• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski’s Habbit Laboratory

21 hours ago, Harriet said:

TWICE as many suits! I assume dancers must wear fancy suits. 

If we danced ballroom, yep! But for Latin (style we compete) it's more like fancy pants plus fancy tunic or step through leotard shirt.

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ah yeah I have the book sitting on my to read shelf. 

Oooh nice! I think I'll *probably* avoid reading another book on habits, I feel like now I just need to carve out time to actually act on my habit changes. But the podcast did give me some good actionable tips.

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Ooh nice, congrats!

Thanks friend!

Week 1, Day 5:

Decent day at work, if not especially productive - I'm very mentally / emotionally checked out at this point with my current company and it's showing in how I approach the workday. I think management has figured out something's up though, my director has gone out of his way to try and tee up additional scope and visibility opportunities for me. I'm leaning into it for now - I don't want to tip my hand until I'm putting in my two weeks, and if I don't get the offer I'm gunning for, I want to be well set up in my current job since I'll still be here for a bit. Also had a good chat with a coworker who's struggling with career direction and lent her my "Designing Your Life" book I read recently (incidentally, highly recommend the book to anyone who's struggling with discerning career direction).

Felt kinda dead to the world (probably combo of sinus infection I'm probably fighting plus an allergy shot the day before) so I went home a bit early and just chilled til it was time for practice. Practice itself was pretty great, partner and I went deep on getting more body action into our samba (and clarifying some specific technique nuances our coach gave us in the lesson), then worked musicality in rumba and our existing topics in all the other dances. I'm really finding more muscle engagement control in our slow reps, which is super promising that I might be able to start having more quality show up in full speed, comp-style reps in the not too distant future. Still a process, but every practice is leaving me with a good feeling without me needing to try hard for it - this may be the first partnership where I really, truly feel that.

Oh, and for anyone who knows my particular brand of weird obsessions, Freakonomics has a podcast about how great Trader Joe's is as their episode of the week - literally custom made for me, but apparently I'm not the craziest fan - they interviewed a guy from Alaska who flies home with multiple hundreds of $$'s worth of groceries whenever he has a work trip to the lower 48.

- New home for the phone: 5/5 - didn't do great here, but counting it since it's week 1 of the new habit

- Prayer: 4.5/5 

- Stretches: 5/5

- Food: 5/5 - went maaaybe 50-100 cals over, hard to track a work provided lunch and had a few too many sweets at home; gonna try and reset the sugar craving habit today (seeing if I can go no dessert after dinner, cause I maybe accidentally conditioned myself to expect a "treat" after finishing my dinner)

• Like 4

You're doing great despite being sick. It seems like a lot of career changing is in the air on the forums. I may look into that book! I'm still trying to figure out where I want to go from my current position and just about hitting the deadlines I set for myself to start taking real action to change paths. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Oh, and for anyone who knows my particular brand of weird obsessions, Freakonomics has a podcast about how great Trader Joe's is as their episode of the week - literally custom made for me, but apparently I'm not the craziest fan - they interviewed a guy from Alaska who flies home with multiple hundreds of $$'s worth of groceries whenever he has a work trip to the lower 48.

ha! though depending how often he flies down, you might be spending more per month still. it'd be crazier if he MOVED to be near (or in?) a TJ

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, raptron said:

You're doing great despite being sick. It seems like a lot of career changing is in the air on the forums. I may look into that book! I'm still trying to figure out where I want to go from my current position and just about hitting the deadlines I set for myself to start taking real action to change paths. 

Thanks friend - I keep forgetting that I'm sick and need to adjust my expectations on workouts and work productivity lower to account for that until it's fully cleared. I would highly recommend the book, or at least one of the exercises in it that recommends keeping a log of what activities leave you feeling energized or sapped of energy at work and what the common threads between those might be (there's a "try stuff" call to action at the end of the first 6 or so chapters, all with the intent to systematically guide you through your own life design journey - I'm about halfway through the 3rd of 6 and really liking the process so far).

1 hour ago, CourtnieMarie said:

ha! though depending how often he flies down, you might be spending more per month still. it'd be crazier if he MOVED to be near (or in?) a TJ

Not gonna lie, walking distance to a TJ's is not out of the question for my eventual apartment hunting criteria. But ya, I'm sure I still spend more per month, it's more the super fandom of bringing an extra suitcase for grocery shopping that makes me smile.

Also, work update: had a really good talk with my skip level boss that makes me a lot more excited about what staying here will look like if I do end up going down that road. It all remains to be seen, though, this could be a temporary positive spike before a frustrating storm.

Workouts this week were...a mixed bag. The good: I've got a new leg day setup that I LOVE that's heavy on unilateral work, and I had some really good spurts of upper body work with my gymnastics variations. Oh, and handstands are getting substantially more consistent. The bad: strength endurance was NOT there on a lot of exercises, and I feel a little beat up and run down. Here's hoping plenty of sleep this weekend will help me kick this sinus infection and make me feel great to tackle the next week!

• Like 5

5 hours ago, MikeW said:
On 11/29/2018 at 3:15 PM, Harriet said:

TWICE as many suits! I assume dancers must wear fancy suits. 

If we danced ballroom, yep! But for Latin (style we compete) it's more like fancy pants plus fancy tunic or step through leotard shirt.

Even. Better. Sounds more comfortable than fancy suits anyway. :) 

Sounds like the week went ok, and I agree--give yourself a break--sinus infection? Those are nasty beasts. And the dancing sounds like it is going awesome, so sounds like the week gets one and a half thumbs up, and the sinus infection gets half of another finger. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, MikeW said:

Felt kinda dead to the world (probably combo of sinus infection I'm probably fighting plus an allergy shot the day before) so I went home a bit early and just chilled til it was time for practice. Practice itself was pretty great, partner and I went deep on getting more body action into our samba (and clarifying some specific technique nuances our coach gave us in the lesson), then worked musicality in rumba and our existing topics in all the other dances. I'm really finding more muscle engagement control in our slow reps, which is super promising that I might be able to start having more quality show up in full speed, comp-style reps in the not too distant future. Still a process, but every practice is leaving me with a good feeling without me needing to try hard for it - this may be the first partnership where I really, truly feel that.

I don't know what body action and slow reps are in dancing, but It sounds like your dancing is on a really good track, and your partner is a good fit. Congrats! I wish you continuing dance awesomeness. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, MikeW said:

I feel like now I just need to carve out time to actually act on my habit changes.

What, you mean actually stop collecting underpants? Not guilty of that at all. :P 

(And then you throw another book into the mix, thanks ;))

14 hours ago, MikeW said:

Still a process, but every practice is leaving me with a good feeling without me needing to try hard for it - this may be the first partnership where I really, truly feel that.

<3

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 6:03 PM, Katerina said:

Even. Better. Sounds more comfortable than fancy suits anyway. :) 

Haha mostly - and certainly more comfortable than tights and a dance belt for ballet! (Just saw the nutcracker this weekend, hence top of mind).

On 11/30/2018 at 6:03 PM, Katerina said:

Sounds like the week went ok, and I agree--give yourself a break--sinus infection? Those are nasty beasts. And the dancing sounds like it is going awesome, so sounds like the week gets one and a half thumbs up, and the sinus infection gets half of another finger. ;)

Yep, gotta go easy on myself given the infection - and mercifully I'm making some progress on clearing this sucker out so that I can do all the fun things without thinking twice about stupid stuffy sinuses.

On 11/30/2018 at 7:18 PM, Harriet said:

I don't know what body action and slow reps are in dancing, but It sounds like your dancing is on a really good track, and your partner is a good fit. Congrats! I wish you continuing dance awesomeness. 

Haha thanks - that was definitely some jargon - slow reps just meaning working on very slow, controlled movements and making sure that we've both got control over the full range of motion, body action being articulation of the back and core to create a look of three-dimensional depth and volume in the torso (basically, both are things that just make everything look better).

On 12/1/2018 at 3:10 AM, Mad Hatter said:

What, you mean actually stop collecting underpants? Not guilty of that at all. :P 

(And then you throw another book into the mix, thanks ;))

Bahaha I'm an enabler of all the bad habits for the warriors / assassins. Or at least the overcommitting to read stuff side of things.

On 12/1/2018 at 3:10 AM, Mad Hatter said:

<3

<3

Week 1 Days 6-7 plus Week 2 Day 1: 

Did lots of fun things - saw one of my dance students perform in a local Nutcracker production (just a small part as a party girl) and it was adorable seeing her on stage. And had friendsgiving yesterday where I managed to save a pretty bad mess up on my mac n cheese (I didn't cook the roux at all before adding milk to my bechamel, so it was a thin cheese and pasta soup going into the oven). Also a delightful evening all around hanging out with cool people, watching a "classic" Christmas movie (Love, Actually, which I'm not a fan of) and eating way too much yummy stuff (thankfully, once a year type event). Also had some solid dance practices and a really good lesson on Saturday. Did not get near as much grad school work done as I'd like, but I'm near guaranteed to pass the course and trying to let go of my perfectionism on that front to instead embrace the good enoughness.

- New home for the phone: 8/8 - didn't do great here, but counting it since it's week 1 of the new habit

- Prayer: 7.5/8 

- Stretches: 8/8

- Food: 8/8 - note that friendsgiving was less of an active tracking and more of a deliberate choice to neither track nor care about tracking

• Like 7

On 11/29/2018 at 3:49 PM, MikeW said:

Yep! We did our first competition in mid-October, before officially partnering up - it was just a small collegiate comp in Dallas, but it was super fun to put our syllabus stuff out there - especially because we were the best dancers the college kids had seen in-person by far, so we got lots of adoring fans for the day (didn't hurt that a guy-guy couple is immediately eye-catching in the warmup area, even before we take the floor, lol). There's actually a big collegiate comp in NYC this weekend that was on our radar, but the plan we ended up going with didn't have it in the cards this time around. But I for sure want to make a NYC trip happen again, maybe even just for a camp if a comp doesn't quite work in our plans - I LOVE NYC whenever I visit, so much energy and liveliness to the place.

Oooh that's so exciting! Congrats on what sounds like a really good competition! Aw I understand not being able to come up this time around but I hope you can at some point! I would love to come and watch you kick butt and cheer you on (and then maybe do city things)! I love watching dance so much.  Actually if you're ever up for sharing any videos of your comps I would love to watch the heck outta that, just saying.  (I literally sit around half the day watching dance videos anyway, might as well be of someone I know XD)

We're mostly doing collegiate comps because they typically allow same-sex couples in the same pool as the other couples, rather than having a small, separate division for same-sex (which is what some USADance comps do) or not offering anything for same-sex (which is what NDCA comps currently do). There's also a few same-sex specific comps every year, though I don't know much about them, yet, and probably also world championships that we'll slot into our calendar whenever we can. Still figuring all that out though, thankfully we've got plenty of time to nail things down.

Oh that's super annoying, I thought NDCA did what USADance did for some reason - which is still dumb but I guess better than not offering anything at all. What are the collegiate comps? Are they just like other independent groups running them and all am? Oooh world championships, so excite!

On 11/30/2018 at 1:44 PM, MikeW said:

Practice itself was pretty great, partner and I went deep on getting more body action into our samba (and clarifying some specific technique nuances our coach gave us in the lesson), then worked musicality in rumba and our existing topics in all the other dances. I'm really finding more muscle engagement control in our slow reps, which is super promising that I might be able to start having more quality show up in full speed, comp-style reps in the not too distant future. Still a process, but every practice is leaving me with a good feeling without me needing to try hard for it - this may be the first partnership where I really, truly feel that.

Bolded for emphasis - that is so freakin' awesome! It's still so interesting to me the effect who you're dancing with has on progress in ballroom - it's so different from what I'm used to.  That's so great you're really able to work to your full potential now.  Also the muscle engagement stuff just started clicking with me so I'm pumped to actually start working on it.  The way I realized I was engaging one particular muscle in my back correctly is actually kind of funny - I was getting a massage and at a certain stop I like jumped because I was so startled by the soreness I hadn't noticed and was like WHAT MUSCLE EVEN IS THAT I'VE NEVER FELT THAT BEFORE and then realized it was part of what I use to wind up. Hahah

On 11/30/2018 at 4:26 PM, MikeW said:

The bad: strength endurance was NOT there on a lot of exercises, and I feel a little beat up and run down. Here's hoping plenty of sleep this weekend will help me kick this sinus infection and make me feel great to tackle the next week!

I don't think this is bad - you were sick! You did the thing and that's all that matters.

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

Did not get near as much grad school work done as I'd like, but I'm near guaranteed to pass the course and trying to let go of my perfectionism on that front to instead embrace the good enoughness.

I feel this so hard - learning to let things go as just OK is a huge hurtle of mine.  Glad you were able to get done what you needed to and let yourself relax a bit instead of going full A-type on that homework :)

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

Haha mostly - and certainly more comfortable than tights and a dance belt for ballet! (Just saw the nutcracker this weekend, hence top of mind).

I just imagined you in a tutu and now I can't stop giggling.

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Raxie said:
19 hours ago, Grumble said:

Sigh, I miss tutus.

I have 3 tutus. NOTHING IS STOPPING ANYONE FROM WEARING A TUTU, BALLET OR NO.

Hello, yes, I am an enabler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

22 hours ago, Raxie said:

Oooh that's so exciting! Congrats on what sounds like a really good competition! Aw I understand not being able to come up this time around but I hope you can at some point! I would love to come and watch you kick butt and cheer you on (and then maybe do city things)! I love watching dance so much.  Actually if you're ever up for sharing any videos of your comps I would love to watch the heck outta that, just saying.  (I literally sit around half the day watching dance videos anyway, might as well be of someone I know XD)

Ok!! Don’t have anything recent, but I’ll share an oooold YouTube link in a bit.

Oh that's super annoying, I thought NDCA did what USADance did for some reason - which is still dumb but I guess better than not offering anything at all. What are the collegiate comps? Are they just like other independent groups running them and all am? Oooh world championships, so excite!

Yup, collegiates are independent, usually all-am, and they’re able to make their own rules independent of USAD and NDCA. Columbia typically has theirs in early December, so it’s on my and my partner’s radar for future years.

Bolded for emphasis - that is so freakin' awesome! It's still so interesting to me the effect who you're dancing with has on progress in ballroom - it's so different from what I'm used to.  That's so great you're really able to work to your full potential now.  Also the muscle engagement stuff just started clicking with me so I'm pumped to actually start working on it.  The way I realized I was engaging one particular muscle in my back correctly is actually kind of funny - I was getting a massage and at a certain stop I like jumped because I was so startled by the soreness I hadn't noticed and was like WHAT MUSCLE EVEN IS THAT I'VE NEVER FELT THAT BEFORE and then realized it was part of what I use to wind up. Hahah

Haha for sure - now coach is holding both of us to a very high standard, which should be great for our progress individually and as a team! And yes, always fun to uncover new or newly utilized muscles.

I don't think this is bad - you were sick! You did the thing and that's all that matters.

True. Can’t beat myself up too much when fighting a sickness - especially because this’ll be a big win in going a whole fall season without antibiotics! Never happened to me since relocating down to Texas.

I feel this so hard - learning to let things go as just OK is a huge hurtle of mine.  Glad you were able to get done what you needed to and let yourself relax a bit instead of going full A-type on that homework :)

Ya, still a big hurdle for me too. But passing is the new goal for these courses (along with learning the material well, naturally).

21 hours ago, Grumble said:

Haha I’ll do you one better or grosser: men in ballet typically wear a dance belt (like a flesh toned thong, but designed to lift important bitsout of the way and smooth them so they work well with tights) under white tights. Next to nothing is left to the imagination in those outfits.

19 hours ago, Raxie said:
21 hours ago, Grumble said:

Sigh, I miss tutus.

2 hours ago, raptron said:

I have 3 tutus. NOTHING IS STOPPING ANYONE FROM WEARING A TUTU, BALLET OR NO.

Wise tron is wise. Though tutus have zero appeal to me as something I’d wear, 100% encourage them for others. Even you, Grumble :P

• Like 2

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

Wise tron is wise. Though tutus have zero appeal to me as something I’d wear, 100% encourage them for others. Even you, Grumble :P

Grumble and Grimble in matching father-daughter tutus. 2019??

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Grumble and Grimble in matching father-daughter tutus. 2019??

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

YES. The forums have decreed it, and so it must be.

HIMYM How IMet Your Mother GIF - HIMYM HowIMetYourMother NeilPatrickHarris GIFs

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Ok!! Don’t have anything recent, but I’ll share an oooold YouTube link in a bit.

Oooh yay! :)

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Yup, collegiates are independent, usually all-am, and they’re able to make their own rules independent of USAD and NDCA. Columbia typically has theirs in early December, so it’s on my and my partner’s radar for future years.

Boo ya! Columbia is an awesome spot, too.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Haha for sure - now coach is holding both of us to a very high standard, which should be great for our progress individually and as a team! And yes, always fun to uncover new or newly utilized muscles.

Is it the same coach you had been working with with your previous partner or a new one?

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Haha I’ll do you one better or grosser: men in ballet typically wear a dance belt (like a flesh toned thong, but designed to lift important bitsout of the way and smooth them so they work well with tights) under white tights. Next to nothing is left to the imagination in those outfits.

I really do miss ballet. That's all I'm gonna say. XD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

(also awesome weekend, friend ;))

Thanks friend!! It was a great weekend, and I’ve gotta remember to be grateful for that. :)

9 hours ago, Grumble said:

HIMYM How IMet Your Mother GIF - HIMYM HowIMetYourMother NeilPatrickHarris GIFs

Best gay man playing a straight guy ever.

9 hours ago, Raxie said:

Oooh yay! :)

Note: it’s from early 2017. Basically an eternity in dancer years. And like 3 partners ago, lol.

9 hours ago, Raxie said:

Boo ya! Columbia is an awesome spot, too.

For sure - less awesome, their Latin session goes til at least midnight. Soooooo late.

9 hours ago, Raxie said:

Is it the same coach you had been working with with your previous partner or a new one?

Nah, same coach that partner and I were already working with. Makes things move and easy.

9 hours ago, Raxie said:

I really do miss ballet. That's all I'm gonna say. XD

Bahaha. My friend who’s a former ballerina / lyrical girl led with commentary on which guys needed to spend more time in the squat rack when we talked about the nutcracker after the show. I was greatly amused.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Week 2, Days 2 and 3:

Monday was alright - kinda a blur, worked out, worked, did a ton of grad school work, and got to sleep not super early. Tuesday was more of the same, but with a dance practice added. It's getting to crunch time on my project at work, and I'm gonna be a bit of a mess the rest of this week. I totally abandoned good habits yesterday night - ate a buncha candy as a way of coping with my emotions, skipped stretching and praying. But, I'm gonna hit the reset button and remember that some things are more important than an artificial deadline at a job I'm probably leaving in the next 3 months. Sorry for the pity party of one here, but things should be looking up soon.

- New home for the phone: 9/10 

- Prayer: 8.5/10

- Stretches: 9/10

Food: 9/10 - yesterday was a rough day...

• Like 3

On 12/4/2018 at 5:09 PM, raptron said:

And that's why we love you! :D 

2 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Food: 9/10 - yesterday was a rough day...

Hey it happens, you've been doing great, no need to let one day derail you. :)

Questions! Do you lead or follow or does it depend on the routine? And can you gender swap in the standard non-same sex circuit?

42 minutes ago, MikeW said:

remember that some things are more important than an artificial deadline at a job I'm probably leaving in the next 3 months. 

IMPORTANT CONTEXT!

Ofc do enough to do your job well, but in the end, it's whatever. :) 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

And that's why we love you! :D 

Seconded!

Hey it happens, you've been doing great, no need to let one day derail you. :)

:) thanks! Here's to making it just one day - already have a plan for how to stay sane and on top of things today.

Questions! Do you lead or follow or does it depend on the routine? And can you gender swap in the standard non-same sex circuit?

Generally, I lead and he follows - I'm 4" taller, so we'd be limited logistically how much we could reverse that, BUT it's considered a sign of higher skill in the same-sex circuit to have some role switching within your program, either for a whole dance or a section of a dance. SO I dunno for sure, but we'll probably have some role switching built in, which I am WAY more excited about than he is, lol.

In the normal circuit, gender swapping is generally restricted the same as same-sex couples (i.e. the two big orgs in the US explicitly don't allow it - "one male leader and one female follower" is one wording I've seen in the rules). BUT it's still allowed at collegiate comp (which sometimes are on the bleeding edge of progressive with rules like "couples can be any combination of gender identities in each role").

5 minutes ago, raptron said:

IMPORTANT CONTEXT!

Ofc do enough to do your job well, but in the end, it's whatever. :) 

Yes indeed. Like, absolute latest I'm voluntarily leaving is end of Q1. No need to stress too much about a project that has a big deadline of Feb. 1st. It's all whatever.

• Like 2

Is that you in the video??? Fantastic!!! It is gorgeous to watch, lovely movements. It occurs to me that the men wear a lot of black and the ladies catch attention with bright colours and ruffles. This seems like it should be remedied. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

I totally abandoned good habits yesterday night - ate a buncha candy as a way of coping with my emotions, skipped stretching and praying.

I'm pretty sure we all do this regularly in some form. 

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

But, I'm gonna hit the reset button

That's all that matters! Carry on!

• Like 1