• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

farflight

Farflight fights the lords of winter....

1 hour ago, Katerina said:

Yes! I do make a point of trying to hold off on a few desires precisely for this reason. (I have asked my husband for a cast iron skillet so I can make steak at home. He is totally down with this. :) Because I am practical, stuff like this is always fun with the students. Husband and I work together, so when he gets me things like a new vacuum cleaner for our anniversary, it's because I ask for them. He doesn't tell the kids that, though; he just tells them that he got me X for X occasion and causes outrage, especially with the girls. Good times--lol. ) That said, I generally hate the gift side of Christmas because money feels like cheating (though it's usually the most practical gift), and I usually do not just happen across some awesome OMG THIS WOULD BE PERFECT FOR X. 

Good luck, @farflight :)

Uh, juxtaposition -- lol. 

Hmmm, so that's an idea. Not buy all the things I want but tell Mr Harriet about them. But the MEN in my life probably wouldn't be good at this. 

Lol, I should have said socks, jocks and chocs. Autocorrect wants to make it crocs tho. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Annnnnd we're back...not that I went anywhere...actually just sat inside >:-|

Catching up from last week...social life took off a little Thursday and Friday, didn't do jack...like anything, didn't go outside for activity, didn't do bodyweight circuits, eating was relatively on track (huzzah for eating healthy for 5 years, puts it a tad on auto-pilot).

Cue up Saturday evening dinner: slab of ribs...mmmmm...and yes, I ate the whole damn thing...got a tad 'meat stoned' but didn't get the meat sweats, it was close.

Fade into new setting: late evening (9ish), cloudy/misty all day, no stars, light drizzle and blisteringly cold (~28 degrees F). Went on two walks, first walk was in tennis shoes...I didn't do a good job dodging puddles. Cut the walk short to go find the feeling in my feet and put on boots, after 'rerolling' my equipment, walked 2 miles in freezing rain/mist...was actually quite calming and puppy loved it (she avoided puddles way better than I).

Cue up Sunday-I submit, the best part of 830 church is 940 grocery (Aldi) in my case. Hit up church, grocery, saw a holiday parade with family and nephews. Got asked to throw football with nephews...I'm man enough to admit it made me tear up a tad (no kids of my own). Stole firewood from a friend, went home to a hibachi dinner. Built fire in newly repaired fireplace. Walked 2.7 miles in 27 degrees (F), no rain.

TLDR Version

Didn't do sh!t exercise/activity wise Thursday/Friday. Got back on the wagon Saturday and Yesterday, cried a little when playing with nephews

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Harriet said:

But the MEN in my life probably wouldn't be good at this. 

Lol, I should have said socks, jocks and chocs. Autocorrect wants to make it crocs tho.

1) I tended to do alright when a female said "Hey....Adam...I want X" instead of the fun oblique references of "it'd be really nice if I had Y" (I am not saying that's how most women communicate, just how those in my life have communicated, similar to the old question "hey, adam, do you WANT to go shopping?" Response:"the answer to that will always be No")

2) Why does everyone hate on crocs...they are comfortable, light and easily donned/doffed, they make great house shoes, campsite shoes, etc. And, since they are ugly as sin I'll repeat what I told my nephew one day, at brunch, in my bright blue crocs..."Hey, no one will steal them AND they're comfortable"

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, farflight said:

1) I tended to do alright when a female said "Hey....Adam...I want X" instead of the fun oblique references of "it'd be really nice if I had Y" (I am not saying that's how most women communicate, just how those in my life have communicated, similar to the old question "hey, adam, do you WANT to go shopping?" Response:"the answer to that will always be No")

2) Why does everyone hate on crocs...they are comfortable, light and easily donned/doffed, they make great house shoes, campsite shoes, etc. And, since they are ugly as sin I'll repeat what I told my nephew one day, at brunch, in my bright blue crocs..."Hey, no one will steal them AND they're comfortable"

Nothing wrong with a bit of untheftable ugly, though I would prefer chocolates. But my brother and I have settled down with Germans, so our ugly practical shoe of choice is Birkenstocks. I have actually seen my husband wear them with socks, without irony. He has had them for 20 years and is now surprised that they are cool in some places, such as Berkeley. Anyway, to wildly generalise, the Germans seem to appreciate "natural" things like leather shoes, wooden toys for children, toothpaste with herbs (chamomile and sage), and probably wouldn't take to wearing plastic shoes as readily. 

@Harriet....I'm pretty full of german blood myself :-D

Family hales from a town called Seymour, IN. Went for a visit (first time going back as an adult on my own) to see some of their old places. To put it in perspective, my dad's old church...has grave markers in german...lol

The whole town is VERY german. Paternal side makes me 3rd or 4th generation (can't remember, but grandmother spoke fluent german). Mom's side is all german with a dash of irish somehow.

But your pretty spot on with regards to the desire for natural things and back to basics. I get around that with my crocs based on their basic practicality. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

If you're going to ask and answer your own question what do you need me for?

....I forget about fashion...all the time. I tend to lean all the way towards pragmatics and comfort. I don't really care how things look, rather how the feel/function.

Public service announcement.....

Before you go swimming, wait 30 minutes, brush your teeth, these are all things we know.....Don't eat a shit ton of italian food then go work out...even if you wait 30 minutes...it's not long enough for shit to settle...I didn't puke but came damn near.......now back to your regularly scheduled post....

Yesterday was a mixed bag day. Health and fitness wise...I'd call it a win. Walked the dog about 1.6 miles, her limp might be gone, gonna shoot for 2-2.5 this afternoon. Had a good dinner with the mother of farflight at a local family italian joint...fresh baked bread, toasted ravioli, chicken parmesean, and tirimasu (I didn't clean my plates, but still indulged a little). 

Follower of the Ancients: bodyweight circuits completed. On chin/pull ups managed 10x3 (chair assisted). Still unsure if I'm using legs to push off (I'm really trying not to), but at least I'm up to 10 now, so....yea progress

Iron skin/ignore pain-after the sloth of last week, I'm back outside, numbing my hands, and walking the dog...she doesn't seem to mind the cold...I seem to have poor circulation...it still does wonders for my head to get out in the cold air and raise the heart rate some. Curious what you other warriors walk speed is set to...I seem to average 13-14 minute miles when walking with my dog

Equipping followers-Getting gift cards/cash cards this weekend after payday. Tired of waiting...speaking of finances...

Kannais teaching-literally just changed some of my credit card repayment options. I think some of the mental/financial distress is that I was putting every cent not used for bills/dates (not that many) was going towards CC debt, which is fine, if I could hit the payoff by end of promo period...I can't. Bumping down payments to a more manageable level and will start funneling a couple hundred/pay period into my savings account. I did just get hit with a $990 bill for my car...stupid water pump (design of the engine makes it a 6.5 hour job...labor costs). But their work is guaranteed for 2 years. I've got an automotive card that is carrying an interest fee tire purchase, almost paid off. Gonna investigate if I can use that card for the 990. I don't have 990 this week, but I should be able to pay it off if I can do the same interest free for 6 months...god I need a rainy day fund...

Guess I should pretend to work since I AM at a school!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, farflight said:

@Harriet....I'm pretty full of german blood myself :-D

Family hales from a town called Seymour, IN. Went for a visit (first time going back as an adult on my own) to see some of their old places. To put it in perspective, my dad's old church...has grave markers in german...lol

The whole town is VERY german. Paternal side makes me 3rd or 4th generation (can't remember, but grandmother spoke fluent german). Mom's side is all german with a dash of irish somehow.

But your pretty spot on with regards to the desire for natural things and back to basics. I get around that with my crocs based on their basic practicality. 

That's actually super interesting that you found where (if I understand correctly) your German ancestors came to America. Must have been an interesting but difficult time for them, and the country generally. So much change.

On 12/10/2018 at 7:00 AM, farflight said:

Cue up Sunday-I submit, the best part of 830 church is 940 grocery (Aldi) in my case. Hit up church, grocery, saw a holiday parade with family and nephews. Got asked to throw football with nephews...I'm man enough to admit it made me tear up a tad (no kids of my own). 

This is sweet. I have four nieces. They're still young and playing with them can be intense. It's kind of exhausting if you become the sole focus of their attention for a while. I guess older kids are more relaxed, playing football sounds fun.

26 minutes ago, farflight said:

Iron skin/ignore pain-after the sloth of last week, I'm back outside, numbing my hands, and walking the dog...she doesn't seem to mind the cold...I seem to have poor circulation...it still does wonders for my head to get out in the cold air and raise the heart rate some. Curious what you other warriors walk speed is set to...I seem to average 13-14 minute miles when walking with my dog

Me too, re circulation. Since I started lifting, I'm warmer all the time, except for my necromancer hands. Very annoying to be hot and cold at the same time.

Sorry about the financial/mental stress. Having longer-term things that you can't immediately get to work on fixing can be quite stressful. It's one of those things where you can't just pour effort into it and be done. Anyway, it sounds like you have a plan, so hopefully things will slowly get to where you want.

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Me too, re circulation. Since I started lifting, I'm warmer all the time, except for my necromancer hands. Very annoying to be hot and cold at the same time.

Related image

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, farflight said:

....I forget about fashion...all the time. I tend to lean all the way towards pragmatics and comfort. I don't really care how things look, rather how the feel/function.

Pardon the double post, but I had to respond to this.

There's forgetting about fashion, then there's crocs. Also. Shorts and a ski mask. You might as well knock on doors to check on peoples plumbing.

Related image

• Like 1

On 12/11/2018 at 12:03 PM, Grumble said:

There's forgetting about fashion, then there's crocs. Also. Shorts and a ski mask. You might as well knock on doors to check on peoples plumbing.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=11942154

Thats right...uh huh!

Yesterday was a day...Got a small...VERY small walk in at 1 mile. Went and saw christmas lights and had a lovely 1400 calories dinner courtesy of cheddars...mmmmmm cheese fries and actual housemade ranch......

Also, did my bodyweight circuit before we went out...Came home, had hot chocolate infront of the fire in the living room. All in all it was a good day...

FocusedMeagerBighornsheep-size_restricte

• Like 3

On 12/11/2018 at 11:03 AM, Grumble said:

Please tell me that was not a euphemism.

Friday!!!!Conan-The-Barbarian-Sees-Something-Shock

giphy.gif

One more week till christmas break (1 week off for me!).

Yesterday was a day. God a good 2.5 mile walk in, puppers seems to limp less when I slow my roll and walk a 15 min mile as opposed to my normal 13'15 mile...damn shame.

Follower of the Ancients-have maintained the circuits. Should do one this evening before doing anything socially. Since most of my work day today will be waiting on parents to not come to their children's IEP meetings, I'll probably read some steve stuff about pull ups. Anyone got input on negatives versus chair assisted pull/chin ups?

Equipping followers-Friday...PAYDAY BITCHES! Going to the ATM after work to get cash for people's presents and then running errands tomorrow to get those presents.

Kannai's teachings-Moving $150 bucks from checking to savings....right...NOW! (yes I actually went to a tab and did it now)

Cursed chest-I might've found a hack around the cursed chest, need to evaluate my strategy, I've had no problem not eating sweets/dessert after dinner...now it seems to happen in 'grazing' prior to dinner. Made 48 oatmeal cookies yesterday before dinner, I ate about 4 prior to making my dinner. I will package them up tonight and find people to give them to...they are delicious though :-P

• Like 3

1 hour ago, farflight said:

One more week till christmas break

I hear that! The kids are so squirrelly! Just get me there.  . . .

Hooray on the walk! I got over 10k steps in yesterday just largely running around during the day.

Made 48 oatmeal cookies yesterday before dinner, I ate about 4 prior to making my dinner

Yep. I got AMAZING toffee from my Secret Santa. I ate a whole piece and then looked up calories. (Gasp!) That reality check resulted in an uptick in my generosity. My students with their teenage metabolisms can better afford it. I did allow myself 1/3 piece yesterday. 

Good luck with the next week!

On 12/14/2018 at 6:56 AM, farflight said:

Yesterday was a day. God a good 2.5 mile walk in, puppers seems to limp less when I slow my roll and walk a 15 min mile as opposed to my normal 13'15 mile...damn shame.

Ooh, sorry pup is still limping. Sharing baked things is a good idea, because no recipe for biscuits or cake was ever designed to make one slice. Or three biscuits. Or an appropriate amount for one person. But baking is lovely. But then you're surrounded by your tempting creations, which are even more delicious because you created them with your hands like a wizard.