• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

farflight

Farflight fights the lords of winter....

Farflight awakens as the whole of Bastion's Keep trembles around him...

"I thought we beat Azmodan...I thought we won!...what is this fresh new hell Tyrael?"

"Mortal...you did save the high heavens of paradise, but these new demons have no master...these are are lords of winter...These foes can only be fought, never truly conquered. Use your knowledge...your will...and your friends. Heaven knows you'll need them...."

Been playing a lot of Diablo 3 lately...probably too much, so a tad of a Diablo theme, been having a lot of fun with the necromancer and just rolled a barbarian (which I'm usually not a fan of, actually rolled him to get motivated for this challenge)

Quests:

200w.gif

Follower of the Ancients-As barbarian's are masters of strength, so must I become. I will continue the advanced bodyweight circuit 3x/week. End challenge goal is 1-2 unassisted pullups and chinups. (Currently using a chair to assist since I don't have a fancy assisted pullup gym machine like @scalyfreak). Last challenge, I didn't do dips because I don't have anything that really works like Steve's barstools. In the mean time, I'll do bent rows with dumbbells to at least stimulate the same muscle groups. If/when I get to 55 lbs (the max for the dumbbells) I'll consider using my kitchen chairs, but it'll be tough to keep legs off ground. 

Iron Skin/Ignore Pain-Barbarians hale from the frigid lands of the north. While I do have yankee parents, I was born and raised in the equivalent of Caldeum (Memphis, TN). I need to build up my elemental resistance base attribute. Last challenge I spent about a week-week and half not doing shit outside because "it was too nasty." That is not the proper mindset. I'm committing to be outside, working or exercising despite the weather (unless is stupid risky for some reason). 

Kanai's Teachings-While strength and battle prowess are of great influence, the mind and heart are also of paramount importance. I cannot neglect my mind over my body. I will work out finances, researching this 50/30/20 concepts and figure out the best ways to pay off the back debts I've got (except student loans, those are on track for PSLF). 

Equipping followers-Christmas is on the horizon...I'm refusing all christmas stuff until at least AFTER thanksgiving. I will have christmas shopping done early enough that I can easily avoid expedited shipping. In the interest of Kanai's teachings, I'll spend what I can and not cause financial harm to myself. 

• Like 2

Yesterday-Completed circuit. Had mucho challenges on assisted pull/chin ups. Managed 9 each on 1st, 8 each on second, and 8 pull ups and 6 chin ups on last set.

Not beating self up.

Not sure what outdoors activity will be today. Possible a run/jog. 

During work down time going to read up on appropriate percentages of budgeting.

56 minutes ago, farflight said:

probably too much,

Never too much.

23 minutes ago, farflight said:

Managed 9 each on 1st, 8 each on second, and 8 pull ups and 6 chin ups on last set.

Sounds like success.

23 minutes ago, farflight said:

Not sure what outdoors activity will be today. Possible a run/jog

Diablo Diablo3 GIF - Diablo Diablo3 DiabloGame GIFs

22 hours ago, Grumble said:
Diablo Diablo3 GIF - Diablo Diablo3 DiabloGame GIFs

Imperious can suck it...needs to pull the stick outta his ass (just getting into act V, Reaper of souls content, might've grinded a tad much on my necro, kinda on auto pilot right now: singularity skeletal mages (2 pops for each summon thanks to a ring), bone spikes runed for pillars, frenzy command skeletons, ice golem, corpse explosion runed for final embrace: passive: quick attack on bone spikes, minions get 200% my thorns (I've got a lot of thorns), a leeching passive, and health regen for enemies within 20 yrds. 

0?ui=2&ik=40f0c393d4&attid=0.1.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1617757372369468407&th=16736dc248d9fbf7&view=fimg&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ-tBzCTB_A_KJt7fCsyw_eqvayQLGH28Zfq1R923MEOym3woCubx69RgKE1IGLG0otLa28jk10woCrA94VVu3FUFMG0U0zjaYEI-1H712OiVviu8N8Wa2utrWg&disp=emb

I'd make the pic smaller if I could (knew how)

Mile times: 9'08, 8'43, 8'41. 

Curious if other warriors have running experience? I find the most comfortable run in my merrell vapor gloves running flat footed (i.e. NOT heel striking as the vapor gloves have very thin sole), mostly on sidewalk. I'll probably ask the scouts what they think.

Anyhooo. Def. got out in the cold yesterday with that run. Got home, 48 degrees, let stomach settle and dog time for an hour. Temp dropped about 14 degrees, walked dog around the block (she's still limping occasionally, so I'm being extra gentle with her), after 0.55 miles, thumbs were numb. Dropped off dog...realized I apparently lost my gloves in the divorce...used big yellow cowhide work gloves to keep hands warm (stop laughing, it worked damnit), and then got the 3.02 mile rung noted above, lots of 'flights of stairs' in the neighborhood (fitbit counts that route as about 22 flights of stairs).

Bodyweight routine and long walk today is the plan (partial with dog and then solo) to try and burn as many calories as possible prior to tomorrow!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, farflight said:

Imperious can suck it...needs to pull the stick outta his ass (just getting into act V, Reaper of souls content, might've grinded a tad much on my necro, kinda on auto pilot right now: singularity skeletal mages (2 pops for each summon thanks to a ring), bone spikes runed for pillars, frenzy command skeletons, ice golem, corpse explosion runed for final embrace: passive: quick attack on bone spikes, minions get 200% my thorns (I've got a lot of thorns), a leeching passive, and health regen for enemies within 20 yrds. 

Necro's can suck it. Gimme a Demon Hunter any day of the week. (I kid, I love my necromancer)

9 minutes ago, farflight said:

Curious if other warriors have running experience? I find the most comfortable run in my merrell vapor gloves running flat footed (i.e. NOT heel striking as the vapor gloves have very thin sole), mostly on sidewalk. I'll probably ask the scouts what they think.

*ahem*

Also. @Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf. @RedStone too, I think. Even though she doesn't like it.

I find that being a midsole striker has worked out well for me. Heel strikes hurt and running on the balls of my feet wear me out way faster. As my form has improved I've had to think less about where my foot is going so I can a) turn it over faster and b) utilize the muscles more for power and less for placement. I also wear pretty maximal shoes, maybe one day I'll get down to minimalist or barefoot, but this training is not that day.

2 minutes ago, Grumble said:

I find that being a midsole striker has worked out well for me. Heel strikes hurt and running on the balls of my feet wear me out way faster. As my form has improved I've had to think less about where my foot is going so I can a) turn it over faster and b) utilize the muscles more for power and less for placement. I also wear pretty maximal shoes, maybe one day I'll get down to minimalist or barefoot, but this training is not that day.

gif_words.gif

I guess the concerns I'm really after/old assumptions I'm challenging:

1) is 'flatfoot' running bad for the knees/back as some people have told me (cause it feels really comfortable to me)

2) is running on sidewalk (especially in 'barefoot' shoes) killing my joints long term (cause it doesn't feel bad after the small bit of running I've done)

3) am I really over thinking this and just need to keep running (since I maybe run 2-3 times a week tops and under 5 miles each time at the moment)

4) if I see a treasure goblin on a run, do I follow him?

37 minutes ago, farflight said:

gif_words.gif

Words Trump GIF - Words Trump GIFs

1) is 'flatfoot' running bad for the knees/back as some people have told me (cause it feels really comfortable to me)

2) is running on sidewalk (especially in 'barefoot' shoes) killing my joints long term (cause it doesn't feel bad after the small bit of running I've done)

3) am I really over thinking this and just need to keep running (since I maybe run 2-3 times a week tops and under 5 miles each time at the moment)

These are my recent discoveries, so take them with a grain of salt. I'm not, by any means, a historically veteran runner.

1) "Flat Foot" running doesn't mean anything, unless you have flat feet, which I can't speak to.

Image result for foot strike

Which one are you?

Also, my favorite video talking about foot strike. 

2) Depends. If you're a heavy foot striker, probably. In my own experience, pains and aches have gone away as my form has improved, regardless of the terrain I'm running on. 

3) It's like lifting, practice makes perfect. But just running shouldn't be the thing you do if you have areas you can improve on. Every run I do I practice something, whether it's cadence (how fast my feet turn over), posture, breathing, or whatever.

4) ALWAYS. You never know when you'll get to the treasure realm. (Two notes, I've only been once, and if treasure goblins were real, I'd be spending more time looking for a demon hunting trainer than just running)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, farflight said:

As Grumble said... I do have a fair bit of running experience...  I'm really a scout / ranger that has been trying to keep up with these warriors and get some warrior muscle the last few months! 

It looks like Grumble actually answered your follow on questions pretty well but I'll give my opinions also...

4 hours ago, farflight said:

1) Look at Grumble's chart that illustrates the 3 real extremes of foot placement when running.  I think based upon your explanation you are really talking about a more mid-foot strike.  Your heel isn't the main thing landing first and your ball of your foot (the tough area right behind your toes) is not landing first... you are landing essentially in the middle. If this isn't want you are doing, let us know so we can take another shot at it for ya!

I, personally, run a little more towards the forefoot stride. But I'm also a bit more of a mid-distance "speed-ish" guy.. (my fasted 5k the last few years was ~19:20 and fastest mile ~5:20). Generally speaking, if you want to go fast you're going to end up with more of a forefoot strike... look at olympic sprints for proof of this.. none of them have a heel strike and most are leaning pretty far forward and striking closer to the front.

Mid-foot is perfectly acceptable though, in my opinion.  It is likely much better for you than a heel strike, which I think is more likely to cause "jarring" up your ankles, knees, hips, and all the way through your back.  This is simply because you are taking out more of your "shock absorber" that exists because of your ankle.. your ankle flexes so if you land fore or mid foot you are allowing your ankle to catch some of your weight as your run.. if you land on your heel you are basically ignoring natures shock absorber. (Lots of people run heel strike all the time though and are fine... but my opinion is my opinion... so there ya go.)

2) Running on the sidewalk is fine.. I road run for almost ALL of my runs. You just need to be careful you don't ramp up mileage to some crazy distance too fast.  But that is true no matter where you run (track, treadmill, etc..) I think a lot of people that get hurt running sidewalks or roads just aren't paying attention to the changing terrain.. Just be careful if your incline increase or decreases... going down hill you'll find you have to "catch" yourself and it causes much more shock to your joints than going uphill or on flat ground.  Just pay attention to where you are running and if your body is having any issues afterwards and you'll be fine.  (Just as Grumble how his 10K he ran at 1,000 feet higher than usual impacted him! Just being outside and not on a completely flat surface is what gets a lot of people.)

And your "barefoot" shoes are fine, if you are running in a strike that is comfortable to you and you have been doing it a while (see response to question 3 below...).  "barefoot" or minimalist shoes are good for running because they get rid of all the unneeded padding so many people find comfortable.  But your feet just need to be conditioned to run the mileage that you are running. Do NOT go buy a pair of minimalist shoes, having never run in them before, strap them on and go run 5 miles.  You will have issues lol..  But I've been running in minimalist shoes for years.  sprints, 5ks, 10ks, 15ks, the random one off half-marathon.. works in them all (If you get around the running scene a bit you'll even see crazy people run completely barefoot in some distance races)

3) Yes.. probably. If you are already at what I call a running base of comfortably running 2-3 times a week and are in the same mileage each week you are already conditioning yourself for what you are doing.  If you are just now getting off the couch and decided you are going to run 3 times a week 5 miles each run... you're probably going to hurt yourself.   If you are comfortably running, have been doing it at the approximately mileage you're doing, and have been doing it for a while.. just keep doing what you're doing.  Obviously, if you want to compete at a faster pace or in a longer distance you need to do things that will allow your body to adapt and improve towards those things (slowly increase mileage for distance... work on increasing pace for speed)

4) ALWAYS follow a treasure goblin... it makes runs much more interesting.

Hope my rambling makes helps... or at least makes you feel better about how things are going.  Don't worry about comparing your running to what other people say (or any of them even runners??) or do.  Your body type, strength, etc. are going to dictate what works for you.  If its working now and you're happy with it.. keep it up.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, farflight said:

1: No

2: Potentially

3: Yes

4: Yes

Thank you all for the insights! I was thinking that I was over thinking things...not that nerds like us do that EVER!....lord story of my life.

In reflection, I think what I am, what I'm shooting for, is a midfoot striker. @Grumble, that you for the video...I actually watched it...informative!!!!

I definitely see toe strike as a "sprinting" type form (reminiscent of when I ran track/soccer 20+ years ago, but never really 'thought' about it back then).

Just finished my circuits for the day...34 minutes, 20 min in cardio 14 in fat burn; 391 cals theoretically (at least I did something :-D)

Didn't research budgeting today, but I am going to the grocery...Bul'Kathos guide my hands!!!

fbvnTlA.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, farflight said:

Didn't research budgeting today,

What exactly are you trying to do for research?  I actually have a BS in Finance, an MBA, and work in a very analytical financial career field.  Plus I'm a little into personal financial stuff just outside of that.  (If you are looking for reading on personal finance one of the best, and maybe most well known, is Millionaire Next Door.  It isn't going to give you a ton of specific do this don't do that but it does give you a lot of "this is what successful every day people have done" type stuff.) 

In general though with your debt comment you said in your opening post, pay those with the highest interest rate first.  The main exceptions may be student loans or mortgages, depending on if you are deducting them on your taxes. Even then, it depends on how high that interest rate is.

2 hours ago, Legolas "Cap" Greenleaf said:

In general though with your debt comment you said in your opening post, pay those with the highest interest rate first. 

Thanks cap. I'll try to remember the name/book. 

I know as far as debt goes, mine is paltry compared to most other people (based on the statistics I've read). 

House-technically owned by parents as I'm still going through divorce

Student debt- ~$40k, on a repayment plan that "should" be forgiven in 4-5 more years

Auto-2 years left

Credit cards- ~$2k from divorce, ~$800 from myself (unplanned bills), the part that freaks me out a tad is that they are in promotional 0% interest periods, was REALLY hoping to have them paid off by end of promotional period (which is January). I'm not certain what a balance transfer does to my credit score, some sources say nothing really, others say it can hurt score. I know once the interest starts kicking in I'll either transfer to another 0% card for 18-24 months and get em gone finally or just switch to smaller payments so I can start actually putting money into savings. Right now I'm 'not paying myself' as whatever doesn't go to bills goes towards credit cards/living. 

On fitness notes:

Iron skin/ignore pain-went for a run/walk this morning...in 30 degrees. Found out that I don't really like running with lots of layers....felt confining...actually felt claustrophobic.

So about that run...yea...kinda sucked. Barely got 1 mile then knee and hell on left side started hurting...I think there were a lot of things against me this morning...

1) pulled bread out of the oven at 1 am, slept 5.5 hrs then went for run

2) poor sleep as had a lot of caffene last night...so a little dehydrated this morning

3) was flipping cold (for us southerners, 30 degrees is cold)

tenor.gif?itemid=5502730

I know I should just be proud that I went...but it feels like a consellation prize...guess I should just be glad I did something!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING YALL

NOTE: ....HOW MUCH lsd were the devs on for D3....I thought my game was glitching, saw some rainbow colored oval in the fires of westmarch...ummm...Whimseydale is fucking creepy....

• Like 2

1 hour ago, farflight said:

Iron skin/ignore pain-went for a run/walk this morning...in 30 degrees. Found out that I don't really like running with lots of layers....felt confining...actually felt claustrophobic.

So about that run...yea...kinda sucked. Barely got 1 mile then knee and hell on left side started hurting...I think there were a lot of things against me this morning...

1) pulled bread out of the oven at 1 am, slept 5.5 hrs then went for run

2) poor sleep as had a lot of caffene last night...so a little dehydrated this morning

3) was flipping cold (for us southerners, 30 degrees is cold)

tenor.gif?itemid=5502730

Arghh... all my sympathies for not getting enough sleep. It's the WORST. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2018 at 11:37 AM, farflight said:

I'm not certain what a balance transfer does to my credit score, some sources say nothing really, others say it can hurt score.

One of the things I tell people when they talk to me about credit score is that it, generally, only matters if you are planning on taking out a loan. If you don't have any plans to take out a loan of any type in the near future, the very slight ding that may occur because of a balance transfer is not something I'd be overly concerned about.  You are also going to be doing things that help your score by paying down your credit card debt and increasing the efficiency on your credit utilization scores (how much you CAN borrow versus how much you DO have borrowed). 

It sounds like you are at least aware of what you owe and have some type of plan to throw cash at it.  A lot of people can't, or won't, wrap their mind around what they really owe. 

giphy.gif

• Like 3

Thanksgiving recap....

Ate till I was really uncomfortable on Thursday...but not so much that I hated myself...which is progress :-D 

returning-to-town-rip.gif

sorta...

Managed to get about a 4 mile hike in with Elder Farfligth (pops). Which was nice...and freaking slow...I normally hike/walk 14 min miles...we were clocking around 24 min mile pace. Was really nice to just chat and visit with him though. 

Did bodyweight circuits on saturday. Slowly increasing walks with puppy to measure how her limp is healing. Had a few small walks today. Nothing major...a lot of D3 necromancer, almost got the complete rathma bones set for a minion build, also have been getting a feel for a minionless build with deathnova and close quarters corpse explosion build, just need different equipment. 

So, I've managed to stay active over the holiday, kept the house clean. Have what appears a decent conceptualization for my debt situation. 

Christmas shopping-dad, mother, and eldest brother done. Have 3 nephews, 1 neice, two sisters in law left. And they all need ideas for me...sometimes it sucks being content with what you have...or at least the things I'd 'like' are way outside of family price ranges. I might go try on shoes and stick that on a list

• Like 3

Sorry for the double post, didn't realize that I never posted the previous.

Monday recap.

Decent work day, got shit done!

05316993e184a9fa19e11c8f8ed82935.gif

Headed home, shoulda worked out right when I got there, but waited for a friend to get off work then went to get christmas decorations.....-20 hp on financial decisions, gave into spur of the moment and spend $350 on a tree and decorations, now I know they'll last for years, but still hurts...trying to stay outta that shame place....

5005689-33.gif

After we got the tree up, I really wanted to just slug out on the couch (was roughly 930 pm). I found the will to do my circuits, they were piss poor performance, but huzzah for moral victory?? 

Iron Skin/Ignore pain-walked the dog 1 mile in 30 degree weather...really need to buy some freaking cheap gloves today, I feel silly walking in work gloves...

So all in all, a survivable day. Poor financial choices, but I did work out, go outside, and did something productive (if not expensive).

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, farflight said:

Headed home, shoulda worked out right when I got there, but waited for a friend to get off work then went to get christmas decorations.....-20 hp on financial decisions, gave into spur of the moment and spend $350 on a tree and decorations, now I know they'll last for years, but still hurts...trying to stay outta that shame place...

Buy once cry once.

We've upgraded our tree because we bought a cheap one a year or so into our relationship. It started to fall apart after a couple years. Bought the one we have now, I think it was $250-300. It's going strong on 5 years now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farflight said:

Christmas shopping-dad, mother, and eldest brother done. Have 3 nephews, 1 neice, two sisters in law left. And they all need ideas for me...sometimes it sucks being content with what you have...or at least the things I'd 'like' are way outside of family price ranges. I might go try on shoes and stick that on a list

The people I know just buy things themselves if they want them. My dad's side of the family keep buying each other expensive crap that no one really needs because they've all spent 40 years setting up their homes just the way they like them. I guess Christmas made more sense when people had less and needed more. Or for children, obviously, who always want stuff but don't have incomes. Anyway, with my immediate family now we just do little things that are either consumable or practical so we don't end up with clutter and unwanted stuff that goes to waste. Socks, underwear, edibles. We still get the nice feeling of giving presents but it's super low key and no pressure to get exactly the right thing. 

32 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Buy once cry once.

That is a fair point. But... I miss the good old days when our father would buy a real live pine tree from the scouts, who spent the year growing them. They smelled like pine, it was wonderful. But then dad wouldn't take the tree down until Easter, when brown needles would be littering the living room floor.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Harriet said:

That is a fair point. But... I miss the good old days when our father would buy a real live pine tree from the scouts, who spent the year growing them. They smelled like pine, it was wonderful. But then dad wouldn't take the tree down until Easter, when brown needles would be littering the living room floor.

I loved having a live tree, when I didn't have to water it and make sure it lived through the month. Being an adult made me lazy.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

Artificial Tree+Christmas Tree Scented Candle=win.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Mrs Grumble uses essential oil soaked pieces of wood (I think they have a pine one and one called christmas spirit) that work wonders.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Fine idea, but my nose does weird things when exposed to artificial scents...probably due to that summer I worked nights as a stocker on the detergent aisle. I can't stand artificial scenting, don't even do cologne.

I'm working on getting fireplace fixed then I don't need candles, I'll just build a fire...that's == win

• Like 1

1 minute ago, farflight said:

Fine idea, but my nose does weird things when exposed to artificial scents...probably due to that summer I worked nights as a stocker on the detergent aisle. I can't stand artificial scenting, don't even do cologne.

I'm working on getting fireplace fixed then I don't need candles, I'll just build a fire...that's == win

Yes, that is a superior win. Living in South Texas a fire is so seldom an option, even in "Winter" that my brain didn't go there.