TimovieMan on the Road to AwesomeDad™ - Pt. III

TimovieMan

2 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Fun tidbit: Hybrid Theory was the original name of the band before they changed it to Linkin Park. They then took the original band name as the title of their debut album. :P

I knew this piece of fun tidbit :). So sad about what happened to Chester.... LP was one of my all time favorite bands! I had seen them 4 times in concert and they were amazing live. 

Wolf

• Like 2

Wild Wolf- Level 10 (Respec)

Class: Operator/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 196#

Stats: STR: 28 / DEX: 20 / END: 21 / CON: 27 / WIS: 31 / CHA: 30

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: The Scout Who Outwitted the Lifter of the Dead

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

29 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

What's your opinion on Brugge? Shithole, or fairytale fucking city? :P

I were there for 3 days. It's a cute little city and we had a lovely hotel. A lot of tourism stuff, but for the three days it was ok. But no week or more trip :D

Well, I fouled up this evening.

I biked to work today, ate well throughout the day.

But an hour ago, instead of doing a yoga session (mini-challenge), I caved in and grabbed a bag of Nic-Nac cookies and ate a LOT of them. And didn't do the yoga workout.

Why am I having a harder and harder time to stay out of the sweets? A month ago I wouldn't even have thought of opening the cupboard where they're kept. Now I'm checking the cupboard almost daily and have to remind myself to stay out of it. Until this evening where I caved. "Just a handful" turned into half a friggin' bag. And it's a 1 kg bag...

And in feeling guilty about this, I've now also stayed up far later than I intended, which messes up my sleep goals as well...

giphy.gif

• Like 2

My character: Ranger TimovieMan

Active challenges: TimovieMan becomes a Time Lord

Older challenges and threads: TimovieMan on the Road to AwesomeDad™ - Pt. IIIPt. IIPt. I | TimovieMan's Daily Struggles on the Road

Weight loss goal: 35+ kg (80 pounds): 47% completed

45 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Why am I having a harder and harder time to stay out of the sweets? A month ago I wouldn't even have thought of opening the cupboard where they're kept. Now I'm checking the cupboard almost daily and have to remind myself to stay out of it. Until this evening where I caved. "Just a handful" turned into half a friggin' bag. And it's a 1 kg bag... 

Good question to ask yourself. It could be  several things : during the holidays there are so may sweets around it seems like we  "deserve it", or maybe you are tired, or stressed, or being too strict with yourself so you are rebelling ( this is the trap I get into) 

Try to not feel guilt y about it . You are learning new habits, and that just takes time. Try and look at it from an experiment stand point. Why did it happen, and what might help next time I'm in this situation? In learning new habits , you are going to slip up. That's fie. You are learning. Go to sleep, get a good night's sleep, and then have a good breakfast. Also, congrats on biking and eating well the rest of the day. One bad moment doesn't negate all the other good choices.

• Like 4

Wisdom- 13.5 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Good question to ask yourself. It could be  several things : during the holidays there are so may sweets around it seems like we  "deserve it", or maybe you are tired, or stressed, or being too strict with yourself so you are rebelling ( this is the trap I get into) 

Try to not feel guilt y about it . You are learning new habits, and that just takes time. Try and look at it from an experiment stand point. Why did it happen, and what might help next time I'm in this situation? In learning new habits , you are going to slip up. That's fie. You are learning. Go to sleep, get a good night's sleep, and then have a good breakfast. Also, congrats on biking and eating well the rest of the day. One bad moment doesn't negate all the other good choices.

Listen to this! Very wise words!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Why am I having a harder and harder time to stay out of the sweets?

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

during the holidays there are so may sweets around it seems like we  "deserve it", or maybe you are tired, or stressed, or being too strict with yourself so you are rebelling ( this is the trap I get into) 

Same here: struggling to stay away from the sweet things. We normally don't have anything at home, except my mil sent a small container loaded with "Christmas goodies" back with us when we visited her end of November. Between the boys and myself we finished it these last three weeks. Going to town is definitely harder, because there are X-mas sweets and treats everywhere! I realised that part of me is saying "but it's a special time of the year", and trying to think up other excuses why I should over indulge and buy. That might be one reason why you are also struggling, or it might be something else.

Seconding/Thirding Elastigirl's excellent advice.

• Like 2

Mrs.Van Starting from Scratch 🦸  👱‍♀️

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

There are definitely more sweets around than usual, but they were also there a month ago (because of Halloween and the period leading up to Sinterklaas), and "checking to see if there was something to munch" didn't even occur to me then. Now it's getting harder and harder.

"Stressed" is not a word that applies to me, so it's definitely not that either. I have a laid back attitude about most things, and I'm always more at risk of a bore-out than I'll ever be of a burn-out.

I suffered a bore-out at my previous job, btw. Took me a while to get out of.

And I don't think I'm being too strict with the diet. Every challenge has been slightly *less* strict than the one before, and since I got the activity tracker I dialed the strictness back even further, specifically to avoid this kind of situation.

Could it be sugar addiction coming back with a vengeance?

I thought that limiting my sugar intake (by means of no longer putting sugar in coffee, limiting soda and limiting snacking) was the main reason why I no longer felt like snacking in the evening. As in: successfully freeing myself of a sugar addiction.

Maybe I need lower amounts of sugar now before my body goes into "sugar yummy, gimme moar!" mode?

Just thinking out loud here...

10 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Go to sleep, get a good night's sleep, and then have a good breakfast. Also, congrats on biking and eating well the rest of the day. One bad moment doesn't negate all the other good choices.

I actually had a pretty low % of "awake" time tonight, which makes the shorter night not that much shorter.

tenor.gif

3 hours ago, Salinger said:

Yes, the holidays definitely makes it harder i think. More sweets and treats around the house. Take it easy on yourself xx

3 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Listen to this! Very wise words!

3 hours ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Same here: struggling to stay away from the sweet things. We normally don't have anything at home, except my mil sent a small container loaded with "Christmas goodies" back with us when we visited her end of November. Between the boys and myself we finished it these last three weeks. Going to town is definitely harder, because there are X-mas sweets and treats everywhere! I realised that part of me is saying "but it's a special time of the year", and trying to think up other excuses why I should over indulge and buy. That might be one reason why you are also struggling, or it might be something else.

Seconding/Thirding Elastigirl's excellent advice.

Thanks for the support, guys!

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Older challenges and threads: TimovieMan on the Road to AwesomeDad™ - Pt. IIIPt. IIPt. I | TimovieMan's Daily Struggles on the Road

Skipped breakfast, skipped lunch. Went for a walk during my lunch break.

Had to get some groceries after work. Got what I needed without looking at other stuff (despite not having eaten for 18 hours at that point).

Then had a sizable meal, 400g of filet mignon (wait, what? 1000 calories in meat alone???) with baked beans and potatoes. So with that many protein, a good workout was necessary.

I did some pull-up bar work. One chin-up and 5 negatives and a whole lot of failed attempts at more chin-ups and negative pull-ups.

Also 60 seconds of overhand hanging and 40 seconds of neutral hanging.

During this I did 2 sets of 10 one-leg Romanian deadlifts (per leg) to give my arms some rest.

After that I did the Yoga Water Series B. The parts where I had to plank or had extended periods in down dog were very heavy on my arms.

Probably shouldn't have started that close to the pull-up bar workout, but meh. I survived. :D

So now a song. The RNG said #52, which is the Dutch band The Scene with "Blauw".

This continues the trend of bands where the singer has died. Singer Thé Lau had terminal cancer and went on a farewell tour a year before he died.

While the band is Dutch, they probably were just as popular in Flanders. In the early 90s, I even named them "my favourite band" for a while. Mostly because of the albums "Rij, Rij, Rij", "Blauw" and "Open". But especially the album "Blauw" which is a masterpiece.

Two entries for The Scene. This is the highest of the two, but the other's top 100 as well. And it's also from the "Blauw" album. :D

(I'm pretty sure everybody in the Netherlands and Flanders now has a good idea what that other song is) :P 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

At least here in Sweden filet mignon is made from the smaller ends of beef tenderloin. 400 g of that is 490 kcal. (Unless that's 400 g after cooking it, in which case it's 590 kcal.)

Anyway... Good job on the workout! Weight Lifting 

Filet mignon is indeed made from the smaller ends. Calorie results seem to vary greatly from site to site. I just checked a few of them and 400g varies between 500 kcal and 1250 kcal.

giphy.gif

This is exactly why I just glance at the calories to get a rough ballpark figure and don't bother counting.

Also, intermittent fasting helps to not have to count in the first place. :P

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

After listening/viewing that song YouTube suggested this video

I had never heard of that band before, but I liked it Note

Never heard of them either. I can definitely appreciate the song, and the bluegrass genre in general. B)

There's only one real bluegrass song in my Top, though.

And LOL, I just found out that pressing enter in a quote breaks up that quote so you can respond to it in bits and pieces. :o

I used to just quote the same post several times and delete the stuff that wasn't applicable for each of my answers...

giphy.gif

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

Calorie results seem to vary greatly from site to site. I just checked a few of them and 400g varies between 500 kcal and 1250 kcal

I used to really trust the one I was using (a Swedish site, using the Swedish government food database). And as I said, it said it was 490 kcal. But just because you mentioned it, I just now signed up for Cronometer, which I've seen a lot of YouTubers use. And it seems really trustworthy. It even had "filet mignon" as a food option. And using the NCCDB food database it gives me 816 kcal. However - picking "filet mignon, raw, extra lean" in the ESHA database I only get 423 kcal for 400 g meat. And again, I don't know about you, but here beef tenderloin is basically fat free. It's probably the leanest cut of meat you'll find on a cow.

40 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

This is exactly why I just glance at the calories to get a rough ballpark figure and don't bother counting.

Good for you! Given the evidence in the numbers above I think this is the best way to go!

40 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

There's only one real bluegrass song in my Top, though.

What a teas you are! You obviously can't just leave it at that, without telling me which one it is! :D 

41 minutes ago, TimovieMan said:

And LOL, I just found out that pressing enter in a quote breaks up that quote so you can respond to it in bits and pieces.

Yeah, I do that sometimes. But I've found it to be a bit buggy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What I do instead is to highlight the part I want to quote, wait a bit, and a small "Quote" bubble pops up that you can click and it'll insert a quote in your message with the selected text. That works much more consistently for me.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Tobbe said:

I used to really trust the one I was using (a Swedish site, using the Swedish government food database). And as I said, it said it was 490 kcal. But just because you mentioned it, I just now signed up for Cronometer, which I've seen a lot of YouTubers use. And it seems really trustworthy. It even had "filet mignon" as a food option. And using the NCCDB food database it gives me 816 kcal. However - picking "filet mignon, raw, extra lean" in the ESHA database I only get 423 kcal for 400 g meat. And again, I don't know about you, but here beef tenderloin is basically fat free. It's probably the leanest cut of meat you'll find on a cow.

Beef tenderloin is fat free here as well, no matter if you're getting chateaubriand, tournedos or filet mignon.

5 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Good for you! Given the evidence in the numbers above I think this is the best way to go!

Every time the missus has gone on a diet and went as far as weighing each and every ingredient she ate, I responded with the world's most massive "Are you insane?" look.

If I started tracking calories obsessively myself, I'd never heard the end of it. :D

That, and I probably wouldn't keep it up for more than a day or two-three. Rough ballpark figures are more than good enough.

5 hours ago, Tobbe said:

What a teas you are! You obviously can't just leave it at that, without telling me which one it is! :D 

I'll link to it this evening. ;)

I never said I was only going to use a RNG to pick the song. :)

5 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Yeah, I do that sometimes. But I've found it to be a bit buggy. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. What I do instead is to highlight the part I want to quote, wait a bit, and a small "Quote" bubble pops up that you can click and it'll insert a quote in your message with the selected text. That works much more consistently for me.

It seems to work consistently, but you need to be on a blank line for it to work, so if you quote in the middle of a sentence, you'll need to enter twice.

Or I just haven't seen it being buggy yet. :D

7 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Haha, as good a reason as any! :) 

It's mostly that I just don't want to do that. Feels like a waste of time.

Anyway, solid day today. Ate well, went for a walk during my lunch break, and shot a whopping 117 arrows in 2 hours at archery practice tonight.

Scored 3 sessions of 30 arrows.

Started well, but got a LOT of misses suddenly. Only 2 arrows were good out of 6. But then it hit me. It was the other way around. The 4 misses were the "good" arrows and the hits were the ones with poor form. Adjusted my sights considerably and shot a lot better after that.

Still the occasional misser, but a bit more 10s and 9s than usual.

First series was 150 points (11 misses), second was 180 (7 misses), third was 220 (4 misses).

Really happy with that final series. If I could now consistently shoot like that... :)

So, let's end with a song. I promised Tobbe I'd be posting the bluegrass song in my list. At #145, from the movie "O Brother, Where Art Thou?", it's the Soggy Bottom Boys with "Man of Constant Sorrow"!!!

Actually an old song, but the version in the film is brilliant.

Great film, btw. The Coen Brothers' wacky writing, coupled with a fantastic soundtrack and lead actor George Clooney's innate talent for comedy, makes for wonderful viewing.

• Like 3

Friday:

Did some last minute late Christmas shopping, but that had ended a bit sooner than I expected, so I went for a half hour walk (in addition to the 25-minute walk I had done during my lunch break).

Since it was getting dark, and I had gone to a provincial nature domain, I tried speeding up the walk a bit by doing interval running instead. 50 seconds of running - 30 seconds of walking, for 15+ minutes. Of course that quickly turned into 40 seconds of running and 40 seconds of walking and ended with 30 seconds of running and 50 seconds of walking, but I still did it. :P

In fact, it's making me contemplate turning my lunch break runs into interval runs and slowly building them up to 20-minute runs instead. The Finnish track we have would be ideal for that, I reckon. Food for thought for a non-runner. :D

Saturday:

After getting to bed early, I got to sleep in (no swimming class for my daughter). My son did have his gymnastics class but that's only at 11 am. During that I went grocery shopping because we've got guests coming over for Christmas Eve. And in the afternoon we went to the Christmas market in a nearby city. Although you can hardly call it a Christmas market. The booths were almost all for either food or drinks (or both) and with little variety at that, and one part even resembled a fair more than a Christmas market. At least the kids had fun. :P

My tracker marked some of the walking as activity, but I'm not counting it myself. And since I skipped my planned exercise in the evening to watch a film with the missus, this was the only day without any activity this week.

Fun stuff: we did notice a new shop that's rather interesting for me, but even more so for my brother-in-law: Shop For Geek - a shop with geeky t-shirts, film and comic book collectibles and assorted stuff.

Logo-Shop-for-Geekette-1.png

I'm the one that got my brother-in-law interested in films in the first place, and now he's also something of a collector, so we decided that a gift card from there would make an excellent present for him. :P

Sunday:

Today we went to Bruges by train to visit the Ice Sculpture Festival and the Christmas markets there.

The Ice Sculpture Festival was a bit of a letdown. Last year, the theme was Disney (which includes Marvel and Star Wars), which made it interesting for both the missus and me as well as the kids. This year it was just "fantasy figures" which felt kinda generic, and often made it hard for me to explain to the kids what a certain sculpture represented. Not enough stuff to link to yet, they're only 5 and 3. Plus they added a lot of LED screens that provided no additional value whatsoever.

Good thing I had two free tickets from work. :D

In the afternoon we went for waffles (well, the missus did, I ordered pancakes and the kids wanted ice cream). Since I had eaten breakfast for the first time this month (I can't say no to croissants), I decided to skip dinner, but then the missus wanted to treat the kids with fries tonight, so that plan got scrapped as well, turning today in a bad eating day. Which is not a good idea considering what we've got in store for the next two days...

I'll be going for a 24-hour fast now, and hopefully I'll avoid jumping on the first snacks like a maniac tomorrow... :D

This evening I did a yoga session, the Fire Series A which is Intermediate level. And frankly, it's the first time it actually was hard. :)

I don't have any blocks, and I don't use any alternatives, and I tend to go for the hardest variation wherever possible, and well, I'm not entirely sure I'm ready for Fire Series B.

The seated forward fold was very hard for me, since I still have my belly that gets in the way (and I had eaten quite a lot today which didn't help matters). I was glad when the airplane pose was over, and I had a hard time keeping my balance during the revolved half moon pose. But I managed them.

Quite a leg-focused workout, imo.

Still, 32 minutes added for the rangers' mini-challenge. And since I was leading that, I hope it was enough to clinch the title. B)

Yes, I'm that competitive... :D 

I also did some pull-up bar work this evening. The plan is to destroy as much muscle tissue as I can before tomorrow evening, so I'll be doing some work tomorrow as well.

Did 2 full chin-ups and one negative chin-up, just to clear the 500-point mark for the PvP. I'm firmly in 7th position there, which is basically "best of the rest" with 6 others getting well over 1000 points (and Tobbe even getting 20000+!!!). I mainly focused on leg-assisted pull-ups after that (5 with neutral grip, 5 with overhand grip, and just the one with underhand grip).

The neutral grip and overhand grip ones still give me difficulty in getting my chin over the bar without using more leg power. Is this a skill thing I haven't nailed yet, or a strength thing???

To give my arms a little rest, I also did 2 sets of one-leg Romanian deadlifts, but I decided to do them with my dumbbells for increased difficulty. I only did 8 reps per leg instead of the planned 10 because the 2 20-pound dumbbells made them a LOT harder than I expected. In fact, for my seconds series I dropped the dumbbells again and did regular ones (10 reps per leg). Not sure if that's normal, but the reps with dumbbells seemed easier to maintain balance. I had figured it'd be harder...

• Like 2

Weekly weigh-in:

Weight: 97.1 kg (-0.4)

Body fat: 25.1% (+0.8) - variance, imo

Visceral fat: 11%

Week Four Summary:

- Eat well: 5 XP

Minus points for the snack binge on Tuesday and for my eating today.

- Don't drink calories: 1 XP

- No snack binges: 0 XP

The snack binge on Tuesday was bad enough to cost 2 points, imo.

- Get to bed at a respectable time: 5 XP

Minus points for staying up too late on Tuesday and for my very short night today - although the kids are to blame for that, they were both up at an ungodly early hour.

- Increasing sleep length trend: 1 XP

Technically a fail, but if I had just a 4-hour night tonight, I'd have cleared it. Sadly the kids gave me a 3 hour 5 minute night instead. But that's not my fault - it should have been a 5 hour+ night, so I'm not docking points for it.

- Steps: 1 XP

Minimum 7951 steps, average over 10700.

- Bodyweight exercises: 1 XP

Three sessions of calisthenics and three yoga sessions. I reckon I did enough.

- 1 day without activity: 1 XP

Saturday.

Total: 15 out of 22 XP for the week.

Epic summary:

62 out of 88 XP over four weeks

Epic goal: weight under 97 kg.

I'm still giving myself 5 points out of 6 for getting to 97.1 kg.

Epic goal: 25+ consecutive burpees

With the mini-challenge and the PvP, I've been neglecting my burpees somewhat, so I didn't even attempt an AMRAP to see where I got. No XP.

Total score of 67 out of 100. Not as much as I'd hoped, but it'll do.

• Like 2

And before I go to bed (too late again, but meh, don't need to be up early either), a song!

The RNG gave me #208, which is Sunna with "7%".

Underappreciated band. Great album!

• Like 1