I haven’t exactly been rocking my goals lately, but I find that I try harder and ultimately do better for myself when I have them. So… I’m back again! The most recent "about me" can be found in my previous challenge. Otherwise, we'll figure it out as we go along.

For this challenge my Inspirational Witch is Tiffany Aching, or, really most of the witches of Discworld.

4bddebd5eeeb7c3be5942725b9ff6738.jpg

I adore these no nonsense ladies, and this line in particular has me right now:

Even if it’s not your fault, it’s your responsibility. Witches deal with things.

I'm not the sort of person who generally casts fault but I could do better at dealing with things. It’s the holidays which is always jam-packed and in addition, I have three trips of 5+ days in the diary during this challenge which doesn't make anything easy, let alone taking care of myself. So I’m going to start by dealing with my own self-care (because I can't help others if I'm not functional, and the Enting only has one mummy):

• Some way, some how, get in that 10k steps.
  • Some way, some how, get in that 2L of water.
  • Some way, some how, write 100 words a day on fiction or nonfiction.

My aspiration is every day. 

Spoiler: I won’t hit every day!

But by trying to do it every day, I’m going to hit it more often than I would otherwise.

Let's go deal with things.

Tiffanyquote.jpg.f629fdf66cd4b3672ded16fa888dbb30.jpg

• Like 6

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Epic Quest: Tales of Owlshire 
Instagram

Re: Dealing with things

A few days a go, I was out with the Enting with friends, and as I left for home it became clear that the Tube was a mess (on top of being rush hour) and road traffic was a joke--a bus or taxi would have taken forever.

I'd just bought new shoes that still needed breaking in. I had brought Enting in the ring sling, which is my least comfortable long-term carrying option.

And then, in those new boots and less comfortable sling with my 9.5kg baby and a not-exactly-light rucksack, I walked home over three miles in the cold and dark because it seemed, in the moment, the best way to get us home. While walking, stopping to adjust Enting for the upteenth time, and carrying on I couldn't help but think about how if it had been any other situation bearing that heavy of a load, I probably would have just wimped out. But the only way that kid was getting home via me, and not getting him home wasn't an option.

One of those things that impressed on me during pregnancy, childbirth, and parenthood is how much I'm willing to Deal With Things if the Enting is involved. There is no question: sick as dog? Enting still has to be cared for. Insomniac night and feel like death warmed over? I don't take the day off. When I thought I might be getting PND and that I might not be able to care for Enting if things got too dark, I immediately reached out for help, after not doing it about my own depression for decades.  Getting my bloods drawn countless times after having avoided it because I hated the process for nearly 20 years? Stick me. Using almost no pain relief to keep a high risk, complicated birth from potentially escalating in greater complications? I guess I'd better take a deep breath and get on with it...

I'm constantly boggled at the things I'll just Deal With on Enting's behalf. I really need to learn to channel some of that Deal With It for me.

• Like 8

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Instagram

2 hours ago, annyshay said:

You ma'am, are a badass.

Seconding this!!  Enting is very lucky to have such a supermama! :DDD

• Like 2

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

» visit me @ my BATTLE LOG~

My maiden name is often translated to "from the chicken valley."

I used to keep free-ranging, backyard hens. I have aspired to do it again, someday, when we actually live somewhere with a garden.

Soft cooked eggs are one of my favorite foods.

So we are very chagrined to have confirmed this morning that the Enting is, indeed, allergic to eggs >_<

I have been muttering "switched at birth" to him at varying intervals. 

(But more seriously, we think it's from Mr's genetics, as it's common with families who have eczema, asthma, hay fever, etc. All of which Mr has :P)

• Sad 2

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Instagram

Bad luck on the allergy.  :-(  Sometimes they grow out of them.  Sometimes.  Genetics are dumb.

• Like 1

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Oh no not eggs!!!! :[  And FRESH eggs at that, nothing like 'em.... <3

• Like 1

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...

Sorry about the allergy, mon amie :( that's tough! you've probably got everything about that handled already but, just to say, eggs in baking and such are one of the easiest swaps to make. There's flaxseed, banana  ( if little one can have those ), applesauce, chickpea water, yogurt...so many potential substitutes! Doesn't help on the omelette or boiled egg front of course, but hope remains while the company is true as they say :)

On 11/20/2018 at 5:19 AM, Ann of Vries said:

I walked home over three miles in the cold and dark because it seemed, in the moment, the best way to get us home.

This is honestly amazing and i just want to say GO YOU! It was what had to be done but it's still brilliant that you did it! Fortitude huh!

• Like 1

Matthew 25:34-40

Oh goodness, I didn't mean to disappear. I always forget that the convention is in the middle of nowhere (poor cellular quality), and our lodgings far away from the central wifi. So I was disconnected largely for the weekend--and I like having time disconnected, I just sort of like to plan it first XD

I did pretty decent on the whole 10k steps at least, and okay at the 2L water and 100 words goals. So that's something....

The convention was fun, although getting there was getting questionable. Enting has been in a bad disposition for the last week or so and needed constant attention (in related news: I've been severely underslept, even by "have a 7 month old" standards), and by Thursday morning I still hadn't gotten to pack (himself or me) for the trip. Mr ended up paying a sitter to come out for 3 hours to distract/cuddle/play with Enting so we could finish the packing and get on the road by noon. Which we did. So yay.

The rest of the trip I got to play in three LARPs (one of which was 5 mini LARPs), and some board games, saw old friends, made new ones, and many people ooooh'd and awww'd over the Enting, who was charming and adorable, at least out in public XD There were more baby-related sleep problems on the trip, but everyone at the con is underslept by day 3, so it didn't really show.

I played in:

Apocalypse Arcanum - in which we are all wizards on a council in a world about to die from misuse of magic, and we have to decide what to do to save it (or not). I ended up taking over the council and convincing everyone to give up their magic (including myself). I'm told the second run of it that weekend didn't go quite so cooperatively, though XD 

The Borden Legacy - a LARP based around the Lizzie Borden murders, set in a world where Lovecraft's Elder Gods have taken over and we all worship the mighty Dagon. Well, most of us, anyway. (I loved this game so much--Lovecraft and reading/watching docs about bizarre crime stories are guilty pleasures. Apparently this one was written to actually be played in the Borden house next year O_O)

Better than Life - 5 mini LARPs loosely based on well-loved sci-fi like Firefly, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the Vorkosigan Saga.

I completely failed to get any pictures of any of my costumes, not that they were spectacular, but still! I made an effort, darnit XD (In all seriousness, I was a little leery about costuming because I've still got pregnancy pudge and a lot of my clothes doesn't fit normally. But I didn't want to get new costume parts because I see that weight gain as temporary.)

Anyway, we're home now and I'm avoiding unpacking. Soon I'll check in on the threads. Happy week one, everyone!

• Like 7

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Instagram

2 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

The Borden Legacy - a LARP based around the Lizzie Borden murders, set in a world where Lovecraft's Elder Gods have taken over and we all worship the mighty Dagon. Well, most of us, anyway. (I loved this game so much--Lovecraft and reading/watching docs about bizarre crime stories are guilty pleasures. Apparently this one was written to actually be played in the Borden house next year O_O)

WOWOWOW this sounds so fun!!!!  Glad you had a good time and hope you can catch up on your sleep soon!!

• Like 1

In the spirit of the glorious @shaar I am going to add a list of Things That Need Dealing With [This Week] because I have a tendency to put them in my notebook and then they get buried behind the daily logs, and also public accountability and stuff.

Things That Need Dealing With [This Week]

Ultra priority:

1) Edinburgh Packing List (our first trip with Enting not in the car--we need to pack ultra light for the train, so I expect packing to go multiple rounds)

1a) Look into ordering a better rucksack, 35L?

2) Research and begin visa renewal process. (That blissful 30 months in which I didn't have to worry about my immigration status is ending... and I like living in the same country as my husband and baby.)

2a) + make a December appointment if I can.

3) Costume research for Torch of Freedom (a full weekend LARP we're doing in February--we recently got in off the wait list. Given the short time frame, I'll have to probably buy things "off the rack" but I'm rather short and regency dresses are long, so I may still need to arrange to get alternations done.)

Nice to get to, but can wait if needed:

1) Talk to my sisters about logistics for a possible Texas visit next spring.

2) Rewrite article for DF.

All right. A witch deals with things. Time to get dealing.

• Like 4

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Instagram

Lists on lists on lists!  A full weekend LARP sounds SO FUN!!!!

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 8:29 AM, Ann of Vries said:

Things That Need Dealing With [This Week]

Ultra priority:

1) Edinburgh Packing List (our first trip with Enting not in the car--we need to pack ultra light for the train, so I expect packing to go multiple rounds)

1a) Look into ordering a better rucksack, 35L?

Update - Researched and ordered an Osprey Fairview 40L rucksack. More pricey than I planned, but Mr has had two Ospreys and fully endorses them. It should get here by Friday.

I've done the first round packing list for Enting and I this morning. I asked the AirBNB host for the baby cot he mentioned as bringing ours is a lot of extra faff and luggage, and verified the bed situations in case that doesn't work out. 

I've also researched nearby shops to pick up infant milk and nappies so we don't have to haul up 5 days worth. We specifically picked a place with a washer/dryer so I shouldn't need to bring up a dozen changes of clothes for a 5 day trip XD

2) Research and begin visa renewal process. (That blissful 30 months in which I didn't have to worry about my immigration status is ending... and I like living in the same country as my husband and baby.)

2a) + make a December appointment if I can.

Research done. It appears that I either misunderstood the renewal system previously, or it's changed. (Previously, we made an appointment, and then went there with an 80 page application and a massive amount of supporting documents and got the answer that day, I'd been under the impression that it would be the same process to be done about a month before expiration.) In any case, it looks like I need to do an online application to request an extension on my visa, and then mail in a bunch of supporting documents. This is in many ways more convenient, except the waiting period to get an answer and my new visa :P (Mostly it's about getting it all done before it expires, there's no reason I would be denied the extension.)

3) Costume research for Torch of Freedom (a full weekend LARP we're doing in February--we recently got in off the wait list. Given the short time frame, I'll have to probably buy things "off the rack" but I'm rather short and regency dresses are long, so I may still need to arrange to get alternations done.)

Research done here. This is going to get expensive ;_; Especially since Mr wants to go all Amadeus.

• Like 3

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Instagram

4 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

Research done here. This is going to get expensive ;_; Especially since Mr wants to go all Amadeus.

We'll be wanting pics of this! :D

• Like 1

Active challenges: Improve Ankle Mobility | Walk to Mordor and Back Again | DailyDare | Weight Loss PVP

2021 threads: Respawn | Challenge V | VI

2018-19 threads: Battle log | Challenge I | IIIIIIV

10 hours ago, Ann of Vries said:

renewal system

Isn't bureaucracy wonderful?

Good work getting things done!

Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

On 11/26/2018 at 9:57 AM, Ann of Vries said:

Apocalypse Arcanum - in which we are all wizards on a council in a world about to die from misuse of magic, and we have to decide what to do to save it (or not). I ended up taking over the council and convincing everyone to give up their magic (including myself). I'm told the second run of it that weekend didn't go quite so cooperatively, though XD 

Better than Life - 5 mini LARPs loosely based on well-loved sci-fi like Firefly, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and the Vorkosigan Saga.

On 11/27/2018 at 3:29 AM, Ann of Vries said:

These all sound absolutely amazing!!! I cannot wait to hear more about them!!  :D 

I'm rather late but following along! I love your goals and your mindset!!

• Like 1

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 48

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

2021 Books in Progress:

How We Love (82%)  |  Talking Back to Purity Culture (64%)  |  Rhythms of Renewal (60%)  |  Beholding and Becoming (19%)  | What Did You Expect? (36%)  |  A Gentle Answer (0%) 

2021 Books Completed:
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets  |  Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  |  Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire   |  Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix  |  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince  |  Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows  |  Lady Windermere's Fan 

Hello darlings,

I've been in Edinburgh the last few days. It was a good trip--I went to a one day seminar by author Maggie Stiefvater, and learned new things that I hope will help evolve my writing (and maybe get me unstuck on my current project). Which, when you've been writing for 20 years and read just about every book out there and attended a lot of classes and workshops... one becomes afraid that the same old information will just be regurgitated. I'm not saying I "know it all" so much as I often feel that I've "heard it all."

Edinburgh was cold and rainy. We ate lovely food (not Scottish food, though, which is lovely but heavy) and did a lot of walking each day. Most of our explorations were around Leith and the New Town--most of our previous trips have focused on Old Town, Holyrood Park, the University. We had difficulties with the Enting, but this is simply par for the course: traveling is harder with a baby. But it's not so hard that it's not worth doing. 

We found a tiny book shop called Typewronger, run by a young man who also sells and repairs typewriters. He offers you tea when you walk into the door, and when you buy something he stamps the book and makes you an origami animal. He had a small, but well curated book collection, most of which didn't cross over with books that we already own, but all of which would have fit in just fine on our bookcases. Despite having no space in my pack, I had to buy a couple of books to support this unique little business.

Spoke to a young man on the train who told me about his struggles with substance abuse (after I asked about the relevance of a particular tattoo) and various other stories. He played with Enting, and made the first half the journey fly by before he departed.

Goal wise--I hit far above 10k each day, 2 liters of water most days, and (oddly enough) writing no days.

Now I'm trying to reacclimatize to being at home, and prepare myself to deal with what looks like will be a difficult week--in both good and bad ways.

I'll try to catch up on threads soon.

• Like 7

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Instagram