• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Elennare

Fat loss AND Performance?

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any good resources for how to do that? Is it even possible? I am an athlete who also wants to lose somewhere around 25 lbs of fat. It seems like when I eat at enough of a deficit to lose fat I start running out of energy during practice really fast and have no bounce back. If I eat enough to fuel good athletic performance, I don't lose any fat.

 

I haven't had a good break with my schedule where I can take the performance hit, and don't know when I'm going to get one, honestly. It seems like there must be a way to have both (I'm fine with not building tons of muscle, I just don't want to tank 5 minutes into practice), but I haven't been able to find any good info on how to do it. Help?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, that's the ultimate trade off.  Lose fat, but eat a deficit and therefore have crappier workouts, or fuel where your activities are and not lose weight.  There's the nebulous section where you might be able to try and find some recomposition talk, which is slow and tedious, and requires being pretty honest on workout levels and food intake.

 

Otherwise, best bet is for some nutrient timing reading.  Eat at a deficit, and make sure you have some carbed-up item before a workout to make it available so you don't gas out during the workout.  Personally I found a serving or so of chocolate covered almonds works amazingly for me.  They are seriously a superfood for me during seminars and long workout sessions with minimal food.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Otherwise, best bet is for some nutrient timing reading.  Eat at a deficit, and make sure you have some carbed-up item before a workout to make it available so you don't gas out during the workout.  Personally I found a serving or so of chocolate covered almonds works amazingly for me.  They are seriously a superfood for me during seminars and long workout sessions with minimal food.

I will look into this!  Thanks! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Nope, that's the ultimate trade off.

 

Otherwise, best bet is for some nutrient timing reading.  Eat at a deficit, and make sure you have some carbed-up item before a workout to make it available so you don't gas out during the workout. 

What Risen said. ;)

 

Check out carb cycling, eat a starting minimum of 1g protein per lb of bodyweight (increase as you continue to lose fat), and find your own sweet spot for deficit without dying during exercise.

 

I'm curious why there's no off season in your schedule - if you're in college/professional sports, your coaches should be helping you program deload periods. If your scholarship or livelihood doesn't rely on your athletic performance, are you certain there's not a 6 week period where you could afford to go a bit easier?

 

25lbs is a fair bit to lose (if you're aiming for fat loss, losing that in pure weight would be easier :D ), it'll likely take several years if you're doing it in shorter bursts. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

 

You could also consider something like MATADOR dieting (two weeks maintenance, two weeks in 25-30% deficit, rinse & repeat), which may be easier to schedule in. Keep a food log for a few weeks - it keeps you honest about what you're actually eating. I'm betting that a gentle deficit like 200-300kcal under TDEE shouldn't gass you too badly. Especially if you're prioritising whole/nutritious foods over the easier processed stuff. 

 

As always when in deficit: get enough sleep, avoid stress, don't neglect NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) activities like walking/easy swimming/hiking/etc for an hour or so a day, eat your veggies, stay hydrated. Caffeine can always help, so long as you don't consume it late enough to effect sleep quality. 

 

Be safe, have fun! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Defining said:

I'm curious why there's no off season in your schedule - if you're in college/professional sports, your coaches should be helping you program deload periods. If your scholarship or livelihood doesn't rely on your athletic performance, are you certain there's not a 6 week period where you could afford to go a bit easier?

 

25lbs is a fair bit to lose (if you're aiming for fat loss, losing that in pure weight would be easier :D ), it'll likely take several years if you're doing it in shorter bursts. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

 

As always when in deficit: get enough sleep, avoid stress, don't neglect NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) activities like walking/easy swimming/hiking/etc for an hour or so a day, eat your veggies, stay hydrated. Caffeine can always help, so long as you don't consume it late enough to effect sleep quality.

It's less that there's no off season than the particular circumstances I've found myself in have resulted in that being the case for me. It's high(ish) level amateur sports. The league I was in had a long season, and right at the end of it I moved, which resulted in changing leagues. The new league lost their practice space and the schedule went sideways and I knew team tryouts were coming but not when, so I needed to be ready. Tryouts are past now, so you would think I could ease up a bit, but it's looking like I am going to have to change leagues again, which will mean more tryouts at a yet-unknown time, so I would like to lose the fat without being all out of shape for likely soonish tryouts.

 

I don't know exactly how much fat weight wise, but that's my guess. Straight weight would indeed be easier to lose, but I've worked hard to put on more muscle the last couple years and I really don't want to lose that.

 

I'm sure stress and sleep have been huge factors in my not losing fat (or weight), because for a good part of the year my stress has been through the roof and I certainly haven't been getting enough sleep. Things are finally calming down so my stress level is dropping, I'm working on getting my sleep back on track, and figured if I could also get my diet dialed in now would be a good chance to actually make some progress with the fat loss.

 

Thanks for the suggestions! I will definitely be looking into these.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Elennare said:

The league I was in had a long season, and right at the end of it I moved, which resulted in changing leagues. The new league lost their practice space and the schedule went sideways and I knew team tryouts were coming but not when, so I needed to be ready. Tryouts are past now, so you would think I could ease up a bit, but it's looking like I am going to have to change leagues again, which will mean more tryouts at a yet-unknown time, so I would like to lose the fat without being all out of shape for likely soonish tryouts.

 

Things are finally calming down so my stress level is dropping, I'm working on getting my sleep back on track, and figured if I could also get my diet dialed in now would be a good chance to actually make some progress with the fat loss.

Yikes, sounds like a crazy year!

 

I know it all sound very hokey, but there's some solid science behind using positive affirmations, gratitude journaling, walking/hiking outside, and meditation as tools to help reduce stress. 'Hope thing calm down for you soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2018 at 11:51 AM, Defining said:

I know it all sound very hokey, but there's some solid science behind using positive affirmations, gratitude journaling, walking/hiking outside, and meditation as tools to help reduce stress. 'Hope thing calm down for you soon.

 

Jumping in late, but it looks like this is your best bet at the moment.  Working on your mental state, relieving stress, and getting good sleep can all contribute to weight loss.  Unfortunately I'm not big on any of those things myself except for maintaining a good sleep schedule.  Just a grabbag of ideas I have basically no experience with because I happened to have just read a chapter of a book on the subject this morning:

  • meditation
  • mindfulness
  • affirmations
  • positive thinking
  • religious practice (pray or go to church/temple/synagogue/mosque/coven for services)
  • gratitude journaling
  • social interaction (sounds like you need to build a relationship with new teammates anyways)
  • massages
  • long baths
  • stretching
  • Yoga
  • breathing exercises
  • limit screen time before bed
  • blackout curtains/sleep mask
  • glass of warm milk/herbal tea
  • no caffeine in the afternoon
  • soothing music (both awake and sleeping)

Warning: booze will put you to sleep but you won't sleep as deeply so it won't help sleep quality overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is possible to loose fat AND not compromise performance/strength. The key is make sure you are getting enough proteins and not loose the weight too fast (no more than 0.5-1lbs per week). The key is to start cutting out fat slowly, if your weight is not going down, then start decreasing your carbs, but never cut down your protein intake. Fill up with proteins and veggies. I was about to loose ~10 lbs while still making strength gains following this principle through the RP diet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.