secondly, you handled those drivers a whole lot better than I would have (I default to the most ungracious road rage). It's both reassuring and slightly horrifying to hear city drivers react to cyclists the same everywhere, I mean, it's pretty easy to just not be an ass towards cyclists... I really hope you can find yourself a quieter route so you don't have to deal with that all the time.

• Like 3

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

I love how you bought all the fun stuff so you and your workmates could cheer on your uncle-colleague!

I have not yet decided whether it is scary or cool to see bats on our walks. In one way it is kind of cool, but I am always a bit nervous one is going to swoop down and land on me

• Like 2

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

First of all, I love the rule of riding graciously. Secondly, you handled those drivers a whole lot better than I would have (I default to the most ungracious road rage). It's both reassuring and slightly horrifying to hear city drivers react to cyclists the same everywhere, I mean, it's pretty easy to just not be an ass towards cyclists... I really hope you can find yourself a quieter route so you don't have to deal with that all the time.

It is a rule I have to keep reminding myself of, because my default is road rage too. It helps that I am not confident enough to look someone in the eye and take my hand off the bars to give them the finger XD

Apparently there is a cyclist map which I can get for free by emailing my council which will show me the cyclist friendly streets. Their site was down when I checked on Monday but I hope to get that sorted soon ^_^

Following.

Curious to find out if you'll get Mr. to come on the daily walks as well. [emoji4]

Two out of two successes so far! Hoping to continue along that vein.

Ps. LOVE THE HAIR [emoji4]

Thank youuuu! Me too! Makes sense since 85% of my wardrobe is tones of blue.

I love how you bought all the fun stuff so you and your workmates could cheer on your uncle-colleague!

I have not yet decided whether it is scary or cool to see bats on our walks. In one way it is kind of cool, but I am always a bit nervous one is going to swoop down and land on me

I like bats, but it still a bit frightening to experience them suddenly and unexpectedly! On our old street there was a tree where they slept and walking or riding past would sometimes scare them out of the tree and they would take flight with a clatter or branches like a foot above your head - one almost crashed into Mr once but he ducked in time. These are big fruit bats too (2ft wingspan) so they’d cop a fair whallop if they hit you. Interestingly the vegetarian bats are great pollinators, as important as bees in this part of the world ^_^

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Yasha92 said:

bats, but it still a bit frightening to experience them suddenly and unexpectedly! On our old street there was a tree where they slept and walking or riding past would sometimes scare them out of the tree and they would take flight with a clatter or branches like a foot above your head - one almost crashed into Mr once but he ducked in time. These are big fruit bats too (2ft wingspan) so they’d cop a fair whallop if they hit you. Interestingly the vegetarian bats are great pollinators, as important as bees in this part of the world ^_^

Oh my , the ones around here are small. I usually just think it's a small bird flying by, then in the streetlight  I see that it's a bat

But then, you live where they are much scarier reptiles, insects  and mammals than bats. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Yasha92 said:

It is a rule I have to keep reminding myself of, because my default is road rage too. It helps that I am not confident enough to look someone in the eye and take my hand off the bars to give them the finger XD

Apparently there is a cyclist map which I can get for free by emailing my council which will show me the cyclist friendly streets. Their site was down when I checked on Monday but I hope to get that sorted soon ^_^

...I do that more often than I should, among other things. I don't really like sharing the road with other people when I'm driving, and it only gets worse when I'm on my bike and cars are actively trying to take me out.

Here's hoping the council site is up and running soon so you can get that map!

And honestly, I'm kind of envious about your bat situation. I've never seen a fruit bat in person, so to speak, and would actually love to. I don't actually think I've seen any bats at all since moving to the city, though I saw them almost nightly when I lived in the country. Mostly little pipistrelles, but they were fun to watch.

• Like 1

"The old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.

From the ashes a fire shall be woken, a light from the shadows shall spring."

Yeti on Flickr - Facebook - Instagram

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Oh my , the ones around here are small. I usually just think it's a small bird flying by, then in the streetlight  I see that it's a bat

But then, you live where they are much scarier reptiles, insects  and mammals than bats. 

Ooooh, microbats! So cute! (But don't touch them with your bare hands, if you need to rescue one use a towel or a jumper or something).

True, insects are pretty brutal here, the cat caught a roach today that was huge! I hate roaches. I am always careful to wear shoes in the garden now because there is a type of spider here that is really poisonous and I'd rather not get bit.

12 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

...I do that more often than I should, among other things. I don't really like sharing the road with other people when I'm driving, and it only gets worse when I'm on my bike and cars are actively trying to take me out.

Here's hoping the council site is up and running soon so you can get that map!

And honestly, I'm kind of envious about your bat situation. I've never seen a fruit bat in person, so to speak, and would actually love to. I don't actually think I've seen any bats at all since moving to the city, though I saw them almost nightly when I lived in the country. Mostly little pipistrelles, but they were fun to watch.

I love the fruitbats. A bit stinky though.

• Like 3

Zero week Thursday 1/5

Caught the bus to work and got caught in a sudden downpour. Glad that today was a bus day not a bike day because in addition to the rain we had a dust storm roll in and there were a bunch of warnings saying to stay inside etc. I will bus in tomorrow to be safe because apparently it may get worse before it gets better and I'm not risking a post-apocalyptic dust storm to ride to work O_O. Partly because of the dust I ended up drinking 5 waterbottles worth of water/herbal tea today. In the afternoon Mr and I went grocery shopping - we walked to the cheap grocery store then home with the groceries, then to the expensive grocery store to get the things Aldis didn't have then back home with those groceries. All in all it was approx half an hour of walking, so, counts!

Monday Yoga 1/5

Ride to Work 2/3, /3, /3, /3, /3.

Walk 30mins * * * * F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S

Drink more water * * * * F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S / M,T,W,T,F,S,S

• Like 2

Oh noooooo! The duuuuuuust!

2c6ed194a626538652878225eb467b19.jpg

Pfft

Not very good at updating over the weekend it seems...

Friday, bussed to and from work because of the risk of dust which turned out to be non existent. Went back to Best Lady’s for housewarmings and board games. Drank plenty of water and also plenty of spiced rum. I rarely get drunk so that was unusual. Spent the night. Might have technically met the walking goal roaming around looking for her house but it was not a planned event.

Saturday, plenty of water because I had a bit of a hangover. Slept in then drove Best Lady’s car back to our new house for DnD (she plays too and would drive the car home). Highlight was helping another friend who slept over jump start his car coz he had a flat battery. I’ve been a bit nervous about jumping a car ever since I set one on fire three years ago (long story).

Sunday, not enough water. Did do the half hour walk with Mr when we went to a comedy show in the city and got off the bus a stop too early. Luckily it was a beautiful day... not sure why we were so shiny...

c2021afdc23e1fc2be3fbcede857cdfc.jpg

Monday. Back on track. Yoga’d. Rode my bike in to work and bussed home coz my back was making warning tingles. Half a point. Drank six cups of herbal tea and a bunch of water and visited the bathroom every five mins (or so it felt like).

While we were at Best Lady’s she said something in passing about us never being able to afford a house (or to that effect) and it really upset both Mr and I. We went over our budget together and steeled our resolve. By our maths even if Mr doesn’t get a job (and he’s planning to) we can save a deposit in five years, so that’s the current plan.

• Like 2

Aw, sweet picture.  You guys look adorable. Yay for making a plan to buy a house. And hopefully your friend will see the power of budgeting. I think people say things like that, meaning they never could. But,I think when people make budgets for their money they can often afford more than they realize

• Like 1

On 11/20/2018 at 9:08 PM, Yasha92 said:

Ohyes, I love me a green wall XD do you not have a favourite wall? You should get one, then whenever you run past it you’ll go “that’s my favourite wall” - it’s good for you

Even better when it is in your own garden! ;) 

11 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

not sure why we were so shiny...

Because when i think if you, you are always shining!

Good to see you again T!

• Like 1

... a little odd in the head ...