• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Butternut

Butternut digs for meaning

Yo everyone! 

Long time no see!

I’m tired of chasing happiness. It’s a feeling that only comes when meaning is present.

therefore I’m going to focus on things that is meaningful to me.

1. My focus - My body is a temple.

I find my body is like a savings account. I want to be thriving at 80. So I need to start now at 30. Not over working out, avoiding gluttony, getting my sleep, etc.

2. Weight lifting or calisthenics.

my father has always told me to stay fit enough to be able to run away or grab your child from a fire. Climbing rope, push ups, squats, sprints, even long distance running will help me. It makes me feel strong and capable.

3. Baking Sweets (on weekends) No sugar during the week, no if’s and’s or but’s

Sugar is that bad to the bone boyfriend for me. It’s alot of fun at first but too much of it and I get into trouble. It’s meaningful to make my family sweets. I won my husband over a tray of cookies when we were dating. I love making sweets for him still. My 8yr is learning to bake as well. On the weekends I will enjoy baking, kneading, and mixing up something sweet with wholesome ingredients.

4. Shave my legs daily. 

Sounds funny but I feel awful when my leg hair is long. Also if I shave daily I’ll shower daily too and that only adds to feeling good.

5. Nature.

There has been time I’ve seen people say “only 20 minutes outside” thinking that was nuts! But here I am, getting out of work and going straight jndoors, not even getting 20 minutes daily. It’s getting cold, but I’m not letting that stop me. Being outside means so much to me. Walks, yard work, sitting on the steps, making a fire, playing with the dogs, workout outside, walk to get kids, etc..  no matter what, force 20 minutes daily. When I get home from work I’ll put in my walking shoes 

5. Being a good mom and wife.

Positive reinforcement. Not sure how I’ll measure this, but I know it’s meaningful to me knowing I’m being patient, caring, and spending quality time with my family, dogs too, and re-wording my “Script”

my newest one scripts “ I don’t have to care about my body image because I have strong values”

no one remember my six pack (I don’t have them, it’s just an example) they will remember me from who I was.

other new script “I can’t control if I annoy someone, I will be who I am and that’s the only thing I can do”

6. Me time.....

This is hard for me. But journaling, walks, reading Mark Sisson blogs, a good warm bath, going to bed early, gym time, Ju Jitsu, spending time without the family, hiking with the dogs mean a lot of me. 

7. Water and veggies.

2 veggies daily and 3 jars daily of h2o 

i will mark each number with a “1” everyday for what I did. I’ll cisit daily before I shit my phone off at 830. 

Wow, that’s a lot people! But my life if busy and my goal to just to focus on 2 daily out of the 7. 

Wish me luck and it’s great to be back!

• Like 1

Butternut!!!!

Welcome back.

I think this challenge you are being very realistic with what you need to do. Yes, it looks like a lot but you planned for the busy days. Yes, it is part of who we are to go for all of it, but sometimes something is better than nothing, so 2 or 3 out of 7 is still better than 0 out of 7. I know you got this, and I will be watching for the posts.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Butternut said:

my father has always told me to stay fit enough to be able to run away or grab your child from a fire.

That's some really practical advice. I also heard it's important to be able to fend off an attacker in a real fight. 

16 hours ago, Butternut said:

It’s getting cold, but I’m not letting that stop me.

Not wanting to add more to your plate, but I highly recommend looking into the Wim Hof Method. It transformed how I interact with the cold, especially cold weather (including ice, icy water, and snow).

Your challenge looks awesome, and I am excited to see more. Let me know if I can help in any way.

• Like 1

Welcome back! Sounds like you've got a good set of goals and a good plan in place :D

On 11/26/2018 at 12:08 PM, Butternut said:

4. Shave my legs daily. 

Sounds funny but I feel awful when my leg hair is long. Also if I shave daily I’ll shower daily too and that only adds to feeling good.

You're totally not alone here! I'm currently growing something of a forest myself. Sure looking forward to the day I can be bothered to act on it ;) Good luck with this one, it's a nice easy way to help yourself feel good but also somehow easy to forget!

• Like 2

On 11/26/2018 at 12:36 PM, Wolfen said:

Wim Hof Method.

Dude!! Looked it up, downloaded 3 podcast,  there is 4 inches of snow outside! Thank you! This method seems very interesting and exactly what I need for being a Michigander!

On 11/25/2018 at 8:14 PM, lauragee said:

Hi, nice to meet you! I'm also on the no sweets during the week/healthy baking on the weekend train this month.

Nice! It’s really fun planning “what am I going to bake this weekend?”

i think kn gonna make flourless Chocolate soufflés...

On 11/26/2018 at 8:11 AM, Bean Sidhe said:

Butternut!!!!

Welcome back.

I think this challenge you are being very realistic with what you need to do. Yes, it looks like a lot but you planned for the busy days. Yes, it is part of who we are to go for all of it, but sometimes something is better than nothing, so 2 or 3 out of 7 is still better than 0 out of 7. I know you got this, and I will be watching for the posts.

Bean!! Thank you! I agree! I love having the option of “come on Butternut, just 2 things from my list, that’s it!”

it it seems like such a commitment when you only have 3 goals and YOU HAVE TO HIT THEM EVERY DAY!! 

From the years of being here that’s what I’ve discovered in myself.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Butternut said:

Bean!! Thank you! I agree! I love having the option of “come on Butternut, just 2 things from my list, that’s it!”

it it seems like such a commitment when you only have 3 goals and YOU HAVE TO HIT THEM EVERY DAY!! 

From the years of being here that’s what I’ve discovered in myself.

I will say I started something like this last challenge or 2 ago and it was nice.  It does make it easier when you can pick and choose what you are doing. That being said, when there isn't much "margin" it can be a bit more stressful.

11 hours ago, Butternut said:

1. 0, 0

2. 1, 0

3. 1, 1, (woot! 2 days, no sugar baby!)

4. 1, 0...

5. 0, 1

6. 1, 1 (day with little squash and today with my pups!)

7. 1, 1/2 ( not enough water)

8. 0, 0....

For 0 week, you did great. I see 5 days no sugar and 3.5 of water. That is a good start.

Still cheering.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I will say I started something like this last challenge or 2 ago and it was nice.  It does make it easier when you can pick and choose what you are doing. That being said, when there isn't much "margin" it can be a bit more stressful.

For 0 week, you did great. I see 5 days no sugar and 3.5 of water. That is a good start.

Still cheering.

Sorry for the confusion but the numbers are my tally marks for each day. Lol 

i wish it was a week!! It will be though!

i noticed that with your challenges. It’s definitely easier when you have a busy schedule 

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 1:08 AM, Butternut said:

I also get that, because my hair tends to grow just on the front of my legs, which really infuriates me :P

On 11/26/2018 at 1:08 AM, Butternut said:

my father has always told me to stay fit enough to be able to run away or grab your child from a fire.

That's ... actually a really cool way of determining it! Though I know people get massive amounts of adrenaline in those emergency situations, to be physically prepared in advance is a really good benchmark.

• Like 2

On 12/1/2018 at 1:57 PM, Infinity.Creates said:

That's ... actually a really cool way of determining it! Though I know people get massive amounts of adrenaline in those emergency situations, to be physically prepared in advance is a really good benchmark.

Absolutely ! What if I have to carry my son or daughter for 10 miles to a hospital? I want to be able to have the strength to do so.

well I haven’t been tracking mainly because I’ve been avoiding looking at my phone before bed.

I must say I’m doing very good though! 

Thanks to @Wolfen I’ve been totally enthralled with Wim Hof and he’s method. I really can’t thank you enough for suggestion him!  Not only do I love Mother Earth I’ve always believed we shouldn’t always been in a controlled tempature. 

Think about it, winter, spring, summer, we either warm up or cars or cool them off to 70ish degrees, walk into our work at a 70ish degrees, then home to 70ish degrees.

We need to suffer once in awhile, or ancestors did it for us to get to where we are now. We shouldn’t be sitting around, deteriorating when our bodies are capable of so much more!

my “find meaning” journey is coming out from my breathing, the cold , and love.

My anxiety, stress, and doubt has controlled me for months. And I came to a realization today that I’ve needed this anxiety to get me through the years, to tell me I’m not in the right direction. I needed my self-doubt through out child hood to keep me safe.

but now I’m in a job I love, have a family that is happy, a spouse I’m In love with and he’s madly in love with me....

at this point in my life, I don’t need to allow stress, anxiety, and doubt to take over. 

Tis time to appreciate what I have been working so hard to get in life!

Ive worked hard and sacrificed a lot in my life to get where I am, let me enjoy my harvest and enjoy life! 

Stress and anxiety are tools. I should treat them like that. And I am, while I’m enjoying life :P 

12 hours ago, Butternut said:

I really can’t thank you enough for suggestion him!  Not only do I love Mother Earth I’ve always believed we shouldn’t always been in a controlled tempature. 

Think about it, winter, spring, summer, we either warm up or cars or cool them off to 70ish degrees, walk into our work at a 70ish degrees, then home to 70ish degrees.

We need to suffer once in awhile, or ancestors did it for us to get to where we are now. We shouldn’t be sitting around, deteriorating when our bodies are capable of so much more!

You are very welcome. And it really doesn't take much discomfort to build resiliency. I know Wim Hof is known for doing extreme acts, such as swimming under ice, hiking Everest in shorts, and sitting in an ice bath for hours, but even just walking outside in the cold without a coat or gloves, starting your shower with warm water and then switching to cold, or even just taking a quick dip in a cold river; these things will have a lot of benefits with minimal risk. For example, it was 22 degrees F (-5.5C) this morning, but I drove down the road with the heat off and the windows down. My commute to work takes about 20 minutes, so for 20 minutes I allowed my body to be exposed to cold. It was uncomfortable but also invigorating.

Keep me posted on how things go. If you haven't already, check out the Wim Hof Method app.