• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan on the Road to AwesomeDad™ - Pt. III

Skipped breakfast and lunch today. Didn't eat at all until dinner time.

Went for a walk during my lunch break. Committing to doing this each time makes it easy. Otherwise I don't think I would have gone out while it was drizzling.

Had an off-site meeting in the afternoon. It was supposed to be at the main office, but it was just me and someone who works at the next-door plant, so instead of booking a meeting room myself and having him come over, I had him book the meeting room and I made the trip. Extra mileage. :D

I did something similar with a meeting next week. Book a room close to where the other ones are. "For their convenience". :) And for me to get paid for walking or biking to another plant. :angel: 

Had to stop at the butcher's on the way home. One I'd never been to. Had to try their hard sausages. :P

Dinner was ready when I got home, a (large) plate of stir-fried chicken and vegetables (bell pepper, courgette, carrot and onion) and potatoes. Overate, probably, but as my only meal of the day, that's not a bad thing.

It was relatively calm at archery practice, so I got 84 arrows in and was still home earlier than most other weeks. Kept score for 2 series of 30 arrows. Had an acceptable score on the first series (201 and I aim for 200+), but two personal bests on the second series. My first ever series of 30 arrows at 18 meters on a 3-spot where I only had 1 miss (previous best was 2), and a personal best score of 238 out of 300. B)

And I had DOMS from Tuesday's pull-up work. Apparently, I shoot well with DOMS. :D

My left shoulder started hurting towards the end, though, so no pull-up bar this evening. Extra long session tomorrow, then.

I did have a handful of crisps during practice, though. The club has a tendency to put out treats every week. The weeks around Halloween, it was candy, which is easy for me to stay out of. Last week it was almond cakes, which were easy for me to stay out of.

Today it were crisps...

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c0070d46d2f554167

There's more guilt for this handful than for last night's bag. :P

But meh, one meal day.

To finish, another song!

#204, which is the only entrance for both Eminem and Dido, "Stan".

• Like 4

Something funny from last night:

As I was walking towards the archery club, the club's blind (yes, BLIND!) archer was walking 20 meters in front of me with his companion (also an archer). They entered the door to the club, and our blind archer was second so he closed it behind him.
By that time I had reached the door, so he more or less closed it in front of me. When I grabbed the handle to open the door again, he was still holding on to the handle, and was a bit startled. So I announced that it was me, to which he replied:

"Sorry, mate, didn't see you there."

giphy.gif

The thing is: this type of joke is practically a running gag with him (he makes a similar joke at least once per training), but he gets me EVERY. SINGLE. TIME! I still don't expect them, I still chuckle or outright burst out laughing. :P 

At the club's 50th anniversary, whenever the photographer took a group shot, he was the one to reply "You'll have to take that picture again, I didn't see the flash." :D
And I don't think anyone knows more blind jokes than he does.

Plus he's pretty much one of the coolest guys I know.

I mean, he was a craftsman before being blinded in an accident 15-20 years ago. A couple of years ago, when renovating in his house, he made the railing to his staircase himself, and he installed it himself. *I* couldn't do that, and I've got eyesight! Heck, a lot of professionals couldn't deliver on the kind of quality he did.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TimovieMan said:

I mean, he was a craftsman before being blinded in an accident 15-20 years ago. A couple of years ago, when renovating in his house, he made the railing to his staircase himself, and he installed it himself. *I* couldn't do that, and I've got eyesight! Heck, a lot of professionals couldn't deliver on the kind of quality he did.

He's gotta be Matt Murdock in disguise! How cool!

Image result for daredevil gif

I'm with you Tim, I couldn't do that either with eyesight.. 

14 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

My first ever series of 30 arrows at 18 meters on a 3-spot where I only had 1 miss (previous best was 2), and a personal best score of 238 out of 300. B)

Wow, that's impressive! As someone who fancies the entire idea of archery, I am impressed, sir!

Wolf

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 2:30 PM, Wolfpool said:

He's gotta be Matt Murdock in disguise! How cool!

Living proof that disability does not equal inability.

On 11/30/2018 at 2:30 PM, Wolfpool said:

Wow, that's impressive! As someone who fancies the entire idea of archery, I am impressed, sir!

Still a very long way to go, though, if I ever want to get a "star" badge from the HBL (Flemish Archery Federation). I need a 558 out of 600 for that. If I repeat the PB of 238, then I'm at 476. :D

On 12/1/2018 at 7:21 PM, Arkania said:

Aw, Herr Mannelig <3

Oh yeah! B)

Fell behind a bit with the logging. Will do multiple shorter posts instead of one single megapost (otherwise I'd never get it done). :P

Thursday evening: the missus watched the third episode of Luther while I was at archery practice. She claims she didn't know I was actively watching it as well (instead of just glancingly watching while on the laptop).

Friday evening: the missus was working on a project for school (she's on a 3-year course to get herself a Bachelor's Degree in the field of Transport), but said she'd watch the fourth episode of Luther afterwards, so I had to watch the third episode if I wanted to keep watching with her. I said that I wanted to do my workout first, and she said she'd watch something else instead, then. But I could hear that she actually really wanted to watch Luther.

So I decided - against my better judgement - to watch the third episode, planning to do the workout when she'd gone to bed, but knowing full well that the likelihood of the workout not happening at all was increasing exponentially. That became a self-fulfilling prophecy when I realized at half past midnight that I still had to do the workout. I upped and went to bed instead.

Fortunately I'd gone for a walk during my lunch hour, so at least I had *some* activity.

Saturday:

The groceries had been done on Friday evening, so I didn't really have to do anything during my daughter's swimming class. So I went for a walk. A 40-minute walk.

Did some shopping during my son's gym class to get an extra 800 ml water bottle. I had one for at work, which is why I easily get to 3+ liters each day, but I could use one at home to make the 2+ liters goal during the weekend.

Instant success, btw: 2.6 liters on Saturday, 3.2 liters today.

I also got a step stool that was a bit higher than the one we already had, to make negative pull-ups easier. I had to stretch to get my chin over the bar with the other step stool. Now I can start higher - a lot more comfortable.

Saturday night was when we had planned to "get a visit from Saint Nicholas" for the kids, so after they'd gone to bed, we first got all the presents out and displayed them on the table. Assembled, of course, so I spent a lot of time putting Playmobil sets together and building a slot car race track. By the time we were finished, it was 23 o'clock.

I wanted to do pull-up bar work, but that needs to be done in the hallway (because the door frames in the living room are too thick for my bar), but the missus forbade it. Didn't want to risk waking up the kids, having them come downstairs and seeing everything already set up, and as such obliterating their "Saint Nicholas" fantasy.

So again, missed two in a row, but I blame the missus for this one. I'd have risked it. I would have been in the hallway, they'd have to pass me when coming downstairs, so I could've stopped them when needed.

And then I fucked up.

When clearing out the closet with the snacks on Friday, the missus had come across a pack of crisp butter waffles that had expired. She made me try one to see if they were still edible (they were), but now we had an open pack in the house.

I ate the entire pack on Saturday night.

Destroyed my intermittent fasting challenge for the week, and made me feel pretty crappy afterwards. It felt like the beginning of me falling off the wagon with all the challenges and weight loss goals. :(

Good thing for me that the missus had a Saint Nicholas surprise for me as well today. :P

Today:

After a pretty restless night for the kids (probably nervous because they knew "Saint Nicholas was coming"), we all got up at 9 am to get downstairs and see what Saint Nicholas had brought. Kids were ecstatic, but they'd gotten a LOT of toys, so that was understandable. Spent most of the morning playing a variety of new games with them.

But what I didn't know was that the missus had a surprise for me as well. Today I got what I thought I was only getting at Christmas:

A Fitbit Charge 3!!!

GUEST_c88f7cc1-5b5a-4f8c-a5cc-e4a863fbf6

Now that that's been set up, I can get some serious tracking in. Heart rate, sleep, actual steps, actual distance when going on a walk, etc. This'll alter a lot for me. Perfect timing too. If unnecessarily eating a pack of biscuits made me worry that I was slipping, then this is definitely the kick in the nuts I needed. :D

Of course, since I only expected it for Christmas, I hadn't counted on having it for this challenge. Will have to see if it'll affect how I set up my goals.

Went for a walk in the afternoon. With the lunch hour walks at work and the Saturday morning walk, I had 4 consecutive days, so a couple more and I'd finally be clearing that first "Walk to Mordor" quest. So I made some effort. And I involved the kids by wanting to walk to the playground at about a kilometer from our house. The kids happily tagged along. :D

This evening I finally got to do a workout. Went for some warm-up rope skipping, some pull-up bar work (for the pull-up PvP) and my 12-minute core routine.

Managed a negative pull-up for the first time, as well as three consecutive negative chin-ups. That, and 100 seconds of bar hanging (40 seconds overhand grip, 30 seconds neutral grip, 30 seconds underhand grip).

At the playground, I'd also done 30 seconds of bar hanging, but that was on a cornered bar, so the grip was in-between neutral and overhand.

I can already tell my biceps are going to hurt tomorrow. :P

• Like 5

Week One summary:

Intermittent fasting:

- Skipped 8 meals -> 3 XP

- 5 days with a 16+ hour fasted state -> no XP

Averaged just over 16 hours per day, though, despite the 8 hours 20 minutes of fasted state today.

Limiting calorie intake:

- 3 days of non-light snacking -> no XP

- 0 cans of soda -> 2 XP

Water consumption:

- 3+ liters per workday, 2+ liters on other days -> 1 XP

Sleep curfew:

- 7 days of compliance to the late curfew -  1 XP

- 6 days of compliance to the middle curfew - 1 XP

- 3 days of compliance to the early curfew - 1 XP

Sleep length:

- Average sleep length of 6 hours 55 minutes -> 3 XP

Workouts:

- 2 workouts -> 2 XP

Off-days:

- 1 off-day without activity -> 2 XP

Total:

16 out of 22 for the week.

And while doing this "posting backlog" here, I've already cost myself 1 XP for next week by missing today's late curfew. I'll have to make up for that in the following days... <_<

But at least I'll finish with a song!

RNG gave me #142 which is "Supernova" by Oomph!.

Oh look, archers in the video clip! Total coincidence, though. :D

First of two entries for Oomph!.

Which is kinda odd since I like them better than Rammstein, yet Rammstein gets 5 entries. :o 

• Like 2

I had to read about Sinterklaas. My kids were jealous because they have to wait another three weeks. I also found out that there are 30 different types of waffles in a Belgium supermarket, but I suspect the internet is pulling my leg again.

117 days until Harelbekedag ;)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I had to read about Sinterklaas. My kids were jealous because they have to wait another three weeks.

Santa Claus is actually based on the Sinterklaas tradition.

But there are a lot of variants. Sinterklaas for us is December 6th, I think in the Netherlands it's December 5th, but locally here there are some towns that don't celebrate Sinterklaas but Saint Martin instead, which is in the middle of November (and is more akin to Halloween with kids going trick or treating with a jack-o'-lantern carved out of a sugar beet).

But with the international popularity of the Santa Claus tradition, we have *both* here. Which makes December an expensive month for parents. :D

I also found out that there are 30 different types of waffles in a Belgium supermarket, but I suspect the internet is pulling my leg again.

I just checked the online shop of one of our major supermarkets here. They have a specific subsection for waffles. 47 different products. :P

It's easy to get many different types if you make distinctions between regular and chocolate-covered for all of them, though. :angel:

But yeah, with the different ways of preparing them, and the different densities and hardness/crispness, etc. there are many many types.

117 days until Harelbekedag ;)

Still not sure that's actually a thing. :P

2 hours ago, Salinger said:

Yay a fitbit! I had to sell mine in the summer unfortunately. (skint) but i hope it keeps you determined :D x

It's definitely giving a boost. :D

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Sinterklaas for us is December 6th....

.....but locally here there are some towns that don't celebrate Sinterklaas but Saint Martin instead, which is in the middle of November....

But with the international popularity of the Santa Claus tradition, we have *both* here. Which makes December an expensive month for parents. :D

+1 :D

We celebrate Saint Martin, Sinterklaas ("Nikolaus") aaaaaaaand Christmas/Santa Claus (it locally depends if it's Santa Claus or Father Christmas ("Christkind", which looks like a female angel).

• Like 1

What the tracker is making me do:

Every hour, at 10 minutes before the hour, I get a notification if I haven't done 250 steps yet during that hour.

Made me get up and take a short walk at work (sometimes it was enough just to go to the toilet). This happened 6 times today and made me do about 1000 steps I otherwise wouldn't have made. Gonna make this a habit. When the tracker goes off, I'll take a walk until I reach 250 steps.

Did a bunch of squats as well, for the mini-challenge, and I went for a 20-minute walk this evening, so I can clear the "Walk to Mordor" quest tomorrow. That's 6 days in a row with a 20+ minute walk.

So with the mini-challenge and the pull-up PVP, I think I'll be hitting the off-day activity every day. Just gotta remember to do the actual workouts as well. :D

Managed over 11000 steps today, so that's a good start. The aim for now is to get 7000+ every day. But we'll see.

To end the day, here's another song from the Top 300: #59

It's the second out of four entries for Led Zeppelin, it's... "Stairway to Heaven"

Just kidding, couldn't resist another Wayne's World reference. :D

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Sometimes a shiny gadget is all you need to keep your motivation up. I'm glad your wife knows you so well. ;) 

Not sure we can claim "she knows me so well" here. I've been yammering about an activity tracker for weeks now, and not just any tracker, but specifically the Fitbit Charge 3. I'd even sent her links to online shops where she could get it. And I've brushed off all her attempts to get me to use her old tracker instead. It was Fitbit Charge 3 or bust. :D

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Great job on the walking, and awesome Led Zep song  - will listen now :D xx

Thanks! And yes, awesome song!

This is also a good version, from the BBC Sessions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1otQAXk-zRs

The song was recorded live, several months before it was released as a single, so the audience didn't know it and didn't go nuts after the first few notes, but DID go nuts when it ended. B) 

They immediately realised they'd just heard something extraordinary. :)

• Like 3

Things I learned from having a tracker:

Biking to work is more distance than I figured. I thought it was 11.45 km there and 11.45 km back (based on Google Maps).

My tracker said I biked 11.56 km yesterday, but I started at the kids' school, not at home, so it's 11.9 km.

I sleep far less than I thought I did each night. Yesterday was 30 minutes less than I'd have counted, today was 20 minutes less.

I do fall asleep within minutes of getting in bed, though. :P

Tracking my walks and bike rides with the GPS of my phone drains my phone's battery quickly. I couldn't track the way back from work yesterday because my phone's battery had died.

It may have been an anomaly, because I made a 25-minute walk during lunch today, and my phone's battery life hardly changed.

Will need more experimenting with this.

I have very little cardio fitness. Riding up a bridge by bike puts my heart rate in "peak" performance. The rest of the bike ride is in "cardio" performance instead of "fat burning". And climbing three flights of stairs makes my heart rate skyrocket.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

I have very little cardio fitness. Riding up a bridge by bike puts my heart rate in "peak" performance. The rest of the bike ride is in "cardio" performance instead of "fat burning". And climbing three flights of stairs makes my heart rate skyrocket.

I don't know that their zones are very accurate.  Peak is supposed to be something you can only maintain for a couple minutes max, and my watch puts me there for my entire hour-long run.  Maybe it is their way of making people feel good by saying they are working harder than they really are, like how US clothing sizes scale up 2-3 times.

I haven't used a FitBit though.  Does it feel accurate to you?  Could you bike up that level of incline for 30+ minutes?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I don't know that their zones are very accurate.  Peak is supposed to be something you can only maintain for a couple minutes max, and my watch puts me there for my entire hour-long run.  Maybe it is their way of making people feel good by saying they are working harder than they really are, like how US clothing sizes scale up 2-3 times.

I haven't used a FitBit though.  Does it feel accurate to you?  Could you bike up that level of incline for 30+ minutes?

The way that bridge inclines? I'm shifting down 4-5 times just to be able to get to the top of it, and it's like 200 meters of incline total.

I wouldn't be able to bike up that level of incline for 3+ minutes, imo.

I'm very happy it's downhill once you reach the top (and that there's a traffic light just after it) so I can catch my breath again... :P

So I'm guessing it's probably pretty accurate.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Maybe it is their way of making people feel good by saying they are working harder than they really are, like how US clothing sizes scale up 2-3 times.

I haven't used a FitBit though

37 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

So I'm guessing it's probably pretty accurate.

What it is is that they are basing the training zones on an estimation of what your max heart rate will be at your age. That can vary wildly from person to person so the zones might be off a little or a lot or they might be about right but they almost certainly won't be 100% accurate (because you need to go into a lab and get tested to do that). With that being said when I started to learn how to run, I weigh about 120kg and I ran my first 5k with an average heart rate of 178bpm (if I'd known anything about it I might have panicked about that number!) . I maintained that for 40 minutes! Today a few years later I couldn't hit 178 and maintain it for more than about 2 minutes. I'm many times faster and many times fitter and my effort level and heart rate has shifted as I've gotten fitter. My only explanation is that there is a bit of a 'for a reasonably fit individual' claus on those numbers too.

3 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Things I learned from having a tracker:

The data gleaned can be really useful for getting an idea of your activity and ways you can improve it. I do really like the prompt to get you to stand up every hour. I think that is a really good thing to remind you just to get up and have a bit of a move. 

• Like 3

Things that happened this week:

- apart from Friday, I consciously went for a walk every day

- I did pull-up bar work for the PvP (my first two full chin-ups are in the bag!!!)

- I did a lot of squats for the mini-challenge (managed 100+ in two minutes for lots of quest XP)

- I didn't do a lot of extra workouts, because of the focus on squats and (negative) pull-ups and deadhanging

- had a phlebotomy on Tuesday, still did pull-up bar exercises immediately afterwards - the missus called me crazy, but phlebotomies don't bother me :)

- saving time: did two minutes of squats while in the doctor's waiting room :P

- grew tired of logging all the food, drinks, sleep, activity and whatnot so stopped logging most of those things (and shut down my "Daily battle log" in the process)

- archery tournament today (didn't perform all that well, really)

Stuff I learned from the tracker:

- GPS tracking with my phone does NOT drain the battery - the issue on Tuesday must have been a smartphone battery issue (my phone's almost 5 years old)

- I'm aiming for 7000+ steps each day, but I'm passing with flying colours (lowest was 8440, but averaging 11000+)

- I'm effectively sleeping more than 30 minutes LESS than I figured each night

• Like 3

Weekly weigh-in results:

Weight: 98.9 kg (-0.1)

Body fat: 25.4% (-0.8)

Visceral fat: 12% (=)

Weight loss has slowed (only 0.3 kg in two weeks), but the body fat % has plummeted (-1.5% in two weeks). Chalk it up to muscle being heavier than fat?

• Like 3