• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

AverageFish

Return of AverageFish

I've been sidetracked by travel and minor health problems the last few challenges. In spite of the upcoming holidays, now is a good time to get back on track (most of our family travel and feasting were around Thanksgiving, so the next couple months should be relatively normal.  My goals are similar to my usual:

1. Meditate: At least 10 minutes/day, 5 days/ week

2. Sleep: Lights out at least 8 hours before the alarm will go off

3. PT: At least 2 times/week

4. Time management part 1: start using my time tracking app again

5. Time management part 2: plan tasks for my days off in advance. I find it too easy to waste a whole day if I don't start getting things done early in the morning.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AverageFish said:

I find it too easy to waste a whole day if I don't start getting things done early in the morning.

This is a great thing to be mindful of and it shows maturity. I like that you set goals that are familiar and yet show growth. I'd be curious to know what impact meditation has on the other goals you listed. Like, do you find it easier to manage your time with the clarity you get from meditation. Do you meditate first and then plan your tasks for the day? Do you have a daily routine?

Let me know if I can help in any way.

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 7:19 PM, AverageFish said:

1. Meditate: At least 10 minutes/day, 5 days/ week

5. Time management part 2: plan tasks for my days off in advance. I find it too easy to waste a whole day if I don't start getting things done early in the morning.

1. What is your favorite method of meditation?

5. I need to do this as well!  I had 10 days off from work around Thanksgiving and I spent most of it either sleeping or playing damn games on my iPhone.

Best of luck to you!

• Like 1

On 11/26/2018 at 9:11 AM, Wolfen said:

This is a great thing to be mindful of and it shows maturity. I like that you set goals that are familiar and yet show growth. I'd be curious to know what impact meditation has on the other goals you listed. Like, do you find it easier to manage your time with the clarity you get from meditation. Do you meditate first and then plan your tasks for the day? Do you have a daily routine?

Let me know if I can help in any way.

Thanks Wolfen!

I do focus better and feel less stressed when I meditate. I was meditating early in the morning for a while, but recently I've had sleep troubles so I've been doing it at bedtime. Hard to know if the improved focus is due to meditation itself or to better sleep, likely a combination of the two. 

As for my daily routine, I think my problem is that it's so tightly scheduled most days that when I have a little unscheduled time I just want to relax instead of focusing on getting caught up with the paperwork. Even though I know I would be able to relax even more if I were caught up. My big-picture goal is decreasing procrastination; right now I'm using improved sleep and mindfulness as stepping stones along the way.

• Like 2

On 11/28/2018 at 8:52 PM, LittleTurtle said:

1. What is your favorite method of meditation?

5. I need to do this as well!  I had 10 days off from work around Thanksgiving and I spent most of it either sleeping or playing damn games on my iPhone.

Best of luck to you!

I use the Calm app on my phone. So far I only  have the free content, but even that gives me a fair amount to experiment with. Right now I'm using the first session in the Sleep category because my sleep hasn't been so good.

I had travel and family activities over Thanksgiving, so my only real "goal" was spending quality time with people I don't get to see very often. Not too difficult!

• Like 1

Week 1:

1. Meditate: 1/5

2. Sleep: 1/6, and this week looks worse

3. PT: 2/2!

4. Time management part 1: 1/5

5. Time management part 2: not sure how to score this one; I planned my day off but didn't follow through on the plans. No day off this week, so time to regroup before my next day off.

Week 2:

1. Meditate: 2/5 this week, 3/10 for the challenge so far

2. Sleep: 2/7 this week, 3/13 for the challenge so far

3. PT: none this week, 2/4 for the challenge so far

4. Time management part 1: completely forgot about this this week; 0/6 this week, 1/11 for the challenge so far

5. Time management part 2: no day off this week, so still 0/1 for the challenge so far

I'm not sleeping well if I don't meditate, so I need to prioritize my bedtime routine so I have time to meditate and get to sleep on time. The other things will probably follow from that.

Week 3:

1. Meditate: 1/5 this week, 4/15 for the challenge so far

2. Sleep: 2/7 this week, 5/20 for the challenge so far

3. PT: 1/2 this week, 3/6 for the challenge so far

4. Time management part 1: 2/4 this week, 3/15 for the challenge so far

5. Time management part 2:  1/1 this week (although I didn't do everything on my list, it was enough to count)so 1/2 for the challenge so far

Somehow I was sleeping better this week in spite of no meditation and wildly increased work stress. But I think more meditation will be useful for me for the stressors to come.

Week 4:

1. Meditate: 1/5 this week, 5/20 for the challenge 

2. Sleep: 3/7 this week, 8/27 for the challenge 

3. PT: 2/2 this week, 5/8 for the challenge so far

4. Time management part 1: 1/4 this week, 4/19 for the challenge 

5. Time management part 2:  1/1 this week (Christmas shopping had to be done) so 2/3 for the challenge 

Final thoughts: I was a bit more consistent with my PT this time around, but overall my time management and prioritization have not been good. I still suspect regular meditation will be key to improving in these areas.

• Like 1