Chapter 4: Khari's Faevorite Time of Year

Khari

Good even' fair folk!

The Holidays are a-brewing, and OH BOY are there so many things to do! There are parties and swing dancing and baking and general galavanting! It's a magical time of year!

And when I say magical...I mean completely overrun with the fae. That's right, the sugar fae is still rampant in my life. We've reached a mutual understanding about how most of my life is going to run during a challenge; but it's still ridiculously hard to resist, and I want to think about these foods differently to fully transform my relationship with food. Get that sugar fae out of my life!

That said, there are a few things I look forward to. Egg nog and Christmas cookies are two of them. And if I want to enjoy them in any kind of peace, I will need a few plans in place. 

Thusly, I declare my challenge goals! (Not solely around food, and with more story bits to come ;) )

FIRSTLY, to maintain a healthier relationship with food than I have EVER had during this season.

More specifically, I want to Operate at a Level 7 NF Paleo for 6/7 days of the week. (Or for the entirety of the challenge, with 4 allowed off-plan festivities :) ) This allows for eating things at 3 holiday events I'm attending and 1 'emergency'/accidental off-plan time. I'm also just going  ahead and saying that 1 non-plan drink per week is okay. (I live for paleo wassail and completely conventional egg nog, okay? XD) In addition, I'm going back to food-tracking for a while. This is a sensitive time of year. I need to be aware of what I'm putting in my face. 

SECONDLY, to continue in my rangery training!

The 4-6 workout plan struggled a LOT last challenge. It got cold, I wasn't getting sleep, for a while there I was barely still in the game. I love feeling fit and going out there and accomplishing my goals, though. And my workouts in the morning help me keep my head on straight. So I'm aiming for the 4-6/week again. I like it and I'm keeping it, lol!

THIRDLY, to solidify and utilize that ritual I worked so flipping hard on!

I'm allowing 4 strikes in this department, but the general idea is to complete the ritual, start to finish, every night by 10pm. (In fact, I'd like to be nearing asleep-mode by 10pm on a regular-daily basis). My late nights on Tuesdays are something I'll work hard to work around. 

FINALLY, to give myself a little tough love!

You know that thing where sometimes self-care is taking a bubble bath, and other times it's doing your taxes? I need to do my taxes. I'm setting a goal that every week, I'll accomplish one task to make future-me's life a little easier. I have an example list, and it involves things like putting away my laundry. Faxing an important document. Paying my bills. Taking a nap. I have to do one act of self-care a week. (I think I'm more likely to do this type of self-care, but also more prone to think of the fluffy kind when I'm having a rough time.). So, one extra, kinda hard but worth it task to take care of me, in the midst of all the chaos. 

Seems like a plan. 

And now, ONNNNNNNNNNWAAAAAAAAAAAAARD! :D Good fortune to you all!

• Like 4
8 hours ago, Kharissandra said:

SECONDLY, to continue in my rangery training!

The 4-6 workout plan struggled a LOT last challenge. It got cold, I wasn't getting sleep, for a while there I was barely still in the game. I love feeling fit and going out there and accomplishing my goals, though. And my workouts in the morning help me keep my head on straight. So I'm aiming for the 4-6/week again. I like it and I'm keeping it, lol!

Keeping consistent workouts while the weather gets colder and nasiter is a struggle! Sticking it through is how you make long term progress but liking what you are doing and enjoying the process is key! Following along :) 

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

What is Paleo Wassail?

OH I'm so glad you asked!

Wassail is a winter punch; it can be alcoholic, but for my purposes I keep it alcohol free. The essence of it is cider, spices, and citrus fruits cooked until it's kind of mulled. 

I like to take a gallon of apple cider and add cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, allspice (if I can find it whole, way better), thinly sliced ginger, a sliced orange, and a sliced lemon. I'd add the spices for the first portion of cooking and slice in the orange and lemon for a shorter time (otherwise they can make it kinda bitter). You can add honey, apple juice, or another apple if you need more sweetness, and you cook it down until it's nice and strong. The number of cinnamon sticks and other spices varies depending on how much you want and how spiced you want it. I've seen anything from 2-8 sticks of cinnamon! When I make it, I can give you a little more accurate measurements of things. :)

• Like 1

So...I'm down 2 drink-passes (gave myself 4 for the challenge) due to an amazing cocktail party and some delicious eggnog. Successfully resisted amazing pecan-glazed sweet potato pie tonight. Missed 2 workouts in a row, and today was almost a third. But then I decided working out at 9pm was a better idea. I REFUSE TO GIVE UP ON MY AWESOME BUFF ARMS! THEY'RE COMING ALONG SO NICELY AND NOW YOU CAN SEE DEFINITION IN MY SHOULDERS!

I have also lost 2 nights of on-time sleep (and gave myself a pass for going 5 minutes over due to extra journaling feels.). So I better get myself in my bed stat. Lol, I needed to change my sheets anyway. 

Wish me luck running tomorrow before going to work for 9 hours!

• Like 5

Hey, everyone!

Good news, I managed another 4 workouts this week, and only used my 1st of 4 passes for non-paleo meals. That last run wasn't exactly a run. It was more like indoor-cardio meets DEATH. Seriously, I don't want to do another set of high-knees again as long as I live. XD I need to invest in an extra pair of workout gloves and find out how other outdoor runners keep their faces warm in the winter. If my face and hands weren't so cold, I would actually be fine with running outdoors. 

I did use 2 of my drink passes (cocktail and REALLY good eggnog, as stated above). It's supposed to be one non-plan drink per week; but I'll just stay clean this coming week to make up for it. My roommate bought eggnog unexpectedly, and I decided I didn't want to pass up the chance. 

I also completed my Tough Love portion of the challenge. (I paid a bill and I made a call about my student loan repayment that was stressing me out; I also made a new and improved version of my budget. :D) Next week I'm shooting for putting laundry away, paying a couple more bills, and getting some stuff out of my car so I can donate it. 

Ritual portion of challenge is....better than average for last challenge, but since that doesn't mean much...I've used up all 4 of my strikes (including tonight). Mostly on a person I like, actually. I'm recognizing the need for a contingency plan whenever they come around in the evenings. I just haven't found a good one yet. I'll do some brainstorming tomorrow. 

Thanks for the support, y'all! I'm still strapped for time (gotta start scheduling my down-time a little smarter); I keep making plans with people, and that's not conducive to getting my at home work done. I'll do my best to post again sometime this week with an update! 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Kharissandra said:

I need to invest in an extra pair of workout gloves and find out how other outdoor runners keep their faces warm in the winter. If my face and hands weren't so cold, I would actually be fine with running outdoors. 

*Runs into the room* oh me me!  :P 

The answer is a Buff. :) Buff is a brand name but many companies do them at a wide variety of price ranges. It's essentially a tube of moisture wicking fabric that  can be used in a variety of different ways. They are really quite useful for keeping your face warm when it's freezing cold outside. TBH they are quite useful for many things and as useful for keeping you cool on a blazing hot day (by soaking it or filling it with ice) as it is for keeping you warm on a freezing day. 

batch_BlazeOrangeBuff2.jpg

buff-guide_530x@2x.jpg

As for gloves, mittens are warmer than finger gloves. Especially if the gloves are quite thin but come at the expense of dexterity. Having them made of some kind of wind resistant fabric can also be helpful but it really depends on the kind of conditions you are facing. 

• Like 1

Guys. I have an issue. 

I'm late for bed again. This is 2 strikes over so far. 

And I've reached the point where I'm saying screw it. I'm already late. And I'm stressed out enough about the stuff that I need to do that I'm pretty close to pulling an all-nighter. 

My sweet cat is purring and nuzzling me in an effort to get me to go to bed. He's a good bean. 

But staying up later doesn't hurt me any more than missing my bed time already did. At least, as far as the challenge goes. And frankly, the stuff I need to do has been weighing on me pretty heavily. For months. And tomorrow's my 1/2 day off, and it's pretty much open (other than work for my 2nd, from-home job). 

I also missed my run today ( 2nd run in a row that I've missed, not to mention one of many runs I haven't gone on since it got cold.) And I ate 4.5 cookies just because my roommate wanted to. I may be feeling a little more self-destructive than usual. 

Screw it. I'm taking -5 to my encumberance for tomorrow. We'll probably get swarmed with goblins and an owlbear. 

But maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to see my floor in the morning.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, Kharissandra said:

And I ate 4.5 cookies just because my roommate wanted to. I may be feeling a little more self-destructive than usual.

I had a bunch of sweets this week because I was too tired to care LOL, so don't feel too bad. Just do what you can this challenge and worry about the rest later.

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Kharissandra said:

I also missed my run today ( 2nd run in a row that I've missed, not to mention one of many runs I haven't gone on since it got cold.)

I find it so hard to want to get out for a run once december rolls in. It's really tough to maintain discipline at this time of year! 

11 hours ago, Kharissandra said:

And I ate 4.5 cookies just because my roommate wanted to. I may be feeling a little more self-destructive than usual. 

Own it and move on. There is little point in dwelling on it now just make the next decision a good one. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Kharissandra said:

Guys. I have an issue. 

I'm late for bed again. This is 2 strikes over so far. 

And I've reached the point where I'm saying screw it. I'm already late. And I'm stressed out enough about the stuff that I need to do that I'm pretty close to pulling an all-nighter. 

My sweet cat is purring and nuzzling me in an effort to get me to go to bed. He's a good bean. 

But staying up later doesn't hurt me any more than missing my bed time already did. At least, as far as the challenge goes. And frankly, the stuff I need to do has been weighing on me pretty heavily. For months. And tomorrow's my 1/2 day off, and it's pretty much open (other than work for my 2nd, from-home job). 

I also missed my run today ( 2nd run in a row that I've missed, not to mention one of many runs I haven't gone on since it got cold.) And I ate 4.5 cookies just because my roommate wanted to. I may be feeling a little more self-destructive than usual. 

Screw it. I'm taking -5 to my encumberance for tomorrow. We'll probably get swarmed with goblins and an owlbear. 

But maybe, just maybe, I'll be able to see my floor in the morning.

Sometimes with me, having the goal, and choosing for another reason to not follow it, is really helpful for me in sorting priorities. Sounds like you've thought it through, and decided getting some stuff done was more important. Another thing that helps when I have a time goal is to give myself points for making it on time, then a certain amount of time (say 10 minutes) for a free zone, then a penalty for every 5 minutes I'm late after that. Otherwise, I'm likely to do just like you said, well I already missed the points anyway

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone!

Been kind of a rough week. Got 3/6 workouts done (bodyweight indoors is still kind of a thing, although I miss the park!). Also, thanks to the kind advice of @jonfirestar, I now have a warm buff on the way so I can get back out there and run through the horrible, frosty tundra. (I mean...normal midwestern terrain. yeah.) I did try to get a run in indoors this week, but the program I normally use wasn't available to me, and I decided not to after all. (Running in place in a cold basement seemed too dismal, lol.) Most of the trouble in that direction has been waking up so late (because I'm admittedly having a lot of trouble with the sleeping at night thing again); so implementation of new strategies toward success starts tomorrow. Been pretty stressed out (I may've whipped up a batch of cookie dough and stuck it in the freezer without baking any, just to relieve the desire to bake cookies); but I think I'll do better this coming week. 

The weirdest part of it is, there have been some real positives. I got to go out dancing the other night for the first time in months, I've been seeing a lot of this person I like, and tonight I got to go volunteer at a really awesome event! I think I might just be emotionally exhausting the introvert in me a bit, though. And then I lack the emotional energy to make good decisions for my own well-being like "hey, maybe the solution to how bad we feel is getting less tired by going to bed right now, not pretending we don't feel this bad by doing X!" Or "maybe the disappointment you feel about Y happening isn't a good reason to bake a cookie just because it's your night off plan. Maybe it's a good reason to journal for a few minutes or write for a bit or make a creative thing instead, and then practice self-care!"

In other news? I bake a darn good cookie. (Just the one. Tonight was a planned off-paleo meal night, and I decided I really, really wanted a cookie. I'll just be extra sure to hit my goals hard this week! After all, I'm like +3 to my next encounter now!)

On 12/6/2018 at 12:11 PM, Elastigirl said:

Sometimes with me, having the goal, and choosing for another reason to not follow it, is really helpful for me in sorting priorities. Sounds like you've thought it through, and decided getting some stuff done was more important. Another thing that helps when I have a time goal is to give myself points for making it on time, then a certain amount of time (say 10 minutes) for a free zone, then a penalty for every 5 minutes I'm late after that. Otherwise, I'm likely to do just like you said, well I already missed the points anyway

That's a good point, and a good idea. I'm gonna craft that into this challenge and see if I can scrounge a success from it. Thank you!!

On 12/6/2018 at 10:58 AM, jonfirestar said:

Own it and move on. There is little point in dwelling on it now just make the next decision a good one.

That makes sense. I held onto this encouragement when I was wavering this week. Thank you!

On 12/6/2018 at 9:32 AM, Jupiter said:

Just do what you can this challenge and worry about the rest later.

You too, friendo! Thanks for the encouragement. We're gonna find our way through this. It does feel a little like slogging through hot fudge, though. 

I'll keep y'all posted on new strategies as I find and incorporate them. I thought I would find time during the week, but I didn't. So I'm setting myself a time aside tomorrow (11-1ish) to have lunch and reflect on some stuff. I expect sitting down for it to be pretty tough, as I'm a bit scared of my own mind sometimes (even though I'm an introvert; it's a very exhausting life I lead). But I know I need it if I want to actually achieve these goals. So I'm gonna. And I'm gonna do better for it. And I'm gonna level up, darn it! :D

• Like 4

P.S. 

I haven't noticed a chance to story-ify this challenge so far. I want to; maybe tomorrow I'll see it in a different light. For now, it's 1am, and I'm supposed to be up in the morning. Good night, all! 

And again, thank you for being here through this. Your encouragement is sometimes the only way I make it through the day. I appreciate you sticking it out with me. <3

• Like 4
On 12/9/2018 at 5:52 AM, Kharissandra said:

lso, thanks to the kind advice of @jonfirestar, I now have a warm buff on the way so I can get back out there and run through the horrible, frosty tundra. 

No problem, I hope it works :) I really couldn't do without it once snow starts falling and other crazy things. I avoid running on the treadmill as much as I can! 

On 12/8/2018 at 10:52 PM, Kharissandra said:

The weirdest part of it is, there have been some real positives.

Yay for positive things!

Is there something you can do before bed so you can kind of take a step back from the stress? Meditation, reading or some chamomile tea maybe? Or I think there's an app with calming sounds that's supposed to help you sleep?

• Like 1

Hey, yall!

Sooooo, interesting week. I'm starting to get better at the food journaling thing again (I lost more of that habit than I thought. It's good to be back on it again.) I've been eating my weight in nuts. (The positive side of this is that, even though I broke up with someone on Wednesday, this is about as close to binge-eating my feelings as I have come.) I also made flourless muffins (which are mostly almond butter and apples. Probably not my best idea, but at least there's something portable in the house for all those times I want to reach for nuts or am running out the door!) I used my final "break" shall we say (as in "taking a break" lol) on a batch of cookies we bought from a company that employs survivors of human trafficking. (The sweet taste of freedom...so worth it. :)

Workout wise, the first part of the week was looking a lot like last week. I just....didn't work out. At all. So on Wednesday night I was texting a couple friends (helping me not whip up a batch of almost-paleo no-bake chocolate chip cookie dough) and asked one of them to be my nemesis. And bet her $10 that I was gonna work out the next day. She bet me another $10 that she would work out first. And then on Thursday I did a strength workout at 5:15 AM. Friday was my day off, so I ran in the park (in the suuuuuun) for the first time in AGES. Saturday I snuck in a quick strength before work. And today I ran in the "civil twilight" (right after sunset, but before the woods got dark.) It's been death getting out there. But I did. And now I have warm things to make it bearable. (They came in Thursday.) I'm very excited. I just haven't figured out what to bet my arch nemesis next. (That I'll actually get to bed on time this week, maybe XD)

I've gotten another 2 days of on-time ritual in (and one almost-hit it day where I just looked up and went Oh WOW There's ONLY 15 minutes left! Better get to bed! Which is actually kind of improvement?) I'm going to make it to bed on time tonight, so that'll be a record, and then I have all of next week to get it together. 

I did decently on Tough Love Self-Care this week. I had a tough conversation with my partner, which turned into a breakup. Hard, yes. But I think in some ways necessary. I only managed to put half the laundry away so far. But I can work on the other half this week. And I changed my sheets. AND I took a nap! So that's been nice. :)

I did strategize on the issues I've been running into the most, and I'm working on incorporating some of the ideas I wrote down. They mostly consist of doing something self-care-like to separate myself from the anxiety of the situation (meditating for 3 minutes, doing a creative thing for 10 minutes, etc), reassessing now that I'm not directly in the middle of THE FEELS, and then going to bed. It's a learning curve, but I'll get there!

On 12/10/2018 at 8:45 PM, Jupiter said:

Is there something you can do before bed so you can kind of take a step back from the stress?

That is actually part of the ritual! I've been journaling how the day's gone, and then the plans for the next day (so I can get it out of my head, as I will stay up worried I will forget something otherwise); and then meditating. The problem is, I'm still pretty new at meditation, so it doesn't really shut off my head if I'm really stressed. It works when I'm only kinda stressed, though. I'm guessing it gets more effective with practice. 

On 12/10/2018 at 6:02 AM, jonfirestar said:

I avoid running on the treadmill as much as I can! 

I avoid running on the treadmill so much that I don't even have one XD But yes, I'm thoroughly excited to have warm things. I took a picture when it came in (I'll paste it below). Thank you so much!

Thanks for sticking it out with me, you good beans! I reallly appreciate it. ONNNWAAAAARD :D

• Like 3

Sorry about your break- up, but sounds like you were really wise  and brave in handling it. Really cool that you could enjoy a sweet treat and help a company that is helping survivors of human trafficking.  Love how you and your friend bet each other and motivated each other!

12 hours ago, Kharissandra said:

The positive side of this is that, even though I broke up with someone on Wednesday, this is about as close to binge-eating my feelings as I have come

That is really positive. Sorry to hear about the breakup but from what I can glean it sounds like it was due. That still doesn't make it easy.  

12 hours ago, Kharissandra said:

I avoid running on the treadmill so much that I don't even have one XD But yes, I'm thoroughly excited to have warm things. I took a picture when it came in (I'll paste it below). Thank you so much!

I don't have a treadmill but I have a gym membership so treadmills are available, but they suck. I can go out into the countryside and run for hours at a time but stick me on a treadmill for 10 minutes and I start going crazy! 

On 12/16/2018 at 4:52 PM, Kharissandra said:

Workout wise, the first part of the week was looking a lot like last week. I just....didn't work out. At all. So on Wednesday night I was texting a couple friends (helping me not whip up a batch of almost-paleo no-bake chocolate chip cookie dough) and asked one of them to be my nemesis.

I'm sorry about the break up. :( 

Having a nemesis sounds fun. 

• Like 1

So, good news, I've done 2 runs, 1 strength workout, and in the middle of the second run I threw in some strength training for funsies (?). So I'm mostly back on track there. (I missed my run yesterday, but I didn't want to miss my strength day today, so I added a few reps of bw stuff half-way. Cooomprommmiiiise???) I've also been being majorly successful getting to bed on time this week. (Full stats later, lol.) 

That said, I'm going to be honest, kind of a crappy week so far. (Sorry, I know, it's been SUUUUCH a fun-fest over here recently.) I'm taking a night off paleo. (I've used up my planned breaks, but frankly, I don't think one extra for the mental boost will kill me. Right now I could use the mental boost.) I can't tell if I'm letting myself down or if this is a legitimate, calculated maneuver to take some of the stress off. I survived an entire Christmas potluck without breaking from the plan; but now I'm out of spoons. I could use an extra spoon. I'm gonna go spend some family time and eat something off plan while doing so. I feel weird doing this, but I feel weirder doing it and not telling you all. We'll be back to our regularly scheduled programming in the morning. <3

Oh and @Jupiter? Stole the idea from Steve. https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/comic-book-hero/ Having a nemesis is rad. I bet her the same $10 that I would go on another workout in the morning, knowing I didn't feel like it. And I went. Try it out! :D

Update: Just remembered. I had a drink pass left over. While a hot fudge sundae (and a handful of craisins on a salad at dinner) is not comparable to a mug of hot chocolate, I can set aside that unused drink pass and at least take a little pressure off for it. And tomorrow's just going to be stellar eating and workouts to help balance it out. Long-term, I really need to think about other ways to release some tension than eating ice cream. What's done is done. It was delicious, I'll make better choices tomorrow. <3

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Kharissandra said:

I can't tell if I'm letting myself down or if this is a legitimate, calculated maneuver to take some of the stress off

In the long run, does it matter?

Real talk: no one is 100% perfect. It's what they do when they struggle that matters more. If the mental boost you are going to get is a bigger benefit to you than staying Paleo for one day, do it with no guilt. You aren't going to undo all of your hard work off of one evening. You'll be able to come back stronger with your head in a good place the next day.

• Like 1