• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Harriet

Harriet's Emergency Stopgap

Typed the following out earlier but something went awry! haha a bit off-topic by now as you seem to have figured some stuff out already but I enjoyed reading about this experiment so figured another nerd might as well:

Depending on your height and body, 1700 is probably too low. For reference, there was a starvation experiment in the mid-1900s and the participants were fed 1570 cals. 1570 calories per day sent these men into starvation. This article says a normal diet is 3200 cals (again for men, but still not a number you typically hear as normal these days). fantasizing about food was one of the symptoms the participants experienced during starvation so sounds like a signal from your body to eat!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Minneapolis is awesome, Memphis is a terror.

....hey....i represent that comment and a memphis 'driver'....and yes, I put driver in quotes because I'm not sure thats what we really do around here...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, farflight said:

FTFY

Futuristic Turtle-Flipping yoga. Frisbee-Tossing Friends Yodel. Fie! Talentless, Flibertigibbet Youth!

3 hours ago, farflight said:

FTFY

I know we are likely different sizes (I'm 6' ft 2 inches, roughly 200 lbs male)...but 1700 calories sounds....miserable...I'd kill someone...daily.....

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having an off day. Apparently, you needed that extra sleep, sleep is just as important as gym time. Also, please, be patient with yourself. Throughout my life, I always heard the old line "treat others how you would like to be treated..." and I am typically happy to make any excuse for other peoples behavior, but somehow "I've gotta do better..." and held myself up to this impossible standard...and I was never at peace, never happy, never enjoyed anything.

What I finally learned was to "treat myself they way I treat others." No one else is going to treat me the way that I want to be treated (for the most part)...the world doesn't care (again, for the most part, there are oases of decent people, but they can be few and far between). I've got to treat myself well. I've got to be patient with myself. 

It's alright to fall off the wagon...hell it's alright to jump headfirst off the wagon and do a belly flop (like I did at last nights dinner: Cheddar's: half a plate of their cheese fries, philly cheesesteak sandwich...and ceasar side salad....and a cookie when I got home....). But it was yummy...and fun. And I'm back at it today. Yesterdays meal was worth it, no reason to beat myself up about it

It's kind of like Grumble said is a comment on my challenge regarding a financial purchase..."buy once...cry once." 

"eat once, weep once"? 

If I treated other people the way I treat myself, I'd be a hardened blackguard. But with less murder and more totally unfounded and scathing criticism. Imagine me walking up to a perfectly pleasant and attractive young woman and saying "You're as fat as you are socially awkward, wench. Amongst thousands of ordinary, good people, you alone are uniquely shit, even though you thought you were okay for a few hours this morning", then sheathing my demonic claymore that feasts on the blood insecurities of the innocent and walking away. 

I've been learning to be kinder and fairer to myself but it's taking time and I'm inconsistent.

Your cheese feast sounds fantastic. Is cheese steak exactly what it sounds like--cheese upon steak? No one ever offered me cheese on top of fries until I came to America. I think there's a conspiracy here to push more cheese. I don't mind though. I want to submit to the cheese agenda.

• Like 2

yessssssssss the cheese agenda!! hahaha a philly cheesesteak is a sub sandwich with shaved steak and american cheese (usually). i'm sure people from Philadelphia have a very specific definition of cheesesteak. BUT there are also nice restaurants that will serve melty globs of brie or bleu on top of a filet. i don't think there's a wrong way to eat cheese with your steak ;) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

@Tanktimus the Encourager, thanks for the call; I love talking about bikes.  There used to be a car-free family here who rode everywhere.  I wish I could remember who that was and tag them (if they're still around).

@Redstone , most women need a shorter and wider seat, but most spin classes have a generic (that is male) seat, but everyone's butt hurts until it gets used to riding again.

@Harriet , if you fear and hate cycling there are other ways to get around your (urban?) environment.  I'm starting to see a lot of those electric scooters pop up around here.  Where are you at?   America varies widely in how cyclists are treated.  Minneapolis is awesome, Memphis is a terror.  The suburbs are almost always bad.  The country and small towns are almost always good.  Minneapolis, by the way, grinds down the paint lines when they re-do them so they don't build up.

The general rule of thumb is that your knee hurt, you should raise your sea, if the back of your knees hurt you should lower your seat.  Another common cause is a lack of stability in your knees.  Usually that means you'll need to strengthen your quads.

@DJTrippyT thinks my answer to everything is to buy a bike.  In your case it might be a good idea.  I ride with a guy whose wife didn't know how to ride a bike when they met, but she wanted to ride so she could do the family activities.  She started with a three wheeler, once she was used to traffic she got an Electra Townie and learned to ride.  Something like that might be a good choice for you.  The seat is set back and the positioning is upright.  The benefit is that you can have a full leg extension and still be seated low, making it easy to step down.  The low center of gravity helps make the bike feel more stable too.

Electra Townie Bike , they probably start at $450 and go up.  There are other bikes that fit similarly though.

Your local REI may offer bike classes aimed at people who want to get more comfortablee on a bike.

Locking a bike is always a hassle.  Sometimes I get it in 3 seconds, sometimes I'm fumbling around forever.

I've only done three spin classes.  It's a great workout, I'd do it regularly  if I belonged to a gym.  Usually the bikes require the clip-in shoes, but they also usually have them to borrow.  The instructor is good at getting people motivated, but, sadly, I've never heard of a nerd-centric class like you described.  We really need a NF gym somewhere.

Everyone gets up hills by intensity of will.  People either love it or hate it.  If you could gear down even more so that you're spinning up the hills it might not be so hellish for you.  Or get an electric assist bike.  Those are awesome.

I lost where you talked about it, but has your vision been checked recently?  After my last concussion I was having trouble at intersections too.  The optometrist had prisms ground into my glasses to get rid of double vision and everything got better.

Good luck.  I'm always around if you have any more questions.

Thank you so much for the detailed response. I'm glad to know other people fumble awkwardly with locks and find hills intense :)

I'm in Berkeley, and I walk a lot. I can also get Lyft when I need to. There are even some buses. I'm not in a desperate situation, but it would be good to become at least moderately proficient at cycling and overcome the fear thing.

The townie bike sounds awesome; I would love to have flat feet and full leg extension at the same time. I may consider something like this for when I return home, but we're only staying for another 9 months and I already spent money on a new bike, so I'm going to try to make the best of it.

I think my distance vision is good. If anything it's a bit of a strain to focus on things up close, so definitely not cars. It's more about my ability to judge distance and speed of multiple moving things simultaneously--I get flustered and don't trust my judgement. Also my dreadful balance.

It seems clear that the solution for knee pain is raising the seat, and the solution for lack of balance from raising the seat is either practice or buy a different-shaped bike. Practice it is! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, snowkc said:

I just read through a lot of this and liked a bunch of posts.  I lost track of everyone I wanted to quote, so I'll keep it short. This was such a helpful read for me.  I've been trying to not judge my food intake too much (other than making sure I get enough protein) and to stay off the damn scale except maybe once per month, but it's haard.  Since starting to lift again, I've been hungrier and eating about 2100 calories per day... which feels like a lot for me.  I'm a 5'4ish woman and weigh somewhere between 170-175 lbs... which needs to change but I want to change it in a better way than I've done in the past.  I know I'm getting stronger and good things are happening, but it is so hard to let go of the  GET SKINNIER DON'T EAT RUN ALL THE TIME mentality. ... I really appreciate the "it gets better" stories, so thanks everyone!

Hey, glad you're finding it useful. There's a few of us at different stages of this journey, apparently. Much luck and progress to you! And to me! Hurrah! 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

Typed the following out earlier but something went awry! haha a bit off-topic by now as you seem to have figured some stuff out already but I enjoyed reading about this experiment so figured another nerd might as well:

Depending on your height and body, 1700 is probably too low. For reference, there was a starvation experiment in the mid-1900s and the participants were fed 1570 cals. 1570 calories per day sent these men into starvation. This article says a normal diet is 3200 cals (again for men, but still not a number you typically hear as normal these days). fantasizing about food was one of the symptoms the participants experienced during starvation so sounds like a signal from your body to eat!

I'm 5'6" and 143lb atm. My husband, who is taller and heavier than me, eats about the same amount as I do, sometimes less. Not sure what's going on. All I know is I'm a hungry beast who hates not eating.

3200??? WHY THE FORK does everyone say that 2000 is average, then? This would imply that I, being an average-sized woman and therefore a below-average-sized human, should need less than 2000.  So it feels weird when I eat more. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I'm 5'6" and 143lb atm. My husband, who is taller and heavier than me, eats about the same amount as I do, sometimes less. Not sure what's going on. All I know is I'm a hungry beast who hates not eating.

3200??? WHY THE FORK does everyone say that 2000 is average, then? This would imply that I, being an average-sized woman and therefore a below-average-sized human, should need less than 2000.  So it feels weird when I eat more. 

i'm pretty sure the book i recommended talks about this but 2,000 is a rounded-down number from the FDA years ago and really only applies to children and post-menopausal women. from what i can see, it was easier to use 2000 haha

1 minute ago, Harriet said:

Oh, on top of all the bike and diet discussions, I should add that I deadlifted 155 for the first time today. Got 3.3.3.1.1. 

YAAASSSS!!! congrats! that's huge. and a lot of reps.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

yessssssssss the cheese agenda!! hahaha a philly cheesesteak is a sub sandwich with shaved steak and american cheese (usually). 

I can haz?

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c12cd5737785a3849

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i'm pretty sure the book i recommended talks about this but 2,000 is a rounded-down number from the FDA years ago and really only applies to children and post-menopausal women. from what i can see, it was easier to use 2000 haha

YAAASSSS!!! congrats! that's huge. and a lot of reps.

They ROUNDED IT DOWN because it was EASIER?????? HARRIET IS ANGRY

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c12cddd5433345145

Also, I bought the book on kindle. Going to sit down and read a bit this afternoon :)

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Think of it as one more reason to flip off recommended calorie numbers and do things your own way.

And now that I am fully caught up, congratulations on the deadlift PR!

giphy.gif

• Like 3

7 hours ago, farflight said:

....hey....i represent that comment and a memphis 'driver'....and yes, I put driver in quotes because I'm not sure thats what we really do around here...

To be fair it might have been Nashville that frightened me. I do remember that we were in Tennessee for 10 days and I rode my bike every day and the only bikes I saw were the ones on top of my car. 

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

My cynical mind assumes that due to the failure of the world health org's dietary info and the retarded food pyramid, the daily calorie limit is being reduced to ridiculous numbers in a last ditch attempt to slow down obesity rates.

Eating lettuce and running hours on a treadmill didn't work in the 70s and it's not working now...

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Blocky said:

the retarded food pyramid

Which was developed by the department of AGRICULTURE in the U.S. I'm no farmer, nor am I a government official, but it seems to me the inherent conflict of interest here isn't very hard to spot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Which was developed by the department of AGRICULTURE in the U.S. I'm no farmer, nor am I a government official, but it seems to me the inherent conflict of interest here isn't very hard to spot.

Marion Nestle has a number of excellent books and articles on this topic, such as Food Politics and What to Eat. I found it very interesting, but I've become a health nerd who likes reading about food, so.

8 hours ago, Blocky said:

My cynical mind assumes that due to the failure of the world health org's dietary info and the retarded food pyramid, the daily calorie limit is being reduced to ridiculous numbers in a last ditch attempt to slow down obesity rates.

Eating lettuce and running hours on a treadmill didn't work in the 70s and it's not working now...

I think the pyramid may indeed have been captured or at least influenced by industry. But wouldn't they desire a higher daily calorie limit? ""Rejoice consumers citizens, science has determined, verily, that calories are half the size we believed and you must therefore eat twice as many"? No? Too implausible, even for advertisers?

BTW How accurate do you all think myfitnesspal's exercise calories are? I realised they had totally ignored my assertion that I do, in fact, exercise, and had not taken this into account in my allotted calories. I am supposed to manually enter my exercise, and they gave me more than 500 extra calories yesterday for about an hour of walking and as much weightlifting. Seems excessive. Also, even though I spend an hour at the gym, three quarters of that is sitting down waiting for the next set, so I'm not sure if I should enter 15 minutes. 

19 minutes ago, Harriet said:

BTW How accurate do you all think myfitnesspal's exercise calories are? I realised they had totally ignored my assertion that I do, in fact, exercise, and had not taken this into account in my allotted calories. I am supposed to manually enter my exercise, and they gave me more than 500 extra calories yesterday for about an hour of walking and as much weightlifting. Seems excessive. Also, even though I spend an hour at the gym, three quarters of that is sitting down waiting for the next set, so I'm not sure if I should enter 15 minutes. 

I tend to 'low ball' how much they think I burned. Granted, I do not enter my workouts/activities manually (I use a fitbit tracker for exercise and such and those numbers transfer into MFP). Try not to get too hung up on the numbers, they are never going to be hugely accurate. I mainly use MFP and fitbit calorie counts to get a general idea (which really bugs the OCD/anal retentive jackass/numbers nerd part of me up the wall). 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Harriet said:

My husband, who is taller and heavier than me, eats about the same amount as I do, sometimes less. Not sure what's going on. All I know is I'm a hungry beast who hates not 

Same! I think it is a metabolism thing (mostly) and choices (a little). My husband can go for weird lengths of time without sleep or food. I hate the fact that I eat more, but there is nothing for it. :(

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Katerina said:

Same! I think it is a metabolism thing (mostly) and choices (a little). My husband can go for weird lengths of time without sleep or food. I hate the fact that I eat more, but there is nothing for it.

Could also just be straight up behaviors and differences in hunger cues. There are a multitude of reasons why he/they would/wouldn't eat more/less

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Katerina said:

Same! I think it is a metabolism thing (mostly) and choices (a little). My husband can go for weird lengths of time without sleep or food. I hate the fact that I eat more, but there is nothing for it. :(

What farflight said.

I eat more than my husband does as well, and he's a couple of inches taller than I am, and he also outweighs me. However, I am considerably more active on a daily basis than he is, so to me, it makes sense that I would eat more than he does.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

Marion Nestle has a number of excellent books and articles on this topic, such as Food Politics and What to Eat. I found it very interesting, but I've become a health nerd who likes reading about food, so.

I'll be looking into these - thanks!

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

I think the pyramid may indeed have been captured or at least influenced by industry. But wouldn't they desire a higher daily calorie limit? ""Rejoice consumers citizens, science has determined, verily, that calories are half the size we believed and you must therefore eat twice as many"? No? Too implausible, even for advertisers?

The diet industry and "diet" food industry probably have more pull. you can still sell tons of grain as long as you label it low-fat :lol: or another "health food" trigger phrase

• Like 3

For whatever it's worth, we are similarly sized humans and we have fairly similar walking/lifting habits. My Fitbit averages around 2300 per day of keeping me alive. So yes, eating 1300 calories per day would indeed make one rather miserable and 0/10 would not recommend. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

For whatever it's worth, we are similarly sized humans and we have fairly similar walking/lifting habits. My Fitbit averages around 2300 per day of keeping me alive. So yes, eating 1300 calories per day would indeed make one rather miserable and 0/10 would not recommend. 

Hail, fellow medium-sized human!!! Do you walk a lot just to get around, or as extra fitness stuff? 

1 minute ago, Harriet said:

Hail, fellow medium-sized human!!! Do you walk a lot just to get around, or as extra fitness stuff? 

As a desk dweller, the walking began as a way to combat all the sitting one tends to do. As I went, I found out that it is terrific for my mental health, helps with workout recovery, and generally helps me feel less stiff. So it's fitness, but with bonuses :)

• Like 1

Today I benched 80lb for the first time. Got 4.3.3.2.3. A blond underwear model university lad rescued me from my failed fourth set. It's quite different from my gym in Berlin where I had to do the roll of shame regularly. Here it took about five seconds for someone to dash over and assist. No regrets. 

But something even more awesome than a benching PR happened today. One of the staff walked over to me (I glanced at my bar to check I'd remembered both clips) and asked me if I had a trainer or was just doing things by myself. He'd seen me trying my hardest and writing my results in my little book. And he told me there is a powerlifting club in a secret underground lair under the main gym and I should check it out. On my way out I saw him at the front desk and asked how to get downstairs, so he showed me into the warrior's dungeon where I saw round colourful plates (no sodding dodecahedrons) and wooden platforms. And no one who is not in the club is allowed in. Only power and oly lifters. In fact, olympic lifts aren't allowed in the main gym, but they are downstairs. I'm so excited. It doesn't make sense to start now because one has to pay for a semester and things are obviously winding down for Christmas. But next year, next semester, I am going to sign up. I'm so excited.

giphy.gif

• Like 6