• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski’s Habbit Laboratory

Ok, update from yesterday - I'm apparently a week behind in counting but w/e, we're rolling with it.

Week "2", Day 3: Work from home day thanks to on-call jury duty - got a lot done during the work day, including a final exam for a grad school course (which I got a 96% ON!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!). Taught and took a dance lesson in the evening, that got me getting home quiiiiite late, but I still did my stretching and gratitude prayer and both felt good to do. OMG y'all, the dance lesson highlighted ALL the things I've still gotta work on in my basics - it was both encouraging and demoralizing, in roughly equal measure.

- New home for the phone: 16/17 (NOTE: I'm waiting on a VERY important phone call - I hope - so the phone is more attached to me than it would otherwise be; but I'm still honoring the spirit of this new habit).

- Prayer: 13.5/17

- Stretches: 14/17

- Food: 14/17

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, MikeW said:

including a final exam for a grad school course (which I got a 96% ON!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!).

giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c1142316546665051

That's amazing, congrats!!!

15 minutes ago, MikeW said:

it was both encouraging and demoralizing, in roughly equal measure.  

Sounds like a great class then. ;) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

That's amazing, congrats!!!

Thanks! It was an unexpectedly good result, this is not a class I've felt strong in all semester (but thankfully, the final exam is the only grade that counts for my total, AND this is my last semester of doubling up on coursework - yay!).

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

Sounds like a great class then. ;) 

:)  Yes indeed! Left me feeling motivated to start working on ALL THE THINGS during the long holiday hiatus from lessons (I'm even planning to pack a pair of practice shoes for use in my parents' basement over the holidays...because I'm maybe a little bit crazy).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

Week "2", Day 3: Work from home day thanks to on-call jury duty - got a lot done during the work day, including a final exam for a grad school course (which I got a 96% ON!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!). Taught and took a dance lesson in the evening, that got me getting home quiiiiite late, but I still did my stretching and gratitude prayer and both felt good to do. OMG y'all, the dance lesson highlighted ALL the things I've still gotta work on in my basics - it was both encouraging and demoralizing, in roughly equal measure.

- New home for the phone: 16/17 (NOTE: I'm waiting on a VERY important phone call - I hope - so the phone is more attached to me than it would otherwise be; but I'm still honoring the spirit of this new habit).

- Prayer: 13.5/17

- Stretches: 14/17

- Food: 14/17

ALLLLLLL of ^^^this^^^ is awesome!!! (Yeah, even the 'need to work on basics' part, because you can never work on basics without your whole game just upping itself like magical magicness)

2 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

11 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Did you not read the sign on the door when you came in here ;) 

giphy.gif

Yeah, pretty sure we've been the cool kids all along, just took the rest of culture a little while to notice it ...

55 minutes ago, MikeW said:

...because I'm maybe a little bit crazy).

<-- question -- >

:P 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well done on the final.

Thanks! 

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Did you not read the sign on the door when you came in here ;) 

:lol:

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

ALLLLLLL of ^^^this^^^ is awesome!!! (Yeah, even the 'need to work on basics' part, because you can never work on basics without your whole game just upping itself like magical magicness)

YESSSSSS PREACH! Working on basics will be phenomenal for upping my game all around. And it's motivating to actually see myself make progress on something simple.

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

giphy.gif

Yeah, pretty sure we've been the cool kids all along, just took the rest of culture a little while to notice it ...

Certainly the fun part of the culture!! We get to be unabashedly passionate about everything we're into!

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

<-- question -- >

:P 

:P Ok, we all knew I was crazy. Just accumulating further proof, slowly.

• Like 2

Groovy. I did an intro to stats and it was great fun. Is it weird that I love distribution curves? They're such a good way of visualising the concept of distribution.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

Groovy. I did an intro to stats and it was great fun. Is it weird that I love distribution curves? They're such a good way of visualising the concept of distribution.

Here? Probably normal, cause distribution curves (especially side by side cdf's) are awesome for showing data differences / simolarities. I dunno about normal normal, but why care?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Damn, that's a productive day! Grats on your final. :)

Thanks!! I'll take that as high praise from the queen of action-packed days herself. ;)

Week "2", Day 4: Pretty mundane day, which was for the best as I was fighting a pounding headache all day. Got through a lotta work meetings and knocked out my one big thing for the day, but it all felt kinda blah (thanks, headache). Did have a great last day for the semester teaching the kiddos, got stumped by trying to help one with geometry (I *swear* something was left off the one problem we were all stumped by) and did about an hour of solo practice. It's been literally forever since I practiced on my own, and it was almost life-giving to get back into it - I didn't realize it, but I think not practicing solo (or particularly wanting to) was one of a couple symptoms of low-grade ennui / depression that's been hitting me for a while now. I didn't realize it, but work and relationship stuff had me in a baaaad funk and seeing some progress there has noticeably lightened my general mood. I dunno exactly how I can diagnose that quicker in the future, but it's something to start pondering. Then got home and did a quick stretch, 

Related ish to habit building: I'm resurrecting some sort of basic morning breathing flow (loosely inspired by Qi Gong, as suggested by @RedStone - I realized while walking around my work campus yesterday that I don't have time built into my day to just take a breath and chill, and I'm missing it - so starting to intentionally build the time back in for myself, every day. This morning, it was a moment for me to remember to focus on learning and doing cool new things during the work day, which was an exciting reframe from sometimes walking in very, very bored.

- New home for the phone: 17/18

- Prayer: 14.5/18

- Stretches: 15/18

- Food: 15/18

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, MikeW said:

but I think not practicing solo (or particularly wanting to) was one of a couple symptoms of low-grade ennui / depression that's been hitting me for a while now. I didn't realize it, but work and relationship stuff had me in a baaaad funk and seeing some progress there has noticeably lightened my general mood. I dunno exactly how I can diagnose that quicker in the future, but it's something to start pondering.

Good catch! And with time, you do - once you start picking up on these little symptoms, you start to diagnose quicker. For me it is not wanting to write or draw. Sometimes I can catch it and dip into my stash of "shake myself back to life" tactics before it gets really bad. Not always, but it's nice when it works.

• Like 1

Pre-apologies I am catching up and am about to quote 900 things.

Note: it’s from early 2017. Basically an eternity in dancer years. And like 3 partners ago, lol.

YAY DANCE VIDEOSSSSS! Rumba's definitely my least favourite dance to dance myself but I love watching people kill it - it makes me want to try to like it more.  I do love a good sliding doors though and I got extra excited when you guys did that.

BUT it's considered a sign of higher skill in the same-sex circuit to have some role switching within your program, either for a whole dance or a section of a dance

Ooooh this is so interesting and cool!! I've been taking some beginner classes as a lead lately, just to be more comprehensive with my dance knowledge and to understand where the leads coming from within the dance and such, and WOW it's such a different feeling. I thought it would be just different steps but the whole vibe is just so completely not the same. I was having trouble switching between the two between back to back classes - I can't imagine switching in the middle of a song! Especially with someone you're used to dancing with one way or the other - like I had less trouble switching when I would be leading the people I never dance with otherwise and then following the guys that I dance with regularly as a follower, but at one point I led the person teaching the class, who is also my pro-am teacher so I follow all the time, and it was WEIRD. Anyway, if you do end up working that into a dance I will basically be in awe.

It's at least tolerable on women since their WHOLE body isn't covered in the same color fabric. But just no. 

I recently saw a woman in a solid neon yellow all fringe costume, and it was pants so it was basically her whole body.  In theory in sounds awful but I swear it actually looked good???

Good thing it slipped by you and [mention=22201]Raxie[/mention] - plus any stealth rangers lurking in the thread. 

Wow I really wouldn't have let that go if I had been around this week.  I actually had it quoted to reply to in my catching up and then saw it was already correctly addressed haha

omg i didn't know ham was an acronym in the "going ham" use.

OH. MY. GLOB. ME NEITHER!!!! I say "going ham" in this way like... all the freakin' time and I never realized it was an acronym???? I thought it was one of those weird idioms that no one is sure where it comes from but everyone uses and it was referring to the food ham.  WOW.

it has to be something other than "are things working out with person X?" where an answer of no is a negative reflection on my self-worth, and instead something where I attach to showing up as the full version of myself, being genuinely curious about the other person, and healthily expressing what I'm interested in from a relationship.

Quoted for truth.

(which I got a 96% ON!!!!!! HOLY CRAP!!)

Congrats!!!!

I dunno exactly how I can diagnose that quicker in the future, but it's something to start pondering.

You mentioned journaling in an earlier post - I feel like you could definitely utilize that somehow with this.

Sorry you're having a down time in general lately - I'm sure the winter dark isn't helping either.  I'm glad you're aware of where it's coming from and trying to make steps to address it though!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MikeW said:

I didn't realize it, but I think not practicing solo (or particularly wanting to) was one of a couple symptoms of low-grade ennui / depression that's been hitting me for a while now. I didn't realize it, but work and relationship stuff had me in a baaaad funk and seeing some progress there has noticeably lightened my general mood. I dunno exactly how I can diagnose that quicker in the future, but it's something to start pondering. 

We need a funk barometer that hoots like an owl when it gets too low. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gemma said:

Good catch! And with time, you do - once you start picking up on these little symptoms, you start to diagnose quicker. For me it is not wanting to write or draw. Sometimes I can catch it and dip into my stash of "shake myself back to life" tactics before it gets really bad. Not always, but it's nice when it works.

This is super comforting to hear - gives me confidence that over time I will build the skill to detect these things coming!

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

Pre-apologies I am catching up and am about to quote 900 things. emoji3.png

No pre-apologies necessary - quote away!

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

YAY DANCE VIDEOSSSSS! Rumba's definitely my least favourite dance to dance myself but I love watching people kill it - it makes me want to try to like it more.  I do love a good sliding doors though and I got extra excited when you guys did that. emoji3.png

:D thank you!!! I'm proud of that sliding door section, even though I've worked on my dance quality A TON since then.

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

Ooooh this is so interesting and cool!! I've been taking some beginner classes as a lead lately, just to be more comprehensive with my dance knowledge and to understand where the leads coming from within the dance and such, and WOW it's such a different feeling. I thought it would be just different steps but the whole vibe is just so completely not the same. I was having trouble switching between the two between back to back classes - I can't imagine switching in the middle of a song! Especially with someone you're used to dancing with one way or the other - like I had less trouble switching when I would be leading the people I never dance with otherwise and then following the guys that I dance with regularly as a follower, but at one point I led the person teaching the class, who is also my pro-am teacher so I follow all the time, and it was WEIRD. Anyway, if you do end up working that into a dance I will basically be in awe.

THANK YOU!! I am super excited as well, though following DOES NOT come naturally to me lol (type A and likes to be in control...can't imagine why following doesn't work well :lol: )

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

I recently saw a woman in a solid neon yellow all fringe costume, and it was pants so it was basically her whole body.  In theory in sounds awful but I swear it actually looked good???

I believe you! Fringe suits also have more movement than just neon suit on a guy - I'll probably be going with belted tunics to ensure I have something 1) highlighting my natural waist and 2) showing some movement on the floor

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

Wow I really wouldn't have let that go if I had been around this week.  I actually had it quoted to reply to in my catching up and then saw it was already correctly addressed haha

Haha for sure. I'm a self-massage fanatic these days <_< >_>

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

OH. MY. GLOB. ME NEITHER!!!! I say "going ham" in this way like... all the freakin' time and I never realized it was an acronym???? I thought it was one of those weird idioms that no one is sure where it comes from but everyone uses and it was referring to the food ham.  WOW.

I dunno where I learned it, maybe I urban dictionaried at some point? Probably after being tempted to say it around my dance kids and being unsure if it was actually profane lol.

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

Quoted for truth.

Thank you thank you. Like I mentioned, took a winding road to get there. But I'm glad I did.

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

Congrats!!!!

Thanks! Almost doesn't feel real!

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

You mentioned journaling in an earlier post - I feel like you could definitely utilize that somehow with this.

Oh yes - it's not a consistent habit yet, but I'd like to get back there. Especially because writing longhand is super meditative for me.

2 hours ago, Raxie said:

Sorry you're having a down time in general lately - I'm sure the winter dark isn't helping either.  I'm glad you're aware of where it's coming from and trying to make steps to address it though!

Winter dark is definitely not helping - especially lots of clouds in dallas lately. But I'm pulling through and coming out of a sinus infection, which definitely helps me feel less sads.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

We need a funk barometer that hoots like an owl when it gets too low. 

AGREED!! I'm picturing some fun Harry Potter-esque stuff here and it's magical (no pun intended).

ALSO, BIG UPDATE: I got the verbal job offer for the position I was interviewing for today! Assuming I complete a background check and all the necessary other checks, I'll be starting the new role at a higher salary with a better work culture in early January.

• Like 5

12 hours ago, MikeW said:

ALSO, BIG UPDATE: I got the verbal job offer for the position I was interviewing for today! Assuming I complete a background check and all the necessary other checks, I'll be starting the new role at a higher salary with a better work culture in early January.

7lNj.gif

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Congrats on the new job prospect!

2 hours ago, Gemma said:

7lNj.gif

2 hours ago, Katerina said:

Big, fat congratulations! That's awesome :)

Thanks y'all!!!! It's gonna be a whirlwind, but I'm super pumped to take it on!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, MikeW said:

This is great news! Congratulations!

• Thanks 1