• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Charlie_Quinn

C_Q: Oh my Glob! It’s Adventure Time!

excited adventure time GIF

I started watching Adventure Time earlier a few months ago and fell in love with it. It’s sweet, moving and completely stupid! I’m only just getting to the end of season 5, so please no spoilers!

During the middle of the last challenge I set out my plan for the next 6 months. I've stuck it in the spoiler here (cos it's loooong)

Spoiler

The 2018 OCR season is over and other than a few road races, I have nothing in my running diary until March 2019. This means the next few months will be dedicated to one goal:

Qualifying for the OCR World Champs 2019

I'm in good shape right now, but nowhere near good enough to qualify. After the race this weekend, I identified a few key things I'm going to need to improve to ensure I qualify.

Speed
There's no sugarcoating this. I'm a slow runner. Qualifying means running faster than 90-95% of the people in your age-gender category. I have the potential to be faster, if I put the effort in. To get fast, you have to run fast. So that means doing tempo and speed work sessions weekly.

Grip

When I was bouldering regularly, my grip got really good. I broke my finger in September 2017 and never got back into the habit of bouldering and my grip has suffered massively because of this. Not only do my hands burn out quickly, my forearms aren't very conditioned. The plan is to boulder once a week with @Rhovaniel and go to an OCR training facility when possible so I can practice obstacle techniques, especially rig techniques.

Strength Endurance

I'm strong for my size, but I tire easily. I know from marshaling at OCRWC that there are numerous carries (and the weights are the same for men and women). This element is going to be the hardest for me to work as I only have the facility to do static strength work with weights. I go to Be Military Fit (bootcamp) classes once a week, but these are body-weight based and not kit classes - I'm hoping that the company will change this in the near future, but if not, I may have to re-evaluate if these classes are working for me. 

The Road to Qualification

My main shot at qualification will be Nuclear Oblivion in May. This is a lapped course of 12km per lap and you auto qualify for OCRWC if you complete 3 laps within 8.5 hours. This is going to be my best shot at qualification and should be achievable with consistent training. If I fail on this, my back up plan is to run a Spartan Race in June or July in the Age Group wave. I'd rather not have to take this route as this will be a harder qualifying criteria (qualifying is essentially a numbers game. The more people in your age group at an event, the harder it is to qualify).

I'll be pre-registering as an age group competitor for worlds, If I don't qualify, I can change to run in the Journeyman wave instead (as long as you've run any 3 OCRs in the year, you can register as a Journeyman/woman) BUT it will cost me $25 per race to switch. So this is an extra incentive for me to put the effort in to try and qualify! 

tl/dr version

I've signed up to the OCR World Champs in October next year in the Age group category. The plan is to qualify at Nuclear Oblivion in May

Challenge Goals

1. Finn the Human

Adventure Time Hair GIF

Stick to My Training plan
Running 

3 runs per week: Easy / Interval or Tempo run / Long Run
Strength & Conditioning

3 sessions per week: Lifting / BMF / Bouldering

Any combination of the above S&C is allowed, so if I can't climb for whatever reason, I can do a lifting session instead. 

2. Jake the Dog

Adventure Time Dancing GIF

PT & Rehab

As a lot of you know, I injured my hip/glute in July and it still causes me issues. If I don't stretch every day and keep up with my PT, I'm going to start having serious problems when my running mileage starts increasing.

Stretch daily

Do my PT exercises twice a week

3. Marceline the Vampire Queen

Eat Adventure Time GIF

Eat enough & Don’t eat like a dick!

I regularly don't eat enough to fuel myself properly which then causes me to eat all the wrong things when the inevitable hungry pangs strike! This is a work in progress, so this goal is here to remind me to be mindful of what I'm eating. 

Prep lunches for office work days at the weekend

I've got into the habit recently of making my work lunches on a Sunday so I have enough to eat during the week and don't end up snacking on the junk food that people buy for the office. The goal is just to keep this habit going!

• Like 13

Yayyyy maor amazing cartoons :D Adventure Time is so fun! I love how the episodes are super short too, so you can relax and watch something without getting sucked into something.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Raxie said:

Yayyyy maor amazing cartoons :D Adventure Time is so fun! I love how the episodes are super short too, so you can relax and watch something without getting sucked into something.

Your challenge may have inspired me a little! I was going to have a She-Ra theme but I've not been enjoying the reboot as much as I hoped I would. When I saw your Gravity Falls theme, I remembered Adventure Time! 

They pack so much into those ten minutes too. Regardless of the short runtime, there's over 40 episodes in season 5! It's taken me forever to get through it.

22 minutes ago, Wolfpool said:

Image result for deadpool adventure time

Image result for deadpool adventure time

Following!

Wolf

Is there anything they haven't Deadpooled? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Is there anything they haven't Deadpooled? :lol:

Apparently Boy Meets World, my challenge last time defeated the great Wolf at his Deadpool google skillz. 

• Like 2

Lol, one day you'll post a challenge theme based on a show I have seen.

Of course I'm following along, even if I suck at watching tv apparently :P 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Salinger said:

Following to cheer you on and watch you be amazing like you always are :) 

Always good to have you here.

15 hours ago, Raxie said:

Apparently Boy Meets World, my challenge last time defeated the great Wolf at his Deadpool google skillz. 

I notice there was no DP on your current theme either. Maybe you've defeated him twice in a row?!

The gauntlet has been thrown down @Wolfpool!

14 hours ago, iatetheyeti said:

Following along :D 

Hi!

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

h422E16A3

Following!

The movement of that gif is........worrying

9 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Lol, one day you'll post a challenge theme based on a show I have seen.

Of course I'm following along, even if I suck at watching tv apparently :P 

Or maybe I watch a lot of crap! Stu certainly seems to think so. Our TV tastes rarely overlap!

Any ideas for future themes?

9 hours ago, EricMN said:

This main 2019 goal is gonna be fun to watch.

Hey Eric! Great to see you again. I just had a peak at your challenge. As much as I would have loved to see you at OCRWC next year, doing the Sparta Spartan Trifecta Champs will be amazing. I watched the live feed of the race this year and it looked Epic.

• Like 3

Week Zero

I'm glad it's week zero as my plans are a little off kilter due to a few things

1] My hip/glute hasn't been happy this week. My own fault, I pushed it to hard bouldering on Sunday. 

2] I've got a road race on Sunday so my training schedule will be a little out of order.

1. Finn the Human - Stick to My Training plan
Running 1/3

Strength & Conditioning 0/3

2. Jake the Dog - PT & Rehab

Stretch daily 0 DAYS MISSED

Do my PT exercises twice a week 1/2

So far this week, all I've done is an easy run last night and my PT exercises. BMF won't be done this week as I'm cautious of overloading my glutes right before a race. Right now I'm having to find the balance between loading the muscles so they get stronger (better) and overloading them and causing them to flare up. It's frustrating, especially when you want to improve and DO ALL THE THINGS! 

3. Marceline the Vampire Queen - Nutrition

Eat enough & Don’t eat like a dick!

Prep lunches for office work days at the weekend DONE (SUNDAY 18TH)

Eating could possibly be a little better this week. My breakfast hasn't been as big as it normally is (I ran out of eggs) so I've been feeling hungry by the time I get to work.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Salinger said:

I had them, and my egg just stuff to it hahahahaha and fell apart! im destined to never make them! x

One squirt of spray oil on the bottom of each pod and then scoop the egg out with a spoon instead of trying to 'pop' it out. It took me multiple failures to figure this out!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

One squirt of spray oil on the bottom of each pod and then scoop the egg out with a spoon instead of trying to 'pop' it out. It took me multiple failures to figure this out!

ooooooooh game changer!!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Following for the OCR madness. B)

Not much OCR madness right now, just lots and lots of talk about future madness! 

3 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Damn you and your inspirational ways!  I kind of (really) want to try for age group now so I can run with you... is it impolite to ask which bracket you're in?

@jonfirestar was right. We are a bad influence! :D 

It's not impolite, I'm in the 35-39 age bracket. 

2 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hey Charlie, was thinking of you last night, in a non weird way. Just that i hope we can meet soon!!! x

I hope so too! 

• Like 3