• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Charlie_Quinn

C_Q: Oh my Glob! It’s Adventure Time!

Recommended Posts

My hip and glute are really pissing me off this week!

adventure time wtf GIF

 

I'm going to rest it for the next few days. My left quad and hip flexor feel really tight so I think that's why it's feeling a little off. A couple of days of just stretching and PT and no running until Sunday when I have the 5 mile race. Not what I want but it's necessary. 

 

Week Zero - Wednesday

 

1. Finn the Human - Stick to My Training plan
Running 1/3

Strength & Conditioning 1/3

 

2. Jake the Dog - PT & Rehab

Stretch daily 0 DAYS MISSED

Do my PT exercises twice a week 1/2

 

3. Marceline the Vampire Queen - Nutrition

Eat enough & Don’t eat like a dick!

Didn't eat enough yesterday and my stomach was rumbling a little when I got home. But I ignored it and did my lifting anyway. Then I ate a very large dinner and a very large breakfast this morning! 

Prep lunches for office work days at the weekend DONE (SUNDAY 18TH)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Must be getting old, just couldn't see what's got people so excited about Adventure Time (or Rick & Morty, for that matter). Still, will be checking in to monitor your progress and cheer you on!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/21/2018 at 4:17 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Or maybe I watch a lot of crap! Stu certainly seems to think so. Our TV tastes rarely overlap!

 

Any ideas for future themes?

Lol, I'm not complaining, I get ideas of things to watch from your challenges. I binged Kimmy after that challenge :)

 

Have you seen my challenges? I haven't had a theme since.....ever? I'm no good at the ideas :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Must be getting old, just couldn't see what's got people so excited about Adventure Time (or Rick & Morty, for that matter). Still, will be checking in to monitor your progress and cheer you on!

 

It can't be an age thing as I'm older than you are! It appeals to my weird. I've always been drawn to things that are surreal but slightly silly (e.g Monty Python). My brother tried to get me into Rick and Morty but I gave up after one episode. 

 

21 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Usually I'd just #BlameCharlie and run away but after I talked @Rhovaniel into Oblivion I can't really dodge the blame :D 

 

:D We'll need a new hashtag soon.  #jonsfault ?

 

17 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Lol, I'm not complaining, I get ideas of things to watch from your challenges. I binged Kimmy after that challenge :)

 

Have you seen my challenges? I haven't had a theme since.....ever? I'm no good at the ideas :)

 

I'm good at starting themes but not sticking with them! I love how some people are able to set up their challenge with a big complicated theme with points and so on. Everytime I've tried that it's stressed me out!

 

16 hours ago, Salinger said:

Sorry your hip is playing up!! Hope it heals quickly! x

 

Thank you. It's starting to feel better. 

 

10 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Image result for adventure time excited gif

 

Not sure what the gif is saying, but I like it! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week Zero - Thursday

adventure time applause GIF

1. Finn the Human - Stick to My Training plan
Running 1/3

Strength & Conditioning 2/3

I might be taking a few days off to let the hip heal, but that doesn't mean I can't do grip and pull up work! I've acquired a lot of toys for working grip over the past few years, so I brought them all out and did hangs with various grips and also did some banded work on strict form pull ups from a dead-hang. I've never been able to pull myself up from a straight armed hang and it really annoys me. I'm going to try to work on this as much as possible over the next few weeks (it'll be an unofficial mini challenge) with the aim of doing a strict dead-hang pull up by the end of this challenge.

2. Jake the Dog - PT & Rehab

Stretch daily 0 DAYS MISSED

Do my PT exercises twice a week 2/2

 

3. Marceline the Vampire Queen - Nutrition

Eat enough & Don’t eat like a dick!

I ate more than enough yesterday which prevented unwanted snacking. I felt like I wanted something sweet after dinner, but I didn't actually have anything sweet in the house. If we buy chocolate or cookies they just get eaten in one sitting, so we just don't buy them. This stops us pigging out on junk, but it's really annoying when you haven't had any treats in a few days and you really want something! I could have had a beer instead but I decided against it. 

Prep lunches for office work days at the weekend DONE (SUNDAY 18TH)

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I've never been able to pull myself up from a straight armed hang and it really annoys me.

You know, with the things I've seen you do with obstacles this really surprises me! I'm going to go out on  a limb and say that this isn't because you are not strong enough to do it, but that you don't yet know how. If that makes sense. Anyway I know what I mean! You are incredibly strong and badass you are going to annihilate this unofficial mini! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll agree with Jon there. By "straight armed hang" I'm assuming kipping is out of the question? In either case, do you simply use your arms and shoulders to pull up? Is your core and abdomen tight?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2018 at 11:18 AM, Salinger said:

Good job Charlie!!!! xx

 

Thanks!

 

On 11/23/2018 at 3:53 PM, jonfirestar said:

You know, with the things I've seen you do with obstacles this really surprises me! I'm going to go out on  a limb and say that this isn't because you are not strong enough to do it, but that you don't yet know how. If that makes sense. Anyway I know what I mean! You are incredibly strong and badass you are going to annihilate this unofficial mini! 

 

That makes perfect sense, and you're right. The movement feels very unnatural and it took a few attempts with the resistance bands to really get the hang of it. It certainly is something that impacts OCRs. If I can master this then it will make it a lot easier to get up quarter pipes when the wall is slippy as I'll be able to pull my weight up to the top of the wall without it completely destroying me!

 

On 11/23/2018 at 4:11 PM, DarK_RaideR said:

I'll agree with Jon there. By "straight armed hang" I'm assuming kipping is out of the question? In either case, do you simply use your arms and shoulders to pull up? Is your core and abdomen tight?

 

I'd rather not doing them kipping. I'd like to do it from a static hang if possible. I try to keep my core as tight as possible, with the little muscles I have there!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week Zero Wrap Up

 

Friday

Complete rest day so nothing done except my daily stretching.

 

Saturday

Prep lunches for office work days at the weekend DONE 

After food shopping in the morning I spent a few hours in the kitchen prepping lunches and breakfasts for the week (thanks to @jonfirestar for the breakfast burrito recipe) I now have no room in my freezer!

 

Sunday

Finn the Human - Stick to My Training plan
Running 2/3

Cool Adventure Time GIF

 

Kinda, yeah! I had my last race of the year today (5 mile) and I wasn't expecting anything good to happen, because I've only just started running consistently again and because of the way my injury has been feeling this week.

Well, shows what I know. I GOT A PB! I did the run with my SIL 'B' and at the start I told her I was going to be slow so to wait for me at the end. I started at a good pace and didn't expect to keep it up for long but I actually managed to keep at a good pace for over 3 miles. It wasn't a consistent pace, but it was faster than I expected to run. I flagged a little in the middle but I managed to pick up the pace again for the last 2 miles and when I realised I could get a sub 50, I picked up the pace and even had enough in the tank for a sprint finish. I missed the sub 50, but I got 50:36, which I'm more than happy with. 

Happy Adventure Time GIF

 

With some more training over the next few weeks, I'll easily get a sub 50 5 mile and probably a sub 60 10k too. I'm feeling good after this. I was feeling like my running wasn't where I wanted it to be right now, but this has shown me that the work pays off. I've just got to keep it up!

Strength & Conditioning 3/3

My hip felt really good after the run so I decided to stick with my plan to go climbing so @Rhovaniel and I got in a quick bouldering session. Both of us were feeling a little off, so we scaled it back a little, but I think we were both glad that we went regardless. 

 

Final Week Zero Numbers

1. Finn the Human - Stick to My Training plan
Running 2/3

Strength & Conditioning 3/3

 

2. Jake the Dog - PT & Rehab

Stretch daily 0 DAYS MISSED

Do my PT exercises twice a week 2/2

 

3. Marceline the Vampire Queen - Nutrition

Eat enough & Don’t eat like a dick! PASS

Prep lunches for office work days at the weekend DONE

 

Nearly a perfect score, just one run missed and that was done for rehab reasons so I can't count that as a failure.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations on the PB!

 

Also, since we got into pull-ups and kipping:

I tend to agree with the man, CF coaches tend to teach kipping as a "cheat shortcut" so people can do pull-ups, but that leads to never doing the strict ones to build strength. The idea is and should be that pull-ups are only strict, with kipping and butterfly being special techniques for competitive events.

What I'm saying is, your point of view is right and as time goes by, the paradigm is shifting towards it.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

After food shopping in the morning I spent a few hours in the kitchen prepping lunches and breakfasts for the week (thanks to @jonfirestar for the breakfast burrito recipe) I now have no room in my freezer!

 

I hope you enjoy them :) 

 

Well done on that PR. I really want to see you break that sub 60 minute 10k next year! 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

 

I hope you enjoy them :) 

 

 

That's going to be stuck in my head every time I eat my breakfast burrito from now on! I had my first one this morning and I haven't felt the need to eat anything else yet. So that's good. I'll probably add some sriracha to tomorrow's though as it needed some kind of sauce.

 

24 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Well done on that PR. I really want to see you break that sub 60 minute 10k next year! 

 

I may have been scanning the internet this morning for a 10k early next year. The only one I've got is Cliveden and that is definitely not a PB course!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

That's going to be stuck in my head every time I eat my breakfast burrito from now on! I had my first one this morning and I haven't felt the need to eat anything else yet. So that's good. I'll probably add some sriracha to tomorrow's though as it needed some kind of sauce.

 

You can thank Heather for discovering that little gem. Yes Sriracha is a good idea :) I might have mentioned that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Congratulations on the PB!

 

Also, since we got into pull-ups and kipping:

I tend to agree with the man, CF coaches tend to teach kipping as a "cheat shortcut" so people can do pull-ups, but that leads to never doing the strict ones to build strength. The idea is and should be that pull-ups are only strict, with kipping and butterfly being special techniques for competitive events.

What I'm saying is, your point of view is right and as time goes by, the paradigm is shifting towards it.

 

I've got a lot of respect for a CEO can stand up and say 'you know what? I was wrong about this' Good on him. 

 

I'm sure kipping has it's plus sides for some people, but I think for OCR and Climbing, strict pull-ups are better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

HERE! And super excited about your plans!!! :D 

 

Congrats on the PB!

 

Hi! I'm super excited too!

 

7 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Nice work on the PB!

 

Thank you!

 

45 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

As if I couldn't like you even more! 

 

Charlie's food rule: If something needs improving, the answer is usually cheese, bacon, chili sauce, or all of the above.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.