Nil Mortifi Sine Lucre! alr's crippled assassin challenge.

alr

I wasn't trying to argue, just sort of say where I'm coming from.

I am not about to give up nighttime eating but I have been thinking about where it comes from and how I have coped in the past that worked and didn't work and I am thinking that until I get back to putting miles in daily, I need to seriously cut back my day time eating. I have reactive hypoglycemia and crash out after meals a lot of the time but have been trying to eat breakfasts and lunches to keep myself going for work. I could easily give up breakfast without any functional energy loss. If second dinner keels me over, that's all the better since it will help me get to sleep. I suppose I COULD do the recommended small protein heavy meals throughout the day thing, but I so don't have time.

Today is my day off and I am already way behind and it isn't even lunch. I need to do a shit ton of paperwork, some housework, work out, prep cook some for the next few days, etc.

After my last food log yesterday, I did eat the rest of half a loaf of cornbread, with some honey (it's totally unsweetened wheat free cornbread, which is what I grew up on and love, not the sweet cake-y stuff), then six boiled egg whites and two small apples and a grapefruit in the car while running kids around on my work lunch, 12 almonds that I manaaged to hide in the warehouse at work, and

then went off the rails after work with a 280 calorie ice cream sandwich when I had to go pick up poster board for my son's project. $1.55 spent there.

Next three pickled jalapenos dipped in ranch and some skim milk and maybe a cup and a half of leftover mashed potatoes with scallions and butter on top, rebaked.

I need to not keep milk in the house. I had it for a recipe or something and I always end up drinking out of the carton at midnight.

This morning, after barely dragging out of bed in time to watch one kid at the bus stop (there have been assaults of middle school kids in my hood lately so I can't let the kids outside alone EVER right now) and drill sergeant the other through the project he was supposed to do while I was at work last night, I realized we had NO breakfast food in the house and there was no way we were getting there in time for school breakfast so I was forced, er, no, I CHOSE to blow two dollars and I have no idea how many calories on donuts on the way to take the procrastinator and his Teddy Roosevelt timeline to school.

We are out of nearly everything but I blew the budget this paycheck on this:

http://www.angelfoodministries.com/menu ... -11_en.asp

which I get to pick up on saturday and which will help money wise if not paleo wise. There is a lot of meat in there though, so that's good. I think I am going to be doing that every month so I will have a couple of weeks of only having to buy produce and yogurt (I can totally beatr their produce prices if I shop around).

I didn't exercise yesterday and want to get two hours in today but have to run errands and pretend to be a responsible adult for a while first.

About to eat a grapefruit and two more cups of green tea with honey. No clue what's for dinner but it may well involve some stashed leftover soup. Am I a genius for saving half a batch of homemade soup every week or two? Why yes I am. Thank you for saying so.

AND yes, that is the kind of bullying I probably need.

I got 100 glute bridges in the other night. Tonight I want to see if I can make it 200. Also, revolving plank of doom and get-up sit-ups, it's on!

alr

"The future will be different if we make the present different."

Peter Maurin

Oh, I second making a half-dinner. My school schedule is very different from my home schedule, and at home my parents like to eat dinner at 6pm. If I eat all my dinner then, I'm starving again at nine. But if I eat half of it at six with my family, and then the other half at night, I'm all set.

That's not a bad idea. A lot of times I make one thing for my kids (pasta, usually, which I avoid) and then wash dishes and do other things around the kitchen so that I am present for them while they eat and then I have a snack, go to the park and run, and then come home and eat for an hour or two while prepping work lunches, cleaning the kitchen, catching up with friends, etc.

Since a lot of our groceries are going to be dictated by what I can get cheapest for a month or two here, it may be a good idea to do a lot more of that. Over the summer, when I couldn't find a job after the end of the spring semester, it got REALLY ugly around here with the food budget and it's a little hard for me to cope with too much restrictions on some foods because I was at the point of making myself take three or four rest days a week because I couldn't afford enough protein and calories to keep up my routine unless I seriously restricted what the kids ate. Exercise is how I cope with stress, so this house was an emotional time bomb. Thankfully, I found my current job just after our savings totally ran out, and it is part of my job description to put in around 25 miles a week now, so I can better justify doing what I want to do anyway and eating enough to support that now, but I cannot wait until the holidays are over and I can go back to my massive raw produce, canned tuna, bs chicken breast, baked fish, and quart of yogurt daily habit. I am so craving clean eating right now.

alr

Peter Maurin

On my list of things to read: 1984 (I try to read this at least once a year), a couple of books by Michel Foucault and some Slavoj Zizek.

Ooh, ooh, Discipline and Punish, Discipline and Punish! History of Sexuality, also in the Foucault's greatest hits collection. </theorynerdrant>

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

On my list of things to read: 1984 (I try to read this at least once a year), a couple of books by Michel Foucault and some Slavoj Zizek.

Ooh, ooh, Discipline and Punish, Discipline and Punish! History of Sexuality, also in the Foucault's greatest hits collection. </theorynerdrant>
Will have to add it to the stack! Totally OT, but one of my professors (before I dropped out the first time - she taught my lit crit class, which was pretty much 100% theory) was a nun and had had to drive him around for an academic conference at her first teaching job. Which happened to be in San Francisco. And I think he had a bit of extra fun with the fact that his driver was a twenty-something nun in a full habit. She had more stories. . . (I wish someone had been in the back seat of that excursion with a video camera.)

Ahhhhhh, nerdjocks. I LOVE us. Where else am I gonna get dietary advice, glute bridges, planks for cripples, and Foucault all in one thread?

alr

Peter Maurin

I think those are the two Foucault books that I have. I will have to check out my bookshelf and see which ones they are. I know that I have the first two volumes of the History of Sexuality (perhaps the first 3, and of course I do not have the 4th).

History of Sexuality was amazing. I gotta find that again.

Damn, I haven't thought about reading philosophy in years. Gotta get into that again. I've kinda been stuck in a psychology/fantasy niche lately.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

I wasn't trying to argue, just sort of say where I'm coming from.

I hear ya! I always need to talk out the reasons behind my decisions and behaviours - it helps it sink in to my own brain.

(but thanks anyway, Althea!)

As you've pointed out, the nighttime eating isn't necessarily the problem, assuming that it doesn't tip your caloric intake over the limit.

Is keeping containers of yogurt and a supply of hardboiled eggs a feasible option? That could help you get in a very fast, inexpensive (for the eggs, anyway) protein hit. If I'm really struggling and needing a food hit, a few big spoonfuls of yogurt straight out of the container can hold me for some time, as can a hardboiled egg, and both only take a few seconds to a minute to eat.

That's what I normally do. Nonfat unflavored yogurt is my go-to food, but we're pretty broke right now and ran out. I am boiling eggs tonight so I can have those after work tomorrow. I may do it early so I can peel them and throw away the yolks in advance. I am going to have to eat them in the car while running kids around, most likely.

I can't go buy any more food until about the 5th, so we're stuck with what we've got until then.

Peter Maurin

Sometimes. I like to put frozen blueberries or bananas in it, or top it with some honey and cardamom. I like it plain too though and it saves a ton of junk calories. Real fruit is way better and healthier in yogurt and if you put frozen fruit on top before work, it gets melty and juicy and flavors the whole thing. OMNOMNOM.

Peter Maurin

Do you put anything in the yogurt? Somehow I could never get over the bitter taste of plain yogurt, so I just don't eat it anymore - since the flavored stuff has either a boatload of sugars added or a crap ton of nasty chemicals :\

I've found a few nice local and/or organic yoghurt varieties that actually use the fruit they claim to use to flavour their product. Vanilla extract is also nice. Like you, plain yoghurt is very unpalatable to me as I find it tastes exactly like sour cream, but I do use it in cooking and I will cut my flavoured yoghurt with plain. As for the sugars in the flavoured varieties...I just try to ignore 'em... ;)

LynnyLee,

It was our first pickup and I'm on the fence about it sort of still, but yeah, it's gonna help a lot.

It was a really bad weekend in a way that only single poverty-line parenting vs. adolescence can produce. I have to get to work right now but will post tonight.

Peter Maurin

Thinking of you, alr. Don't stress it - you're still a badass!!

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

Okay, the past three days I have eaten whatever I could make quickly and I haven't exercised. I had to work a lot fri-sun because it's retail, etc., and all the rest of my time has been taken up with dealing with what is either a serious discipline issue or possibly a mental health issue. The next week or two is going to be rough and my ankle is worse from having been kicked and then having to stand on it for a couple of nine hour shifts. Budgeting - no money, none spent Had seven dollars left and five were stolen. I get paid at the end of the week and have a little bit of gas in the tank and enough food in the house so it should be okay. I think I am going for two hours today because I need it for my own wellbeing.

Peter Maurin

hey, be careful with your foot! :) hope all is ok, hang in there!

Spezzy, the Arcane Skirmisher
Chaotic Good Quarter Elf Slayer/Magus
STR: 21 / DEX: 17 / CON: 14 / INT: 15 / CHA 15
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Hey - I have been meaning to write.

I am down a few pounds in spite of or maybe because of not working out for several days. I have been trying to deal with a difficult family situation and working a lot. Budgeting. Have no money=spend no money. Food. Today I have eaten a can of tuna, some oven fries, two apples, a 100 calorie pack of almonds from my work locker stash, some natural peanut butter from same stash, and a pot of weak coffee with sugar and milk. Am about to eat the last boca burger that always seems to be at the bottom of the freezer. Hopefully maybe some fruit with that.

I have some time to clean, so the living room floor should be yoga worthy tomorrow and my ankle is better although there is a weird painful bulge at the bottom of my foot. I can't afford to go to the doctor for that right now and I think they may have missed something on the ER x-ray so I am pretty worried and planning to stay off it whenever I am not at work and can manage that.

Peter Maurin

Down to 120 today. I haven't been eating carefully OR exercising. I think the answer is stress. To anyone who really needs to lose weight, I highly recommend adopting an adolecent.

Peter Maurin

Definitely stay off the foot while you can. Weird bulges are not something you can power through. Ice and heat!

Head down and get through it, alr. We're here for you.

- Seneca, 63 AD

Things are starting (whew) to settle down at home and oddly, not working out but eating everything in sight seems to have made me lose weight up until thanksgiving, although I may have found the limits of that in the past couple of days.

Budgeting is going pretty meh, still broke. Eating, huge fail. Workout in the past several days? Nil.

On the upside, my foot and ankle seem to be improving. So I am going to try the NYC ballet video tonight.

Also, I have been organizing a good bit around the house. It only takes a boatload of stress to get me cleaning.

And why is it that cleaning is so soothing when there happens to be a boatload of stress with one's name on it?

OH!

Also, my work lunch today, not that it kept me from also eating all the potluck leftovers in sight, was AMAZING:

chopped up baby spinach with chopped up celery and sun-dried tomatoes, a can of tuna, a glob of mayo, and more red wine vinegar than seemed reasonable, plus salt and pepper and garlic powder. Real garlic would have been nice but I got lazy. It was so good. I am making it again tomorrow.

AND, angelfood was a budget-win but not a diet-win. WAY processed for the most part. But yummy!

Peter Maurin

Your tuna mess sounds amazing. I don't have sundried tomatos, but will have to try it nonetheless.

Glad to have you back! Glad things are going okay-ish, and yay cleaning. The psychologist in me theorizes that cleaning is appealing when we're struggling under intense stress because it's a straightforward, methological way to visibly improve our surroundings, giving us a sense of accomplishment. Twice the fun when you make a list first - physically checking things off a list gives people an actual, real chemical boost. Only when we think we deserve it, though. If you half-arsed something or MOSTLY completed it, it won't work. Humans are funny.

I read too much.

- Seneca, 63 AD

Just did the NYC ballet workout dvd. THE WHOLE THING. (even the little jumps.)

I am still not ready for box jumps or distance running yet, but I think I can start brisk walks again and maybe running one softball field lap or two.

There were some twinges in the arch area of my injured foot, but nothing excruciating or alarming.

Until I get back to really running and feeling symmetrical again, I think I need to do ballet, pilates, or yoga every day.

Come to think of it, this might be the thing I was scared to do for this week. I have another dare with myself in mind for later in the week, but it is more personal so it probably won't end up getting posted here. I am still tight on one side of my shoulder/neck area, but maybe more exercise will help.

(which is pretty much my knee-jerk response to life in general these days)

!!!

alr

one hour there, met goal for today!

Peter Maurin

great job with the ballet and the jumps! glad to see you're feeling a bit better!

Spezzy, the Arcane Skirmisher
Chaotic Good Quarter Elf Slayer/Magus
STR: 21 / DEX: 17 / CON: 14 / INT: 15 / CHA 15
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines