• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shello

Shello's Intentional Challenge

Ah, the final challenge of the year.  It's about time.  I've really been riding the struggle bus lately.  Last challenge totally fizzled out, to the point where I wasn't even checking in anymore.  I still have the same goals, the same why's but I just don't seem to care enough at the moment to push myself to achieve them.  

Apart from not having the drive to stick to my goals, not having as much time is a factor too.  I have a similar unproductive attitude about how I spend my time. I have things I want to do but when I actually have free time to spend, I waste it away.  I make lists of things that need to get done, things that I want to get done, and things that should get done but I often find that I don't want to do them when I should do them so I end up procrastinating by watching trash TV, social media, or video games. At the same time, the guilt of not getting things done keeps be from enjoying the 'free' time.  

During the last Ranger mini I realized that for the most part, the things that I HAVE to do are the same things I WANT to do;  sometimes the things that I WANT to do feel like the things that I HAVE to do.  It's all in how I think about them and the expectations I have about them. Things I enjoy doing lose their appeal when they become a chore.  Chores aren't bad if I can choose when to do them.  I also discovered that if I plan a little lot less and make intentional choices when I have time to spend that I get to more of those things that I want to do, feel more productive overall, and feel less guilt about choosing to do nothing productive.  

That's a long way to get to the goals but you're welcome.  I figure I can apply this intentionality to all of my goals.   All my usual goals, other than food and hydration, come down to how I spend my time.  Going to the gym, hobbies, keeping a tidy home, staying in touch with friends and family, social activities, spending time with the kids are all ways I spend my time.  I can make similar intentional choices with what foods I eat and staying hydrated.  It's clearly a good idea to eat more freggies, less sugar, more water, less diet soda but I want to be able to make those choices because I want to, not because I should. 

The one and only goal - Make intentional choices.

Naturally, some things really do NEED to get done at a certain time.  I need to be on time for work, the dog needs regular care, and the kids need to be at certain places at certain times.  Barring all those necessiIties, I will make intentional choices with my time.   If I chose to watch a movie or play video games, then I will do so without guilt.  But I will also be aware not to use those activities to avoid other things or out of habit.  When I am hungry or want a snack, I will make choices intentionally.  If I want a treat, I will have it without guilt.  But I want to be aware of falling into the trap of eating junk mindlessly, as a filler, rather than intentionally and truly enjoying it.  

• Like 8

I love your goal! 

Maybe you want to join the intuitive eating group? It's all about making conscious choices and taking care of your body:

11 hours ago, deftona said:

Intentionally following! 

<4

10 hours ago, Terah said:

I love your goal! 

Maybe you want to join the intuitive eating group? It's all about making conscious choices and taking care of your body:

Thanks for the heads up.

7 hours ago, TimovieMan said:

Following for the intentionality (and because I want to, not because I have to). B)

i am glad you are here (and that you want to)

4 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I intentionally choose to follow this challenge :) 

I intentionally welcome you!

4 hours ago, EmCee said:

Love this goal! Totally here to follow along and be inspired to make more intentional choices. 

Hi!  I hope it's beneficial.

3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I intend to follow this.

Glad to have you!

• Like 2

Following.

I got some good advice a couple months ago. It was advice that went against every fiber of my super-structured being: Throw out the to do list. The things that are important will get done.

With a new house this spring and a kid on the way next spring, I have been repeatedly tempted not to follow this advice. I should make a list for the next 12 months of life for sure! But no. I'm not. And because I'm not making lists, when there are too many things in my head I am forced to step back, take only a small chunk, and move on. I'm not always good at that, mind you. But I'm working on it. The dog, the job, and the kids will be fine. If you forgot about something else and played a video game, it obviously wasn't that important.

55 minutes ago, DrFeelgood said:

Accidentally following.  ;)

I'll take it no matter how you end up here.

43 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

Following.

I got some good advice a couple months ago. It was advice that went against every fiber of my super-structured being: Throw out the to do list. The things that are important will get done.

With a new house this spring and a kid on the way next spring, I have been repeatedly tempted not to follow this advice. I should make a list for the next 12 months of life for sure! But no. I'm not. And because I'm not making lists, when there are too many things in my head I am forced to step back, take only a small chunk, and move on. I'm not always good at that, mind you. But I'm working on it. The dog, the job, and the kids will be fine. If you forgot about something else and played a video game, it obviously wasn't that important.

I'm tempted to go this route but is tough to let go for sure.  By biggest issue would be forgetting about something when I still have the luxury of doing it whenever I want to and then remebering it when it's last minute and then I HAVE to do it.  

Week 1 Day 1

Yesterday was a good day.  I have been struggling to stick to IF but I also don't necessarily plan to eat breakfast.  Yesterday I grabbed a pack of Poptarts as a precaution.  I was a bit hungry, enough to be distracted, so I chose to have a Poptart.  I chose not to eat the whole pack.  I was thirsty after having a diet soda with my lunch.  I chose to walk downstairs to fill up my water container and to get some steps.  Then I changed my mind and had another diet soda anyway.  I chose healthy snacks all afternoon.  Exchange student and I baked the night before and made praline pumpkin cheesecake bars.  I chose to have one of those and enjoyed it immensely.

Monday night is scout night.  I didn't want to go but there was the potential for money to collect so I HAD to go.  I chose to go late instead.  No body turned in any money.  Before going exchange student and I baked a chicken and potato hotdish that she found on Pinterest.  That will be out dinner for the rest of the week.  It's not healthy.   After scouts I didn't feel like doing much. I chose not to do a workout.  But I did chose to go through some paperwork and adulting while I multitasked and watched an episode of trash TV.  I finished cleaning up the kitchen and went up to bed early. 

I'm trying out the curly girl method for hair care so I wrapped my hair for the night and settled in to watch one episode of trash TV without multitasking.  But I was getting pretty tired so I chose not to finish it and went to bed early-but-not-really-early.  

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Shello said:

Week 1 Day 1

Yesterday was a good day.  I have been struggling to stick to IF but I also don't necessarily plan to eat breakfast.  Yesterday I grabbed a pack of Poptarts as a precaution.  I was a bit hungry, enough to be distracted, so I chose to have a Poptart.  I chose not to eat the whole pack.  I was thirsty after having a diet soda with my lunch.  I chose to walk downstairs to fill up my water container and to get some steps.  Then I changed my mind and had another diet soda anyway.  I chose healthy snacks all afternoon.  Exchange student and I baked the night before and made praline pumpkin cheesecake bars.  I chose to have one of those and enjoyed it immensely.

Monday night is scout night.  I didn't want to go but there was the potential for money to collect so I HAD to go.  I chose to go late instead.  No body turned in any money.  Before going exchange student and I baked a chicken and potato hotdish that she found on Pinterest.  That will be out dinner for the rest of the week.  It's not healthy.   After scouts I didn't feel like doing much. I chose not to do a workout.  But I did chose to go through some paperwork and adulting while I multitasked and watched an episode of trash TV.  I finished cleaning up the kitchen and went up to bed early. 

I'm trying out the curly girl method for hair care so I wrapped my hair for the night and settled in to watch one episode of trash TV without multitasking.  But I was getting pretty tired so I chose not to finish it and went to bed early-but-not-really-early.  

That's a lot of choices based on what you really wanted, rather than what you should be doing. This was posted by a very powerful, in-control Shello

• Like 1

On 11/25/2018 at 11:21 PM, Shello said:

I also discovered that if I plan a little lot less and make intentional choices when I have time to spend that I get to more of those things that I want to do, feel more productive overall, and feel less guilt about choosing to do nothing productive.  

I can relate to this SO HARD. I really love your goal and this challenge in general - it really sounds like a recipe for whatever you intend success to be :D

8 hours ago, Shello said:

and watched an episode of trash TV

What is your trash TV of choice?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Raxie said:

I can relate to this SO HARD. I really love your goal and this challenge in general - it really sounds like a recipe for whatever you intend success to be :D

What is your trash TV of choice?

Last night it was Teen Mom and Real Housewives of OC.  I'm a sucker for fake reality TV.  

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Shello said:

Last night it was Teen Mom and Real Housewives of OC.  I'm a sucker for fake reality TV.  

Considering I watch Dance Moms I am sooooo not judging XD

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Week 1 Day 2

Yesterday was an ok day.  I chose to start the day with the other Poptart from the package.  Lunch was the usual but I did find time to do some NFing during my lunch.  We can't eat at our desks anymore and I typically worked through my lunch since technically I NFed throughout the day.  Since I have to leave my desk to eat, I just grabbed my laptop for some quick NFing.  I finished lunch off with a monster cookie the kids had made.  Later in the afternoon I felt the need for a snack.  I chose to have a healthy snack first but I quickly realized it wasn't hitting the spot.  I figured I must not actually be hungry so I abandoned the snack entirely and chose to drink more water.  

After work I chose to attend a social event and met some new people.  I have an app where local people can organize social events with other like minded people.  Someone had started an IF group and planned a meet and greet type thing.  We met at Panera.  There were only 3 of us there.  One has done a lot of research and likes to experiment with different diets for health reasons.  The other was someone trying to use IF for weight loss.  She just started going to the gym.  We are meeting again in a month.  This is another possible source of accountibility.  I did choose to have a half grilled cheese and a small bowl of mac and cheese. 

Once home I chose to have another praline pumpkin cheesecake bar.  I cut this one larger than the one the day before because it was so good.  I regretted that choice.  It was late by the time I got home and I didn't feel like doing much but I also didn't want to do nothing.  I chose to get some chores done so I did the tiniest amount of laundry I could get away with.  Then I chose to play fetch with the puppy and then do a little bit of NFing while I multitasked with the TV.  I put on a show I don't normally watch and it was just a distraction.  I gave you guys my full attention until Below Deck was one for my nightly trash TV fix.   Partway through that I put the dog to bed and went up to wrap my hair and finish the episode in bed.   

I half assed logging my food; just enough to confirm my choices were decent despite the bigger cheesecake bar and a cookie.  

• Like 8

20 hours ago, Shello said:

NFing

Haha I love this word! :D

20 hours ago, Shello said:

praline pumpkin cheesecake bar.

That sounds soooo good! 

23 hours ago, Raxie said:

That meet up group sounds awesome!

I like it.  It's hard for me to walk into a group of strangers and start talking to people.  I'm learning.

22 hours ago, deftona said:

I love the idea of the meet up group, did you get on well with anyone you met there?

They were pleasant enough people.  We'll see how we get along after another meeting.  I did meet this very outgoing lady at another event.  She's seems pretty social so we might schedule a happy hour or something.  She seems like she'd be a good wingman. ;) 

3 hours ago, Terah said:

That sounds soooo good! 

It is very good. :D 

1 hour ago, DrFeelgood said:

4cf45c2b0951a6226adc2a16e2afc18f5624cd02

It seems appropriate.. B) 

• Like 2

Week 1 Day 3

IF fasting has become more difficult now that my body is becoming accustomed to Poptarts for breakfast.  I chose not to disappoint it this morning and go with the flow.  I've also grown accustomed to something sweet after lunch but I didn't pack anything.  I chose to hit the vending machine and I grabbed a pack of 2 giant M&M cookies.  I had one and saved the other for later.  In the afternoon I chose to have celery and PB instead of another cookie.  

My schedule with the kids is different this week and they came back from their dad's a couple days early.  I had planned to hit the gym and see if someone wanted to come with me.  But once we were all home the kids wanted to do something 'not boring'.  This happens a lot but the kids never want to do anything I come up with and all their ideas involve spending money.  But Peach devised a plan to run to get some pizza rolls and then play video games.  I chose to go along with the plan since they don't normally want to spend that much time with me.  Qbert is usually doing homework of spending every waking moment with his gf and Peach would rather be with no one.  So I grabbed a frozen pizza and they had pizza rolls and we played Just Dance.  My Fitbit registered a 40 minute workout during the evening so I guess I accomplished what I planned to do.   

By the time we finished playing around it was getting late.  I chose to stay downstairs after the kids went to their rooms and let the dog get tired out.  But I needed to wash my hair.  It was curl day 3 on the curly girl method and it was a frizzy mess.  I still haven't purchased the right products yet so 3 days might be pushing it.  I put Dottie in her kennel and then ended up wasting a bunch of time on social media before washing my hair.  I didn't really choose to do it but once I went upstairs, the bed looked more inviting than the shower.  I did get my hair washed but got to bed later than I would have liked.  

• Like 6

On 11/29/2018 at 7:13 PM, Shello said:

we played Just Dance. 

I love doing this with my boys! It's so adorable, and I often lose because I look more at them than at the screen :D

On 11/29/2018 at 7:13 PM, Shello said:

giant M&M cookies

Why have I never seen those around?! That sounds absolutely delicious!

• Like 1