• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WolfDreamer

Wolfen Goes Back to the Source

Update (Monday):

• 0430 wakeup
  • said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer
  • four sets of 10 pushups (3 seconds down, hold, snap up)
  • listened to today's prayer from the PayG app; today's prayer was from Isaiah 35:1-7a. It is a message of hope, of restoration. My favorite thing about this passage are the verses about dry lands, wastelands, being renewed, and about the Lord displaying His glory.
  • Today's song was "In the Bleak Midwinter" by One Hope Project. "What can I give Him, poor as I am? If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb. If I were a wise man, I would do my part. Yet what I can I give Him... give Him my heart."
  • took a cold shower (2 mins warm, 4 mins cold).
  • took the dogs outside while not wearing a shirt or shoes
  • helped my wife get our daughters ready for school; plenty of hugs and kisses before I left for work
  • finished listening to So You Don't Want to go to Church Anymore by Dave Coleman
  • started another novel: Wind River by Tom Morrisey (not to be confused with the movie of the same title, which is amazing, btw).
  • ran 2.6 miles through part of the neighborhood where I grew up (and where I will soon be living): 25 minute run with 10 second sprints every five minutes

Off topic: I have an idea for what I want for my next challenge, but I need help deciding between two options. I perused Darebee's site and their programs. I really dig the Hero's Journey as well as Age of Pandora. Hero's Journey is basic fitness, and Age of Pandora is more combat based. I love them both, and they both meet some of my desired long-term fitness goals.

Help me decide.

• Like 1

Squeezed in a quick workout before picking Princess Gracelynn up from Girl Scouts:

Three sets of the following:

• 5 push-ups
  • 20 punches (20 for each arm)
  • 5 wide-grip push-ups
  • 5 close-grip push-ups

So in total including my morning push-ups, I completed 115 bodyweight movements.

And I think I made a decision for my next few challenges, and it will take four months to complete it all, but it will be worth it. I'm going to start with Hero's Journey and then move on to Age of Pandora. Here's Why: Hero's Journey is a role-play program meant to simulate the hero's journey from minion to master. And then Age of Pandora is a full-on immersive fitness quest in which the main hero is caught up in a post-apocalyptic world. So it makes sense to progress from minion to hero and then to put those hero skills to action in a real immersive adventure.

I'm looking forward to it. Of course I'll continue my prayer habits as I have no plan to stop listening to the PayG prayer of the day.

• Like 2

Update:

• alarm went off at 0430, said the Lord's Prayer as well as a more personal prayer and then reset my alarm for 0530 because I was up late
  • listened to the PaYG daily prayer, which was form Isaiah 40:1-9. This is the passage that prophecies the coming of John the Baptist, as well as the Messiah; more personally, there is a command in this passage that says, "“Clear the way through the wilderness for the Lord! Make a straight highway through the wasteland for our God! Fill in the valleys, and level the mountains and hills. Straighten the curves, and smooth out the rough places. Then the glory of the Lord will be revealed, and all people will see it together. The Lord has spoken!” Other versions say "Prepare a way..." Today's prayer asked what might be asked of me, what role I might play in preparing the way for the Lord in these days. The passage also promises that sin is atoned for and the debt is paid. I think about all the areas of my life that bring me guilt, sins I have hidden or been ashamed of, but I remember now that Christ has atoned for these sins; I do not need to be ashamed of them because I am set free from them. This passage also includes the verse that says, "The grass withers and the flowers fade, but the word of our God stands forever.” (8).

giphy.gif

• The song for today's prayer was "Comfort Ye My People" from Handel's "Messiah," sung by Maldwyn Davies.
  • took a cold shower (2 mins warm, 4 mins cold)
  • took the dogs outside while I was barefoot and shirtless
  • completed the Daily Dare on Darebee (with extra credit), which was to complete 20 up and down planks in one go.

plank-walk-up.jpg

• planning to start the Darebee Fit Christmas 12-day program today to keep me motivated for daily bodyweight workouts until the end of the challenge
  • reading more of Wind River; I am on the sixth chapter. Because fly fishing is important to the plot, part of the book is making me want to watch "A River Runs Through It" again.

baQADJ.gif

• All graduate class assignments have been completed and submitted. One of my professors sent back some suggestions for updating and revising my Weebly. It is a series of lessons about William Shakespeare; you're welcome to check it out (I especially recommend playing around with the Flash game about the Globe Theater).
  • joined Darebee's Hive and posted a preview of my goals for next challenge; I broke it into Short-Term Goals and Long-Term Goals.
  • Like 2

Another Update:

• completed Day 1 of the Darebee Fit Christmas: 3 sets of the following -- 20 jumping jacks, 10 knee-to-elbows, 20 high knees, 10 climbers
  • total daily bodyweight movements: 200
  • completed day two of Roadwork, a Darebee running program: 25 min run steady pace + strength workout. Totals: 2.5 miles, 9:58/mile average pace
  • worked with my mentor picking up discarded pieces of roof shingles; squatting to pick up mall pieces proved more difficult because of my workout and run 
  • early bedtime tonight; my wife's thyroidectomy surgery is early tomorrow morning
  • Like 1

Update:

• 0300 wakeup
  • said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer for my wife's surgery to go well (it did, btw).
  • listened to the PaYG daily prayer; today's prayer was from Isaiah 40:25-31. This is the passage that contains some of my favorite verses:

The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of all the earth.
He never grows weak or weary.
    No one can measure the depths of his understanding.
He gives power to the weak
    and strength to the powerless.
Even youths will become weak and tired,
    and young men will fall in exhaustion.
But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
    They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
    They will walk and not faint. (28b-31, NLT)

• The prayer asks how I feel in moments of tiredness, even now, after reading this promise of renewed strength and life. How much do I trust in this promise? Can I feel the energy in these words, the strengthening, renewing power of the words themselves?
  • Today's song was based on the words of the prophet Zephanaiah, sung by the monks of Ker Moussa. The words translate to "God will dance for you with songs of joy… God rejoices in you; he will renew you in his love.  He will dance for you with songs of joy." As I listened, I reflected on God's presence in my life and how he rejoices and delights in me, how He is looking upon me with love right now.
  • no WHM breathing, no cold shower, just too much to do to get my wife ready to go to the hospital
  • After she was taken back, I spent most of the time either sitting in the waiting room reading Wind River or walking around the main parts of the hospital. I get really restless in hospitals.
  • believe it or not, I ate pretty well today: breakfast was scrambled eggs with mixed sautéed veggies and potatoes with a side of sausage, lunch was a turkey burger (no bun) with grilled peppers, onions, mushrooms, jalapeños, lettuce, and tomato with a side of chips dashed with a bit of salt and vinegar. I drank way too much coffee, though, but it was all black other than a cup from Starbucks in which I added heavy cream (no sugar or sweeteners of any kind).
  • Her surgery took around 3 hours, and everything went well; her thyroid was very much enlarged, but they saw no signs of cancer. The official results will be in early next week.
  • completed day three of Roadwork: 3 sets of 10 minute run + 10 burpees (total time: 32:25, distance: 3.0 miles, burpees: 30).
  • completed day 2 of Fit Christmas: three sets of 20 squats, 20 lunges, 10 shoulder taps, and 10 push-ups.
  • Like 1

I'm sorry for the lack of posts. I've been busy spending time with my queen, taking care of housework and my princesses while the queen rests and recovers. I also drove to Marshall University to pick up the oldest princess and bring her home for a few weeks. But I can do another of my quick bulleted list updates for Thursday and Friday:

• 0530 wakeup TR and F
  • no WHM breathing, but usual cold showers
  • listened to the PaYG daily prayer both days; Friday's prayer asked to reflect on any common messages or themes I notice from the week: for me it was restoration and redemption from God through a savior.
  • started a new audiobook: Bearskin by James A. McLaughlin. It is fantastic, compelling and very well-written.
  • still reading Wind River
  • been consistent with the Darebee daily dare, as well as the Fit Christmas program and the Roadwork 30 day running challenge.
  • tomorrow may probably be one of the hardest things I have ever done: as part of the Roadwork challenge, I'm supposed to jog for 5 minutes, run for 5 minutes, sprint for 5 minutes, then have a 5 minute cooldown. The sprinting for 5 minutes it the part that worries me. I'm just going to give it my best.
  • today I ran the trails at Valley Park for 25 minutes and completed the daily dare; I plan to work on the Fit Christmas workout this evening.
  • Like 2

Update (Sunday):

• 0600 wakeup (remember, I almost always sleep in on Sundays).
  • said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer asking for quick healing and recovery for my wife
  • listened to the PaYG daily prayer: this was the weekend prayer for the third Sunday of Advent, and the message was from Philippians 4:4-7. The focus was on rejoicing and whether I spend my time worrying or if I am obedient to the Word and "rejoice in the Lord always."
  • completed the Darebee daily dare, as well as Day 7 of the Fit Christmas program.
  • I didn't think I would have the chance to complete my running workout because my wife was having a rough day and needed me to run some errands for her. However, when I drove her and my daughter to my daughter's gymnastics lesson, my wife asked, "Can you run to the bank?" I asked, "Can I... literally run to the bank?" She laughed and said, "If you really want to." So modified my Roadwork workout: 5 minute jog, 5 minute steady run, then intervals of 1:30 all-out and 15-30 second steady run until 5 minutes passed, then finished with a 10 minute easy run.
  • getting deeper into Bearskin, as well as Wind River. I also checked out a copy of David Goggins' new book.
  • Like 2

“You have to build calluses on your brain just like how you build calluses on your hands. Callus your mind through pain and suffering.” – David Goggins

Earlier today I did something I haven't done in a while: I ran a trail barefoot. This was an impromptu decision because I knew the trail would be muddy, and the only shoes I had with me were my good pair of Adidas. Plus, these Adidas are best for road running anyway. So I took my shoes and socks off and hit the trail. I was consistent with my training time for Roadwork (25 minutes) but obviously slower and barefoot. Total distance: 2.06 miles. Pace: 11:31. Elevation gain: 181ft. The trail runs from the park into the woods and uphill to the lake. There is an optional trail that runs around the lake, but it is not clear and is often muddy and rough. Of course I don't consider it "optional." I also took the access road that climbs the mountain on the side and back down, then ran back into the trail again to the end, turned around, and ran back out. After my 25 minutes was up, I waded in a cold stream to wash off my feet and legs. I miss these kids of workouts, in nature, free, and refreshing.

• Like 2

Update (Monday and Tuesday):

• 0500 wakeup
  • said the Lord's Prayer, as well as a more personal prayer of gratitude
  • listened to the PaYG daily prayers; today's prayer was a little more contemplative, which puts emphasis on imagining the scenes described in the readings. Today's reading was about the angel's visit to Joseph to tell him not to be afraid to take Mary as his wife. I listened to it and contemplated as I walked around campus.
  • completed the Darebee daily dare both days
  • completed the Darebee Fit Christmas Days 7 and 8.
  • Fit Christmas Day 7: 2 minutes scissor chops, 1 minute arm scissors, 1 minute raised arm circles, and 2 minutes raised arms hold
  • Today (Fit Christmas Day 8) was the first time I had completed enough sets to reach Level Three. The workout was 5 x 10 jumping jacks and 4 shoulder taps = one set. I did 7 sets of this, which equaled 350 jumping jacks and 140 shoulder taps.
  • planning my Roadwork running workout this afternoon: 25 min. run with 10 second jog backwards every 5 minutes.

And now for some motivation:

• Like 1

Apologies for the recent silence. Holiday and all that stuff. Really, though, this hasn't been the worst Christmas. My wife and I had the usual argument over money, and it was both my fault and hers, but we're okay now.

• sticking with Darebee daily dares
  • finished the 12 day Fit Christmas workout
  • continuing to listen to the PaYG daily prayers
  • participated in a "snowball fight" in the Darebee Hive and decided to modify the idea for NF's Holiday Challenge board; hoping more people will see it and participate
  • I've skipped a few cold showers in the past few days, mostly because I've been more busy in the mornings and it has been more convenient to take baths before bed. So instead I have been washing my hair in cold water.
  • My friends asked me to take care of their pets while they are away, so twice a day I get to hang out with two huskies and three cats. If you've been with me for a while, one of these huskies is the same that came to our house, and we thought he was a stray. We held onto him (with the absolute intent of keeping him if no one claimed him) until the owner got word that we had him and came by. That started a friendship that has continued since then.

I have my plan for next challenge. I'm not sure when it will start, but as soon as the next challenge board is posted I will transfer this info there. I'll share more about the theming for the challenge then, but I have set some short-term and some long-term goals:

Short-Term Goals:

* get back to waking up by 0445 Monday-Saturday (I've been sleeping in because I'm on holiday break)
* complete Roadwork 30 Day running program (halfway done)
* complete the Darebee daily dare every morning. Goal: at least 50 in a row (13 down so far)

* complete the Darebee Epic Five program (the workouts only take 5 minutes, so it can easily be integrated into my daily routine)
* complete the Darebee Hero's Journey followed by Age of Pandora
* continue Wim Hof breathing, exercises, and cold showers
* continue daily prayer/meditation
* post to Nerd Fitness and Darebee regularly (at least three days/week)
* work on Duolingo daily

Long-Term Goals:
* finish Educational Leadership Masters degree
* train in a martial art
* learn how to properly shoot a gun (possibly concealed carry training)
* run a Spartan race and/or a long trail race (at least 25k)

* learn another language

• Like 1