• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

farflight

Farflight fights the lords of winter....

Mmmm. Christmas scents. Maybe I should just have a cauldron of mulled wine constantly simmering on the stove, and some sprigs of pine around the place. Also oranges pierced with cloves.

• Like 3

Mmmmmmm mulled cider...(not a drinker anymore)...the smells....

Anywhoo....

Way of the ancients-didn't work out yesterday (tuesday is a rest day). But decorated the house, which is at least a little activity...Will be working out tonight

Iron skin/ignore pain-went on two walks yesterday, one with the puppy and one without, her limp seems to be going away, at least from what I've noticed. I just have to gently get her back to our normal distances. Don't want to immediately get her back to 3-5 miles. Roughly 1 mile right now.   On my second knee numbing walk (didn't have long pants on), I realized, that if you don't know me, I probably looked sketchy as f@#k last night...walking in the dark, hoodie with hood up, ski-mask on to keep face warm, hands in pockets...and 6'2 lol

Kannai's teachings-I've made peace with the fact that the cards won't be paid in full by the time interest kicks in. I'm planning on a balance transfer in January to park the balance and continue chomping it down. Its the best I can do, there isn't any reason to flagellate myself for not doing better than I can manage. On a side note, if anyone wants to send me their extra funds I'd appreciate it :-D.

Equipping followers-No progress

cursed-chest-executioners1.jpg

I FOUND A CURSED CHEST on my walk!!!>!?!?! It's a time trail...no snacks/desserts after dinner in december (i.e. within the last 2 hrs of the day)...It didn't say what the reward was...or potential bones...(okay it probably did, but I clicked too fast to read it)....will keep you posted!

• Like 2

Glad to hear your pupper is getting better. 

34 minutes ago, farflight said:

On my second knee numbing walk (didn't have long pants on), I realized, that if you don't know me, I probably looked sketchy as f@#k last night...walking in the dark, hoodie with hood up, ski-mask on to keep face warm, hands in pockets...and 6'2 lol

Two things. Ski Mask and shorts. 

Wut.

Also, you know those walks would go faster if you ran them. >_>

33 minutes ago, farflight said:

Mmmmmmm mulled cider...(not a drinker anymore)...the smells....

https://www.bbc.com/food/recipes/mulledcider_8851

I'm here to help.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Grumble said:

Two things. Ski Mask and shorts. 

Wut.

Also, you know those walks would go faster if you ran them. >_>

I never said I had fashion sense...

Also, I know they'd go faster if I ran...but then they wouldn't be a WALK!

giphy.gif

But seriously, knee and heel are still gimpy a little bit, don't wanna make them worse before they're healed, but just trying to keep them moving

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, farflight said:

I never said I had fashion sense...

Neither did I. 

Also, I know they'd go faster if I ran...but then they wouldn't be a WALK!

giphy.gif

Semantics.

But seriously, knee and heel are still gimpy a little bit, don't wanna make them worse before they're healed, but just trying to keep them moving

Yea, be safe. Then run. 

46 minutes ago, Grumble said:
1 hour ago, farflight said:

Neither did I. 

unnamed.thumb.jpg.695261cac4dbdb16a5848aa6860add2c.jpg

totally not sketchy at all...RUN!

And the christmas tree...I know its not decorated...I was instructed that if I decorated it alone I'd be friendless for the holidays...so I'm waiting...this is the sad year...just generic ornaments... 

unnamed-1.jpg

9.5 feet without the angel on top. Its pretty

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, farflight said:

unnamed.thumb.jpg.695261cac4dbdb16a5848aa6860add2c.jpg

totally not sketchy at all...RUN!

I don't know if I'd run, but I'd side-eye you the whole time.

3 minutes ago, farflight said:

And the christmas tree...I know its not decorated...I was instructed that if I decorated it alone I'd be friendless for the holidays...so I'm waiting...this is the sad year...just generic ornaments... 

unnamed-1.jpg

9.5 feet without the angel on top. Its pretty

Why do you people live so far away. I would absolutely come out and help you decorate.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 9:24 AM, farflight said:

being content with what you have...or at least the things I'd 'like' are way outside of family price ranges. I might go try on shoes and stick that on a list

Maybe little things that can help you either build or visualize those habbits? :)

2 hours ago, farflight said:

walking in the dark, hoodie with hood up, ski-mask on to keep face warm, hands in pockets...

giphy.gif

I must confess that the ski mask but no pants puzzles me. Did you at least have long socks on?

1 hour ago, farflight said:

I was instructed that if I decorated it alone I'd be friendless for the holidays

Is this a thing? I always solo the tree. (TBH, if I didn't go ahead and put the ornaments on and just had the lights, you wouldn't be able to look directly at it without risking sunburn..)

25 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

I must confess that the ski mask but no pants puzzles me. Did you at least have long socks on?

ugh...yes, I had shorts on...just figured that went without saying...guess I'll have to lower the assumption bar for this community...again :-P

and the whole decorating the tree thing, my friend just really wants to help...she got mad at me for painting last month without her, so I'll wait till she can come over and help. Not that big a deal...just funny how adamant she is

32 minutes ago, farflight said:

ugh...yes, I had shorts on...just figured that went without saying...guess I'll have to lower the assumption bar for this community...again :-P

giphy.gif

Well, as a general rule, it's far funnier if you aren't wearing pants.

It just seemed ironic that you took the time to don a ski mask but thought sweat pants weren't worth the effort. (Me, I would've resembled the Michelin man.)

37 minutes ago, farflight said:

and the whole decorating the tree thing, my friend just really wants to help...she got mad at me for painting last month without her, so I'll wait till she can come over and help. Not that big a deal...just funny how adamant she is

Gotcha. So it isn't some ancient superstition, just a friend that will threaten to disown you lol

• Haha 2

It's definitely still weird with shorts. But the internet has taught me to wear what I want, not care what others think. and live bravely. So if a ski mask and shorts are your happy outfit, everyone here is happy for you, too. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

Well, as a general rule, it's far funnier if you aren't wearing pants.

It just seemed ironic that you took the time to don a ski mask but thought sweat pants weren't worth the effort. (Me, I would've resembled the Michelin man.)

Yea....my municipality treats speeding as a criminal offense...seriously, last month I drove 2 miles to get...*ahem* supplies...and saw 7 people getting tickets...which took no less than 12 squad cars....the joys of suburbia...so no telling what they'd do to someone walking w/o pants.

The ski mask was already downstairs...sweatpants were all the way upstairs....I figured if I kept my torso warm enough, legs would be alright...I was wrong.

Way of the ancients-did complete circuit yesterday, 3x. I seem to be dreading it, at least before getting started, but by the second set my mood has improved. I really wish there was a way to measure intermittent gains on the pull/chin ups, but I'm just trying to stick with it and use my legs as little as possible. 

Kannai's teachings-have made peace with financials. I've got about 4 0% interest card offers in my mailbox a day, so I should have an easy enough time finding one to transfer the balances to. Just have to be patient...which isn't really one of my strong suits. Also, resisting the urge to email lawyer questions and status updates (since each email costs money). Just trying to be zen with the whole process....

original.gif

damnit bob...I mean bills!

Equipping followers: No progress. Going to give family members about another week to get ideas, then it's time for.....dun dun duuunnnn...executive decisions....everyone gets a gift card....

ezgif-1-f45261ee9d.gif

Iron skin/ignore pain-got steps in outside last night. Was only in the 40s so nothing too terrible...no I didn't wear sweat pants...was still shorts. Possibly going to run before therapy tonight if I've got the time....which is a lie...I've got the time...just trying to leave myself and excuse...which is wrong...

CURSED CHEST: I know its not december yet, but I didn't have anything to eat after 8 pm last night. Ate dinner, watched 3/4 of a breaking bad (I know...I'm a few years behind...at this rate I'll start GoT around 2021). Had a bowl of granola...it was good :-D. But still, was more motivated by boredom than actually hungry.

• Like 4

Yea....my municipality treats speeding as a criminal offense...seriously, last month I drove 2 miles to get...*ahem* supplies...and saw 7 people getting tickets...which took no less than 12 squad cars....the joys of suburbia...so no telling what they'd do to someone walking w/o pants.

There are two reasons smaller municipalities write so many tickets.

1. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

2. They are bored. If it's a low crime suburb, those officers have very little to do otherwise.

• Like 1

Well, I didn't have time to run before therapy...but I did make time after dinner....note to self and y'all...mexican sirloin, jalepenos, onions, and rice/beans 1 hr before a 2.8 mile run is....welll....not the best of ideas....DIDN'T PUKE THOUGH!

youtried.png?w=650

On a related note...Memphis weather needs to up its medication...we've had huge temp changes...we had snow before thanks giving, lows in the 20s, and its 70 degrees today...damnit, pick one....spring, fall, or winter...we don't care which just PICK ONE!

I am happy because I've got 8 pounds of salt/sugar cured pork shoulder in my oven RIGHT NOW...and it's going to be wonderful

• Like 2

5 hours ago, farflight said:

On a related note...Memphis weather needs to up its medication...we've had huge temp changes...we had snow before thanks giving, lows in the 20s, and its 70 degrees today...damnit, pick one....spring, fall, or winter...we don't care which just PICK ONE!

It's like a cat that can't decide if it wants in or out.

5 hours ago, farflight said:

.we've had huge temp changes...we had snow before thanks giving, lows in the 20s, and its 70 degrees today...damnit, pick one....spring, fall, or winter...we don't care which just PICK ONE!

Hahahaha. Sounds like business as usual in Chicagoland. The upside to that is that annoying weather generally doesn't stick around too long. (Hmm. That would be a cool tool. Wand of Chicago Weather. You wave it over someone you wish would go away, and POOF! They do. :) )

Yum to jalapeño steak and salt-sugar pork. And you definitely get points for sticking to the run even though it wasn't at the usual time.

It's like a cat that can't decide if it wants in or out....

2oy1g3.gif

Busy weekend overall. After friday's run, went home got some sleep.

Saturday was a gut busting breakfast followed by 10.5 mile bikeride...woot...although, in hindsight, I won't bike that far a day after running again...

Helped the folks put up christmas lights and watch an UGLY bama victory over georgia (TBH, not a HUGE f-ball fan, but still enjoy watching). Got a ride back to my car cause I was zapped from the ride there.

Sunday was church, aldi, then 5 hours of raking/baggin leaves with a small...SMALL 1 mile walk with puppers.

Today's plan is to finish work...only 6-7 hours left!) then head home for bodyweight circuits and Diablo necromancer...finally got Rathma's set completed so I can steamroll (finally finish Act V). Been running through adventure games on torment 5...guessing regular story will be a cakewalk at this point, just want to see the rest of the story at this point.

5 days counting till I just get a crap ton of giftcards for the family members. 

No desserts for two days so far. Cursed chest continues strong!

• Like 3

Well...back on the horse...so to speak...

UntidyGloriousGalapagosmockingbird-size_

Didn't realize a 5 hour leaf removal marathon would have a 24 hour cooldown...I did get out on a walk last night.

Today's run down-got shit done at work despite life's best attempts to do otherwise.

Got back to the bodyweight circuit. Still using chair to assist on chinups and pullups, but I managed 10x3 pullups (over hand grip) and 10x2 and 9x1 chin ups (underhand grip). I'm choosing to count that as progress.

Cursed chest-have maintained no dessert/snacks within last two hours of the day.

• Like 3

meant to share this the other day...inspired by @Tanktimus the Encourager thread of food wonders...

image.png.6220c3a734ecdbd684532cb222ae95d4.png

momofuku style pork should

1 pork shoulder (8-10 lbs)

1 cup salt

1 cup white sugar 

~1 cup brown sugar

heavy dash salt

1-3 cups stock of choice (veggie or beef work well)

Pack 1 cup salt and 1 cup white sugar around pork shoulder.

Wrap in foil well and cure in fridge over night (place in a pan or cookie sheet to collect any liquid).

In morning, drain off liquid. Place shoulder in 9x13 pan with 1-3 cups stock of choice.

Bake at 300 degrees for 6-8 hours until meat peels easily with a fork. Remove from oven.

Drain off liquid into a bowl (I tend to skim off the fat and add the liquid back to the shoulder meat after shredding, could probably turn this into a sauce somehow, I'm open to suggestions).

Pack top of shoulder with brown sugar and heavy dash salt. Place under broiler till sugar melts (careful as brown sugar can catch fire/burn).

Shred shoulder with forks and eat however you want

tumblr_lgslykEox31qdp3rbo1_500.gif

• Like 3

12 hours ago, farflight said:

Well...back on the horse...so to speak...

UntidyGloriousGalapagosmockingbird-size_

Didn't realize a 5 hour leaf removal marathon would have a 24 hour cooldown...I did get out on a walk last night.

Today's run down-got shit done at work despite life's best attempts to do otherwise.

Got back to the bodyweight circuit. Still using chair to assist on chinups and pullups, but I managed 10x3 pullups (over hand grip) and 10x2 and 9x1 chin ups (underhand grip). I'm choosing to count that as progress.

Cursed chest-have maintained no dessert/snacks within last two hours of the day.

Sounds good. Especially defying life's attempts at sabotage. Sneaky life.

That looks and sounds incredible, well done.

7 hours ago, farflight said:

Drain off liquid into a bowl (I tend to skim off the fat and add the liquid back to the shoulder meat after shredding, could probably turn this into a sauce somehow, I'm open to suggestions).

Welcome to today's edition of Cooking with Tank.  When wanting to make a sauce from meat drippings, the three basic things you need are fat, starch, and liquid. 

Assuming you have no objections to wheat, let's start with a sauce using flour. Take the fat you skimmed off the excess liquid and melt it. Add an equal amount of flour (by volume) once it's melted. It's ok to eyeball, provided you start out very conservatively. Mix the fat and flour together, and let it cook slightly. Add in some of the liquid from the shoulder (not much) and stirr it in to the roe (the fancy term for the fat and starch mixture). Once it incorporates, add a little more. Keep adding this till it looks right, stirring constantly. Remember, it's easy to add more liquid, it's hard to thicken thin sauce. Other thickeners you could use are corn starch (you don't use nearly as much as you would with flour) or arrowroot powder (like a paleo substitute for corn startch). Paleo "Flours" don't always work well, since it's something about the starch that helps the sauce thicken. Once you have the desired consistency, let it simmer slowly (bubbling a bit but not a full on boil) for a bit.

• Like 1

On 11/27/2018 at 11:05 AM, Harriet said:

The people I know just buy things themselves if they want them. My dad's side of the family keep buying each other expensive crap that no one really needs because they've all spent 40 years setting up their homes just the way they like them. I guess Christmas made more sense when people had less and needed more. Or for children, obviously, who always want stuff but don't have incomes. Anyway, with my immediate family now we just do little things that are either consumable or practical so we don't end up with clutter and unwanted stuff that goes to waste.

Yes! I do make a point of trying to hold off on a few desires precisely for this reason. (I have asked my husband for a cast iron skillet so I can make steak at home. He is totally down with this. :) Because I am practical, stuff like this is always fun with the students. Husband and I work together, so when he gets me things like a new vacuum cleaner for our anniversary, it's because I ask for them. He doesn't tell the kids that, though; he just tells them that he got me X for X occasion and causes outrage, especially with the girls. Good times--lol. ) That said, I generally hate the gift side of Christmas because money feels like cheating (though it's usually the most practical gift), and I usually do not just happen across some awesome OMG THIS WOULD BE PERFECT FOR X. 

Good luck, @farflight :)

On 11/27/2018 at 11:05 AM, Harriet said:

underwear, edibles.

Uh, juxtaposition -- lol. 

• Like 2