TimovieMan on the Road to AwesomeDad™ - Pt. III

2 hours ago, Arkania said:

Love you christmassy avatar :D If I had a christmas hat I would do the same with my avatar ;)

Yearly habit from another forum I frequent (where several of the regulars add a Christmas hat to their avatars around this time).

Since I was changing my Dilbert avatar there, I figured I could just as well change it here too. :D

• Like 1

Had an event this evening at the kids' school where we collect a bunch of toys that are still in good condition but no longer played with, to donate to a charity organization so poor families can still give their kids Christmas presents. Revenue of the evening goes to that organization as well.

Last year they assembled 400+ presents, and I'm hearing this year will be similar. B)

Did some pull up bar work when I got home (well, after I put the kids to bed). Managed two chin-ups in the same workout for the first time. Not consecutively, though. And then my elbows started hurting so I stopped all planned exercise. Will try again tomorrow.

Before the kids went to bed, they were allowed a couple of pieces of candy (because it's the weekend and they "helped" gift-wrap their old toys at school). "Helped" is between quotation marks because, well, they're 5 and 3. Having them help means you advance at half the speed and have double the work because you have to redo everything they did. But you have to let them help otherwise they'll never want to help you ever again. :D

But I digress. They ate a couple of pieces of candy (and chocolates, because there were some in the same box here). I had a handful of candies and chocolates as well. The perks of having young kids. :P

When I put them in bed and got back downstairs, I noticed the box of candies was still out. And I put it back in the closet without grabbing additional pieces! Yay!!! :)

During my workout, I did open that closet again, "to see what else we had in the house", but I closed it again without taking anything. Small victory!

Curious what the scale will tell me in the morning.

When switching channels for no reason (because I had planned to watch the football highlights which were recorded), I saw that they were once again broadcasting the movie Ghost. And, as always with that film, I kept watching again.

I swear I've seen the last hour of that film 30+ times, yet the first twenty minutes only 3 or 4 times. :D

But of course that means I'm up far too long, so I'll probably regret it in the morning when I have to get up for my daughter's swimming lessons...

62L7.gif

So at least let me end the day with a song. The RNG came up with #70.

It's Huey Lewis and the News!

tumblr_m70vgcfnpK1qg7zl2o1_500.gif

From the movie Back to the Future, it's "The Power of Love".

• Like 2

Weird day today.

We were having friends over this afternoon for cake and dinner. The missus had made "petit beurre" cake* and chocolate salami* yesterday while I was at work, and apple cake* this morning while I was taking the kids to their sports classes.

I didn't really have anything to do during the sports classes, so while the daughter was swimming, I went for a 35-minute walk. And while my son had his gym class, I went for a 45-minute walk (interrupted by a 5-minute visit to a liquor store to buy a bottle of rum*).

The plan for dinner was home-made hamburgers.

And then most of our friends cancelled due to illness. What should have been a day with 6 adults and 4 kids ended up being 3 adults and 3 kids.

You wouldn't believe the amount of food we now have left over in the house, so the missus invited her best friend and her brother tomorrow afternoon and evening as well.
I'll be at an archery tournament then.

But with the oversupply of cake and hamburgers, I overate today. Too many chocolates*, cake and definitely one hamburger too many.

So much so that I've been feeling bloated all evening.

Especially the chocolates were a surprise. When looking up their calorie count, it seems I ate 1000 calories of that alone. :o

Very bad eating day, despite most of it being planned...

Oh, and I had a "Cuba Libre" before dinner. The main reason why I bought that bottle of rum. :P

* Something like this:

(not the actual pictures - I forgot to take some - but the closest to it I could find)

Petit beurre cake

78953925_p.jpg

Chocolate salami

ChocolateSalami_01.webp

Apple cake

68920640.jpg

This rum, one of the best tasting rums and absolutely the best value-for-money I know:

rum_hav6.jpg

Typical Belgian chocolates

leonidas-doos-manon-pralines-250-gram.jp

• Like 3

Song for the day: #29

Nine Inch Nails - "We're in This Together"

Despite being a big fan of Trent Reznor, this is the second of only two entries for Nine Inch Nails. Well, there's actually a third entry, but in a cover version by someone else. Three guesses what song that is (and the first two won't count). :D

All three are top 70, btw. With the cover version being highest. B)

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Love Nine Inch Nails, one of the best live bands ive ever seen too!!! Have a great day xx

Trent Reznor is such a talented musician.

When he was asked if he'd be interested in doing the soundtrack for a movie, he said he'd give it a try.

One year later: "And the Academy Award goes to..." :D

• Like 2
9 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

When he was asked if he'd be interested in doing the soundtrack for a movie, he said he'd give it a try.

I pray and pray and pray (and would offer sacrifices to dark gods) for Reznor to go back on tour so I can actually catch him live.

What a transformitive experience that would be.

10 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

NIN Love Eyes

Sorry that I have to ask, but what movie is that?

41 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

NIN Love Eyes

Sorry that I have to ask, but what movie is that?

The Social Network, the first time ever that Trent Reznor composed the soundtrack for a film. B) 

The soundtrack has an element that sounds just slightly off, which gives the entire thing a dark and haunting undertone. It did wonders for the atmosphere in the film.

2010 was a great year for movie soundtracks, with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's work for The Social Network, with Hans Zimmer's Inception soundtrack (his best work since The Thin Red Line) and with Daft Punk's Tron: Legacy soundtrack.

Three of the best soundtracks of the past decade if you ask me.

Archery tournament today.

I needed 12-15 arrows before my sights were properly set. Unfortunately I only get 6 practice arrows at a tournament, so my start wasn't great.

After the start I had an entire period where I was shooting pretty well, until the final end of the first series, where I had two misses and ended with 187 out of 300 (where I could have gone over 200 without the misses).

Still, for tournament play a personal best since it's one point more than last week's 186.

That last end of the first series messed up my form, though.

The second series was dysmal, with me shooting poorly and starting to doubt everything I was doing. Far too many misses for comfort, and the growing doubt causing my releases to be poorer, resulting in poorer shots. The 8th end was a lot better with good releases and good shots (9-9-8), but thinking that I've found my form again was premature.

The 9th end. Three misses. :(

giphy.gif

And then I finish the second series with a 10-9-6 to finish with 137 out of 300. Whew. For a while it looked like it would be a personal worst for tournament play.

So all in all, 324 points. My second-best tournament result, but not one I'm satisfied with, given the poor second series.

Form changes just before a tournament aren't ideal, though, so this was actually just extra practice for me. Now I need three things before the next tournament at the end of January: training, training and training!

After the tournament, I saw I only had 4800 steps for the day, so I went for a 15-minute walk to get those numbers up again. :) 

• Like 1

Week Three Summary:

- Eat well: 5 XP

Minus points for overeating yesterday and for eating a bunch of candies on Tuesday.

- Don't drink calories: 1 XP

- No snack binges: 1 XP

A minus point for overeating yesterday. Social activity so not entirely unplanned, but still excessive.

- Get to bed at a respectable time: 5 XP

Minus points for staying up too late on Tuesday and Friday.

- Increasing sleep length trend: 1 XP

- Steps: 1 XP

Minimum 7763 steps, average over 10500.

- Bodyweight exercises: 1 XP

Four sessions of calisthenics.

- 1 day without activity: 1 XP

Monday.

Total: 16 out of 22 XP for the week.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Tobbe said:

That's some nice numbers for any time of the year. But for Christmas season?! F*in' unbelievable! Thumbs Up

Thanks, but to be fair, the trouble is only going to start on the 24th. That week and the week after it are going to be *very* important for me to try and maintain my weight as good as possible.

And I'm ending the day with another song from the Top 300. My RNG gave me #233.

It's the Red Hot Chili Peppers with 'Otherside'.

RHCP has three entries in my Top 300, but remarkably, this is already their highest entry. Three entries in the tail end of my list...

• Like 3
11 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Thanks, but to be fair, the trouble is only going to start on the 24th.

You're lucky :)  For me it's pretty crazy from middle of November until middle/end of January... But yeah, Christmas week is pretty intense! Christmas celebration, with food/sweets/candy with my grandparents on the 23rd. With my parents on the morning the 24th, with my parents-in-law on the afternoon the 24th. Grandma's birthday party the 26th. "Sweets left-overs party" with my wife's relatives the 29th. New Years party the 31st. And in January there's my dad's birthday, my son's birthday, etc...

• Like 1
21 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

2010 was a great year for movie soundtracks, with Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross's work for The Social Network, with Hans Zimmer's Inception soundtrack (his best work since The Thin Red Line) and with Daft Punk's Tron: Legacy soundtrack.

Three of the best soundtracks of the past decade if you ask me.

<3

And yay, Leonidas :D

• Like 2

Once the kids were in bed, I did some rope jumping as warm-up, then some work on the pull-up bar (71 points for the PvP!) with some one-leg Romanian deadlifts interspersed between the bar work.

After that my arms were pretty shot, so I spent a couple of hours on the couch, watching TV with the missus. When she went to bed, I did the Water A Yoga session so I could mark 23 minutes for the Mini-Challenge.

Yes, I'm doing it for the PvP and the Mini-Challenge, not for me. That's how competitive I can get... :D

I've made an adjustment on the pull-up bar work (and especially the deadhangs) this past week. I now no longer bend my knees with my lower legs behind me, but I bend at the hips with my legs in front of me. Works the abs far more. B)

Pretty good evening exercise-wise, so let's play another song. The RNG gave me #102, which is the highest of two entries for Linkin Park. Here's "Numb":

• Like 4
10 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

The funny part is that Leonidas are actually considered to be on the lower end of the quality scale for Belgian chocolates... :P

We're so spoiled... :D

I still like it ;) Godiva is ok too.
And I looooove Côte d'Or!

Was in Brugge in March and there were some cute little confiseries with nice chocolate and pralinés.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Arkania said:

I still like it ;)

Oh yeah, me too, no question about that! :D

9 hours ago, Arkania said:

Was in Brugge in March and there were some cute little confiseries with nice chocolate and pralinés.

What's your opinion on Brugge? Shithole, or fairytale fucking city? :P

giphy.gif

(I love that movie :))

Brugge is not that far out for me. In fact, I'm probably going there this weekend to see the Ice Sculpture festival and to visit the Christmas markets. Wonderful city for a daytrip.

8 hours ago, Salinger said:

Oh my word, great song again. Linkin Park were the band that turned me from shitty dance music, to alternative music, rock, rap, etc. When he died, i sobbed for days. :(

Im going to listen to Hybrid Theory this morning xx

Fun tidbit: Hybrid Theory was the original name of the band before they changed it to Linkin Park. They then took the original band name as the title of their debut album. :P

5 hours ago, Tobbe said:

At about the same time I discovered Linkin Park I also found this band

Never heard of them.

*takes notes*

His singing (especially in the beginning of the song) reminded me a bit of Maynard James Keenan of Tool. B) 

• Like 2