UnquietBones is not giving up *stubborn intensifies*

UnquietBones

It seems like this has been a horrible, useless, waste of a year. But those months (and weeks and days) are a sunk cost I'll never get back, so no use crying over spilled seconds.

So we start again.

Foundational elements: Sleep, Food, Movement, Mind.

Sleep - in bed 8 hours

Food - eat at home 3 out of every 7 meals (Hello Fresh), bring lunch 3 out of 5 days

Movement - bodyweight and/or walking every day

Mind - daily journaling to track goals and adjust plans

Goals are set low on purpose, I've got a long climb to get back to where I was. Patience grasshopper, patience.

• Like 4

Learning the art of Failing Upwards... (or: Moving Mountains with Teaspoons!)

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

...and that's adult me. Not-adult-me wants to cook all the time, spend more time being social, quit Diet Coke cold turkey, learn how to drive stick shift, go Paleo, read a book a week, take up marathoning, build an indoor gym in the basement, learn five different coding languages, build an epic Etsy store, master resin casting, sculpt alllll the magnets, keep a spotless house, write dozens of how-to blog posts, finish hundreds of stories, build a WordPress theme, write computer games, do a NaNoWriMo every month, start a Patreon, start a Kickstarter, build an epic workshop, rewire the house, and, and, and...

Right, so Not-adult-me is going to kill me. *sighs*

Anywho, I have dumped all other commitments for the oncoming challenge (I didn't have many that weren't self-imposed) and am going to focus on this and ONLY this for a bit.

Starting now. For reasons. *mysterious handwaves*

• Like 1

www.Martha.net - Model Horses, Stories, Webcomics, Plaster Casting, Treadmill Gaming, etc... because you can never have too many hobbies!

That not-adult voice is so often the problem, isn't it? I've gotten to the point where the mental phrase "Well, maybe I could do..." is a huge red flag with claxons on it. Yes, I probably could, but I would probably also hate myself. 

How do you like the Hello Fresh service? We've considered it, but haven't tried it yet. 

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 54 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Joining in on the club of struggling with same not-adult voice :D 

Still need to draw up my challenge but at least ready to follow some again... let's keep swimming, shall we? Coming here is already a part of showing up, right?

Keep coming please, it helps me too :cheerful:

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

On 11/24/2018 at 10:14 AM, Manarelle said:

That not-adult voice is so often the problem, isn't it? I've gotten to the point where the mental phrase "Well, maybe I could do..." is a huge red flag with claxons on it. Yes, I probably could, but I would probably also hate myself. 

How do you like the Hello Fresh service? We've considered it, but haven't tried it yet. 

I'm trying to start really paying attention to my internal monologues to figure out my actual motivations/excuses vs what I wish my motivations/excuses were. It's odd the amount of self-editing we do!

And Hello Fresh is actually quite awesome! :D It's still a heck of a learning curve to get used to cooking most/some night-- but it's giving me a lot more confident about my skills and it's a nice sort of zen mindset to fall into. I have all the ingredients I need, so no grocery story runs at the last minute because I'm short something! 

I'm planning on starting a Hello Fresh blog post series called Hello Whoops! that chronicles my fails and wins with the various recipes! ;)

15 hours ago, lucky fire dragon said:

Joining in on the club of struggling with same not-adult voice :D 

Still need to draw up my challenge but at least ready to follow some again... let's keep swimming, shall we? Coming here is already a part of showing up, right?

Keep coming please, it helps me too :cheerful:

Do ALL the things! :D:D:D Wait... no... darnit ;)

I took the weekend to be a bit lazy and think of things, but I'm going to try my best to come here every day and write a sum-up of the day around 8pm. It's going to be part of my new going-to-bed-stop-playing-on-the-internet routine. *crosses fingers*

I can doodle you some daily dragons if it would lure you back to see them! :D 

I did take some steps this weekend to help get things rolling:

Dog Bed - Sir Buckethead the Gallant is just shy of 100 pounds of canine sleeping partner... who almost pushed me off the bed Friday night. So I bought him a dog bed and he is going to learn how to sleep on the floor. I started last night and he was actually pretty okay (after telling him to get off the bed 15 times before he'd stop jumping back up. *sighs*). I went to sleep with him on the floor, kicked him off once during the night, and woke up to him sleeping on the floor. Wish me luck! :D

Boring Books - I need to relax my brain before I go to sleep, so I found a way to set my Chromebook to non-blue night mode and have started reading The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck which I bought with 'sell my soul to Google Survey' money. It's interesting... but not the stay-up-until-3am sort.

Clean House - We did a serious cleaning attempt for Thanksgiving and having a nice clean house is much more inspiring than I had thought. I've been just pondering how nice it is and how happy it makes me to look and not see clutter... so I am going to add this to my list of 'Things That Are Actually Important'. I have a list that I thought was true, but now I'm trying to rewrite that list.

Paying Attention - I am trying to pay attention to myself and listen to the 'I need to's that pop-up. I needed to pour some new Fat Pony magnets for a new custom portrait horse order and I've been meaning to make a level shelf for my very warped workbench. So this time instead of feeling annoyed... I took half an hour and built one. I need to start doing this with everything! There are too many little things that I just live with and gripe about in my head. So. Yes.

I'm also planning on hanging posters in the house that remind me of what I am trying to do. Hopefully, this will keep me on track this time! :)

And just for the pretty... here have some Fat Dragon magnets! :D

IMG_20180927_143159696.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, UnquietBones said:

And Hello Fresh is actually quite awesome! :D It's still a heck of a learning curve to get used to cooking most/some night-- but it's giving me a lot more confident about my skills and it's a nice sort of zen mindset to fall into. I have all the ingredients I need, so no grocery story runs at the last minute because I'm short something! 

I'm planning on starting a Hello Fresh blog post series called Hello Whoops! that chronicles my fails and wins with the various recipes! ;)

That sounds fantastic. One of my coworkers made an "Accidental gardener" blog, and it's neat seeing the reality of life, not the "I'm so pretty and here's my never-failing [hobby] that I took 5 hours to set up a picture and edit it" fairy tales. Real people make mistakes, and it's comforting to know one is not alone. As far as food mistakes, our house rule is "if it's edible, presentation doesn't matter." :) 

Love the fat little dragons, and I love the "Things that are actually important" list. It does change, so it's good to update now and then. 

• Like 2

Love the cute little dragons.

And man, I agree that the tidy house often feels like it is actually important, but struggle with getting there! 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Sleep - I got to bed a little late last night (9:45) and ended up taking a nap after work. I took a melatonin at 8:30 and reading the book went well, I just let myself check 'just one thing' on the internet after that... and got sucked in. Tonight I will read another chapter of the book and then stop. Bucket has started de-stuffing his bed (which I was expecting), but I will continue to ask him to sleep in it. (EDIT: I lied, I played on the forums instead of reading. Doh!)

Food - I ate breakfast that I brought, drank tea instead of Diet Coke, and cooked Hello Fresh for dinner. I did eat out for lunch and had some snacks when I got home, but for breakfast and dinner this was a win. :)

Movement - I was not feeling well, so I napped instead of walking after coming home I set up meeting reminders on my Outlook calendar to remind me to go for walking breaks at work... and worked right through them. To be fair, it was raining out and I am a wuss, so we'll see how it goes tomorrow.

Mind - Daily journaling check! :D

I cleaned up after cooking (which I'm not normally very good at) so the dishwasher is running and the stove is nice and shiny clean. I made MANY PLANS while I was at work, but other than grocery shopping to replace a few of the veggies from our didn't-cook-it-in-time Hello Fresh's I let myself take it easy.

I have decided, whilst walking around in the grocery store, that I am not going to weight myself or track calories for a bit. I am not chasing specific goals right now, I am attempting to form healthy habits. It might not be SMART, but I think actual goals are going to discourage me... because lo, I have a long loooong way to go.

But I can do the easiest step, which is to leaves the SMARTs behind and just do...

• Like 2

Yeah, do what you need to do to get back in a groove. Leaving those things behind takes off a lot of pressure to perform and can inhibit you from the DOING part, which you are working into. :)

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

18 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

I have decided, whilst walking around in the grocery store, that I am not going to weight myself or track calories for a bit. I am not chasing specific goals right now, I am attempting to form healthy habits. It might not be SMART, but I think actual goals are going to discourage me... because lo, I have a long loooong way to go.

But I can do the easiest step, which is to leaves the SMARTs behind and just do...

Overthinking/ overplanning is definitely a thing. You've tried it, try something new, at least for a bit. 

• Like 2

Sleep - I got to bed after 9 but before 10 again, which at least is trending the right direction. Bucket snuck up on the bed which meant he woke me up a few times, but I was too tired to kick him out again. I'm getting a late start tonight because of the treadmill gaming (just one more quest!), but I'm going to skip book reading and go right to bed.

Food - oatmeal for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, Hello Fresh for dinner - Win Win Win! :D

Movement - hopped on the treadmill and walked for just shy of an hour. Got my baby Nelf Druid up to catform finally! I swear I'm spending more time tweaking my bar layout and finding all my shifting macros that I am leveling. XD 1.5mph for about an hour. Nothing fancy yet, but I wasn't as tired or sore as last session, so yay!

Mind - daily journaling, go! :D

I meant to get on the treadmill earlier, so I would have time to get a shower and be in bed before 9... but I got caught up in questing and wasn't paying attention to the clock. So win for more walking, but booo for sleepy-times.

Work is finally hitting the breaking point for everyone and we've got a lot of folks openly talking about job hunting and sharing listings they've found, so I may be doing the new job tango early next year. The workload is crazy right now and it's only going to get worse. *sighs* So then I started overplanning on how to manage that... and wasted a good part of the day stressing out. Whee?

On the art side of things, I got all the bodies ready for dremeling for the next Fat Pony custom order, so I can do that tomorrow and get some primer on them. I got all of the bird Christmas ornaments up in the Etsy store, so I'm hoping to have some nibbles on those this week. I'm doing my best to keep my art desk clean after each project, but the mess is slowly creeping up again. :hopelessness:

So I am going to head to a nice warm shower and a nice comfy bed and get ready to do it all over again! ;):D 

Have some pretty birds in the meantime!

Blue Jay Cardinal Resin Christmas Ornaments.jpg

• Like 2

Late to the party, but wanted to get this logged before bed...

Sleep - went to bed later (10:15ish) but today is my late morning so I slept in a little. Also took a three hour nap after leaving work early to burn some free holiday hours. So... win? Am going to bed right after this.

Food - wednesdays are my cheat day at work, so I ate out for breakfast and lunch but did cook Hello Fresh for dinner (win!)

Movement - 30min at 1.7mph! 1.5 was kicking my butt when I first started walking again, so seeing that 1.7 wasn't that hard has me quite chuffed. Hopefully I'll be back up to my 2mph treadmilling speeds soon! :D

Mind - nope nope, just popping in to day hi and write this down. no time for refection tonight if I want to change my sleep time habits

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Just saying, rah rah rah druids. I might be a bit biased. Sorry to hear work is deteriorating, once it hits that tipping point, it seems to go downhill faster as everyone bails. Good luck...

CAT IS 4 FITE! :D:D (Sadly, powershifting is no longer a thing? I am having to relearn macros, woe. But at least Power Auras has a new grandchild plugin in Weak Auras and I can set that back up! :D)

And work is... going to be odd. It looks like we may be losing someone as soon as this week (he is talking to the other team's manager to see if he wants the job tomorrow). It takes us a year to train a new hire and my group (in theory) will no longer exist in two years, so I'm not sure they will backfill. This is after already losing two people out of the group with no backfill and being told we are taking on the work of another team that was disbanded and reassigned.

Not funtimes.

So brushing up on VBA and Java and C++ and Javascript and PHP and all the other languages I haven't been really been using since I got this job... Woo? (I still maintain Python is not a programming language, it's too easy! ;) I also need to learn GIT, which looks like it will be... fun.

I am trying to find a way to claim that learning how to write addons for WoW counts as resume worthy programming... ;) :D 

• Like 2

0yGiiwi.jpg 

Writing WoW addons is still programming, gotta make sure it fits with everything else and troubleshoot it when it goes wonky. :) 

I'll admit I was 100% tree the whole time I gamed, even when they stole my damn tree form. Went bear briefly in BC, just to learn how to rawrbomb, but otherwise, tree life. 

Work sounds... exhausting. And like ultimately there will be one person left, chugging energy drinks and twitching in a corner somewhere. For now, though, hope things settle out a bit, and nice work on the treadmill gaming.

• Like 2

I'm not gonna lie, I have more druid alts than probably all of my other characters combined. And they're all cats (or bears for dungeon queueing :P). I just unsubbed because BofA is... blah and I don't feel satisfied leveling lowbies these days when I have so few hours for gaming. BUT YES, CATS FOR FITE!!! 

God, work sounds like it's gonna be really rough. Good luck, friend. 

• Like 2

Raptron, alot assassin

7 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Work sounds... exhausting. And like ultimately there will be one person left, chugging energy drinks and twitching in a corner somewhere. For now, though, hope things settle out a bit, and nice work on the treadmill gaming.

The running joke in my group has been that that person will be me... and it's made me extremely paranoid about avoiding that fate. I get way too stressed out about fixing things and keeping things up and running.

2 hours ago, raptron said:

I'm not gonna lie, I have more druid alts than probably all of my other characters combined. And they're all cats (or bears for dungeon queueing :P). I just unsubbed because BofA is... blah and I don't feel satisfied leveling lowbies these days when I have so few hours for gaming. BUT YES, CATS FOR FITE!!! 

I have way waaaay too many druids. I used to alt Tree, but then they took Tree away and I was sad. I used to pop Bear to failback tank in dungeons, but no more shared tree for them either. But low level Cat is still 4 Fite and I am having much too much fun just playing without worrying that I've got the right gear or the right enchants!

As for work... We've lost the one person now, semi-offically. The new position sounds right up his alley, so it will hopefully be a great fit and he'll finally get to fix some of the serious headaches that group has been causing us! :)

There is another job opportunity in Power BI that was floated around today for takers and I'm looking into that one. I've done a lot of work with reporting with Access and Excel (VBA, yay!) so if this is a programming job I may jump on it. If it's just a 'make a simple SQL statement look pretty'... then no. But it's certainly given me something to think about! :D 

Tomorrow is month end night shift for me 3-midnight, so I'm puttering around with some art custom orders and trying to figure out how to log tomorrow. I suppose I shouldn't borrow trouble, but I'm on a good start and I'd like to keep it that way...

• Like 3

Sleep - the three hour nap threw me off and I got to bed late. Tomorrow is a late shift so I know I'll stay up later tonight to prep for it (and since I can sleep in).

Food - breakfast oatmeal, leftovers for lunch, and eating out for dinner (out of Hello Fresh! woe)

Movement - 40min approx on the treadmill at 1.5mph, so about a mile. Had to quit because I was getting achy. Boo :( Finally starting to get back all the feral talents I'm used to, but good gravy the game has changed!

Mind - too tired! *is  ded of leveling grind*

• Like 3

oh boy, your work situation sounds really exhausting, you might have to shout out a huge PLOT TWIST to the fates there, or really look actively for alternatives as you mentioned for beginning of new year. Wishing you lots of strength for it

But hey, your challenging game here is AWESOME! So much tracking, so much cooking, so much mind game - wow

On 11/27/2018 at 2:35 AM, UnquietBones said:

I have decided, whilst walking around in the grocery store, that I am not going to weight myself or track calories for a bit. I am not chasing specific goals right now, I am attempting to form healthy habits.

That's the important part, isn't it? If the scale is giving encouraging feedback, great, but it often takes a while to get there and can be counter-helpful instead. The habits are the thing to build and keep going, stuff the rest.

2 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

(out of Hello Fresh! woe)

Isn't that such a cool problem to have? Your cooking went super well this week already, didn't it? Are you enjoying it?

2 hours ago, UnquietBones said:

40min approx on the treadmill at 1.5mph

40 min is a lot after a long break! You're going great. Especially considering less sleep with all the dog training and with the extra stress about work. Just keep going again and again. You'll be back in the game in no time :cheerful:

Man, your magnets are beautiful! I adore the dragons most of course but those birds are so pretty, too. I always envy people who are good at things like that. Must be a nice contrast to work stuff to make those ^_^

• Like 2

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

It... was not a good few days.

Friday

I had someone in frontline tell me I was wasting everyone's time by passing back a ticket he hadn't filled out correctly so he could fix the errors. We had an 8min IM argument over a 5-second fix because he was demanding that if I had time to send the ticket back then I had time to work it... and he still didn't fix it before he left for the day. I came within 30 seconds of blocking him on IM to get him to leave me alone so I could get work done. (I probably should have just blocked him after the second time he demanded I do things.)

I let him completely ruin the happy mood I had from talking about the Power BI opportunities with my Boss's Boss. *mutters*

This is a day after my manager told me to 'just lower your expectations' when dealing with someone else internal who was doing basically the same thing. 

Friday was a month-end shift that ran until 1 am because of some weird sporadic issues we couldn't track down. We decided to table it and see if they were still there the next day.

Sleep - got lots of sleep in the morning, very little that night

Food - Had breakfast at home and had a big vegetarian salad at Moe's for lunch, then just one slice of cheese pizza for dinner (work buys dinner for the night shift :D)

Movement - none, was a lazy day

Mind - skipped the forum post, but thought some think-y thought about work at work

Saturday

Saturday morning I woke up to find two missed calls on the on-call phone about the same issue... because the iPhone had somehow set itself in to vibrate only mode. Took me an hour and a half of troubleshooting to get it back. (Had to reboot, turn the silent mode switch to silent and back to not-silent. My coworker had set it to silent and back for one night where the alerts for someone else's system had it ringing every 10 minutes all night... and for some reason, it locked the phone in silent mode even though the switch was off and nothing in the settings pages indicated it was still stuck on silent.)

I spent 8am-1:30pm Saturday working the same issue from Friday night. There was a lot of calling and waking people up who had worked that same 1am shift and then hours of troubleshooting and tracking down on call numbers for all the various teams... only to find out at 1:30 that there was a major network problem that they had just resolved... that resolved all of our issues. (EDIT: Turns out it was a hardware failure and the failover... didn't.)

The Major Incident coordinator asked Networking at 9am if there were any issues and they said no. Even though they were working a critical network issue that had started on Friday when they pushed changes. They fixed it at 1:30 and still only told us secondhand that it might have fixed things and to test it.

So none of the people involved in any of my calls or email chains or IM sessions for those five hours was in any way involved with the actual issue or the resolution.

I woke up Saturday with a mini-migraine and entered the afternoon with a larger one. So I ate lunch (which hubby kindly got me since I couldn't leave the calls/laptop) and then went to sleep.

For the rest of Saturday.

Sleep - none at night, lots in the afternoon

Food - Ate fast food (and a LOT of it) for lunch and dinner

Movement - none

Mind - *rage*

So.

Yes.

Today was a much better day. My sleep schedule is shot to heck, but I accomplished:

Sleep - am prepping to be in bed at 9, hoping to be asleep by 10.

Food - Ate out, but it is nice basic food (eggs, bacon, toast) for breakfast and ate out for linner (lunch/dinner) (Katuscon staff meeting, whee!) which was less good. Skipped dinner since I got enough calories to keep me going. Remembered to log in MyFitnessPal too! :D

Movement - took the dogs on a doggie walk since the weather was nice. Hit my 7k step goal!

Mind - Did my forum post and I'm going to go think some deep Shower Thoughts in a moment.

Also, the Power BI work is 'in addition too' current job responsibilities, so it's basically a free sandbox I get to play in to see if I can get it talking to our existing system. I had made plans to start the training classes this weekend (yay free Udemy!), but alas... that did not happen.

Once I'm good at Power BI there are several other groups I could swap to at work and it's a skill that other companies would also be interested in. I see it as a win-win! :)

I am attempting to reset my brain into a happy place for the coming week. Having the on-call phone is a challenge since it limits what I can do for the two weeks I have it, but I can't let it get me down! :)

• Like 2

Oh man, that on call story sounds horribly frustrating. 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

Today was a MUCH better day! :D

Sleep - Was only up until 1030ish last night which was great considering how much I messed up my sleep schedule over the weekend. I convinced the dog to start out on the floor and am hoping he gets the hint at some point and stays there all night.

Food - Oatmeal for breakfast, leftovers for lunch, and Hello Fresh for dinner! I did have waaay too many Christmas cookies from work, but that was an unexpected gift so I am totally not counting it. XD

Movement - I have the oncall phone so I figured I'd only get to spend 20min on the treadmill... so I went at 2mph! Not only did I not DIEOMG, I also ended up walking for almost an hour because the phone didn't ring as I was expecting it to. Yay for 7k steps and max points from Virgin Pulse for active minutes! :D *dancedancedance*

Mind - I'm here and logging! :D I need to try and think some thinky-thoughts as I wind down tonight... but things got a little hetic and I still have a few things to do before bed, so I may save that planning spree for later.

Work tried to get me down today and I tried really hard to not let it. I'm trying to focus in on the things I enjoy about the job and not let the rest get to me. Apparently, the bosses of the frontline worker that I got into the IM disagreement with want my boss to yell at me because I hurt the feelings of the frontline person. ...Thankfully my boss is very polite when he tells people to take a long walk off a short bridge. I told him I'd be willing to explain to HR how they are hurting -my- feelings if it comes to that. Not taking -bleep- from frontline is a hill I'm willing to die on. *plants spear in ground and waits for cavalry charge*

Right now my Evil Plan is to deploy a bot army that will fix all the data issues that frontline normally calls me on before anyone even knows they are an issue... thereby removing any reason for frontline to call me at all. With luck, I will program my way out of this mess... and I am totally calling them AUTObots and no one has told me I can't yet. MWHAHAHAHA! :D:D

Anywho, yes, time for bed... hope everyone else had a good day and I will try and catchup on the forum chatter tomorrow! :)

• Like 2

Yessss, autobots. :D

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin