Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy [Manarelle]

Manarelle

Guys... I did it. Mjolnir v2 was started on May 27th, then put off for an extra masters' class, work clothes, a first attempt at a breastplate, a Halloween outfit, a winter party outfit, and probably goodness knows what other little things I got wrapped up in. Realized this morning I was dragging my feet on the last bits because if I messed them up, I'd basically have to start back at square one with new materials; realizing that fear always energizes me to face it head on, and I bloody. Well. DID.

f15b3a52-e56b-4816-a0b8-d1d523d8f4bb-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds  7d327c52-8617-4374-a105-51d826f8d0ab-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

Beast. I am hella proud, pardon my hubris. For sure there are things I'd do differently the next time, but for an opening go and learning lots of new skills along the way, **** yeah. 

• Like 6

Manarelle the Level 54 Amazon Assassin

Gryffindarling and Sith Acolyte, somehow.

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

That vest and Mjolnir look great.  I love all of your creativity and seeing the all of the stuff you make :) 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Winter party was good: a surprising number of people dressed up, and the food was amazing. That said, I'm glad it's done, and the last three weekends of the year are unencumbered. 

4822a6b5-1c34-4f8d-9694-347f4607277a-ori 

Random aside... I forget that I am taller in flats than most ladies in heels. Might be another reason why I tend to avoid them

• Like 5

That outfit turned out great!

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24High School [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

3 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

That outfit turned out great!

I am quite pleased, thank you. Wasn't sure if I'd be keeping it.. now I am. 

Week 2:

• Tinker: Finally actually finished something, and used extra EVA foam to insulate the greenhouse. Chestpiece is next. 
  • Tailor: Winter outfit done, would like to make 1 more pair of work pants, but it is not urgent. 
  • Soldier: Yup.
  • Spy (3 parts): Finished class 2 of the online specialization, languages are good, and resume is next. 

All in all, a fantastic week for getting things done, and clearing out the list (and my room). This week is fairly quiet and I'm ok with that. 

• Like 3

LOOKING FLY!!! I love how it turned out. And meow-meow! So great. You really checked off all the things this week. :)

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Thanks, it's always nice when things turn out as planned. So I won't lie, Monday and Tuesday have been super lazy, decompress and unwind days. I took Tuesday afternoon off work just for the halibut, and accomplished... nothing. And it felt great. (Ok, that's a bit of a lie, I cut out the rest of the breastplate v2, but decided not to use toxic glue in a closed room less than an hour before working out in the same room). There are still a couple minor things I need to accomplish on a timeline, like emissions testing and paying a few outlier bills), but I am quite pleased that my life and schedule have turned a corner. I'm taking this time to cement in the "be a calmer, more deliberate person" goal. Starting today, however, I will officially pick up the breastplate as my "in progress" hobby/ goal, and really try to get it progressing. I have a feeling that, once I start the job search, May will arrive faster than anticipated. 

On a totally unrelated note, after workout last night and the 1 chin-up finisher, I was cleaning up and getting ready for a shower when I randomly wondered if I could do more than one, even if it wasn't in a row. I still can't get the initial bend of the elbows (I start with my arms at roughly a 135° angle) when I lower down from the first chip-up, but I stopped, reset, and did two more individual ones before my shoulder started giving off warning signs. I'm pretty proud of that.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Manarelle said:

I am quite pleased that my life and schedule have turned a corner. I'm taking this time to cement in the "be a calmer, more deliberate person" goal. 

\o/

21 hours ago, Manarelle said:

On a totally unrelated note, after workout last night and the 1 chin-up finisher, I was cleaning up and getting ready for a shower when I randomly wondered if I could do more than one, even if it wasn't in a row. I still can't get the initial bend of the elbows (I start with my arms at roughly a 135° angle) when I lower down from the first chip-up, but I stopped, reset, and did two more individual ones before my shoulder started giving off warning signs. I'm pretty proud of that.

BOOOOYAH!

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

6564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Mjolnir v2 is done! Your party outfit looks fantastic! You did multiple chin-ups! YOU ARE AMAZING!

Seriously, though, what a week. Good work!

• Like 1

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

So much awesome!!! Enjoy the well earned fun time

• Like 1

Level 18 Wood-Elf Assassin

battle log: counting the good things

current challenge: something, nothing, all the things

previous challenges: 25242322212019181716, 151413121110987654, 321

How cool is it that the same God who created mountains and oceans and galaxies looked at you and thought the world needed one of you, too

Week 3:

• Tinker: Played around with the breastplate, glued it together, and spent about 2 hours tweaking it to fit better. Next step is scary. 
  • Tailor: Nothing, but that's not bad.
  • Spy (3 parts): Was captured by the Laurels of Success faction. Spent the week languishing in their holding cells and only got language practice in. Escaped on Saturday, back to work.

Not gonna lie, the whole week turned into relax time, and I'm not even sorry, because good gosh did I need it. I kept up on languages and working out, and got a bit of thermoplastics in, but otherwise I just read, relaxed, and worked on the "being a calmer person" thing. No regrets. 

This week... I'm undecided as of yet (and that's also ok). I was being silly and flexed at my gentleman while wearing only pants and the breastplate, and he said "Wait, hold on, do that again!" I did, he took a picture, and I've gotta say, my workouts are paying off. There's definitely more muscle there. Unfortunately, there's still around 30% body fat covering them, and I'm trying to decide if I want to do anything about that, right in the midst of the holidays. Moreover, I'm trying to decide what I want to do about that. The old part of me is going gung ho for cutting calories, focus hard on it, suffer for beauty, blah blah blah. The newer attitude is pointing out that there's still 5 months until the cosplay is due, and I'm already hungry on a semi-regular basis; cutting calories might not be the best plan. Trying to decide if I need to find balance, or just kick the old attitude to the curb. 

Ladies/ unsqueamish gentlemen:

Spoiler

Got my first uti this week. Was extremely apprehensive, because I've always heard horror stories from my friends about them being 2 weeks of absolute pain and suffering. Instead, I tried out the new video doctor visit that my insurance rolled out, and was pleasantly surprised - 10 minutes' wait at 9pm, the dude was very professional, actually listened  to me (not all doctors do), and sent a prescription to the pharmacy immediately. Unfortunately, the pharmacy was closed by then, but a friend told me about AZO and I made it through the night without issue (other than the minor heart attack at the color it turns your urine). Took 3 days of antibiotics and going to the bathroom a little bit more than usual, and done. VERY pleased at how it turned out, please let's never do that again. 

Last thing of note: we finally got the last piece needed to make the greenhouse a functional area, and it does its job very well. My gentleman can go out and smoke, and the exhaust fan vents it a) away from the house, and b) away from the HVAC unit/ air intake. Last year, I could tell every time he smoked, because it would seep into the vents and circulate through the house. I was not a happy camper. We also tested it with keeping the basement door open and using some pretty vicious glue in the craft room: no smell throughout the rest of the house, and while the room got a little cooler, it definitely didn't feel like there was an open door. I am quite proud of myself, not even gonna lie.  

TL;DR: good week, stuff works. Woot. 

• Like 3

Yay more muscle! Yay fancy video doctor being helpful and you getting better quick! Yay lazy weeks! Yay greenhouse!

All around sounds like you are kicking butt this challenge. I'm 100% not the person to talk about whether to cut calories or not, but good luck deciding what you want to do! 

• Like 1

Traaki, Level 23 Half-Orc Assassin 

Current challenge: traaki gets some sun. Just a little. * Respawned on June 25, 2018

Previous: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Epic QuestBattlelog

On 12/16/2018 at 9:54 AM, Manarelle said:

This week... I'm undecided as of yet (and that's also ok). I was being silly and flexed at my gentleman while wearing only pants and the breastplate, and he said "Wait, hold on, do that again!" I did, he took a picture, and I've gotta say, my workouts are paying off. There's definitely more muscle there. Unfortunately, there's still around 30% body fat covering them, and I'm trying to decide if I want to do anything about that, right in the midst of the holidays. Moreover, I'm trying to decide what I want to do about that. The old part of me is going gung ho for cutting calories, focus hard on it, suffer for beauty, blah blah blah. The newer attitude is pointing out that there's still 5 months until the cosplay is due, and I'm already hungry on a semi-regular basis; cutting calories might not be the best plan. Trying to decide if I need to find balance, or just kick the old attitude to the curb. 

I'm team #newattitude.

On 12/16/2018 at 9:54 AM, Manarelle said:

Last thing of note: we finally got the last piece needed to make the greenhouse a functional area, and it does its job very well. My gentleman can go out and smoke, and the exhaust fan vents it a) away from the house, and b) away from the HVAC unit/ air intake. Last year, I could tell every time he smoked, because it would seep into the vents and circulate through the house. I was not a happy camper. We also tested it with keeping the basement door open and using some pretty vicious glue in the craft room: no smell throughout the rest of the house, and while the room got a little cooler, it definitely didn't feel like there was an open door. I am quite proud of myself, not even gonna lie.  

That's awesome! I'm glad it's worked out!! 

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

On 12/9/2018 at 12:52 AM, Manarelle said:

Beast. I am hella proud, pardon my hubris. For sure there are things I'd do differently the next time, but for an opening go and learning lots of new skills along the way, **** yeah. 

You totally deserve it!!! It looks amazing! Only the worthy can lift it!

On 12/13/2018 at 1:53 AM, Manarelle said:

Thanks, it's always nice when things turn out as planned. So I won't lie, Monday and Tuesday have been super lazy, decompress and unwind days. I took Tuesday afternoon off work just for the halibut, and accomplished... nothing. And it felt great. (Ok, that's a bit of a lie, I cut out the rest of the breastplate v2, but decided not to use toxic glue in a closed room less than an hour before working out in the same room). There are still a couple minor things I need to accomplish on a timeline, like emissions testing and paying a few outlier bills), but I am quite pleased that my life and schedule have turned a corner. I'm taking this time to cement in the "be a calmer, more deliberate person" goal. Starting today, however, I will officially pick up the breastplate as my "in progress" hobby/ goal, and really try to get it progressing. I have a feeling that, once I start the job search, May will arrive faster than anticipated. 

Felling more like you are in control of your life helps tremendously, even if that means you have to decide to do things or take time to relax. It may feel controlling, but if we have alarm clocks to remind ourselves to wake up, we should have some telling us to relax too. 

AMAZING on the Multiple Chin-ups! It is really great to see progress, especially unexpected one. Slow and steady... and then BAM multiple chin-ups!

You rock!

• Like 1

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising up every time we fall." Confucius

On 12/16/2018 at 10:54 PM, Manarelle said:

I've gotta say, my workouts are paying off

WOot!  Always great when we can see tangible evidence that our work is making a difference!

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja

Week 4 and overall recap:

• Tinker: WIP, details below. 
  • Tailor: Made test bags, debating if it's something I want to pursue to sell or no. 
  • Spy (3 parts): Yup. 

In no real order, then. Workouts are going well, I've made (slow but) steady gains in all of my exercises, and am occasionally surprised when I pick things up by how (relatively) easy they are to carry now. Languages are doing well, I've noticed the new vocab slipping in when I talk to myself, even, and my teacher complimented me on a nice turn of phrase in class last week. The resume is scheduled to be overhauled tomorrow, and I'll start searching/ applying for places next week. I've started the third (of four) class for the online specialization, and am still enjoying it. 

I am very happy with how the winter outfit turned out, and got it done ahead of time, so my time management skills appear to still be on track. That said, I did leave it to my 11th hour, so I need to be a bit more proactive with that on the next project. I put together some rough attempts at using scraps to make bags/ pouches for cosplay/ ren faires/ whatever else, and while I think I've got some good patterns, I'm still deciding on whether I want to start that as a side thing to make a little extra cash. Right now, I'm leaning toward no, just because I have enough going on and don't need the money, but it's in the back of my head if it ever comes up. 

And speaking of things going on, I finally got time to work on the breastplate for the Thor outfit. I think most of the time was spent tweaking the pattern and EVA foam layer, so it was somewhat discouraging when I bit the bullet and covered it in Worbla, only to find that the Worbla absolutely overrode the shaping of the foam. Also, keeping even just one half of it warm enough to be pliable is a) difficult, b) hot and dehydrating, and c) headache-inducing from the noise of the heat gun and being overheated. However, I did finally get it done, minus the bottom edge because I'm not sure how I want that to look yet. I also created the gorget (neck-guard), and got it mostly formed. We had to run errands before I could get it fully formed and attached, so there's at least one more session of heat and headaches before I need to decide on decorative details, finish the bottom edge, and start sealing/ painting it. 

e5ec0da8-7c9a-41c5-b3cf-9d4d2fdfc91a-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds   0806b63f-f146-4923-af5f-1050a41dbb94-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds 

The front is well enough fitted that I have to pull it forward before I can pull it up off the dummy. Apparently, however, dressmakers assume that women don't have back/ shoulder muscles, so the back is not as exact and still needs tweaked a bit. I decided to go uni-boob rather than boob cups, because while yes, it's not functionally ideal to have allowances for breasts, I'd rather have cracked ribs than a cracked sternum in case of absolute emergencies (and there's no way I'm wearing a binder or sports bra all day for a con). Anyway. Progress is happening. Updates will continue in further challenges. 

I did decide to go back to tracking food, and I tweaked my macros a bit (minus carbs, plus protein). I think I've made significant body changes without cutting calories, so I'm going to just stay tracking for a bit, and see if the macro change helped. I'll re-evaluate in a couple months.  

• Like 1

The breastplate is looking really good!

18 hours ago, Manarelle said:

Apparently, however, dressmakers assume that women don't have back/ shoulder muscles

This is something that I had honestly never considered before.  Does it affect actual dress patterns as well or is it primarily just the way dummies are constructed?

Level 2 Ninja

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

This is something that I had honestly never considered before.  Does it affect actual dress patterns as well or is it primarily just the way dummies are constructed?

Thanks. It definitely affects dress/ shirt/ coat patterns as well. Have you ever tried to put on a coat that was too narrow in the shoulders? That's what a lot of women's patterns are like. Many of them also have very narrow sleeves - I usually have to cut out the sleeve pattern pieces at least two sizes larger than the body of the piece. I  have lots of opinions and anecdotes on this topic, but to keep it short (unless you're bored and want a rant), yes: sewing patterns are still sizist. 

Ran into this as part of a "pros and cons of being tall" years ago:

image.png.f83625ce9c132f71dcb0c59e1f30775e.png

Similar issues with women's patterns - they assume that if you're bigger in one place, you're bigger everywhere. 

• Like 1

Ok, that makes sense.  I have certainly run into that issue buying clothes, especially pants.  Pants makers here assume that if you have a normal/small waist, you automatically have tiny thighs.  

Level 2 Ninja

7 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ok, that makes sense.  I have certainly run into that issue buying clothes, especially pants.  Pants makers here assume that if you have a normal/small waist, you automatically have tiny thighs.  

Because who on earth works out these days? Can't possibly be normal people, nah... If you know someone who sews, I can highly recommend having clothes custom-made. I've been wearing my own pants now for over a year and it's infinitely better than trying to find something at the stores. Jeans are next on the list. 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2018 at 8:57 AM, WhiteGhost said:

IT IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM WHEN YOU GET STUCK TRYING ON A DRESS BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW HOW LATS WORK AND YOU'RE LIKE SWEATING PROFUSELY AND TRYING TO WRIGGLE FREE IN THE DRESSING ROOM WITHOUT FULLY PANICKING.

• Like 3

Raptron, alot assassin

1 hour ago, raptron said:

IT IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM WHEN YOU GET STUCK TRYING ON A DRESS BECAUSE THEY DON'T KNOW HOW LATS WORK AND YOU'RE LIKE SWEATING PROFUSELY AND TRYING TO WRIGGLE FREE IN THE DRESSING ROOM WITHOUT FULLY PANICKING.

And it's even better when it's an expensive fancy dress that cost $$$ and you're terrified of ripping it.:glee:

• Like 3

Wisdom- 13 Dexterity- 10 Charisma- 11 Strength- 12 Constitution-10 

Elastigirl Just Living Life - January 3 to February 6 New Year Challenge! - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"The chief goal of living is not to merely stay alive" Mike Rowe

Holy cow, you guys.  It's like the entire fashion industry is actively punishing fit women :o 

• Like 1

Level 2 Ninja