• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

obax

obax ~ the long road

It's been a long road, and there's still a long way to go, but I'm gonna keep on going and hopefully I'll get there one day. Nothing new this time 'round, but I know what I need to do to get where I'm going. So let's go, pal.

Fall%2001.gif

A Note

I've discovered the Habitica app, and have been using it for a few days now to track some of the stuff I should be/want to be doing. It's a bit early to see if this will help me with consistency, but it's worth a try. I will put as many of these goals as possible into it for tracking, I'm just not sure how customizable the timing of the tasks is.

Goal 1 ~ Run

Run 2x/week plus hockey, and 3x/week once hockey is over (I think it ends in the 3rd week of the challenge). Do the 2.4k route at least once per week with max effort for that day for the OPP fitness log.

nq1kyowc86jlnx6v9ty0.gif

I will wear more clothing than this, it's far too cold for tighty whiteys, which don't add any rad resistance anyway

Goal 2 ~ ETP and Food Prep

Just eat my macros. Prep food when necessary to make this easier. Don't slack on grocery shopping, go BEFORE the previous batch meals are eaten up.

12104-1-1484466391.gif

No Cram or Dandy Boy Aples, only homemade Radstag Stew and Iguana on a Stick for me!

Goal 3 ~ Pushups and Planks

I was not very successful at remembering to do these in the last challenge, so this time I'm making it a Daily in Habitica and doing pushups one day and planks the next

a6edc38ee81fffa42e7d48b9ef21b457.gif

Maybe once I can do 37 in a row, I'll start doing them with Power Armour on

Goal 4 ~ Physio and Stretching

Do it daily. Tracked in Habitica (I've found a workaround that will allow me to skip a day with no negative consequenses in the app, but it's cumbersome, so I'm just going with daily, and will adjust if needed).

tumblr_nxrh334LhO1qfmwdio2_r3_400.gif

I couldn't find a Fallout-related anything for this, so here's a cute gif of Dogmeat instead. He's kinda stretching out a bit there....

Goal 5 ~ Bedtime

In bed with TV and such off by 11pm on work nights, 12am by non-work nights. This one is in Habitica too.

18324-5-1473620980.jpg

I need all the Well Rested perks I can get...

Goal 6 ~ Fitness Log

Just fill it out daily. I'm terrible at remembering to do this, and then have to try to fill it out as completely as possible for, like, the previous 4 weeks... This will be in Habitica too.

hacker-300x169.png

It's on paper, so I don't even need a hacking perk to do it!

Other Things

I attend a crossfit gym. Lately I've been slacking a bit, partly because I've been prioritizing running, and partly (I think) because I know I'm going to have to give it up at the end of the year, which I really don't want to do because I love it, and it makes me a bit sad when I go. But from now until the end of the year, I'll be going 2-3x/week, I've rearranged my work schedule slightly to make this a bit easier. I will need to decide on a new gym, though. I'm moping a bit, which is making me not want to go look at other gyms (and, most importantly, their prices). I'm also doubting my commitment to lifting, as I kinda feel that, if I'm left to do it on my own I won't want to, because it'll just make me miss the coaching and camaraderie of the crossfit gym. Maybe it'll just take me some time to get over that, but I feel like now is a good time to be looking at gym memberships, since there could be some good deals for the upcoming new year.

I've also signed up for the Mini Challenge. Usually I do this, then promptly forget about it. I've put this in as a weekly task in Habitica, so maybe this time I'll actually participate.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Ene the Gray said:

Love your theme and goals! It makes me want to try out Habitica. Can’t wait to see where it takes you :) 

It seems to be working for me so far, I'm hoping that gamifying things will help me stick to it, but really, just having an easy way to track things in one place will be useful by itself. It takes a bit of time to figure out how to make it work for you, but there's a wiki that explains things in great detail, and the more I learn about how it works the more I realize how useful it could be.

Week 1 Plan

Monday - Gym at noon

Tuesday - run in the afternoon

Wednesday - Gym at 5:30

Thursday - Hockey

Friday - Gym at 5:30

Saturday - Run after work, if time (I have a commitment later on and I'm not sure I'll have time to squeeze in a run in between)

Sunday - Rest day, or catch up on the missed run after work if necessary

• Like 2

Last Day of Zero Week

I had to work last minute yesterday, thus ruining my whole weekend off (I could have said no, but I need the money...) So today became my chore day instead. I did not exercise, as I did get a run in before work yesterday. I got groceries and cooked. I made my World Famous Chicken Soup and then invented a thing that's basically a phyllo pastry lasagna (but without tomato sauce), based on the very loose recipe given to me by a coworker. It's layers of phyllo pastry filled with a mixture of ground beef, onion, cottage cheese, eggs, parsley, Worcestershire sauce, salt a pepper, brushed with copious amounts of butter. I intend to eat this for my breakfasts this week, so I still need to make something (low fat) for meal #3, but what I've got will get me through a day or two until I can decide what that is.

As for goals, I probably won't meet my ETP numbers today, and haven't in a couple of days, as I had no prepared food to eat and had to make due with what I could find in the cupboard and fridge (ended up being rather light on the protein, I think, I mostly didn't even bother to track).  This is why I need to be a bit more on the ball with my grocery shopping and make myself go even when I'm tired, it would have been easy to put on the soup, for example, while I was at work to have it ready when I got home, or to put it on when I got home from work and throw it in the fridge right before bed, but I need to have the ingredients for that to happen.

I may do some pushups and such tonight, but I'm fairly tired, so I'll probably just save that to start tomorrow. I've been meeting my bedtimes pretty well this past week, and should do so tonight as well. I've also been doing my physio and stretching with the help of the Habitica app to remember/motivate me. I haven't filled out my fitness log for a while, but I think I'll just restart that (again) tomorrow as well.

• Like 3

Man I love the theme!  I tried Fallout and couldn't get into it, but I see the appeal.    You really tied it in well together hehe.  Fun stuff!

Great goals too.

The bed time thing can be a shared goal for us.  I'm on that too this time around.

• Like 1

I had to pick up a habit tracking app too, I went with Habit Bull.  I find it's so nice to just be able to track things super simply sometimes.  I hope it works for you, too!

• Like 1

A little late, but present nonetheless!

(and loving the Fallout theme, might I say)

I used Habitica a while back and I seem to remember it working for me. Can't remember why I stopped using it though... I'm glad it's working out for you so far though.

• Like 1

Beginning of Week 1

Off to a bit of a stuttering start, but it's a start. Some of it is circumstance, some of it is my poor choices.

Monday

I went to the gym and did what I was supposed to. Most importantly, I did pushups as part of the workout and maxed out at 15 in the first set, which shocked me, I've had to struggle to get to 10 since I've started to try to get back to it.

I'm fairly certain I made my ETP numbers, but am currently too lazy to double check, despite my phone being approximately 3 inches away...

I did not do physio, and did not make my bedtime (I played video games instead, whoops...)

Tuesday

Day off work, but volunteered in the morning. Did a bit of clothes shopping even though I can't really afford it (I needed some nice clothes for an upcoming xmas party), and, despite the fact that I dread clothes shopping just in general, I ended up feeling a bit good about how the pants I bought looked on me. I didn't get a shirt/sweater, though, and that's always the hard part, so we'll see if the trend of not horrible clothes shopping extends to Thursday when I'm going with my sister for colour advice...

This was supposed to be a run day, but I had a horrible headache that wouldn't leave so I made it a rest day instead and played Fallout 4 the rest of the day. This was pretty much what I needed, so I'm not sorry about this.

I did not make my ETP numbers, I was not very hungry and ended up a bit under.

I did my physio (though it was a little half-assed), but did not make my bedtime (but I wasn't as late as the night before, and successfully resisted the 'just one more short quest' urge that always gets me in trouble, so, progress?)

Wednesday

Ran instead of the gym. I did 2.4k in 15:14, but at least 30-45 seconds of that involved waiting for the light at the intersection. It felt hard breathing-wise, but my legs felt ok.

Did some archery with some friends from my old job after that.

No idea if I made my ETP numbers today or not (I suspect not), work was stupid today and I didn't get a proper break and just grabbed a pita from a place close by and I have no idea what the macros for that pita were, nor do I care to try to figure it out. Breakfast and dinner were both reasonable, so that is what it is.

I'm currently in bed trying to warm up before stretching (we stood around in the cold talking after archery for, like, 40 minutes, which is to be expected, but now I'm freezing), but I think I might just go to bed early, I'm not getting very warm very quickly and will have to miss my bedtime again if I do my physio. I think I'll quickly fill out my fitness log and call that good.

• Like 2

Gosh, you say archery and now I am like... I could add that to my Christmas list.  We have a range just a city or two over... though I've no idea how it all works.  I should probably figure that out first hah.

Grats on the push ups!   And I think you made the right call on nursing the headache.   

Boy oh boy do I know that 'one last quest' struggle.   We'll get there one day!

• Like 1

End of Week One

Thursday

Hockey. I was pretty tired this day, and was expecting to just feel like I was skating in circles and not doing much, but I ended up having decent energy (I did do a bit of skating in circles, but much less than I thought I would). It ended up being ok, even if we lost.

Friday

Gym. Deadlift day, I followed the program and did the WOD.

Saturday

Worked all day, then had some running around to do do, then had a family gathering, which left no time for exercise. I got home late, so I pretty much did none of the things...

Sunday

So very tried, despite having a decent amount of sleep last night. Worked all day again, and when I got home I just didn't have it in my for a run. I played some Fallout 4, did my physio, and will be in bed on time. I forgot about pushups/planks (I'm not even sure which one I was supposed to do today...)

Week One Sum-Up

Not all that great, I only missed 1 run and made all my other workout, but I wasn't great with the other stuff. The Habatica app has helped a bit, but I'm still forgetting about pushups and planks. I think this is just a work in progress, I've been doing some reading about strategies to make Habitica work for you, and I'm thinking of adding in some habits that are already well ingrained that I can check off through the day, which will mean I'm using the app more, which means I'll be looking at my list of habits more, which means (hopefully) I won't forget the pushups and planks as much. I need to figure out what these things will be, but I have a few ideas.

One thing that I've been struggling with is sleep. I haven't been great about bedtimes, but I haven't been super late with them either, but I'm only getting ~6-6.5 hours a night for the most part, and that's not enough for me. I'm not sure what to do about this, the only option I see is an earlier bed time, but I already feel that I don't have enough time some days. I guess I'd just have to rethink my priorities and be more on the ball with my days off. I'm going to see how next week goes and really focus on being good with my bedtimes. If I'm still not getting enough sleep, I'll try to adjust my bedtime.

• Like 5

The plan to use Habitica also for habits that you already have sounds smart. Not only will it remind you to use the app, but I find that  success , even in little things, helps motivate me,

• Like 2

Keep at it! You're making progress and you have a solid plan. I like your idea of putting maintenance habits into Habitica. Good strategy to help trigger other habits!

• Like 1

Week Two Plan

Monday - gym

Tuesday - run if I have time between volunteering and my physio appointment, but if this doesn't happen that's ok

Wednesday - gym (if I ran on Tuesday), or run (if I didn't)

Thursday - hockey

Friday - gym

Saturday - rest day (unless I have considerable vigor after work, in which case run, but this is unlikely)

Sunday - run (unless Saturday was a vigorous day, in which case rest)

• Like 2

The past week was wonky.   So much brain want on doing things, but zero body energy!  I think it was in the air.    

Our week two plan is identical save for I swap the thursday hockey for a run, and have sunday hockey!

I'll stick to it, if you do! :)

• Like 1

Ugh man do I feel you on the sleep.  I REALLY should go to bed earlier but I already have so little time! Though cumulative sleep increases can really affect you over time so I've been dabbling with the idea of just pushing my bed time back by 15 minutes and seeing what it does over the course of a week or so. You probably won't see a difference on day one like a big sleep catch up night gives you, but I think it really might help. And 15 minutes isn't that big of a deal. It might be worth looking at for you as well!

• Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 12:04 PM, Starpuck said:

The past week was wonky.   So much brain want on doing things, but zero body energy!  I think it was in the air.    

Our week two plan is identical save for I swap the thursday hockey for a run, and have sunday hockey!

I'll stick to it, if you do! :)

Deal!

On 12/3/2018 at 4:00 PM, Raxie said:

Ugh man do I feel you on the sleep.  I REALLY should go to bed earlier but I already have so little time! Though cumulative sleep increases can really affect you over time so I've been dabbling with the idea of just pushing my bed time back by 15 minutes and seeing what it does over the course of a week or so. You probably won't see a difference on day one like a big sleep catch up night gives you, but I think it really might help. And 15 minutes isn't that big of a deal. It might be worth looking at for you as well!

I did not know that, though it kinda makes sense, since it seems like lack of sleep works that way too (at least for me, even if I'm only a little bit short every day in a week, I'm beat by the end of the week). Maybe I'll give that a try, and even if 15min each day doesn't help, I can inch my way back over a few weeks rather than trying to cut back by an hour cold turkey. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

Week 2, Day 1

I planned to do some cooking in the morning, gym at noon, then work, but my meat wasn't even close to thawed (like, I couldn't even get it out of the package and I'm not putting plastic or styrofoam into the microwave). I did gym at noon, though, it was squats, and everything felt ok, I didn't feel super strong but I felt pretty good. Pushups were done as part of the WOD, and since it was technically a plank day, I just switched them up and checked off pushups.

I did not meet my ETP numbers, the lack of cooking, being much hungrier than I usually am, and a stupid work schedule saw to that. I got home very late from work (I was supposed to be off at 9:30, and didn't get home 'til 10:15. I was, admittedly, talking with a couple of people at work, but it was the 'hey, I need to get this off my chest but didn't even realize it was on my chest in the first place but thanks so much for listening' kind of talking (I was the listener, not the talker, as I do), not just chatting, so I'm glad I did it, even if it killed what little evening I had. I'm not sure why, but I was exhausted by the time I got home, ate something random to quell the hangry beast, and got straight into bed, no physio, no nothing.

Week 2, Day 2

Volunteering day, which means I don't work at my job but I do get up early and heard some cats (aka. helping in a grade 1/2 classroom, then in a 3/4 classroom. I'm intimidated by children, which is why I'm doing this, and while it's enjoyable, holy by golly are kids exhausting...). Because of the lack of cooking yesterday, I opted to not even try to run before physio but to use that time to cook, since I knew I wouldn't have the energy to cook all the things afterwards. So today became a (very busy) rest day, but all the things are cooked.

I did not meet my ETP numbers, though I'm only short on protein, and that's due mainly to being so busy and not having food ready, so I ate a little randomly. I did not do my planks, because I didn't end up having time before the physio appointment, and the treatments leave me pretty sore and it's recommended I don't do anything strenuous until the next day. I did my stretching and physio exercises. I will fill out my fitness log after this, and will be in bed on time.

• Like 2

Week 2, Day 3

Woke up feeling awful. I was tired and achy everywhere. The day at work just dragged, and I didn't have it in me for a run in the dark afterward, so, in the spirit of doing something rather than nothing, I went to the gym. Objectively I had a good workout, but I didn't feel good about it. Pushups were done as part of the WOD, and I filled out my fitness log, but I don't think I did any of my other goals...

Week 2, Day 4

Still incredibly tired, but not achy today. Not in the greatest of moods. I was weirdly hungry all day, no matter what I ate I was still hungry right after. Maybe my mood was just me being hangry.

Hockey tonight was ok. I felt like I played ok but not great, and I couldn't keep the puck on my stick to save my soul. I did my planks before hockey. I have, at this point, met my ETP numbers, but I'm hungry again, so I may go over and have a snack before bed, I have a hard time getting to sleep when I'm hungry, and the ETP coaches generally are ok with you going over if you're really that hungry, and today I am. I've got my fitness log filled out. I will do a quick round of physio and stretching before bed, I might be a bit late on the bedtime but I don't have to be up early tomorrow so I'm ok with that.

• Like 3

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 6:46 PM, obax said:

olunteering day, which means I don't work at my job but I do get up early and heard some cats (aka. helping in a grade 1/2 classroom, then in a 3/4 classroom. I'm intimidated by children, which is why I'm doing this, and while it's enjoyable, holy by golly are kids exhausting

Good for you.Going out of your comfort zone and doing something good to push yourself. I raised a kid,, but your still right they can be intimidating and exhausting.:friendly_wink:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Good for you.Going out of your comfort zone and doing something good to push yourself. I raised a kid,, but your still right they can be intimidating and exhausting.:friendly_wink:

Normally, when presented with a child, I'm all like:

1UFi.gif

I like kids, I just find them confusing and unpredictable, and I think they mostly feel the same way about me. Mostly my interactions with children end up with us staring at one another like:

John-Stewart-WTF.gif

So far it's been going well, and it gets better each time I learn something new to threaten them with (I take after my mom in that I'm not afraid to lay down the law when necessary, I just need to know what laws to lay down...)

• Like 3

Week 2, Day 5

Day off work for my brother's wedding. It was quick and simple at city hall, so not an all day affair, we just did lunch after to celebrate. I could have technically worked the evening, but I didn't want to.

Gym today, Friday is deadlift day! I'm in a decent mood today, I think a pretty good sleep last night helped with that, as well as the fact that I'm moving along through the monthly hormones... Workout was really good today, and I was able to just focus on the workout and not be too sad about not going back in January (it was a really good group of people today, and man I'm gonna miss that, but today I just enjoyed it).

Pushups were part of the WOD, so that's done. Gonna do my physio etc. shortly, and should be in bed on time. ETP numbers were all good today.

I just realized a flaw in my plan to run both days this weekend, and that's that my work xmas party is Saturday night  at 6:30 and I'm working until 4. I technically have time to get a short one in, but it'll be tight. I think if I can get out the door by 5 at the latest I should be fine, but I'm nothing if not skilled at dragging my ass when it's time to go for a run, so I'll have to buckle down a bit. I definitely need to not make a habit of pushing off my runs until the weekend, I need to space them out better.

• Like 5