• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Gemma

Gemma pares it down. Waaaaayyyyy down.

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Grumble said:

Stitch Funny GIF - Stitch Funny Handstand GIFs#Thehunger GIF - Hungry Puppy Dogs GIFsHand Stand Balance GIF - HandStand Balance FunnyAnimals GIFsHand Stand Puppy GIF - HandStand Puppy Dog GIFs
 

 

 

I sorta feel like now you're just showing off ...

On the other hand some of these are pretty awesome, so there may be some justification for a little bit of "hey, check my gif game" pridefulness here. Respect.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Gemma said:

 

 

I sorta feel like now you're just showing off ...

On the other hand some of these are pretty awesome, so there may be some justification for a little bit of "hey, check my gif game" pridefulness here. Respect.

I gotta hand it you, sometimes I can't even stand myself when I go overboard. It's definitely a balancing act.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today's workout

 

Goblet Squat:

35# x6

30# x10

25# x15

 

Dumbbell Bench Press:

25# x6

20# x10

15# x15

 

One-arm DB Row:

30# x6

25# x10

20# x15

 

KB Swings - 25#, 10 sec work/20 sec rest x 8 rounds

 

 

I have a huge box of stuff packed up to send to the consignment shop, and another box for the thrift store. I keep falling down internet rabbit holes in websites like "Becoming Minimalist" and "Be More With Less/Project 333" and it's starting to sink in, I'm gradually becoming more aware of just how much CRAP I own that I don't need, nor use, nor especially care about.

 

labyrinth1986.0400.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I have a huge box of stuff packed up to send to the consignment shop, and another box for the thrift store. I keep falling down internet rabbit holes in websites like "Becoming Minimalist" and "Be More With Less/Project 333" and it's starting to sink in, I'm gradually becoming more aware of just how much CRAP I own that I don't need, nor use, nor especially care about.

I am slowly waiting for Mrs G to make up her mind on the kid front so we can get rid of all this baby stuff decide what were going to do with grimbles stuff. I may already have strong opinions on that.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Gemma said:

Today's workout

 

Goblet Squat:

35# x6

30# x10

25# x15

 

Dumbbell Bench Press:

25# x6

20# x10

15# x15

 

One-arm DB Row:

30# x6

25# x10

20# x15

 

KB Swings - 25#, 10 sec work/20 sec rest x 8 rounds

It's fun seeing your workouts slowly get longer this challenge - how're you feeling about your time in the gym now?

 

18 hours ago, Gemma said:

I have a huge box of stuff packed up to send to the consignment shop, and another box for the thrift store. I keep falling down internet rabbit holes in websites like "Becoming Minimalist" and "Be More With Less/Project 333" and it's starting to sink in, I'm gradually becoming more aware of just how much CRAP I own that I don't need, nor use, nor especially care about.

 

labyrinth1986.0400.jpg

Woo! One step at a time, but sounds like you're making progress in a direction you're liking!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Gemma said:

 

I have a huge box of stuff packed up to send to the consignment shop, and another box for the thrift store. I keep falling down internet rabbit holes in websites like "Becoming Minimalist" and "Be More With Less/Project 333" and it's starting to sink in, I'm gradually becoming more aware of just how much CRAP I own that I don't need, nor use, nor especially care about.

 

labyrinth1986.0400.jpg

 

I, too, have read the minimalism websites and though "hmm, i should do that". But partly because the lovely fashionable ladies look so elegant in their minimalist chic outfits. 

 

I love this picture. What is it from? 

Also, can I ask about goblet squats? I tried to do some with heavy dumbbells (like 50lb or something), and my bony sparrow hands/forearms can't hack it. Also, I can't stop the end of the dumbbell pressing very uncomfortably into my stomach unless I lean forward unnaturally. What is the secret? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Also, can I ask about goblet squats? I tried to do some with heavy dumbbells (like 50lb or something), and my bony sparrow hands/forearms can't hack it. Also, I can't stop the end of the dumbbell pressing very uncomfortably into my stomach unless I lean forward unnaturally. What is the secret? 

 

(sonufa... I had this all typed out and accidentally refreshed the page.)

 

Can't hack it how? Can you lift the weight up to position initially? If no, then drop weight, if yes, then you can hack it. Highlights for good goblet squatting

Keep the weight close to your chest. With this being a primarily lower body exercise, there's no need to add a shoulder lift into it too.

Keep your elbows under your hands. This will let you keep that dumbbell straight up and down and maintain that good balance.

Don't worry about your body going from | to /. So long as you maintain a straight back and don't turn it into a squat morning, you should be good to go.

Personally, I like to go deep on goblet squats and let my elbows touch my quads/knees. It lets me know I'm both getting deep enough AND making sure my arms or weight aren't moving out of alignment.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Harriet said:

 

Ummm. Maybe not?

You need to stop whatever you're doing and go watch it. It's classic 80's movies with some of (IMO) Jim Henson's best muppet work.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MikeW said:

It's fun seeing your workouts slowly get longer this challenge - how're you feeling about your time in the gym now?

 

Woo! One step at a time, but sounds like you're making progress in a direction you're liking!


I'm actually still in and out in about 35 minutes, I've had early certifications every day this week. Because it is relatively low weight/high rep, I don't take much rest time between sets, and the push and pull movement in every workout are designed to be super-setted.

And yes, this de-junkifying process is moving along nicely - I just have to keep reminding myself that like fitness, this is a marathon not a sprint. It took me decades to accumulate this houseful of nonsense, I can't expect to be rid of it in a few weeks. But one box at a time, I'm feeling better about it.

 

Clearing space has really surprising mental health benefits that I had read about but did not really believe in until I began to actually experience them.
 

12 minutes ago, Harriet said:

 

I, too, have read the minimalism websites and though "hmm, i should do that". But partly because the lovely fashionable ladies look so elegant in their minimalist chic outfits. 

 

I love this picture. What is it from? 

Also, can I ask about goblet squats? I tried to do some with heavy dumbbells (like 50lb or something), and my bony sparrow hands/forearms can't hack it. Also, I can't stop the end of the dumbbell pressing very uncomfortably into my stomach unless I lean forward unnaturally. What is the secret? 


Those chic capsule wardrobe outfits were a big ol' factor in my motivation too.

Re: goblet squats - I struggle with them with dumbbells, too, for the same reasons as you mentioned. I do them with kettlebells. It puts my wrists in a better position and does not impact my stomach at all. (the woman in this illustration is leaning forward a fair bit, but I do that too even in a low bar back squat, just because my biomechanics require that of me).

th?id=OIP.G0mgOF4eBM23LZGl9ipiHAHaGn&pid

 

6 minutes ago, Grumble said:
You've never seen Labrynth? WIth David Bowie's epic crotch?
David Bowie GIF - David Bowie Labyrinth GIFs
 
 




Grumble speaks truth, this is from Jim Henson's wonderful fairytale "Labyrinth." Which, codpiece notwithstanding, is on my list of all-time favorite movies. So much so that I actually named one of my sons Jareth. Yes folks, I raised the Goblin King. #accomplishment

And let us not bash the codpiece, a garment with a long and illustrious history and grand tradition.

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Harriet said:


Also, can I ask about goblet squats? I tried to do some with heavy dumbbells (like 50lb or something), and my bony sparrow hands/forearms can't hack it. Also, I can't stop the end of the dumbbell pressing very uncomfortably into my stomach unless I lean forward unnaturally. What is the secret? 

 

I just went to look up pictures of the DB goblet squat, and realized that my problems are at least in part because I have always seen directions to hold the DB like this:

 

goblet-squat-1.jpg

 

which does hurt my wrists and press into my stomach.

 

But then I found this picture, which seems like maybe I could deal with ... might try it, if I ever have to do them in a non-KB environment:

 

Circuit-One-Goblet-Squat.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Gemma said:


Re: goblet squats - I struggle with them with dumbbells, too, for the same reasons as you mentioned. I do them with kettlebells. It puts my wrists in a better position and does not impact my stomach at all. (the woman in this illustration is leaning forward a fair bit, but I do that too even in a low bar back squat, just because my biomechanics require that of me).

th?id=OIP.G0mgOF4eBM23LZGl9ipiHAHaGn&pid

I personally prefer KB goblets, but not everyone has access to them, so I try to work within limitations until told otherwise.

 

16 minutes ago, Gemma said:

But then I found this picture, which seems like maybe I could deal with ... might try it, if I ever have to do them in a non-KB environment:

 

Circuit-One-Goblet-Squat.jpg

I hate this picture. Everything about it. Tiny ass useless weight, far away from her center of gravity, elbows RESTING on the knees, not going to parallel, wide stance for no reason. This whole thing annoys me. (I try to be positive, but this is not how I would, EVER, recommend someone perform a goblet squat.)

I just came across this video talking about the goblet squat/sumo squat that might prove surprisingly beneficial. Might be something to incorporate instead of your current goblet squat.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gemma said:

I'm actually still in and out in about 35 minutes, I've had early certifications every day this week. Because it is relatively low weight/high rep, I don't take much rest time between sets, and the push and pull movement in every workout are designed to be super-setted.

Ah, that's even more awesome then!! And gives me hope that I'll be able to fit in quick workouts as I start shifting to morning workouts for everything with the shift to the new job!

 

5 hours ago, Gemma said:

And yes, this de-junkifying process is moving along nicely - I just have to keep reminding myself that like fitness, this is a marathon not a sprint. It took me decades to accumulate this houseful of nonsense, I can't expect to be rid of it in a few weeks. But one box at a time, I'm feeling better about it.

Woohoo!

 

5 hours ago, Gemma said:

Clearing space has really surprising mental health benefits that I had read about but did not really believe in until I began to actually experience them.

This. Is. Awesome!! Glad to hear that freeing yourself of stuff feels like you're freeing your mind a bit too - I know it's been having that effect for me as I slowly minimalize and tweak my home setup.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gemma said:

 

I just went to look up pictures of the DB goblet squat, and realized that my problems are at least in part because I have always seen directions to hold the DB like this:

 

goblet-squat-1.jpg

 

which does hurt my wrists and press into my stomach.

 

But then I found this picture, which seems like maybe I could deal with ... might try it, if I ever have to do them in a non-KB environment:

 

Circuit-One-Goblet-Squat.jpg

 

I have all my guys do "goblet" squats by holding a medicine ball.... people with stronger wrists can support underneath the ball, while people that struggle can just hug the ball tight... it all really does the same thing really....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was doing it like the above picture (db vertical). There's no way I could grip a 50 or 60 pound weight like the second picture (db horizontal). That would be a serious hazard to the feet. Unfortunately the kettlebells don't go above 50, I think. 

Ugh, I tried front squats instead, hoping they'd be more comfortable, but fork. I felt like I was made of bones and there was nothing to put the bar on. Also, it bent my hands back painfully and they felt like creaky old bone traps. I just want some variations of the squats that will help my weak points. Maybe single leg squats with lower weights. 

 

And I'm going to find and watch labyrinth. I need to see the famed codpiece. And this delightful hairstyle. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Harriet said:

I was doing it like the above picture (db vertical). There's no way I could grip a 50 or 60 pound weight like the second picture (db horizontal). That would be a serious hazard to the feet. Unfortunately the kettlebells don't go above 50, I think. 

Sometimes you just need to play around with how to hold the weight so it works for your body mechanics.

 

3 minutes ago, Harriet said:


Ugh, I tried front squats instead, hoping they'd be more comfortable, but fork. I felt like I was made of bones and there was nothing to put the bar on. Also, it bent my hands back painfully and they felt like creaky old bone traps. I just want some variations of the squats that will help my weak points. Maybe single leg squats with lower weights. 

Front squats are IMO, one of the hardest things to get. There's so many more prep mechanics that go into a front squat. It took a solid year of practicing front squats every week before I was able to properly front rack them without having to do crossed arms or zombie arms (both of which left my collarbone sore. 

 

To quote a T-Nation article "the best way to get better at front squatting is to front squat. However, that's certainly not to say other exercises won't help.

Single-leg work can help tremendously by strengthening the quads, glutes, and hip rotators, thereby improving stability and preventing valgus collapse, as well as evening out any imbalances between legs. For even greater carryover, try doing exercises like rear-foot elevated split squats and lunges with a front squat grip to increase core strength and practice holding the bar.

For some, the ability to hold the bar will often be the biggest limiting factor, not the legs. If this is you, then you'd better spend time working on your lats (think pull-ups, chin-ups, lat pulldowns, etc.), upper back (think rows, face pulls, etc.) and core stability (rollouts, Paloff presses, etc.) or all the leg work in the world will be for naught.

You may also want to incorporate some front squat iso holds where you walk out a heavy weight and hold it for a prescribed time, say 20 seconds. This will smoke your upper back and anterior core in a manner specific to the front squat and help you get acclimated to heavy loads, so you won't feel intimidated by the weight. I call this the "oh shit!" factor. If you've ever lifted heavy then you know exactly what I mean."

 

3 minutes ago, Harriet said:

And I'm going to find and watch labyrinth. I need to see the famed codpiece. And this delightful hairstyle. 

This is very important. You should theme your next challenge around it. :D

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

3 hours ago, Harriet said:

And I'm going to find and watch labyrinth. I need to see the famed codpiece. And this delightful hairstyle. 


Yes please do.
 

3 hours ago, Grumble said:

This is very important. You should theme your next challenge around it. :D

 


QFT

 

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 2:22 PM, JustCallMeAmber said:

As somebody once said, doing something when you have the choice to do nothing is everything.


I did not expect this to come back around again in the same challenge, but today was another one of *those* days.

 

I had a super-stressful day at work yesterday and it impacted my sleep last night. I felt like doo-doo this morning. But I went to the gym anyway, because I had already laid out my gym clothes and packed my business casual into a bag, so it was really just easier.

 

Once I got there, I didn't have the oomph to do the thing (my programmed workout) so I let myself off the hook and did a thing. 100 kb swings, 2 sets of 20, call it macaroni, and out. I ain't even mad.

 

In fact, it got me into a mental place where when I got to work I could

 

a) have the difficult conversations that I needed to have after yesterday, and

b) do the research to prove that a particular person lied to me, straight to my face, in front of witnesses, and provide that information to his supervisor for action

 

If I'd stayed in my early-morning bleh, I would have been tempted to avoid confrontation and hope that the problematic person/situation would just magically improve if I kept out of it. Today went significantly better because I made myself do what I knew was right once, and that made it easier to do it again.

 

Also, my hands almost froze to the kettlebell, so maybe my brain was frozen too and it shut down my "I don't like confrontation" circuit? Whatever, I'll take it. I am happier now, whatever the reason.


I am not as happy about the cold as Red Panda is, though.
 

giphy.gif

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Gemma said:

fact, it got me into a mental place where when I got to work I could

 

a) have the difficult conversations that I needed to have after yesterday, and

b) do the research to prove that a particular person lied to me, straight to my face, in front of witnesses, and provide that information to his supervisor for action

Go get 'em, Gemma! Take no crap! :)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Gemma said:

In fact, it got me into a mental place where when I got to work I could

 

a) have the difficult conversations that I needed to have after yesterday, and

b) do the research to prove that a particular person lied to me, straight to my face, in front of witnesses, and provide that information to his supervisor for action

 

If I'd stayed in my early-morning bleh, I would have been tempted to avoid confrontation and hope that the problematic person/situation would just magically improve if I kept out of it. Today went significantly better because I made myself do what I knew was right once, and that made it easier to do it again.

THIS IS SUCH A WIN!!!!!! Seriously, jumping up and down squeeing in excitement for you!

 

21 minutes ago, Gemma said:

I am not as happy about the cold as Red Panda is, though.
 

giphy.gif

BADKSFHJWEIFQHKLFQWEK:R I think I just died from cuteness. And it was a glorious death.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:15 PM, Katerina said:

Go get 'em, Gemma! Take no crap! :)

 

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:30 PM, Harriet said:

Awesome toughness! Maybe violently swinging around heavy pieces of metal cues you to be mighty? 


Thanks, y'all!  My week definitely got measurably better from there, and I do chalk that up to me addressing the problem instead of <shuts mouth, seethes internally> my usual. Silent resentment sucks.

 

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, MikeW said:

THIS IS SUCH A WIN!!!!!! Seriously, jumping up and down squeeing in excitement for you!

 

I clearly imagined you doing this (in your dance costume from your rumba video, since that's my visual image of you now) and it made me smile extra big. Thank you for that :D 

 

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 4:31 PM, MikeW said:

BADKSFHJWEIFQHKLFQWEK:R I think I just died from cuteness. And it was a glorious death.


Right? Animals that look like stuffed animals + animals that derive great joy from life and aren't afraid to show it = Too Much Cute!

 

 

Today -

 

Split Squats:

Bodyweight, 3x6

 

KB strict press:

25#x6, 20#x9, 15#x15

 

Inverted row 3x10

 

KB swings - 20 sec work, 40 sec rest, 6 rounds

 

 

cutest-baby-animals-gifs-otter.gif

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Challenge wrap-up:

 

I got back into a regular gym habit and got rid of a bunch of stuff that was cluttering my life, so I'm calling it a win. Leaving tomorrow for family chaos (my mom + 2 sons + 1 DIL + 2 grandmonkeys + me and hubs all in one house, what could go wrong :) ), and when I get back there will be more decluttering and writing in the downtime. That's the plan, anyways. I'm also playing along in the holiday mini-challenge, just to try and not fall completely off the rails. 

One final outburst of baby animal for my wonderful co-nerd friends: 

 

2ee.gif

 

animal-gifs-089-009.gif

 

fghj.gif

 

giphy-gif-11.gif

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These are the cutest. I love the cat and the deer. Good work on reestablishing the gym habit, that's an awesome win. And your decluttering journey is inspiring us all. 

 

47 minutes ago, Gemma said:

when I get back there will be more decluttering and writing in the downtime.

 

Huh, I forgot for a while that there would be nerd lift after Christmas. The challenges will continue, yay! 

Merry Christmas! Or Happy Brian-day! Or Glorious Yet Brutal Winter Solstice Sacrificial Ritual! Whatever suits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now