TimovieMan on the Road to AwesomeDad™ - Pt. III

Archery tournament today. The missus wanted the car, so I went by bike, by train and on foot. :P

Biking to the station (3 km), taking the train (over 1 hour), and then walking to the venue (1.2 km), and everything in the opposite direction in the evening.

Went for a walk as well during the lunch break, and an archery tournament provides a decent amount of steps anyway, resulting in 15000+ steps for the day. That's also why I'm not doing any more squats or pull-up work this evening. My legs are shot and I'm tired.

Archery itself didn't go as well. In training I average 200-220 points (out of 300) on a tri-spot target. Today I managed 186 and 176 (362 out of 600) in the morning, and a dysmal 137 and 175 (312 out of 600) in the afternoon. Had more than my share of misses. Especially during the third series. Even had an end with three misses there...

giphy.gif

Ok, I didn't argue about marking it zero, it was pretty obvious. :P

Main technique issues (that have been problems for a while): the way I grip the bow, and my release. Also the two things that have the biggest influence on the arrow's flight, so I don't need to look far to know why my shooting's so inconsistent.

I've gotten a few pointers on both issues, though, so I'll put some work in this week to hopefully *finally* fix the biggest problems with my shooting.

• Like 4
10 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Nice week! I love that you did squats in the doctors waiting room. Way to go on the chin ups!

The waiting room was empty, otherwise I wouldn't have dared it. :P

Week Two summary:

Intermittent fasting:

- Skipped 8 meals -> 3 XP

- Fasted state -> 2 XP

Limiting calorie intake:

- 2 days of non-light snacking -> 2 XP

- 1/2 can of soda -> 2 XP

Water consumption:

- 3+ liters per day -> 1 XP

Sleep curfew:

- 5 days of compliance to the late curfew ->  no XP

- 4 days of compliance to the middle curfew -> no XP

- 2 days of compliance to the early curfew -> no XP

Sleep length:

- Average sleep length of under 6 hours -> no XP

Workouts:

- 3 (less-balanced because of the challenges) workouts -> 3 XP

Off-days:

- 1 off-day without activity -> 2 XP

Total:

15 XP out of a possible 22

Especially the sleep suffered this week, but apart from last Monday, it wasn't really all *that* bad. The fitness tracker makes it seem worse, though, with an average of only 5 hours 28 minutes (which I would have counted as 6+ hours).

Something to work on.

With me stopping the logging, I'm going to make an overhaul to the challenge. It'll be less "SMART" (or at least less measurable), but meh. I think it's clear I've got most things (especially nutrition and water) under control, so excessive tracking was becoming counterproductive.

• Like 2

And this has been a while as well: a song from my Top 300!

The RNG said #187, which is Scottish/Irish folk rock band The Waterboys with "Peace of Iona":

Fun fact: U2 only has one single entry in my Top 300. The Waterboys have 2, and frontman Mike Scott has another one solo. All three entries are higher up than U2's entry.

How's that for a statement? :D

Confession: I only found out Mike Scott was Scottish instead of Irish five minutes ago. I was convinced the band was all-Irish, hence the U2 comparison.

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And since I'm spam-posting my own thread anyway, why not just give a little tidbit I forgot to mention earlier:

During the archery tournament, I was lamenting my poor results, but decided to look up what I had shot on a trispot in tournament play last year.

I only did two series on a trispot (with the rest being on a larger "beginners" target). I shot 146 and 134 for a 280 out of 600 total the first time, and 139 and 147 for a 286 total the second time.

Compared to that, 362 and 312 isn't really that bad. :) 

I just know I can do a lot better...

• Like 5
10 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Compared to that, 362 and 312 isn't really that bad. :) 

I just know I can do a lot better...

Progress is progress :) We can't get all the way to where we want to be all at once (it'd be great if we could but we can't) but it's just important to recognise that you are heading in the right direction. Well done! You've been doing awesome things. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Progress is progress :) We can't get all the way to where we want to be all at once (it'd be great if we could but we can't) but it's just important to recognise that you are heading in the right direction. Well done! You've been doing awesome things. 

The worst is knowing that during practice I average 200+ and can reach 230+.

That means that during tournaments I know I have it in me to reach 450+ and should really get 400+.

And I don't have a real explanation for the massive drop in points I've always had on tournaments. Sure, I have more practice arrows in training before I start marking scores, but that difference should be trivial.

And it's not stress-related since tournaments are just "extra practice". I'd need to shoot 540+ before I can start thinking of being competitive that way. And I'm pretty stress-resistant, so that's not it either.

The only other thing is that there's less time between arrows in training. I tend to shoot 6 arrows at a time (instead of the 3 in an indoor tournament), and I shoot them with less time in-between. But I don't think that's got that much of an impact either.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

But I don't think that's got that much of an impact either.

I don't think an archery tournament has too many similarities to the races I run but nonetheless I am going to put this out there because I think it might apply :) 

One thing that is said a lot around racing is that you need to train like you are going to race. That doesn't mean that I go out and run 50k at the same pace I intend to run my race because I have exactly one attempt at putting that much energy and effort out there but what it does mean is that I need to practice race conditions. In racing this kind of thing boils down to, the gear you are going to wear, what you are going to eat and how often, the kind of terrain you need to run and so on. They may seem like minor variables but each one can have a big impact on your performance, and i"m not talking about being competitive either. I'm not nearly that fast but my performance matters to me.

So I think one thing you should consider for your next tournament is to take some training sessions near to the time to practice as close to tournament conditions as you can. The amount of practice before scoring, the number of arrows. The speed of the shots. Just get your body and your brain used to dealing with those conditions. If the only time I wear a pair of running shoes is at a race, I shouldn't be surprised if they give me blisters. If the only time you practice those conditions is in a tournament then it shouldn't be a surprise that your brain throws you off a little.

I'm not saying all your practice needs to be that way, just some and it's probably more useful the closer you get to a tournament. The closer you are to competition the more specific your training needs to be :)  

• Like 2

So, with me no longer logging, the challenge gets changed for the remaining two weeks. Less specific and measurable (because no longer measured/tracked), but based more on what I think / how it feels. For the most part it's "keep doing what you have been doing" without the burden of constantly logging stuff.

I'm maintaining the "EQ 100XP" total, thus I'm looking at 22 XP/week for the next two weeks.

Nutrition:

- Eat well (portion control, intermittent fasting): 1 XP/day -> 7 XP/week
- Don't drink calories: 1 XP/week
- No snack binges: 2 XP/week

Moderate snacking during social activities and light snacking in general is allowed.
This means that unplanned snacking (where I eat an entire pack of cookies just because it was opened, for instance) costs me 3 XP (2 XP for the snack binge and 1 XP for the day's "eat well" task).

Sleep:

- Get to bed at a respectable time: 1 XP/day -> 7 XP/week
- Get an increasing sleep length trend: 1 XP/week

Getting to bed at a respectable hour is similar to the curfew, but without really tracking it myself. Just the general "tired -> bed" mentality. My activity tracker will do the tracking for me.
The sleep length trend is also going to be based on what my activity tracker says.

Exercise:

- Minimum 7500 steps/day and 70000 steps/week: 1 XP/week
- Doing enough bodyweight exercises (whether as a workout or as part of the mini-challenges or PvPs): 1 XP/week
- Max 1 day without activity per week: 1 XP/week
- No days without activity per week: 1 XP/week

The epic goals remain unchanged:

Epic goals:

- Weight under 97 kg: 6 XP
- Weight under 96 kg: 3 XP
- Burpee AMRAP of 25+ reps: 3 XP

• Like 3
20 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

So I think one thing you should consider for your next tournament is to take some training sessions near to the time to practice as close to tournament conditions as you can. The amount of practice before scoring, the number of arrows. The speed of the shots. Just get your body and your brain used to dealing with those conditions. If the only time I wear a pair of running shoes is at a race, I shouldn't be surprised if they give me blisters. If the only time you practice those conditions is in a tournament then it shouldn't be a surprise that your brain throws you off a little.

I'm not saying all your practice needs to be that way, just some and it's probably more useful the closer you get to a tournament. The closer you are to competition the more specific your training needs to be :)  

I'm actually doing the same thing that I did back when I was playing table tennis. Instead of training for match conditions, I aim to train in worse conditions.

More noise, more distractions, so you have less issues with crowd noise and have an easier time focusing during the match.

It's the same in archery: noisier training environment, shooting faster, shooting more arrows, WAY more distractions, etc.

So that when the match comes and there's an actual 2 minute timer for your 3 arrows, I can scoff at the insane amount of time I get, and I don't get distracted easily by anything that's happening in the room.

And shooting more arrows in less time in training also means that fatigue won't ever be an issue in a tournament.

I've always trained like this...

• Like 2
55 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Instead of training for match conditions, I aim to train in worse conditions.

More noise, more distractions, so you have less issues with crowd noise and have an easier time focusing during the match.

I am not saying you shouldn't do this. I think the vast majority of your training should be like this. I do the same kind of things. When I lift and carry weights it's much heavier than I'd encounter in a race, or when I go for a long run most of the times I'm doing it on far less food than I'll be aiming to use on the race itself. My body is used to doing things that are worse so that when it comes down to the race itself it can take in the relative abundance of calories. But then how do I know how my body or my mind is going to react to eating that many gels that fast over that amount of time? How fast can I safely run while carrying a race weight sand bag? That's different from carrying something that's 10-15kg heavier. Or if the one in the race has straps but the one I'm training with doesn't how do I know that I'm carrying it in the most efficient way? Spending a couple of weeks training with the race weight and the 6 weeks prior to that with something heavier is still going to have the effect of having race weight feel light but I'll have a much better idea of exactly how to handle the weight I'm given. 

All I am suggesting is that you take some practice sessions near to your event where you remove as many of the variables as you can and make it 'tournament practice' rather than training. If you are used to shooting when it's noisy, do you really not think it being almost silent isn't going to throw you off? :) I know nothing about archery but I can tell you that throwing a spear at a target during a race is nothing like throwing a spear at a target during practice. I also know that you can only control so many of those variables. Nonetheless you don't have to do anything I suggest :) I'm just offering a possible answer to your question. If your training says you should be shooting better in tournaments and it's not the stress of the event that's throwing you off then it's something else. Maybe that something else is practice with those specific conditions. 

• Like 2
On 12/10/2018 at 12:46 AM, TimovieMan said:

had a phlebotomy on Tuesday,

Eish, like blood donation? Had to look up that fancy word of yours. Hubby and I regularly donate blood (well it's once every 3months), and there is no way that I can do anything strenuous at all later that day. Hubby will give it two, three hours before doing a workout or working outside (metal, engines, heavy stuff).

You seem to be doing great w.r.t. your challenge, and well done on the improvement in the archery department as well. I also found that keeping track of things like sleep, bible study, water, etc. became tedious and stopped doing it in my challenge, but still mark it off in my book, unofficially. Actually only when I don't keep to the goal.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

If you are used to shooting when it's noisy, do you really not think it being almost silent isn't going to throw you off? :)

I had to chuckle a little at this line. :D

I get what you're saying, but I'm only participating in the local tournaments (and there are only a handful of clubs locally, so there's very few tournaments). "Almost silent" is VERY far from that tournament reality.
The only difference with training is that there's less talking at the shooting line, and less shouting from the back to the shooters while they're at the line. All other background noises are pretty much the same and silent it is not. :P

Also note that I said "less", not "none". :)

24 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

If your training says you should be shooting better in tournaments and it's not the stress of the event that's throwing you off then it's something else. Maybe that something else is practice with those specific conditions. 

My tournament shooting is above all more inconsistent.

A lot of that has to do with me being able to iron out some of those inconsistencies at training (and thus my training results being skewed in my favour).

At a tournament, I get 6 practice arrows.
In training, I rarely start marking my scores after just 6 arrows, often it's 30+ arrows. That gives me a lot more time to get in a good flow.

At a tournament, there's 3 shooters on the same target, each taking turns (with the shooting order changing each end). So I shoot 3 arrows in 2 minutes, then wait 4 minutes for the others to shoot, fetch my arrows, wait 2 minutes on my turn, shoot 3 arrows in 2 minutes, wait another 2 minutes, fetch my arrows, wait 4 minutes, shoot 3 arrows in 2 minutes, fetch them, and repeat from the start.
In training, early on it's more crowded, so there's a bit more waiting, but the latter half of a training is pretty much: shoot 6 arrows in (probably less than) 2 minutes, fetch arrows, shoot immediately again.

That makes it easier to be consistent, too. Less waiting around, less time to unconsciously change tiny aspects of your stance, less time for your muscles to grow cold.
But I've only got 2-and-a-half hours of training each week (unless I shoot at home, where I would get complete silence, but would also be shooting outside and over a much shorter distance). So waiting around and losing practice time is probably going to hurt my form even more.

But like I already said earlier, both my grip and my release still need to drastically improve, and those are the biggest causes for inconsistencies anyway. They're the two biggest points of contact between me and my bow and arrow - anything I fumble up there results in a poor shot.

7 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Eish, like blood donation? Had to look up that fancy word of yours. Hubby and I regularly donate blood (well it's once every 3months), and there is no way that I can do anything strenuous at all later that day. Hubby will give it two, three hours before doing a workout or working outside (metal, engines, heavy stuff).

Yes, exactly like blood donation, but without the actual donation, and with "throwing in the bin" instead.

I've got a condition called hemochromatosis, which causes my organs to store too much iron. If unchecked, this would eventually result in my organs storing so much iron that they start to oxidise (yes, seriously), most often causing liver damage and cirrhosis.

A phlebotomy makes my body use its own iron supplies to make new blood, so it's the most effective treatment. I have one every six weeks or so, depending on iron levels measured.

The only time where the procedure has ever caused me issues (light-headedness, mainly) was when it was first discovered, and I had 4 bloodlettings in 5 weeks. The day after the fourth, I became light-headed after the warm-up in table tennis practice and had a "I"m done for the evening" reaction.

Generally, the very second it's bandaged (or the puncture has solidified), I just jump up and go home. :P

41 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Have a great day TM!!! x

Thanks!

• Like 3
19 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I've got a condition called hemochromatosis, which causes my organs to store too much iron. If unchecked, this would eventually result in my organs storing so much iron that they start to oxidise (yes, seriously), most often causing liver damage and cirrhosis.

A phlebotomy makes my body use its own iron supplies to make new blood, so it's the most effective treatment. I have one every six weeks or so, depending on iron levels measured.

I always learn new things on NF! What would be the 'repercussion' for people if they used your blood as donation?

Every time the sister at the clinic measures my iron levels with the copper-liquid-mixture, the drop of blood sinks a little bit, then shoots up to the surface, meaning my iron levels are too low. But when they put another drop of blood in the machine to test, my levels are fine. It only does that sink then swim thing with one other person at that clinic. My hubby never has a problem when they test his iron levels. There is now a red note on my file to only test with the machine. Funny how the body differs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, elizevdmerwe said:

I always learn new things on NF! What would be the 'repercussion' for people if they used your blood as donation?

None.

People with low iron levels would even benefit from using my blood (if only temporarily).

The problem lies with newborns and young babies. Their bodies can't handle those levels of iron yet, and there's a risk at brain damage if they'd use my blood.

I think the reason why my blood can't be used is that they don't want to have to label the packs of blood with more than the blood type. When there's the need to use a pack of blood, it's always going to be in an emergency situation, so they need the blood *immediately*.

Having to check more than just the blood type loses precious seconds that could mean the difference between life and death.

So anything that *could* pose a problem (even if only in a specific set of circumstances) gets the "can't use that - toss it" treatment.

At least, that's what I assume the reason is. Don't know for sure.

If my ferritin levels are well within the normal range for three tests in a row, then my doctor could give me a note that would allow me to donate to the Red Cross. They changed the law here specifically for people with hemochromatosis, because it would potentially mean 6000 extra packs of blood per year donated in Belgium and the Red Cross need any blood donations they can get.

I'd have to renew my doctor's note yearly and could only donate max 6 times a year (with 2 months inbetween donations). That's more or less the frequency I'm at now so I might qualify as a donor eventually.

I haven't reached a consistent enough range, though. I'm only "within normal range" half the time. The other half I'm just above it, which isn't good enough for the Red Cross yet.

I'm actually hoping that losing weight and getting in shape might help here as well.

• Like 2

Biked to work yesterday.

Planned on doing some pull-up bar exercises, but forgot that I still had to cook for the kids and my brother-in-law today (he babysits the kids every Wednesday afternoon when they're home from school), and after that I didn't really do anything anymore.

Well, that's not true. I wound up watching a couple of time-wasting YouTube vids, and I had a handful of candies that I shouldn't have. No XP for "eat well" because of that, and no XP for "sleeping well" since I stayed up too late.

Went for a walk this evening because I noticed I wasn't going to make my 7500 steps goal for the day, and then I did some pull-up bar work.

Finished watching the first season of Luther. Interesting final two episodes. Went into an entire different direction than I thought it would.

And I'm shocked that the missus doesn't find Idris Elba attractive. Is she insane? I mean, seriously, WTF???

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c118fff6e586f7141.

Let's end the day with a song. My RNG says #231 which is Type O Negative with "Everything Dies".

• Like 1
20 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

I think the reason why my blood can't be used is that they don't want to have to label the packs of blood with more than the blood type.

Too bad you don't live here. I know they mark our blood bags when we've had Tetanus injections, or things other than usual. Your blood would be in great demand here, especially for HIV patients who could do with an iron lift. But *shrug* don't really know either. We do what we can. I hope it balances out for you soon. The exercises and healthy lifestyle will hopefully have an impact.

7 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

And I'm shocked that the missus doesn't find Idris Elba attractive. Is she insane? I mean, seriously, WTF???

He has a bit of a Wesley Snipes thing going there, doesn't he. Not bad... :D

• Like 1

Good day today. Went to bed at an acceptable time yesterday, biked to work, had a walk during my lunch break, and had a good archery practice.

I think the tips I got on Sunday helped during archery. The biggest problem with my release is mostly fixed, so now I can focus on my grip. The grip is still making the shots inconsistent, though. The problem there doesn't get compensated somewhat any more by the faulty release.

There's another tournament on Sunday (only one series, though, 2x 30 arrows instead of 4x). Results are probably going to be iffy, but it's working on my release and grip that's going to be the most important. So I can get it in working order for the next three tournaments (end of January and in February).

But then I got home and noticed the missus had sent for pizza while I was at practice. Half a pizza left over, and also some garlic bread, chicken wings and potato wedges.

Not only does that mess up her diet, but it indirectly hurts mine as well. That pizza is for sure going to be my dinner tomorrow. And to say that she was egging me on to eat it now. I had already eaten sandwiches together with the kids this evening, so no, I'm not eating that pizza now.

So let's end the day with a song. My RNG gave me #61, which is that other contested cover I already hinted at.

It's Chris Isaak's "Wicked Game", but in a heavier version by HIM. I absolutely love this version. :P 

• Like 1