• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nova Aquarii

Nova Aquarii II: Vision Quest

I am going to try and make this as coherent as possible, but I am sick again so my brain is not exactly functioning at 100% (but is it ever?). I would be tempted to say that my immune system has just decided to fail as of late, since I started the last challenge sick as well, but in reality I think it is the fact that I work in retail...and it is the holidays...and people will come out in droves, rain or shine, healthy or ill, for a deal. I imagine that by the end of Thanksgiving weekend/Black Friday, I will probably be exposed to every pathogen currently active in the Midwest. Thank you greed, materialism, and marketing, you make my life so much easier...

Ok, all ranting aside though, I am going to be veryyyy busy this challenge. I have three online classes that I am taking right now, which have finals and final projects due over the next three weeks. I am scheduled for overtime this week, working 4:30pm-1am on Thursday (no turkey time for me), and then extra long shifts on Friday and Saturday. I am sure that won't be the end of it. In fact, that is just the beginning of the Christmas shopping season. If I am lucky enough to get a day off that matches my husband's (we work almost opposite schedules), we may try to fit in a little travel to see family. So, I am not even going to pretend like adding a bunch of goals and habits to my agenda is a priority this challenge. 

That being said, I have a few things that I do want to accomplish this challenge. I am keeping it really simple, quick, and easy for the most part, and I am trying to lay the groundwork to hit the ground running for the next challenge (and the new year). 

Challenge Goals:

Drink 64oz water a day

Drinking enough water has been a struggle for me lately, especially when I am at work and may go from customer to customer for hours without the chance to step away for a sip of water. I am not going to perfection here, just trying to help keep myself focused on staying hydrated through all the madness. 

Finish five books this challenge

I set a goal at the beginning of 2018 to read 25 books this year. I have finished 19 and am a good deal of the way through two more. If I can finish those two and add three more to my stack of completed, then I will be on track to hit my goal if I read one more book during the week after this challenge ends. Oh, and textbooks do count if I have read every chapter in them.

Find my vision (and brainstorm my New Year resolutions)

- Spend time thinking about my values and priorities

- Establish a new Big Why/Mission statement

- With the current knowledge I have now, determine where I would like to be 1, 3, 5, and 10 years from now

- Decide on 3-5 goals that I can establish for 2019 that lead me closer to the place I want to be

- For each goal, select 3 measurable habits/activities for each goal that I can implement to move towards my goal on a day to day basis

Post to NF at least twice a week with updates and vision-related content

...and maybe a rant here or there to stay sane.

Keep on adventuring, my challenge comrades. Let's finish out this year strong!

• Like 4

Whewwww, this past week was INSANE. So many long hours at work, so many people, so many sales. On the plus side, it was not nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be, sometimes it was even kind of fun. On the downside, I did not get a chance to fully recover and now I think I may have a slight secondary infection. My voice is absolutely gone and I am coughing so much that my diaphragm hurts. 

I believe I managed to stick to my 64oz of water every day, though it definitely was not enough for all the talking and running around (and the dry heat of the building). I am on track to hit my goal today as well.

I finished the two books that I had previously started before the challenge, and as well as another book that I started last week, so I have completed 3/5 books for my goal. I am a little ahead of schedule because I finally had to call in sick and let myself have a day to recover. Since I hate watching TV all day, and am not much of a nap person, I spent a lot of time reading today. Being a little ahead is nice though, considering I have finals over the next couple weeks and will likely not have as much time for recreational reading.

As far as finding my vision goes, it has been in the back of my mind and I have been reading some books and articles and watching some YouTube videos and documentaries for inspiration about how to organize my thoughts and transfer my dreams into executable plans.

• Like 3

I have not been posting as consistently as I would like, but I will try to do better next week. I have been really busy this week, and really productive. On top of my full time job I managed to knock out three final exams and a final project, so I am done with the semester. I did not get as much reading done this week, as I predicted, but I have started a new book called Start With Why by Simon Sinek. I am excited to really get a chance to dig into it over the next week, as I decided to read it due to multiple recommendations from people I admire. 

I don't have an easy way of tracking my water intake at the moment, but based off of my guestimates, which tend to be fairly accurate, I would say I am hitting my water goal every day or almost every day. I definitely feel more hydrated than I did when I wasn't making that a priority. I have included some herbal tea in there as well, trying to help myself recover from being sick. I am pretty sure my cold that started about two weeks ago turned into bronchitis/a chest cold over Black Friday, so it is lingering quite a bit. But, I am finally starting to feel like I am past the worst of it and getting better.

As for the vision quest, my mind has been all over the place but I have really not had a lot of time to sit down and organize my thoughts. Now that the semester is over, I am going to dedicate some of that extra to sitting down and hashing that out because I really want to go into 2019 with a better understanding of who I am, who I want to be, and a game plan to get there. 

• Like 2

Oh man, you're sick, had 3 finals, work retail and it is the insane holiday season? You're not just an adventurer then, you're a straight up warrior for handling that. Your current book choice seems like it would be an interesting read as well. I think I'm actually still taking my time going through a book that you had mentioned in a previous challenge this year now that I think about it...

I hope you start feeling truly better as soon as possible and I'm curious about how you structure you're yearly goals, since I personally suck at doing that for myself.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 9:13 AM, Leigh said:

Oh man, you're sick, had 3 finals, work retail and it is the insane holiday season? You're not just an adventurer then, you're a straight up warrior for handling that. Your current book choice seems like it would be an interesting read as well. I think I'm actually still taking my time going through a book that you had mentioned in a previous challenge this year now that I think about it...

I certainly didn't feel like a warrior after all that, I just felt dog tired, haha. So far the book is awesome. Pretty sure ultimately it is going to be a book I 10/10 recommend. I love watching Simon Sinek's motivational videos on YouTube. The guy just seems to truly "get it." So, I am really enjoying the chance to read one of his books. It is changing the way I think about my role in the workplace, but also the way that I approach life. 

On 12/2/2018 at 9:13 AM, Leigh said:

I hope you start feeling truly better as soon as possible and I'm curious about how you structure you're yearly goals, since I personally suck at doing that for myself.

Well, I am mostly better now. My cough refuses to completely go away, but aside from that I am pretty much back to full health. As for my yearly goals, it has changed a lot from year to year. Sometimes they are more structured, other times not so much (those don't tend to get me as far). This year I want to change it up though. I want to think more long term, then scale it back to what I can accomplish this year. Then I want to actually break it down month by month and create check-ins to keep myself accountable. This year I just kind of flew with a general idea: Grow and Build. And considering this year I got married, moved, started a new job, got a new pet, will have read 25 books by the end of the year, and have made some way in personal development, I would say it was an effective enough method. But, other more specific things like fitness, overall health, and pursuing my talents and passions have kind of fallen aside a bit, so this year I want to approach things with more structure so I can make time for the things that are important, but not necessarily urgent, instead of focusing only on the urgent. 

As for an update:

Still keeping up with water. I am making progress on my 4th book for the month, and hopefully should have that finished by the end of the week or early next week. 

My vision quest is coming along. After all the physical and mental stress of the past few weeks, I needed to take a few mental health days to just kind of...decompress? Yeah, that is the word I want. But it has given me time to myself to start mulling over these things more. Between the books I have been reading and other sources of media I have been choosing to consume (I am obsessed with minimalism and creative videos on YouTube right now), I am reflecting a lot on where I am and where my values are. I will try and put some of my thoughts into words and post about it here soon.

• Like 4

On 12/8/2018 at 7:02 PM, pureleeawesome said:

Ooh, would love some of those minimalism links if you don't mind sharing :P

My favorites lately have been Matt D'Avella, The Minimalists, Break the Twitch, and MuchelleB. They put a lot of focus not only on minimalism and simple living, but also on intentional living, doing what is most important to you, being more productive, etc. 

Progress update:

Drink 64oz water a day

I have been pretty good about drinking my water each day. There were a few days that I forgot, but I definitely felt the difference. Naturally that encourages better behavior, since NOT drinking enough results in discomfort, like my lips getting really dry or feeling more tired in the middle of the day.

Finish five books this challenge

I finished six books! I achieved my goal of reading 25 books this year, and eleven days early at that. At this rate, I might just get in 26. It is like a bonus round.

Find my vision (and brainstorm my New Year resolutions)

- Spend time thinking about my values and priorities

I have been giving this sooooo much thought lately. I have also been reading multiple books that have helped me to organize my thoughts and think about things from other perspectives. I have realized the way that I am living is not emphasizing my values and priorities at all. A majority of my time is spent at a job that is tolerable, but not fulfilling, followed by hours of scrolling through social media, watching Netflix, and wondering where on earth all my time has gone. 

- Establish a new Big Why/Mission statement

My new Big Why: I want to live a life of unleashed potential. I want to create new things and provide others with the knowledge, tools, and support to pursue their passions and unleash their own creative spirit. I want people to look at my life and think, wow, that woman live's life to the fullest and never takes a day for granted. I want to live with intention and meaning. I want my actions and priorities to align with my passions and the things that I value. I want to eat in a way that fuels my body, enhances my mind, and energizes me so that I can accomplish my goals. I want to feel strong and connected with my body. I want to have the physical energy and strength to go on all kinds of adventures, lift heavy things instead of having to "let the guys take care of it," protect myself if need be, and generally accomplish daily tasks with ease. I want my diet and exercise to support my mental and physical health, not just now, but for the rest of my life. 

Post to NF at least twice a week with updates and vision-related content

I have not posted as much as I set out to, but I believe I have been better about updating than in my last few challenges, so I am at least making forward progress. 

The past few weeks have been very difficult. I have been struggling with a lot of mental health issues and things at work have been stressful. I also have a lot of decisions to make and a lot of things are currently up in the air. Instability is uncomfortable. Change is uncomfortable. But they are necessary in order for me to live the life that I dream of having. The last six months I have become complacent. I have shifted from thriving and trying new things to survival mode. I have stopped taking care of myself the way that I should, and my mental and physical health have suffered for it. Now I am introducing changes again. I am making choices that are requiring me to step outside of my comfort zone, and it is challenging. As the depression of complacency and dissatisfaction slowly begins to fade, the anxiety of change rises quickly, and I feel caught in the crossfire of the two. 

• Like 1