Take 2 for Roo

msuroo

Your progress has been extremely motivational. Don't sweat the lifts. It's still a huge increase and totally badass.

Your IF/LG progress is also awesome. Great job overall with the challenge sir.

Facebook | Twitter | Blog |

"What we face may look insurmountable. But I learned something from all those years of training and competing. I learned something from all those sets and reps when I didn't think I could lift another ounce of weight. What I learned is that we are always stronger than we know." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

Toby: It's going to be hard.
Josh: Then we'll do what's hard.
- The West Wing

"A good lawyer sees trouble coming from around the corner."
-Professor Tom Ross

Wow, you did awesome msroo. A few points:

1. Awesome deadlift PR

2. Great job on the half!

3. Amazing effort on your part doing IF...I can definitely see a difference.

4. You crushed your life goals...more awesomeness from you!

5. You and your wife are absolutely adorable! :D

The old believe everything; the middle aged suspect everything: the young know everything.

~Oscar Wilde

First of all, sub-2 hours for the win! Great run dude! Also, loving the detailed summary with pictures - I'm truly jealous of all of your pictures!

Dear sweet, bloody @#$&, ain't this true. This has been an increasing concern for me the longer I stick with the diet. I mean, I've already lost 5" around the waist and I would estimate that there's at least another 2-3" to lose before I would qualify as anything even close to shredded. I kind of feel as though I'm going to end up looking like Christian Bale in the machinist (whereas I'd prefer to look like American Psycho Christian Bale instead)... Yet whenever I eat over maintenance, I get fat well before building any muscle. It's frustrating. Based on your pictures, I think we're at a pretty similar place physique-wise (bf% especially), so definitely keep me posted on how things go for you.

Awesome job msuroo! Very inspiring challenge (and victories!).

I will take the opportunity to utilize the elusive "double quote" and concur with Scotticus concurring with you :-)

I feel I'm in the same boat, lost 40+ lbs and made a switch about 8 weeks ago from fat loss to "try" to build some muscle. Eating a bit differently (more chicken, protein shake after workout, more calories overall) etc but try as I might, doing CF 4 times per week (was 3), I don't feel like I've put on any muscle mass. In CF I've been focusing more on the heavy Olympic lift WODS rather than a hard cardio WOD. I still lose about a lb per week (I'm now 179) but its so hard to see if I'm losing fat and building any muscle or just losing fat. T-Shirts that started to nicely be snug in the arms seem less so now - booo!

I question what I'm doing wrong but its "nice" (in a bad way) to see I'm not the only one with the problem.

If you guys figure out the magic kool-aid please let us know.

[table=width: 650, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nowhereman

Human Ranger and all around nerdy dude

STR: 5 | DEX: 2 | STA: 5.5 | CON: 2.25 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 2.5

Current Challenge / Epic Quest

You never hear a person on their deathbed saying "I wish I had been more practical."

[/table]

Thanks for the kind comments everyone - I really do appreciate the support!

I question what I'm doing wrong...If you guys figure out the magic kool-aid please let us know.

As far as I understand it, the magic kool-aid is really pretty simple - eat more. You can't really build muscle mass without a calorie surplus. I was hoping that through LeanGains, I could cycle the calorie surplus on workout days with the deficit on rest days to both gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously, but I've discovered that's harder than it sounds (at least for me), since it's easier to lose fat than build muscle. I suppose this is why the traditional bodybuilding plans are for longer-term cycles of cutting and bulking. I've decided I'm just going to stick with this plan (since it seems to be working, and I'm at least dropping fat whilst maintaining what muscle I do have) until I hopefully get under 10% BF, then start to add in some calories (and I think it is going to take a lot of calories). I'll be smaller than I care to be at that point, but it's all part of the process I guess.

I was hoping the same thing as well (build muscle and lose fat) by taking a lot more protein - but alas it doesn't look like we can have our cake (protein cake?) and eat it too.

[table=width: 650, align: left]

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nowhereman

Human Ranger and all around nerdy dude

STR: 5 | DEX: 2 | STA: 5.5 | CON: 2.25 | WIS: 6 | CHA: 2.5

Current Challenge / Epic Quest

You never hear a person on their deathbed saying "I wish I had been more practical."

[/table]

Since we don't have new threads yet, I'm just going to babble here for a bit. :)

I'm finally settling back into my workout routine after the race. I met with an oly lifting coach Monday, but otherwise took the day (and Tuesday) off completely from working out. The consultation went really well. I was a little surprised when I first got there, because it wasn't a real gym or anything - more like a really big storage locker in the middle of an industrial park:

MobileFitness.jpg

Also had kinda of a woot moment right off the bat when the guy said "well, you look really fit". We talked a bit about my workout history and then he me moved me around a bit to get a sense of my ability/mobility level. Nothing really heavy - just the bar for some squat variations, the bar +10 lbs for pulling some power cleans from the floor. One thing that jdanger has said a few times around here is that to get good at oly lifting, you need to forget everything you learned from Rip, and boy did that ever ring true. I really enjoyed the experience though. Private coaching is a little out of my price range, but the guy is looking at putting together a group session that I'm hoping I can get to once a week. If nothing else though, he gave me some stuff to take back and work at on my own.

Wednesday was my first day back in my gym. Nolan was up all night the night before, so I was dead tired, but I went anyway. Since I was so tired, and I hadn't been in a week, the workout wasn't great. I backed the weight off a good bit intentionally - just wanted to ease back into it, but it was still tough. Yesterday (Thursday) was a C25K run with my wife, the baby, and the pup. It was nice not to have to get any real miles in - just getting out there to support Kate. Had an awesome gym session this morning, it felt great to get back in the groove. I switched up from a low bar to a high bar squat, and actually really liked it. Tried to keep the coaching points in mind from Monday, and it almost felt easier with weight on the bar to get the form right (or at least, what I think is right). Also worked on power cleans - backed the weight down from 135 to 95 just to practice form, but it went really well. The coach said I've got the requisite range of motion that I should really be dumping power cleans in favor of squat cleans, but I wasn't quite ready to attempt that on my own yet. I think I can handle doing front squats by myself at least, so I'll start working on those next week. One thing I did decide - it's time to buy some oly shoes.

That basically gets me all caught up. Just one more quick tidbit to share - Nolan (11 mos old) painted this at day care for me for Father's Day. It's one of those things that I just don't think it's possible to understand until you have kids. I mean, I know it's just a mess on a canvas, but Nolan did it - and I love it. :)

Painting.jpg

So happy Father's Day to all the dads out there! Have a great weekend all!

That's awesome that your little one did that. Our little guy did some finger painting one his first birthday; its just a mess, but also a treasure. Happy fathers day.

Interesting that you've decided to ditch the leangains eventually. Basically when weighing the pros and cons I came to the conclusion that while it was useful to incorporate some of the ideas, it is a hideously inefficient process, anyone seeing great progress was almost surely missing high/low on their calorie marks and really only seeing great progress on one of the aspects. Sure if you can gain a little extra muscle when cutting thats great, but at the same time there is something to be said for reaching your BF% goal in 2 months with no muscle gain vs. reaching it in 10 months with 2 lbs muscle gain.

I've always somewhat natually followed some of the ideas, when I was losing most of my calories were in a very small window at night after working out. But I do think I have lean gains going on right now. I think it is possible to gain muscle with virtually no fat at the upper end of your maintenence band if you time your nutrition right. By tape measure meausrements I've gained no fat in the last 2 weeks. And according to my various BMR calcs I'm at maintenence right on the nose. But I've also gained at least a pound in the last 2 weeks, if not a little more. It appears to be perfectly lean bulking. I'm going to work with this theory a bit, and increase my calories a hair more, so that I'm over my c+f maintnence amount by 100 calories or so (daily goal of 3200 net), and hold it there for a month or so, to see what I can find.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

Totally hear you on the being smaller than you want to be at the end of things - I'm just waiting to see how small small really is, and go from there.

Also happy father's day to both you and waldo. Just wait until your kids are a little older and starts to bring home some really "interesting" art. We just just got a collection that was done over the past few months. One of the pieces is, no joke, a murdered snowman. I'll have to scan it and post it here for your hilarity. Think snowman cutout + red paint. At least it began innocently...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines