• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan on the Road to AwesomeDad™ - Pt. III

6 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Dinner will be whatever I can scrounge together. We urgently need to do some grocery shopping, so there's almost no meat in the house.
But I seem to recall we do have 3 bell peppers left, a carton of eggs and some Parmesan cheese slivers. Methinks I'll be combining those for oven-baked eggs in bell pepper cups. B)

Oh no problem! There are a world of options with those ingredients! 

7 hours ago, Salinger said:

SOunds yummy!!!! Photos please :) x

BellPepperCups.jpg

BellPepperCups2.jpg

Five minutes of prepwork, 25 minutes in the oven. Easy meal.

I prepped it during my workout (inbetween my warm up and first three sets), put it in the oven before my fourth set, and had it ready by the time I had finished my last set, my bar hanging sets and my stretching routine.

And if you hadn't asked for photos, I probably wouldn't have bothered adding a bit of paprika powder on top after taking it out of the oven. :angel:

Not that you can tell because of the crappy quality of my smartphone cam... Not-Amused.png

It was pretty good. I liked how the eggs in the largest bell pepper were still a bit runny.

Definitely a full meal. :)

• Like 2

This morning I took my daughter to her swim class and went to the butcher's shop while she was swimming, just like in previous weeks.

So of course, I also brought some (lightly smoked) hard sausages with me, because at that particular butcher's they're irresistible.

I had them as a sort of in-between meal between the breakfast I skipped and the lunch I planned on skipping. :P

While I took my son to his gym class, the missus had prepared lunch anyway, so there was no getting out of that one. To be honest, I hadn't exactly told her I was planning on skipping lunch (because she wouldn't approve), but I hadn't counted on it being an actual prepared meal instead of just bread and cold cuts, since we were expected at my parents in the afternoon.

Dinner at my parents was pancakes. A yearly All Saints' Day tradition that got postponed this year (because we were on vacation that week and my parents had plans of their own as well).

Portion control at my parents' wasn't the best. I had a handful of Nic-Nac cookies and a handful of marshmallow-like candies, and I ate 7 pancakes (+/- 400 grams) with powdered sugar and whipped cream. Calorie bomb.

I also had 2 cans of Ice Tea. I only planned on one, but my mom gave me a second one without asking and I pretty much went "meh". :)

I weighed in at 99.2 kg this morning. The first time under 100 kg in a decade or so. I'll probably be over again today, but I have 6 more days to rectify that. :D

And I finished the day with a couple of minutes of rope jumping, 60 seconds of planking, and a burpee AMRAP.

So that deserves a song. This time it's #143, which is In Extremo again, this time with a cover of Editors' "An End Has a Start".

Not the only contested cover in my Top 300 (just wait until we get to #61). :D

I really like the original by Editors, but for me there's something very appealing to this harder version with added bagpipes, even if the English pronunciation takes a nosedive here. :P

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Dinner at my parents was pancakes. A yearly All Saints' Day tradition that got postponed this year (because we were on vacation that week and my parents had plans of their own as well).

That is the first time I heard of pancakes for All Saints' Day!  We have always done the Pancake Tuesday dinner before Lent, but the more days in a year you have pancakes for dinner the better. :)  I am sure you will work them off over the week.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

That is the first time I heard of pancakes for All Saints' Day!  We have always done the Pancake Tuesday dinner before Lent, but the more days in a year you have pancakes for dinner the better. :)  I am sure you will work them off over the week.

It's a very local tradition. As in "the town I grew up in only". Possibly even more local. Maybe only my mom's side of the family. :P

I don't know. It's always been a tradition on All Saints' Day at my parents' house. And I know others from that town who claim the same. The missus had never heard of it, and she grew up a mere 12 miles away... :)

12 hours ago, Salinger said:

yeahhh pancakes :) i have lemon and sugar on mine. *drool* have a great Sunday !! x

Lemon?

*takes notes*

8 hours ago, Arkania said:

Per pancake? :o

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bfb03cc4d67655732

Total. 18 per kilo --> 7 is 400 grams.

Plus 4 teaspoons of powdered sugar, and probably half a spray can of whipped cream. :P

• Like 3

1 minute ago, TimovieMan said:

Lemon?

*takes notes*

Reminds me of the icing we make sometimes for cookies.

Powdered sugar with lemon juice instead of water. Tastes nice.

We went to a Saint Nicholas event in Ghent for the kids. Kids got to colour and cut their own mitre, were entertained by a couple of (politically correct) Black Petes, got to visit Saint Nicholas himself, got some candies, got to watch the new Flemish Saint Nicholas film and got a present afterwards. All in good fun.

It's pretty much the same as the event we went to last year, with the then-released Dutch Saint Nicholas film instead. Imo, the Dutch film was better. They had 80 minutes of material and made an 80 minute kids' film. For the new one, it feels like they had 50 minutes of material and made an 80 minute kids' film. And with the Flemish cast they'd assembled, I wonder how that film is ever going to make money. :P

All very politically correct, though. Black Pete is now always a "Soot Pete", which is a white guy with dirt smears instead of a white guy in blackface. And even Saint Nicholas' mitre no longer has a cross on it, to remove the reference to the Catholic church.

All the protest against Black Pete in recent years, and now the controversy around that mitre feels like a bad joke. This is a tradition aimed at 2-to-8 year olds. They don't see the racism or the religion.

It's political correctness gone mad if you ask me.

But at least it's better here than in the Netherlands where you also have a "Stroopwafel Pete" and a "Cheese Pete", which is completely bonkers. :D

Anyway, the kids had fun.

And this afternoon we played some games together.

A fun family day. B) 

• Like 1

Week Zero summary

Intermittent fasting:

- Skipped 8 meals -> would be 3 XP

- 6 days with a 16+ hour fasted state -> would be 2 XP

Averaged almost 18 hours per day!

Limiting calorie intake:

- 4 days of non-light snacking -> would be 0 XP

- 3 cans of soda -> would be 2 XP

Water consumption:

- 3+ liters per workday but no 2 liters on other days -> would be 0 XP

Sleep curfew:

- 7 days of compliance to the late curfew -  would be 1 XP

- 7 days of compliance to the middle curfew - would be 1 XP

- 5 days of compliance to the early curfew - would be 2 XP

Sleep length:

- Average sleep length of 6 hours 40 minutes -> would be 2 XP

Workouts:

- 1 workout -> would be 0 XP

Off-days:

- 2 off-days without activity -> would be 0 XP

That's 14 out of 22 XP for the week. Nutrition went well, sleep went very well, exercise suffered.

Good thing this week doesn't count... :D

Still, here's a song: #259, Patti Smith with "Because the Night"

It took me a *very* long time to decide between including the Patti Smith version, or the 10000 Maniacs cover. Patti Smith won. :)

• Like 3

Uh oh.

I told myself I wasn't going to jump back into this challenge cycle with a gamified challenge, but...

Between you and therealkat I think I'm in trouble on that front... *disappears to the Microsoft Word drawing board*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Rurik Harrgath said:

I told myself I wasn't going to jump back into this challenge cycle with a gamified challenge, but...

And by "gamified" you mean linking XP or points to the challenge, right? :P

I didn't do my workout last night, because after the kids were in bed, I checked in on the forums and while looking something up, I started nodding off. Then the missus woke me by saying "if you're that tired, you should go to bed", so I did.

Slept for 9 hours and 20 minutes and I still feel tired.

I didn't have any short nights recently, and I don't feel like I'm getting sick, so I'm going to guess it's something to do with my hemochromatosis, so I'll be making a doctor's appointment for a phlebotomy this week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I didn't do my workout last night, because after the kids were in bed, I checked in on the forums and while looking something up, I started nodding off. Then the missus woke me by saying "if you're that tired, you should go to bed", so I did.

That sounds like good advice! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

That sounds like good advice! 

She was completely baffled when I took it. :D

- "If you're that tired, you should go to bed!"

/me closes the laptop, puts it away, goes to give her a goodnight kiss.

- "What are you doing?"

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

She was completely baffled when I took it. :D

You sould have seen the reaction of mine when I started to go to bed at 10pm at the very latest! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Will catch up, but really like your specific goals set. Hope to watch you hit that bull's eye for this challenge.

Sleep, what a wondrous thing, which we don't get enough of.

Thanks!

Yes, sleep is so very important. B) 

4 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

You sould have seen the reaction of mine when I started to go to bed at 10pm at the very latest! 

The biggest reaction I got out of mine was when she walked in on me doing one of the yoga sessions. :D

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bfdb62c386e615a59

4 hours ago, Wolfpool said:

Awesome looking challenge, sir! Sorry for the late sub, but I'm here, following! 

Thanks! And Deadpool's a good way to make your entrance...

tenor.gif?itemid=11696862

• Like 1

I was going to do Bodyweight Level 3C this evening, but with the pull-up PvP, I switched it around.

See here:

I did a couple of minutes of rope skipping and then some pull-up bar work.

The jumping chin-up failed (only got up to my nose). The negative pull-ups with wide overhand and neutral grip failed (I immediately dropped 10-15 cm). But I managed a negative chin-up and followed up with a 20-second deadhang. After that I did deadhangs with the other grips as well. 40 seconds wide overhand and 30 seconds neutral.

After that I did a 12 minute core routine.

60 seconds of front plank, superman hold, side plank left, right, superman hold left, right, front plank and superman hold, with 30 seconds of rest in between each.

After that I wanted to do some more deadhanging, but then the missus started watching the first episode of Luther on Netflix, and since I have something of a mancrush on Idris Elba, I watched it with her.

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bfdc7e34d494d432e

Will do the hanging in a few minutes, right before going to bed.

Might even do a burpee AMRAP afterwards, depending on the strength I'll have left in my arms. :D

Now for a song! #126 which is part Belgian. It's Gotye with the smash hit "Somebody That I Used to Know".

I like the dissonance between the rather upbeat music and the lyrics. :) 

• Like 5

So I did some more pull-up bar work before going to bed.

Started with 10 seconds flex arm hold (with chin-up grip), followed by a negative chin-up and then 20 seconds of deadhanging.
I then did some deadhanging with the wide overhand grip (30 seconds) and the neutral grip (20 seconds).

Then I did a burpee AMRAP, but with the amount of pull-up bar work I'd been doing, the push-ups were murder, so I only did 10 burpees.
On previous days, I'd done 20 each time.

But hey, if I can make a (near-)daily habit out of a "just-before-bed mini-workout", it's nothing but win.

I never really do anything until failure, so I think it's ok to be doing these almost daily.
"If you don't train hard enough, then train more" mentality. :P

And this morning I biked to work. It was raining, so I prepared myself. Gloves, cap, jacket with hood, packable rainjacket with hood and fluorescent vest.
With my backpack under the rainjacket, I probably looked like the Hunchback of the Notre-Dame, but meh, I was going to get to work relatively dry.

Of course, when I went outside and walked the kids to school, it had stopped raining, so I probably looked really ridiculous.
It started raining again while I was biking, though. Light drizzle at first (what we locally call "just a sparrow peeing") and light rain later on.
Nothing like the monsoon I was dressed for, but still. :D

The plan is to do some walking during lunch, so I'm hoping the weather clears a little. I've had pretty good weather during the previous walks. Cold, sure, but clear and sunny. Today looks to be different.
As long as it's not pouring...

Every mile counts for the mini-challenge I'm involved in. B)

• Like 4

The weather did clear for my walk at lunchtime. It was mostly dry, with a small period of light drizzle.

Biking back home after work was dry as well.

I had a mandarin and an apple at 4 pm, because I started getting hungry.

Dinner was a plate of bread-crumbed chicken breast, rice and leek in cream. I had less chicken than I'd liked, but I compensated with more leek.

After the kids were put to bed, I took a shower, no longer planning any workout.

I ate the raw vegetable leftovers from yesterday (tomatoes, radishes, cauliflower, celery and carrot) with the rest of the guacamole as dip. It's official: I prefer hummus for this.

And then I did something I hadn't done in three months: I had a bag of crisps while watching TV.

125 grams, not the 250/300 gram "mega" bags I used to eat.

And I enjoyed it!

There, no guilt. :angel: 

Circumstances are making me skip lunch tomorrow as well anyway. Friday too. Three days in a row with only one real meal. Not entirely sure it's the best idea, but meh.

I said I was going to skip lunch and go for a walk every time the daily soup at the office restaurant wasn't to my liking, because the rules stipulate you need to buy *something* at the restaurant even if you brought your own lunch, and I refuse to pay for a bottle of water in a company with lots of water fountains and free water, and I refuse to take a soda instead. So, instead of packing lunch on "bad soup" days and breaking the rules by not buying anything, I skip lunch and go for a walk instead.

Can I help it that it's three days in a row this week? :P 

My RNG gave me #182 today, which is In Extremo again, with "Herr Mannelig".

RNG's are odd like that. There's an artist with a whopping 8 appearances in my Top 300 that hasn't had a single one of those 8 come up yet, but In Extremo's at its fourth song already.

Anyway, this is probably the quintessential In Extremo song. If you were to ask me for one song that best encapsulates what they stand for, this would probably be it. It's based on a traditional Swedish folk song, but well, with electrical guitars and drums added to the bagpipes. :D

Yay for eating the crisps with no guilt, and being able to enjoy a smaller amount. Crisps are  a food I used to overeat, so for a while I didn't eat them at all Now I am learning to eat them, but just in a reasonable amount. it's rather a nice feeling to trust oneself

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Yay for eating the crisps with no guilt, and being able to enjoy a smaller amount. Crisps are  a food I used to overeat, so for a while I didn't eat them at all Now I am learning to eat them, but just in a reasonable amount. it's rather a nice feeling to trust oneself

Crisps are probably my biggest vice. I once made a rough calculation of how many crisps I'd eaten during my lifetime. I arrived at over 1 metric ton!!!

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095bffa42546704d4e63

I overdid them a bit during my vacation week around All Saints' Day, but that was at social gatherings so they were shared with an entire group (and the kids hoovered them like they'd never eat crisps ever again, so it's not like *I* ate them all). :P 

In fact, since I started dieting, I haven't really had any crisps at all that weren't linked to something social. This was the first time where I actually had some *just for me*.
In part because I really wanted to, and in part to ensure I wouldn't have too little calories in me yesterday (not sure I would've reached 1200 without them, so now at least it was 1500+ despite being carb-heavy).

First time in weeks where I had any at all, first time in months where I had some just for me. Given my self-proclaimed addiction to crisps, I'm calling that a win, hence no guilt. :D 

I'd never sustain the weight loss if I'd deprive myself of everything I love. :angel: 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

I'd never sustain the weight loss if I'd deprive myself of everything I love. :angel: 

Truth! The fastest way to fail is to set yourself a restriction you cannot possibly maintain :) When a food is objectively unhealthy it is just a matter of making it an occasional treat rather than a staple of your diet.

• Like 3