• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Help Me Find a Stupid Human Trick

I'm having attention span issues in getting my strength training done. So I'm looking for a long-term goal of some stupid human trick that involves simple 1-2 exercise prep work now. (Basically, I'm trying to minimize my need to focus in the short term, and maximize the reward feedback for doing it.)

This might theoretically be something like handstands, but my weight is a little high for that right now.

Parkour? Maybe. It looks pretty great. It's a lot for my brain to run through right now, though. But a two-drill parkour for beginners suggestion might be a start.

Any other thoughts on how I could star in my own mental action movie, despite having very little ability to focus at the moment? Because, honestly, it's mostly about starring in my own mental action movie.

My legs get a decent workout, my glutes and core could definitely use more but get a bare minimum from martial arts warmups even if I forget everything else, my upper body could really use more.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Human flag always impresses me.

db1b218123a1cb44597ea6116e7d63af.jpg

That is a pretty great human trick, with some great core work. I always assumed it was much harder than handstands on the human tricks scale, what with basically being a handstand perpendicular to gravity. Have you given it a shot? I'd be curious what the early stages of that progression look like.

45 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

I love the crow

15511006272011111649.jpg

That might be within my abilities, despite the general drawback of my current bodyweight. I think I've done a yoga routine where I got it briefly, or came darned close. I'll look up some how-to-crow resources.

• Like 3

I have tried the human flag and it is wicked hard.  Way harder than regular handstands.  

If you are thinking of parkour, you could work on some basic vaults (safety vault or lazy vault).  Other things you may want to try could be double elbow lever, cartwheel, L-sit, or a back bridge.  If you can't get a crow, you can always try a tripod or a headstand.

• Like 3

On 11/23/2018 at 11:54 PM, sarakingdom said:

I'm having attention span issues in getting my strength training done. So I'm looking for a long-term goal of some stupid human trick that involves simple 1-2 exercise prep work now. (Basically, I'm trying to minimize my need to focus in the short term, and maximize the reward feedback for doing it.)

This might theoretically be something like handstands, but my weight is a little high for that right now.

Parkour? Maybe. It looks pretty great. It's a lot for my brain to run through right now, though. But a two-drill parkour for beginners suggestion might be a start.

Any other thoughts on how I could star in my own mental action movie, despite having very little ability to focus at the moment? Because, honestly, it's mostly about starring in my own mental action movie.

My legs get a decent workout, my glutes and core could definitely use more but get a bare minimum from martial arts warmups even if I forget everything else, my upper body could really use more.

Crow is definitely a GREAT stupid human trick, as the folks above have suggested, and can progress into all sorts of other stupid human tricks (flying crow, crow to headstand/handstand, straight-armed crow, crow to handstand if you're fancy AF) and is a great base for handstand training in general because it gets you more accustomed to putting weight on and balancing on your hands.

...basically I'm just here to agree with everyone else. :)  

• Like 1

I think we have a winner. Crow pose (en route to eventual handstands) and ukemi (the crossover point between my martial art and parkour).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

I had to look that up (again...)  Very useful skill, that.

It's the one skill every black belt I know has used in real life.